Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Alternative PKing system

actually agree with ohmygod... it's about the fun of pking... why would you need any advantage on EMu or drops?

Erm you got me wrong. Im FOR big advantages, why? to off set the 80% pain in the ass it will be being pkable and make people think being pkable is not such a bad idea.

The problem with getting exp/drops bonus is that people who train in crowded area's won't be able to train, since other people can just kill (yes they turn pk'able too, but why not just call in their yeti training friends who are already pk'able) them or chase them away (especially if u train ts'd). It will only benefit the stronger people who train in almost deserted places like Tirnym, or in pk area's like Hulda/Imbro/Aeth Aelfan NW corner... I'm sure you and quite a few yeti trainers could benefit from it, since there are a few Yeti spawns in PK, and all arctic chim/giant spawns are already in PK, and you don't need to harv for your gc (although whenever i see you with a harv cape, its in a semi-pk map, no doubt because the storage on that map is outside, and you don't need to go into a cave and risk hellspawn to get to what you harv), but how will a fluff trainer like Nostalg benefit if they cant get a decent spawn to train, and if he cant harvest to get gc? Not even mentioning lower lvl's than fluff trainers.

1 month IS too long... this idea and having advantages WONT increase PK if its implemented like you suggest it... it will only give another pp'less neg perk... and only the strongest will take it, since only they can survive that long while being pk'able and still be able to play (sorta) like normal.

To make people PK is simple: make PK fun, and not too costly... 2 ways to do that: every1 goes to pk naked or in n00b gear, or rosto's cost 500gc... and since the latter wont happen, Conavar's idea about making yourself pk'able for a certain amount of deaths is the closest we can come to #1.

Sorry for making such a long post... wont post another comment since i hav no more to say.

I wasn't asking for bonuses ^^ I just said a level limit for who can attack who. that way every 1 and their brother can't be killed by teh deadly OMG xD. shoot. I'd be exstatic over a 5% increase in exp lol.

-Stricken

p.s. I have 3 total wars :> and 5 frags and in my old guild AnTi we got 17. I think the most in game :P who can top that?

If your not going to do the command then stay the fuk off this thread.

Sure. I will stay off this thread and just watch the game getting fucked up. I would only like to remind you, PKers are not the majority of the community. They will never be. So, please, do not try to shut our mouth up, because you don't like what we say.

Edited by Kheres

and idk why I post this, you cant find more than 3 players who'll realy use it, regardless of advantages (2x a/d exp, 2x monster drops or so ...) and its not about system, its about players

This is incorrect, go check out pk maps that are used for training (e.g. zirak/EVTR) on Sun Tzu day and you realise people WILL take the risks for certain reward.

OMG's post (#61 on thread) sums my views well -- except posting on this thread has compulsory service attached :P

EG

Edited by evilgeorge

If your not going to do the command then stay the fuk off this thread.

Sure. I will stay off this thread and just watch the game getting fucked up. I would only like to remind you, PKers are not the majority of the community. They will never be. So, please, do not try to shut our mouth up, because you don't like what we say.

Very well said. :D

Guest ohmygod

I would say this is more about taking the game to the next lvl rather than fucking it up.

It has always been about choice. You can do the command you get advantage. You dont do the command then no advantage.

We are talking here about what would motivate people to do the command, not about not doing the command.

Some other people have posted saying that they are not pkers but would consider typing it based on the advantages that could be available to them.

You have choices in this game as has everyone. For example some people choose to join a god to get extra xp to give them an advantage over those that chose not to. Not doing the god quest does not detract from the game experience in any way.

If you choose not to do the command then that is your choice. Dont critisise the fact that people may get an advantage over you because they choose to do the command. It is their choice as it is yours not to do it.

Edited by ohmygod

I would say this is more about taking the game to the next lvl rather than fucking it up.

Mind, it's is the next level only for narrow group of people.

It has always been about choice. You can do the command you get advantage. You dont do the command then no advantage.

Will there be any command for people not interested in it that would allow for balancing the game? Let's have a command #nonPK that would make you not PKable in any area, and give you the same advantages as #PK command?

We are talking here about what would motivate people to do the command, not about not doing the command.

Ah, so let's show the rest of the community, that is the majority not interested in this feature or not willing to take part in it that they are the worse part, right? You don't PK, you're nobody. Let's make people that want to PK have absolutely enormous advantage over the rest of the players. Talking about 1337ness. I bet only people keeping use this command after a short period of time are ones that are able to defend themselves, that is, ones that are sitting on yeti spanws or higher.

Some other people have posted saying that they are not pkers but would consider typing it based on the advantages that could be available to them.

This is the best point against any advantages. People would use it NOT to take part in happy PKing, but to get the bonus. Hurray, PKing is alive. Really?

You have choices in this game as has everyone. For example some people choose to join a god to get extra xp to give them an advantage over those that chose not to. Not doing the god quest does not detract from the game experience in any way.

If you choose not to do the command then that is your choice. Dont critisise the fact that people may get an advantage over you because they choose to do the command. It is their choice as it is yours not to do it.

So I have a choice. Not to use the command and see others having:

Safe zone around storage area.

More xp

More gc (so can replace stuff lost etc quick and not cry about it)

I would also suggest only PKable people will:

- Get rare drops from monsters. (non-"pk" players will only ever get gc. You could increase rare drops cause not many people will be "pk" players so less rare entering game)

-Make Rare Items

- Have cooldown on diss rings removed or halved.

- Get random telepoint into teleroom

- Harvest time Halved

- Cooldown on food halved

Wonderful perspective.

Oooh, I especially like the bold part. Not only you want other not to get rare drops, but also you want to get more of them! Great idea. Let's just give #give_item command to people that use #pk command!

I suppose asking for some common sense is too much. I'm trying to show you that your demands are something that would break a fragile balance there is in game (some would say unbalance would become even more significant). Thus, the game would stop being playable for quite many people seeing others getting too many bonus, ones that do NOT risk much.

First people to use this command would be very high level fighters. For once there is not many that would even try to attack them. For second there is so few of them that they could live not meeting eachother for long days. Where's the risk here? I see mostly gain. Low level players would try it, but after short time most of them would regret their decision (as they would get PKed quite often). Hence, they wouldn't use the command again. As I can predict, I may be wrong, the implementation of the command giving too much advantage to people using it may effect with dividing the community into two groups:

- leet one, consisting only very high level fighters; this group would be significantly superior to the rest of the community; this group would be like 2-3% of whole community.

- inferior group, based on players like me; my group would be mostly dependant on the previous group.

In such case I think I can put a thesis that after couple months that 2-3% of the community would increase to 10-15%. However, it would happen not due to more players taking using the command, but rather to the players exodus.

Last thing, I would like to emphasise these words:

Is it really a way to revive PKing?

Edited by Kheres

Is it really a way to revive PKing?

Will there be any command for people not interested in it that would allow for balancing the game?

First people to use this command would be very high level fighters. For once there is not many that would even try to attack them. For second there is so few of them that they could live not meeting eachother for long days. Where's the risk here? I see mostly gain.

i see 3 points in your post and would like to partially answer them

- If i got it right Entropy wants a way to let more people in pking. As it is today the only way to pk is to train a LOT and then HOPE not to be roasted in pk maps. To revive this situation you have (imo) to give a reward to those players that atm arent interested in pking because it is too hard to survive. Give me a big emu and i bet ohmygod will gladly protect me in exchange for the resources i will gain faster. Strategy will arise (can you imagine harvesting iron in evtr while pkable? i should go to a far away iron to be safer). Guildmates watching your back, and myself training more a/d. Can you imagine having 4x make rare? you have the advantage, but can you find a safe way to mix (obviously storages cant be safe places)? i bet you wouldnt do it afkish or with console down, you have to watch your back. Be invisible, flee, tele, hire someone (that you trust :P ) and eventually you will get lots of efe...losing some rostos. More ppl will get into pk, because there will be more opportunities to use your combat strenght.

- imo the game is balanced everytime you add a balanced feature. So the point is to think about a balanced #pk command. If someone want god mode in exchange for being pkable...well this would never be, right? Remember that advantages come at the cost of being pkable, few ppl can live "normally" with it.

- and here comes the third point, about high lvl players. This is a problem, but one that can be solved. Balancing the advantage for these players can be done, for example, by giving different advantages to different oa. Just like the astrology system, that gives you a/d bonus based on your actual a/d lvls. This way (to be thought in details) high lvl players wouldnt find a big reward and maybe they wont do the command...and however they could always die by the hand of one of their peers and, as last thing, this way weaker player can become a treat for them faster :D

Edited by Fedora

Guest ohmygod

At last someone who sees the Glass Half full of water rather than Half Empty.

Fedora has also highlighted the improved social interactions that could be strenghtened by this system.

During Guild_war people would let others know the movements of the "ebul bad guys" so people could make decisions about gearing up for war or going somewhere safer. Updates on movements/sightings etc over #ig was cool and it certainly was good to know you had friendly guilds on your side.

Dont know how the "bad guys" got thier info but they probably did the same through their network of allies/friends.

I would suggest that those players who are not liked (erm Markuswreck?) not to take up this option because your life will be made hell, as every man and his dog in the game will be pming #ig a stronger player your location :)

@kheres

I made some suggestions about what I thought would be some good advantages i would definately be willing to die for.

Some one suggested a modification of this and that a npc give a list of advantages from which people could choose what they would be willing to die for.

Dont know what Ent will put on the list but if it is not a REAL advantage then his time programming would have been wasted as people will not want to risk big for such a small gain.

Off topic: How can this sort of stuff not be good for the game?

It has been suggested that the top 10 PKers will own all. Watch this video and see how many lower level players are working together to pk me. This is team work and guild aliances in action. Dont you think people can actually defend themselves by creating these types of alliances in a wider way?

Edited by ohmygod

I think it would be very interesting if Entropy implemented this globaly, and made everyone pk-able.

After the initial "fallout" period it would be very interesting to see changes. I think it would promote team-work and ppl that have worked so hard for high lvls would finally be rewarded - hireing high a/d - guilds really working together to protect there high manu and high cra group excursions to mine iron ect..(a need for a guild-map(or city) arises?) Guilds going out to ambush harvesting group...I could go on and on.

I don't really expect this to happen, But i think it would make a totally new world for EL

I think it would be very interesting if Entropy implemented this globaly, and made everyone pk-able.

After the initial "fallout" period it would be very interesting to see changes. I think it would promote team-work and ppl that have worked so hard for high lvls would finally be rewarded - hireing high a/d - guilds really working together to protect there high manu and high cra group excursions to mine iron ect..(a need for a guild-map(or city) arises?) Guilds going out to ambush harvesting group...I could go on and on.

I don't really expect this to happen, But i think it would make a totally new world for EL

Actually, not my world.

This idea actually sounds rather kool, and if it were up to vote to be implemented i'd vote for it (then there would also be no dispute about advantages) if cities and storages are still safe zones... but like u said, it will never happen.

Uhh, im sure many more people would sign if the time was lowered... maybe a week? sorry if its a stupid suggestion or its already been suggested

-KiLL

People that risk and lose a lot of money while pking, should be rewarded.They deserve bonuses.

I don't know if pker's are not the majority of the game. What i know is that pker's are probably the most important part of the game. Imagine how the game would be without Masterpiter, Luci, Toomass, ohmygod, Ambrosius etc.

El changed when Don Pedro quit or later when Mufossa did the same. If those 2 were still active the game would be much much better. A few months ago players had fun by simply watching fights in nc arena.

Anyway i respect harvesters and peaceful players but i don't know any MMORPG that became popular because of harvesting.

People that risk and lose a lot of money while pking, should be rewarded.They deserve bonuses.

I don't know if pker's are not the majority of the game. What i know is that pker's are probably the most important part of the game. Imagine how the game would be without Masterpiter, Luci, Toomass, ohmygod, Ambrosius etc.

El changed when Don Pedro quit or later when Mufossa did the same. If those 2 were still active the game would be much much better. A few months ago players had fun by simply watching fights in nc arena.

Anyway i respect harvesters and peaceful players but i don't know any MMORPG that became popular because of harvesting.

HUH?! Sorry to say, but I completely disagree with you. PKers are NOT majority of the game. It's rather obvious. PKers are NOT the most important part of the game.

Eternal Lands changed BEFORE DonPedro decided to leave, not after he did it. Same goes for Mufossa. Please, do not mess results with reasons.

I'm not sure if we play the same game. The most important part... hmmmm... NAH.

HUH?! Sorry to say, but I completely disagree with you. PKers are NOT majority of the game. It's rather obvious. PKers are NOT the most important part of the game.

Eternal Lands changed BEFORE DonPedro decided to leave, not after he did it. Same goes for Mufossa. Please, do not mess results with reasons.

I'm not sure if we play the same game. The most important part... hmmmm... NAH.

I respect your opinion. But if the game didn't have pker's i don't know what exactly alchers, manuers, harversters and crafters would do. Watch all the el videos in youtube. The most impressive are those with pk action. Pk is impressive and its the main thing that will attract more new players.

The nicest day is the non drops day. Wanna see what will happen if all pker's quit?

Sorry but i prefer watching mufossa fighting or pking myself than chatting with harvesters. If they aren't afk...

I respect your opinion. But if the game didn't have pker's i don't know what exactly alchers, manuers, harversters and crafters would do.

I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty sure I'd be doing pretty much what I'm doing now.

I respect your opinion. But if the game didn't have pker's i don't know what exactly alchers, manuers, harversters and crafters would do.

LOL. As Molime said (watch the proper capitalisation!) I would do exactly the same what I do right now.

Sorry but i prefer watching mufossa fighting or pking myself than chatting with harvesters. If they aren't afk...

Guess what, I prefer chatting with harvesters than watching mufossa fight. Surprised?

Private guild maps would allow complete abuse of the system if any extra exp is granted to PKable players. Even 5% exp would warrant saving up gc and pvp'ing for a month, afk as needed, with safety provided by lovely 500+ p/c bots.

As seems to be the problem from the top down, there are major fundamental problems with the fighting system, which wind up causing problems in PK. If the devs want to hear opinions of what those problems are, and perhaps have a core group brainstorm, maybe a solution could be approached. Otherwise, stop-gap "fixes" such as these proposed are merely a waste of time and effort.

In my humble opinion, the underlying issues are being ignored in favor of 'new and exciting' add-ons which nobody really cares about.

If your car is on fire, adding a pair of fuzzy dice to the rear view mirror sure does make it look better. :happy:

LOL. As Molime said (watch the proper capitalisation!) I would do exactly the same what I do right now.

Guess what, I prefer chatting with harvesters than watching mufossa fight. Surprised?

Well i am a manuer. So i will start making swords like cutlass,orc slayer,js and cols to put them in my inventory to watch them? And i will make steel cuisses of mana drain, tit plate of freezing and js of cooling to cooldown fluffies and manadrain essences?

I am not surprised at all that you love chatting and i respect it. But i am not surprised at all also why so many players quit because pk is dead. And why the game has still only 600 players on line although it deserves to have 2000.

Edited by agis29

As seems to be the problem from the top down, there are major fundamental problems with the fighting system, which wind up causing problems in PK. If the devs want to hear opinions of what those problems are, and perhaps have a core group brainstorm, maybe a solution could be approached. Otherwise, stop-gap "fixes" such as these proposed are merely a waste of time and effort.

In my humble opinion, the underlying issues are being ignored in favor of 'new and exciting' add-ons which nobody really cares about.

If your car is on fire, adding a pair of fuzzy dice to the rear view mirror sure does make it look better. :happy:

:) I have some experience in combat system design and would be happy to help also.

Guest ohmygod
Private guild maps would allow complete abuse of the system if any extra exp is granted to PKable players. Even 5% exp would warrant saving up gc and pvp'ing for a month, afk as needed, with safety provided by lovely 500+ p/c bots.

To me this is why people/guilds should allie themselves with at least 1 guild that has paid $ for a map+pk bot.

What 1 person can do you can do too. i.e pvp behind a PK bot.

I am going to get a bit off topic here:

Yes we all know the problems. One of which is the cost of protecting your time invested in game armours/weapons. $4-$5 or 15.5k-17kgc in game per death. This is way to extreme especially if you are low lvl player.

There have been suggestion regarding this but i think Ent is after the bricks for his castle.

In my humble opinion, if people are saying that PKers are not the marjority who play the game, then sell stuff in EL shop that target the harvesters/Crafters/Manuers who are the marjority, and make dying in pk less expensive. I see the pk server rosts will cost $1usd each why not have it here instead/as well?

Perhaps a shop item could be the knowledge books for crafting/harvesting/manuing. Dont have them in game but sell from the shop. Just think how many $ could have been made selling Antidote potion books from the shop for $5-$10 a pop when they first came out. I am sure some 'ebul' RL rich person will buy and sell in game for gc to others.

EDIT:

(I mean books for future new items/harvestables not the ones in game at present. ok books can only be read once but thats why you introduce new books/items in each update)

I am all for Ent getting his castle, but marjority of the cost should not be bourne by Rostogol stone sales alone.

Edited by ohmygod

Yes we all know the problems. One of which is the cost of protecting your time invested in game armours/weapons. $4-$5 or 15.5k-17kgc in game per death. This is way to extreme especially if you are low lvl player.

There have been suggestion regarding this but i think Ent is after the bricks for his castle.

In my humble opinion, if people are saying that PKers are not the marjority who play the game, then sell stuff in EL shop that target the harvesters/Crafters/Manuers who are the marjority, and make dying in pk less expensive. I see the pk server rosts will cost $1usd each why not have it here instead/as well?

Perhaps a shop item could be the knowledge books for crafting/harvesting/manuing. Dont have them in game but sell from the shop. Just think how many $ could have been made selling Antidote potion books from the shop for $5-$10 a pop when they first came out. I am sure some 'ebul' RL rich person will buy and sell in game for gc to others.

EDIT:

(I mean books for future new items/harvestables not the ones in game at present. ok books can only be read once but thats why you introduce new books/items in each update)

I am all for Ent getting his castle, but marjority of the cost should not be bourne by Rostogol stone sales alone.

rofl i totally agree with you :omg: