Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Help crash the test server

We switched to Pawn, the next version of the Small scripting language that we use for the server side scripting. Small (and now Pawn) powers most of the NPCs and quests (aside from Trick, the god quest NPCs, joker, the guild merchants, the lottery and storages).

Today, during testing, we had an unexpected crash. It happened when a new player attempted to talk to the Wraith, but other than that we don't know much about why it crashed.

We did some later tests but no crashes resulted, so we need tot est even more, because we can not have an update until we fix this issue.

So here is what I suggest doing: Create a new character on the test server, and do the IP quest (the tutorial quests should not matter, but if you feel like it, please do them as well). Then try to do the wraith quest.

Also, try to sell books to Telia and to Betty, which lives in the Glacmor school library.

Trying to do the winery quest is a plus, as this MIGHT had contributed to the crash as well (you don't need a new character for that).

Whoever manages to crash the test server AND remmebers what they did gets a nice reward on the main server.

In case you didn't know, the test server is on port 2001.

I fell asleep half-way through the Manu quest last night and will continue now. Character on Test Server is Magwamp.... :o

Skipped tutorial, did Learn About Yourself, Wraith Tour Quest, took various Attributes (and some perks :) ,)

started Manu quest, talking to NPC's on the way.

I noticed before I quit that there were only four players on the test server. Should I assume you want as many players as possible on the server for possible combination of events?

I will also try resetting Mugwump then talking to the Wraith and any other situations I can think of....

My mission is to bring that Blue Goon down!! :)

What I've found so far:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Karn, Lake Side blacksmith does not state 'You don't have enough money for XXX', I have to close his window. I did buy from him OK.

~

Back into the fray, 12:30 AM GMT 09/27

~

Will continue in further posts as opposed to editing this one.

Edited by Mugwump

I created a new character (Gormpf) on the test server and went through the memory and Wraith quests with no problems. I also tried everything I could with the Wraith, even resorting to trying to make him respond to me out of range, again with no result. Later tonight I'll log back in with the character I used last night on the wine quest and see what happens.

I don't know if it will be of any consequence, but just before the server kicked me out last night, I was in Portland, on my way from the mayor to PL storage, and was having trouble entering the building. When I tried clicking on the roof (because of where the camera was turned), it didn't respond. I was in the process of panning back around to click on the door when I got kicked.

Just a suggestion for this (and maybe other) test: would it help if people made videos about their actions on the test server to pinpoint the exact order of events?

I know there are some programs to do that, can't think of any names though...

That's too much work, and so far we just look for a crash. We have some server side debugging to see what went wrong, but that requires multiple crashes.

I created a ppl yesterday who did all first 4 quests whithout problems (3 basic + lasud) - i send him to wine quest (greymage_newbee is the name)

wine quest completed whithout problem

Edited by greymage

I finished the wine quest with no crash - even took little detours to get the required items for the quest. One peculiarity I noticed was when running through the dialog from Bais, the 'Portland' topic wouldn't disappear after clicking on it, like all the others did. I tried this a couple of times and the behavior was consistent. I didn't have the same problem getting into Portland storage that I had the other night. I went and beat up on the Wraith for a little while, tried some stuff I didn't try the other day, no results. Is there anything else you might recommend for me to try?

I was playing with the wraith with some chars.

I increased all attributes by 1.

I bought the following perks:

godless

monster magnetism

excavator

power hungry

fast regeneration

i cant dance

self destruct

gelatine bones

mirror skin

scotty died

and still no server crash..

Piper

Ever think of functional testing, Entropy? Probably would've highlighted this without the need for relying on people (in the first instance).

I'm not able to complete the wine quest this time - I'm not getting the prompt from Latis about the drought. The non-disappearance of the 'Portland' dialog that I reported last night is still happening (I wasn't sure from your earlier post whether this was one of the things that was addressed or not). Other than that, I haven't noticed anything odd. Let me know when you want me to have another go at it :)

Yep, Wine quest is halted, not getting the prompt about the drought.

Did most of the other quests with out much difficulty (except had to backtrack on the journey quest at one point, as i was given the trigger to visit the apprentice but when i went to her she didnt give me the trigger for the next phase after i back tracked to the previous npc all sorted itsself out),

Spent some pp's even tried speaking to Quest npc's out of turn in an effort to see if that created any trouble, but nothing untoward happened.

Ever think of functional testing, Entropy? Probably would've highlighted this without the need for relying on people (in the first instance).

Part of the problem is we are jump up several years on the version of 3rd party scripting engine and the are known to be a little buggy. We've already had to make three patches in their stuff for it to run this well. Two of the patches we found documented, we have to check for the most recent one and see if they have found it before.

So, we can't do functional testing on a limited scope we have to test the entire script engine for hidden bugs, and if there is a memory pointer problem, that might show up anywhere in the server.

Thursday 9/27 Completed Manu quest and began annoying NPC's map by map.

~

Sat. 9/29 1:00 PM GMT started Wine quest. No mention of drought from Lat. directly, but after visits to Vis., Nye., Bai., and Mor., the debt option showed in Lat's menu. (I don't know what is appropriate for avoiding spoilers, so I'm making a feeble attempt at being cryptic...)

~

Bai. displays the Portland description but doesn't delete from his menu.

~

The quest follows fine after ignoring Lat. including Ert.'s book and Mor.'s response. Next step is goods for Mor. which I'll have to borrow from an alt or spend a week levelling!

It seems that the quest is working fine now, I'm just not sure when Lat. is supposed to display the 'debt' menu option. It was triggered after first visit to Bai. anyway. That's normal, right? :)

On test server just now I used a character with OA level 17 and 17 free pickpoints. I tried to take "I can't dance" perk - got message saying "Your current overall skill is too low. It needs to be at least 5 for this perk"

Similar problem with godless perk but it said I need to be at least level 8.

Same for godless but it said I need to be level 6. Antisocial says 10 . . . I suspect all the neg perks have this bug now.

Edited by Puntif

On test server just now I used a character with OA level 17 and tried to take "I can't dance" perk - got message saying "Your current overall skill is too low. It needs to be at least 5 for this perk"

Similar problem with godless perk but it said I need to be at least level 8.

That means that you have too many pickpoints to spend. Look at your levels, OA shows probably 3/17 or such. And the first number counts when taking perks with a required OA level.

Piper

Ah that makes sense - can't make your char have more pickpoints than it's OA level . . . the message should be changed. I'll take some positive perks first then.

I'm not able to complete the wine quest this time - I'm not getting the prompt from Latis about the drought. The non-disappearance of the 'Portland' dialog that I reported last night is still happening (I wasn't sure from your earlier post whether this was one of the things that was addressed or not). Other than that, I haven't noticed anything odd. Let me know when you want me to have another go at it :)

Hmm, strange. Were you able to get the prompt about the Thermonuclear devices from Bais?

I ran one character through the crafting quest with no problems that I noticed. I had another character successfully take these perks: Powe r Saving, Excavator, Monster Magnetism, Fast Regeneration, Evanascence, I Can't Dance, and Gelatine Bones. Two characers completed the tutorial NPC quests. One character did the "who was I" and the wraith quests. One character has taken 4 points of will and 4 points of vitality with no problems. If the crash situation is still there, it hasn't been easy to reproduce.

Hmm, strange. Were you able to get the prompt about the Thermonuclear devices from Bais?

In all honesty, I don't remember seeing it the other day, and I think something like that would have stood out in my memory (especially since I would have expected it from Morumi). I went to double-check on this today and got no prompt either at Bais', PL library, or from Morumi.

Part of the problem is we are jump up several years on the version of 3rd party scripting engine and the are known to be a little buggy. We've already had to make three patches in their stuff for it to run this well. Two of the patches we found documented, we have to check for the most recent one and see if they have found it before.

So, we can't do functional testing on a limited scope we have to test the entire script engine for hidden bugs, and if there is a memory pointer problem, that might show up anywhere in the server.

I was talking about functional testing through client simulation.

In all honesty, I don't remember seeing it the other day, and I think something like that would have stood out in my memory (especially since I would have expected it from Morumi). I went to double-check on this today and got no prompt either at Bais', PL library, or from Morumi.

But you do remember the Draught option?