Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Alternative PKing system

Don't want to be an echo of what everyone is saying, but: 1month is a bit long... if u made it 6hours without all those bonuses i'd happily do it atleast once a week (probably on weekends).

Without the bonus there would be no people just taking it just for the bonus, and therefore you would have the people who really want to PK, and not some1 who will take it so they can get the exp bonus and after their finished training in some remote location, just log off(or for the harvesting event, etc).

If the time limit stays a month, then i'm sorry but i cant afford to take it... i will however pk some1 who is already pk'able to become pk'able for a shorter amount of time.

Another question: I suppose if some n00b tries to poison/harm you to death they become pk'able.... but what if sum1 uses summons to kill you? If they became pk'able, then it wont work very well for normal summoners who want to summon for lvl's, and some1 who is pk'able attacks their summons(or his/her summons attack the pk'able person).

All in all it seems a good idea.

Edited by St_Arcane

To solve many problems about how to go out from IP, c2 hell, etc...

just put a cooldown on the player: when a player dies, he can't be

attacked (white name) for 5-10 minutes.

Another question: I suppose if some n00b tries to poison/harm you to death they become pk'able.... but what if sum1 uses summons to kill you? If they became pk'able, then it wont work very well for normal summoners who want to summon for lvl's, and some1 who is pk'able attacks their summons(or his/her summons attack the pk'able person).

Perhaps summons should not attack pkable person, unless the summoner is pkable or attacks target first by himself.

After reading though the posts I like this way:

- You can turn pk on with #pk command

- If you pk another pk char you turn pk

- You can turn off pk with the same command (but I think a month is too long, I was thinking more along the lines of 24hrs)

- If you absolutely cannot wait you can buy a stone for 5/10/20$USD from the shop, this will stop you being PK straight away

- You can only attack players that are plus/minus 10 levels a/d from you (you could make this 5)

- If you die you will get 5 minutes to get out of hell, and run (you become pkable again after this time slot)

- If you attack a summoned pk animal, you will turn pk, a pk animal will not attack a normal person

The main difference I have found with EL and other games is that PK choice works a lot better when you have factions. This is because people become 'enemies' even if they don't know each other and will become pk just to attack them and have a bit of fun. This maybe why nobody has chosen it in the past.

I can't vote though as I am not +50/50 a/d

Edited by Linuxgirlie

Besides the command that will make PKable for 1 month (but we need a good reason to do this),

it could be interesting to have some other PKable situations, like:

- if you enter in a PK map, you'll be PKable for 1 EL's day* (6 hours).

Do you want the Hydro? You must to run some risk. Maybe we'll see more guild's cooperation or others interactions.

- if you pick up a DB (bag with no animal items), you'll be PKable for 8 EL's days* (2 RL's days).

About rostogol stones, I would like to see if it saves just the items we wear. Random chance for the items in the inventory.

Edit: *play time

Edited by Blodoks

I think that if you only could attack those who have the same a/d or around that the fun is a lot less... it's the point of making pking exciting and if you only can attack those in raneg of your a/d the fun will not be so much as when you can attack everyone who is pkable...

- if you pick up a DB (bag with no animal items), you'll be PKable for 8 EL's days* (2 RL's days).

Nice idea. Imagine people getting pked after they try to save their own DBs :P

I think the main prob with pk atm is the big lvl diff between high lvl players and the rest + the cost to pk regularly.

PPl just dont have a chance fighting the the top...so why bother?

So why not give all pk maps lvl caps....like 120 a/d.....everybody can get that + maybe ad p/c caps too (combat lvl cap?). When your in pk map your capped..when you get out your normal again so you can train on monster you prefer.

This would lvl the field a bit and pk would be more about skills and not bulked up p/c and a/d.

It would stimulate the use of tactics, allies and friends as well.

It will also stimulate the usage of positive perks to get an advantage :P

Then lower the cost of pk: make rosts cheaper and red cape as well.

Make cooldown less in PK maps (will be good for economy too; ppl will use more srs / diss rings and whatnot)....but make cooldown on summ stones a bit higher (fighting zoo isnt much fun).

Could work and is worth a try imo.

This will end me up hiding from the topguys for a whole month. And in between I have to make money ingame, which will be a problem for sure too :P.

Good idea tho, I am just afraid only 1-10 people would particapate, especially after they experienced 1 rl month (2h a day) -> 1 RL YEAR of pking.

I doubt anyone besides ~1-10 players can even afford to be pkable for 1 full day. And tbh, most people just would be slaughtered, cause of gigantic differences in combatlevel.

Being pkable for a month of playing time is very long. Play for a full month is 720 hours. Let's say you play 5 hours a day, thats 144 days playing, so about 5 months. I think 1 week of playing time would fit better, that's 168 hours, so about 30 days playing. Why not just put a timer on it? So let's say you type #pk you become pkable for 100 hours and with #pktime you can see how much time is left.

Edited by Cycloonx

My name down please Ent. Matty27

I know I have never been a PK player and am in a non-PK guild, but here is a good suggestion from teH g0D about making PK more alive. One month? what's so wrong with that duration? No-one can complain about PK being dead with a suggestion that makes the game more PK.....

Lots of threads in suggestions how to make PK more alive. In no particular order and not quoting to insult. Feel free to attack me once enough people have put their names down for Ent to implement this if you do feel insulted.

Zamirah posts "too few are pking"

Xitragupten posts "I thought of an idea last night to make the PK more alive"

Marwen posts "I think it'll help PK a little."

Yes those three names are much higher level fighters than I am, but I reckon the sentiments they express in their posts are "PK is dead we need more things to make PK alive"

I know this is a sentiment shared by lots of players, look at the sheer amount of posts in suggestions forum which would make PK a little more "interesting".

This is a good way of making more PK on main server, if you want more PK action, put your name down. Its only a month.

Thanks for reading,

Matty27

EDIT: I really want to see this implemented - will be fun once people get used to it properly, then we will see how many people really want to have more PK

Edited by Matty27

Another idea could be. keep the time limit to a month but you are reset to non-pk status after you have died a certain amount of times . say 25

Because from what i can see the only sticking point that is stopping a few players taking this is the months time limit.

and i agree that i would like a sort of attack cap.. cannot attack players of less than a certain a/d of yourself outside of pk maps ( but you can defend yourself if they attack you )

1) this makes it more fun for everyone and not just the top 10 players who just own everyone

2) the 50 a/d limit could be lowered and hence involve more of the players

edit : spelling

Edited by conavar

Another idea could be. keep the time limit to a month but you are reset to non-pk status after you have died a certain amount of times . say 25

Because from what i can see the only sticking point that is stopping a few players taking this is the months time limit.

and i agree that i would like a sort of attack cap.. cannot attack players of less than a certain a/d of yourself outside of pk maps ( but you can defend yourself if they attack you )

1) this makes it more fun for everyone and not just the top 10 players who just own everyone

2) the 50 a/d limit could be lowered and hence involve more of the players

edit : spelling

Very good idea, if people want more time can they just type command again.

Even with a month would I like to try, just not log out over night.

But then you can skip it fast and easy. Go naked and let you kill 25 times and you are back to normal.

and the problem with this is....?

This is not supposed to be a punishment ( least i think not :confused: ), its supposed to increase fun.

How can u hav fun if ur outta gc/rosto's and get pk'd when u try to get more gc.

But then you can skip it fast and easy. Go naked and let you kill 25 times and you are back to normal.

and the problem with this is

Well the point is that you can make yourself pkable at certain strategical moments and then get rid of it fast again. That will spoil the fun for people who like the original idea. It is like saying you can type #pk and #unpk at w/e moment you want, that will spoil the fun for sure too.

If it really doesn't work out I don't mind sitting around 1 month on IP harvesting Veggies :confused:

So..

I will use this system for at least a month, starting when it's implemented

What about having 2x or 3x emu? this can turn the #pk in a really good mule which needs protection (teamplay) to be effective. And we could think about a #pk with different degrees of power: the more hours you choose to be pkable the more advantages you'll get (probably needs a cap for the highest lvl ppl).

If emu is a bonus of #pk and it lasts less than a month (a week or so) i will take it (as soon as i get 50 a/d :confused: )

Well the point is that you can make yourself pkable at certain strategical moments and then get rid of it fast again. That will spoil the fun for people who like the original idea. It is like saying you can type #pk and #unpk at w/e moment you want, that will spoil the fun for sure too.

you do realise to die 25 times u hav to leave hell 1st, get out of IP and get pk'd again? thats a big difference between typing #pk and #unpk... u get killed 25 times too, which is the idea no? even if u go with 5 health sum1 still gets to kill u, and that person becomes pk'able too... and if sum1 else pk's u they become pk'able too... and then some other people pk the people who pk'd u, and they become pk'able too (all for 25 deaths), so the amount of people becoming pk'able is multiplied rather quickly, so more people to pk...

Do u actually think b4 u post? :confused: I'll draw u a picture next time.

how is getting killed 25 times a fast way to remove it ? and 25 was just a random number it could be 50, 60 ,70 etc.

and yes you can get you " friend " to kill you 60 times, but after the first they are pkable as well :confused: and like st. said this isnt intended to be a punishment its supposed to add fun to the game, and IMO no one will take it if they want to get killed 25 times quick , there is no point.

edit. damn you st. beat me to it :devlish:

Edited by conavar

Tempest asked me for posting he agrees to use that new pk system. He's got forum bann :devlish:

(no idea why he didnt ask his guildies but he asked me, his enemy, but well :confused: )

I like Ambro's post.

I dont like restriction to not attack lower a/d players, im highest a+d ingame but im far weaker from pkingduck( 1on1 i have 0 blocks and i hit him very very rare even if i use jadged saber).

mp

I like Cons idea very much. And it seems to me it's rather hard to die 25 times when you're above 50 a/d or is that just me? of course we'd have to disable the #suicide command.

But this is a good alternative from being pkable a month. and maybe it can be implented that only if you die to other pkable people 25 times your pk status dissappears??

Tempest asked me for posting he agrees to use that new pk system. He's got forum bann :devlish:

(no idea why he didnt ask his guildies but he asked me, his enemy, but well :confused: )

I like Ambro's post.

I dont like restriction to not attack lower a/d players, im highest a+d ingame but im far weaker from pkingduck( 1on1 i have 0 blocks and i hit him very very rare even if i use jadged saber).

mp

yeah but the idea isnt to stop you from attacking everyone with lower a/d just those out side your "limit" of say 20-30 lower than yourself

so in theory a player with 140 a/d cant attack a player with 50 a/d but can attack anyone above 110-120 a/d, call it a kind of chivalry code . its just an idea to give everyone a chance and make it fun for all and not just a few, and the restrictions wouldnt count on pk maps ( they would just be the same as normal)

While you are PKable, you should have some advantage over the non PKable players. What the advantages will be is TBD. Probably stuff such as more experience, a bonus armor, less chance to lose items when you die, etc.

I'm afraid that this part may be easily abused by people with very high attack/defence skills as well as by people with ultra high physique or coordination. While decreased rates for breaking items or dropping them while dying wouldn't impact the game much, giving them more experience points or increasing their carry capacity will give them a huge advantage. For once, nobody is willing too attack chars like TooMass or LuciferX (whatever his contemporary nick is), for second, they would be able to level up faster and/or stay at spawn even longer.

If the decreased rates are limited to only pvp fights it would all works probably more less fine... unless they do PvP in non-PK area.

I ain't going to comment other proposals, like limiting rare drops for only PKable people, harvesting times halved, cooldown times halved, increased rates for creating rare items, etc. as they're just ridiculous in my eyes. If these are 'some' advantages over people not willing to participate in this I'm really wondering what would be 'huge' ones. God-mode? One-hit kill mode? Unlimited cash? Death rays from eyes?

While I agree that PKing should be revived I don't think that it should be done by the cost of completely screwing the game. Balance is needed everywhere.

There are several games, I know, with open-PK system (Conquer Online, Lineage 2, some others). I don't remind myself any special favours for people PKing. Yet, PKing exists in these games and is a very important part of them. Would it be a difference in players' attitude?

I guess some people just lost completely their common sense and are trying to get as much as possible abusing Entropy's will to implement something new.