Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LilBear

Why those updates keep you playing, even if you don't like them.

I was merrily reading a book on digital media and happened upon a chapter of learning in (video)games. Lots of the things the author says are directly applicable to EL, but there is this one section that immediately reminded me of all the hissy-fits we like to throw when Ent incorporates a new feature in the game that we don't like. I was thinking to myself, "I sort of knew this, but this guy lays it right out there" so I wanted to share it with you.

"Expertise is formed in any area by repeated cycles of learners practicing skills until they are nearly automatic [[all I got to say is: fire essies...]], then having those skills fail in ways that cause the learners to have to think again and learn anew. Then they practice this new skill set to an automatic level of mastery only to see it, too, eventually be challenged. [[nightvision, horoscopes, adjusted rates for enhanced essies, and old/new style PK are just some examples that fit here]] (...) The cycle of expertise (...) creates (...) a feeling of accumulating knowledge and skills, rather than standing in the same place all the time or always starting over again at the beginning."

In plain English: When Ent throws us all a curve ball by changing something we're used to, we actually get re-motivated to keep playing. So, stop complaining everyone, Ent only wants the best for us :laugh:

lilbear

I agree. I love it when new things are added so we can aim to achieve them and by that time yet more things will be added :laugh:

That's exactly why I love the game being in Eternal Beta: I like new challenges. Challenges provide me with new opportunities to show how bright (or rather not) I am.

That's also why I am permanently on Debian Unstable since 1997... :( and probably, why from time to time I cannot even boot my PC. :P

Nice quote Lil!

Another thumbs up :(

The best example I can think of is the implementation of 'Cooldown'! Man, did the fur fly!! Thinking back on it, I can't remember exactly what it replaced, but I think it took extra time to mix an FE, or like that. I know one thing for sure, if the system was changed back the way it was the fur would start flying again!! :P

Well, duh :pickaxe:

If you don't do anything, people complain there are no updates and leave.

If you do stuff, people complain that "omg, this ruined/will ruin the game and pk and economy" but most of them don't leave, and some even start liking the new features.

this is kinda true and at the same time BS..

it's not like people will stay after countless updates that they don't like..

but at the same time people will have something else to do then the daily routine (which keeps some playing)

Can you imagine designing this behemoth?? Jeez!! Anything you spend precious hours on, and half the players don't notice.... the other half hates you and quits! I wouldn't wish that on teh Gods.....

:P

Some people give up too easily and don't give changes a chance. I could've given up when vials weren't all recyclable but I just learned to cope with it.

One funny thing for me is the new PK server. I am completely fascinated by it and I am as far from a PK'er that a player can get.

There's something just compelling about it for me ( :D arfin' midlife crisis, probably :laugh: ) and I've noticed other non-PK'ers interested as well. I have no explanation for it!

A new server isn't necessarily an 'update', but it's an addition to EL, that I expected to not be interested in. Guess I'm stuck on EL.... How many Picky-Points can I buy for 1500 shares of Google? If um.... such a thing...

Edited by Mugwump

Updates make the world go round :)

Whether they're "good or bad" updates, I remind myself that everyone is affected as well so I can share in their bliss/disgust.

Keep the updates coming ent! :evilgrin: