Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eagleprince

Skeptics perk - Is it worth it?

I am beginning to wonder about the wisdom of spending 30000 gc to avoid the effects of astrology. Here's why...

In the last few days, I have found 2 binding stones, 2 enrichment stones and 1 vitality removal stone. All of these came after taking the perk. Ok, I was harvesting to make 1k steel bars, but I do that fairly regularly, and I have not enjoyed sure good fortune while harvesting, maybe even in all the time I've played.

This evening, I went training on armed orcs, which I usually have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I fight them bare-handed in leathers, and I usually come away smiling. This evening, however, here's what happened. All this happened in about 5 minutes or so, something I have never experienced against opponents of any description, and certainly not orcs. As you will notice, I was so shocked that I had to check the day to make sure it wasn't day of more grief!

Here is the chat version of the same, for people who prefer that.

[01:02:53] Your Iron Helm has been destroyed

[01:03:00] Your Leather Boots has been destroyed

[01:03:01] Your Bones has been destroyed

[01:03:45] You recovered 83 material points

[01:04:03] Select a target for mana drain spell!

[01:04:05] You drained 27 mana points from Large spider

[01:04:15] You hear the screams of a fallen angel.

[01:05:06] You see: EaglePrince

[01:05:56] You hear the screams of a fallen angel.

[01:06:07] Your Bones has been destroyed

[01:06:09] You failed to flee.

[01:06:25] You recovered 72 material points

[01:06:40] You failed to flee.

[01:06:43] You failed to flee.

[01:06:44] You failed to flee.

[01:07:01] You recovered 68 material points

[01:07:18] Your Iron Helm has been destroyed

[01:07:34] Just an ordinary day

[01:07:43] You are too far away! Get closer!

[01:07:45] Select a target for mana drain spell!

[01:07:47] You drained 26 mana points from Large spider

[01:08:05] You can't fight dead entities.

Ok, I realise it would be foolish to make a generalisation based on only one piece of eveidence, but I wonder if I should have tried my luck with that lottery NPC instead!

I wonder what fellow skeptics have observed. :P

Edited by EaglePrince

The bone and leather boots break very easely.

Anyway, there are days and days, some days are better, some not so. It has to do with RL luck.

I've been very happy with my choice to take the perk, as you yourself said; you cant use one bad training session as evidence... a couple of days ago i trained feros and they only broke like 1 Aug torso... Fluffy broke 3 of them in the first hour yesterday... and usually Feros break more of my stuff... it was just bad luck :P

edit: typos

Edited by Korrode

Just smth i call "EL Logics" ^^

Ive had 4 steel shields broken once in 10 mins of Dchim training.

Therm serp degraded and few hits later destroyed + mirror and steel shield destroyed in same PK fight.

2 COL's degraded in 30 mins of training.

Tit plate degraded and next Yeti destroyed.

But also:

3 NMT's once in 60 Yeti and 2 Warlock in 30 Giants...

And this was all before astrology was implemented.

Just happens :)

And from a weenie's point of view:

I was busy bopping gobs in Naralik recently with great results, using very few HE's and not even bothering with the Shield spell. All of a sudden, in less than four 'turns' during a fight I lost Aug torso and then Aug pants.

I kept fighting and still had good results with only using a few more HE's than before, and still no Shield.

Much of this stuff is ordinary random events that fit our collective superstitious consciousness under the heading of 'Coincidence'. When you think about it, does everything really happen in threes? I doubt it, and to be so wary of ones stars ruining ones day..... Well, the 500 bucks IS for a good cause after all..... :)

Halloween's coming! Buy Skeptic today!! :hehe:

Strange EP, but things happen :/

(BTW Ent, what charity does the bitch tax go to?)

Doctors without borders.

I donated 500 to them last year and two years ago, and I think they do a great job.

i used to support them for a small amount every month, but i got tired with all the informationbooklets and beggings for more money they sent me every month. i'm talking about fancy booklets wrapped in plastic.. (i'm already paying you, you don't need to convince me anymore..?) so i stopped my payment.

but that's the dutch department anyway. don't know what its like in other countries. they do great work though, too bad for them they started to annoy me.

well i took the perk today.. after i broke alot of stuff even with NMT i got a bit fed up..

Its not most likely that ill want to get rid of it. And even if i would want to i wouldnt pay.

Im maybe selfish there but i dont trust charities. so ill just live with my destiny now.

So far im very happy with taking the perk and will keep it that way hopefully.

i used to support them for a small amount every month, but i got tired with all the informationbooklets and beggings for more money they sent me every month. i'm talking about fancy booklets wrapped in plastic.. (i'm already paying you, you don't need to convince me anymore..?) so i stopped my payment.

but that's the dutch department anyway. don't know what its like in other countries. they do great work though, too bad for them they started to annoy me.

Yes, that pisses me off about them too. They used to send me lots of shit asking for even more money, as if I am some banker or something.

I wrote them an angry e-mail and told them that if they send me any more junk, I'll never donate again, and they stopped.