Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

PK server

just one quick question. I dont have paypal, so i would use a gc>>$$ conversion, it is a way to use this conversion in this case?

Of course you can make the conversion on the main server. I'm sure that you'll be able to find someone for that.

Regards

Chryzopraz

just one quick question. I dont have paypal, so i would use a gc>>$$ conversion, it is a way to use this conversion in this case?

Of course you can make the conversion on the main server. I'm sure that you'll be able to find someone for that.

Regards

Chryzopraz

my question was, how will they identify that i am the person that has payd for the character... this is the question. I was asking if this can be resolved or not.

Troger

Person who will pay those 5$ for u will simply say/write that those 5$ r for character named Troger on the pk server or something like that, imho its really nothing big since u can do similar thing with buying p2p race here, Ent also knows who should have it even if ur friend paid for u :)

U could make character on pk server, than ur friend pays those 5$ and u can play with it.

For ppl thinking about h-bars, tit pl8 etc- it will be hard to get tit long on this server,u have no idea how much its different to make money if u can be pked anywhere anytime and cant afk-harvest, also dont expect that all ppl will have diss rings coz probably no1 will be able to make them for months :P )

The only reasonable-fast way for making money will be an alt on ip that sells fruits to tawern ( so 1-2k gc per hour, at the begining way less :D )

If 5 maps is not impossible it would be cool that we have c1 maps only, c2 would be used mostly by harvesters anyways(who will get bored on this server fast coz no fun to spent more time in hell/ip than anywhere else :P)

mp

also dont expect that all ppl will have diss rings coz probably no1 will be able to make them for months :)

I see a challenge :D

The only reasonable-fast way for making money will be an alt on ip that sells fruits to tawern ( so 1-2k gc per hour, at the begining way less :D )

The problem that I thought of with that option is to actually get that gc in storage :P

If 5 maps is not impossible it would be cool that we have c1 maps only, c2 would be used mostly by harvesters anyways(who will get bored on this server fast coz no fun to spent more time in hell/ip than anywhere else :P

With more maps, at least it's possible to still make items, and develop mixing skills. But, there is always the risk someone actually finds and PKs you. It requires more strategy, finding the best places, knowledge about maps (already learned on the normal server) is an advantage. With only a few maps people that are trying to develop mixing skills (which can be pretty useful, to the PKers that is :P) could be nothing more than a sitting duck waiting to become dinner.

That's from a mixer's point of view who wants to give it a try.

But honestly , PK is not dead, far from it , only the other day a few members of TinT went mining hydro ore and one of us got killed by a big scary Pker wielding a big scary sword , the Pker was wearing a COL, a NMT cloak, and full steel set if i remember rightly :mace:

Thats alot of GC in equipment he was wearing, so he obviously wasnt a '' pennyless poor fighter '' for us all to feel sorry for either.

Pk isnt dead, but one harvester wearing augmented leather and a pick axe was. :)

Blargh, Pking is alive and well, I saw it last night with my own eyes ...

That's just 1 action... if you were a pker and if you'd visit pk daily you would see how dead it really was. I gave up searching for people to kill a while ago because it was no use... no-one there.

I don't think you can call Pk far from dead just because 1 pker killed a harvester...

Besides killing unprepaired Hydro harvesters... that's not realy pking... that's just slaughtering lol

I'm afraid it's still dead though good to hear there is at least some action going on once in a while :happy:

Edited by -Nostalg

3. The a/d skill will be capped to level 100
Ent, i hope it doesnt annoy you that i'm posting in relation to my suggestion here, but if your setting a 100 a/d limit, wouldn't implementing a 100 a/d arena on the main server and seeing how many people use it be a good test?

It's my opinion that as long as the suggested arena is in a good location, it would increase the daily PK fights in EL two-fold, at least.

From what i can see you really want more people PK'ing, and implementing that arena is a lot less effort than setting up the PK server or the alternative PK system for the main server.

Anyways, sorry if this is considered off-topic, or if there's some point other than trying to liven up PK that i've missed.

If you really dont like this post here, just delete it please.

of course no1 who would use the pk server is 100 a/d....

newb most of those are over 100, how would it be a good test if the people willing to play on the pk server can't even pk in that test-arena? xD

and besides with arena's it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time, so it's less likely to find someone there then when all maps are pk like on the pk server

Edited by Hardcore

I'm not a pk'er, far from that, I even don't like the idea of always being a target.

But, the opportunity to be able to get some status just by serving those who like to pk and for once make a little profit with the items you make I'm with Molime and think i would give it a try.

I don't say i will never fight, sure i will once in a while but my targets are just mixing and will be on a pk-server no different.

Being on a place where someone could just decide to kill you would give an extra thrill on the game as well same as harving under "protected custody" of some fighters LOL

newb most of those are over 100, how would it be a good test if the people willing to play on the pk server can't even pk in that test-arena? xD

and besides with arena's it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time, so it's less likely to find someone there then when all maps are pk like on the pk server

It'd give an idea of what sort of fights can be expected after the server has been up for a while, and, newb, the point is to try and liven up PK without having to go to the lengths proposed here.

I would be fine with the arena if high lvl playes could also participate there( a/d and p/c could be limited to for example 100a/d and 60p/c so higher lvl players wont get advantage from their strenght, only from their knowledge and pk skills and enchanted weapons/armors :) )

By limited a/d/p/c i mean it would go down to 100a/d and 60p/c if u r above it, so u r weaker than normal but u can attack ppl there (:

mp

hmmm your a/d and p/c are lowered automatically when u step in the arena, sounds good to me MP, the arena would be packed! lol... my only worry is that there's a bit more coding needed to do that than just implementing a 100 a/d arena that works in the same manner as the DP and Naralik arenas, but if Ent wants to do it, sure, sounds great!

edit:

Things that would need to be considered:

1. Where do we set the p/c limit?

a limit on phys and a limit on coord? or a limit on total phys and coord?

(like total of phys and coord must be lower than 80, and the higher one is lowered? or lower evenly?)

2. Do we need a limit on the other Attributes?

one assumes that if they're not limited, in the same way we have p/c fiends specifically set up for DP arena, we would have people building the other attributes specifically for this arena.

...all makes the job harder :) lets just have arena so us fluff/fero trainers can fight each other, yeti trainers go play with each other in KF :happy:

Edited by Korrode

hmmm your a/d and p/c are lowered automatically when u step in the arena, sounds good to me MP, the arena would be packed! lol... my only worry is that there's a bit more coding needed to do that than just implementing a 100 a/d arena that works in the same manner as the DP and Naralik arenas, but if Ent wants to do it, sure, sounds great!

That could be added to dp arena, let us lower everybody to 40/40/20/20 :)

The only reasonable-fast way for making money will be an alt on ip that sells fruits to tawern ( so 1-2k gc per hour, at the begining way less :laugh: )

The problem that I thought of with that option is to actually get that gc in storage ;)

Pay the strongest player(s) 10% to haul it to storage for you.

I like this idea much better then the changes to PK suggested to the main server in the other thread, not that those suggestions don't have merit. This is a completely 'new game' whole new challenges to overcome, and I doubt it would ever be boring :laugh: I see some research would be in order to see what skills are 'really' must haves. Most things can be bought from NPC's and would certainly limit the usefulness of some skills, especially considering that prices on this server should be higher.

As for the several 'level limited' arenas that have been suggested. If that were to happen, stick them all together in one location. If people really want to pk, then don't make them go wandering all over Draia to find a good fight ;)

I go for Entropy's original idea as posted. Forget all the 'safety measures' This new game is not meant to be played alone. In the end I see only a few strong guilds, not the several small guilds that currently exist. Sounds like fun to me :D

...all makes the job harder :laugh: lets just have arena so us fluff/fero trainers can fight each other, yeti trainers go play with each other in KF ;)

That i dont want, i have all 3 yeti trainers who pk on kf every day, they use enchanted armors/weapons, broding/boding etc which makes fights very short and not fun, i want fights vs other ppl too, even if it means making me way weaker :D

mp

I must admit i am one of the biggest pk server skeptics ( will enough players join, will it last, etc etc) but with hindsight it might be a good idea, if it was used as a stepping stone to Ents ideas about player cities..

Granted this would mean a lot more work for Ent and the Devs to create new maps and monsters but not many would be needed at first and then the new server/C3 (what ever it turns out to be) would be like the wild west and the new player characters are the first settlers.

One safe map with a storage which has been settled and the rest in frontier/badlands where anything goes and no laws (non-pk) exist.

Then this could be built on as Ent trys his ideas for cities, areas could become settled(non-pk) and more areas found as the players spread out.Towns would be safe zones ( storage only in towns) but the rest would remain full PK.

Then which ever faction/group/guild controlled a map/city could set the laws. do they keep allow pk or do they patrol the borders to keep outlaws/raiders out . opens up endless possibility

Edited by conavar

Ent, you might want to bump the PK Server Poll back up to the top, it's getting lost down there!

Well, I don't pk at all, and if you check my stats you know that I don't train very much either. It kind of seems futile trying to catch up to everyone else. But I really like this idea, especially that everyone has to start out new all over again. I'm pretty sure that I would at least give it a try.

Sounds awesome, i wouldnt mind making a char for fun on that server. Great idea Ent. Maybe have a stone or something that can make u non-pk for an amount of time for trainers? Or with a new char, let the person train till a certain a/d till he is pkable so they can start the char and get restore before they are subjected to high level's killing them while they are noob training.

Only an idea, otherwise great so far :laugh:

From a marketing and promotion point of view, this seems self destructive.

The primary goal should be to increase the popularity of the primary product (el orig) and not divide

the customer based between two products. I guess its not extremely appealing since the target

client based is projected at 100 users. But the new product (pk server) is actually competing for

a player base from the first product (el orig). From a business point of view, I would try to increase

the popularity of the original, scale to multiple servers as demand dictates, then consider alternate products

marketing directly from large customer base. IMHO the 2nd product must be different enough not to

simple attract players away from the first product. Or you are competing with yourself.

With that said, Id probably spend $5 to have a look. But every moment I am, I am not contributing to

the economy and longevity of the original. With this mass exodus of players leaving, and the few new faces

I see, I think the primary focus should be increasing the mains content (items,monsters,things todo)

and appeal.

Well that is my unsolicited advice, but I am saying that from a completely self interested position

(I.e. Eternal lands continues to grow and doesn't become a "you remember that game, it was cool, whatever

happened to...)

[snip]

With that said, Id probably spend $5 to have a look. But every moment I am, I am not contributing to

the economy and longevity of the original. With this mass exodus of players leaving, and the few new faces

I see, I think the primary focus should be increasing the mains content (items,monsters,things todo)

and appeal.

You see? As far as I am aware, setting up a new server which is almost identical to the first one with only some minor tweaks is not a lot of work. Many players will try it out, just to find out how it looks like. That's about 500 USD of easy money. I don't think that there will be a mass migration. Most players will play on the main server too, as the experience will probably be completely different. So Ent has nothing to loose (well, maybe a few hours of sleep) and something to gain.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Edited by Chryzopraz

[snip]

and appeal.

You see? As far as I am aware, setting up a new server which is almost identical to the first one with only some minor tweaks is not a lot of work. Many players will try it out, just to find out how it looks like. That's about 500 USD of easy money. I don't think that there will be a mass migration. Most players will play on the main server too, as the experience will probably be completely different. So Ent has nothing to loose (well, maybe a few hours of sleep) and something to gain.

Regards

Chryzopraz

(no mass migration was stated or implied)

What you are missing is that after the fact, when a completely new player arrives to pick which server

to go to. All possible new player will be divided 1/3 to pk, 2/3 to main. And due to a humans natural commitment. (I've spent so much time on this server, I can't start over on the other). It competing

against yourself.

Its fast money, yes but really isn't a long term business plan I'd invest in.

Edit: Btw $500 is nothing. I'd never make a decision that effected my client base for such a tiny sum.

Edited by robotbob

It'd give an idea of what sort of fights can be expected after the server has been up for a while, and, newb, the point is to try and liven up PK without having to go to the lengths proposed here.

*sigh* arena is nothing like the server would be, unless you wanna put some harvestable's in the arena / spawns / npc's

without those things you don't get to know how the server would be. the idea is to have more pk + strategy

i don't see how an arena would liven up pk + get some strategy's going

so please don't come up with bright tests anymore unless they can get a good idea how the pk server would be.

besides DP arena has a lvl cap, how much people go there?

if an arena with cap in the game was such a great idea, the place would be packed most of the times.

Edited by Hardcore

Yes, the new server is, obviously, NOT for new players.

As for a wide range of products, umm.. recently I wanted to buy a Fuji S7000 camera. Went to Amazon, and seen that some people were recommending to buy the Fuji S6000 camera, becuse it has a bigger sensor and less MP, and so on.

I ended up buying the Fuji S6000 camera.

Otherwise, I might have ended up buying a Canon camera.

Having diverse products, that address different needs is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.

P.S. The intial 500 is not really easy money, because it will take at least of week of work to do the PK server (need to edit all the map defs, make some code changes, tests, etc.)

We will make money from rostos though.