Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
omfug88

Connection/Vista problems?

Ok, so I am having some problems connecting. But before I go on, let me say I have vista and this may be a vista issue, idk. Anyways, I downloaded the game client and installed. When I opened it, it took me to the login screen. I typed in an old account that I used to play on. When I clicked the log in buton, it didnt do anything. There was no response at all. It recognized that I had clicked, but made no attempts to connect to the server. So I went through a character creation, and tried to create a character, but when I clicked done for the second time, it did the same thing as when I had tried to log in earlier. So I read through the forum and tried what piper had said for other people to do. I made sure port 2000 was open. I have AVG, not Norton, but I disabled it and my firewall, I installed telnet, and went through cmd prompt to make sure i could connect to the server, as well as that greenleaf text game that piper was having ppl test their connection on. So far, none of this has worked, so I then set EL to run in admin, and made sure all my drivers were up to date. They are, and it still isnt working. So I am going to guess that this is a vista problem. Any ideas?

Specs:

Vista

Intel Core Duo 1.73GHz

1GB RAM

NVIDIA 7600

105GB Hard Drive

Cable - 388kbps

there wasnt an error log, because there wasnt a game error. it was running perfectly fine, just no connection. but if u need anything else, let me know.

there wasnt an error log, because there wasnt a game error. it was running perfectly fine, just no connection. but if u need anything else, let me know.

There should still be an error log which it creates when running the game. It will dump some info about your video card (iirc) and some other basic info even if there are no errors.

However, the directory that Vista forces the files to be created in (if not running in admin mode) is a little strange. I can't remember it off-hand, but it is mentioned around the forums so see if you can find it.

Out of interest, which drivers are you using? Microsoft's dodgy ones or Nvidia's official ones?

If neither of the telnets yielded results, which is what it sounds like (that bit is unclear), then something on your network is blocking port 2000. Check your router setup, ask your network administrator if you're on a shared network, and call and ask your ISP if you're playing from home. One of them, or your firewall which you have disabled, is blocking port 2000 outgoing. May have to close the firewall entirely instead of disabling if it's a non-Windows one, some are nasty and close all ports when disabled.

When I clicked the log in buton, it didnt do anything.
If neither of the telnets yielded results, which is what it sounds like (that bit is unclear), then something on your network is blocking port 2000.

It's not a problem with connecting to the server. The client connects to the server when it gives you the green welcome message, *before* the login screen. In fact, you can't get to the login screen or create a character without being connected to the server.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this