Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Beowulf

Skeptic Perk

Hi all.

I'd like to use this thread as a follow up thread from http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36837.

I've considered taking the Skeptic Perk and have already started saving up 30kgc for it. I don't like astrology all that much, even though it adds a bit more dynamic to the game for many others. It makes training/PvP too complicated for me. I don't really know how it affects PK since I avoid PK.

I'd like to use this thread to see how many fighters are thinking of doing the same. Have you have decided to take Skeptic or not?

Edited by Hydro

If u need a lot of training, especially pvp, sceptic perk is good solution.

Those 30k gc r nothing compared to being able to have constant stats all the time, which is basis of fast lvling and taking "right" p/c.

Of coz, if u go pk and find some1 with big + from astro he will slay u like a beaver, but if u r well-trained u dont need those + from astro anyways :(

I personally dont even look if i got big+ or big- coz i like to pk when i feel like it, not when i have advantage coz of astro :P

Also cutlassing yetis is still ok even with big negative modifiers from astro at my lvls :blink:

(I have got like 300 astro-stones, but somehow never had to use them, so they w8 for better times :happy: )

mp

I'd like to use this thread to see how many fighters are thinking of doing the same. Have you have decided to take Skeptic or not?

Don't forget astrology may/will be made better in future.

Don't forget astrology may/will be made better in future.

Entropy said:

As I was saying in a previous thread, there will not be any significant changes in the astrology, except for implementing the two unused values (failure and magic), and maybe some SMALL adjustments, nothing really life changing.

Took the perk, 6 hours of No Drop fun yielded expected results.

Astro day rare stones: rosto, binding, enrich

With perk: rosto, serpent.

CoL now survived :)

Works for me.

I'm not a PK'er (yet :) ) nor a Skeptic opter, but the vast majority of fighters I've spoken to either have or want the perk. It does make sense when the odds to win a duel are very small and all your calculations have be trimmed for accuracy.

In the meantime, there is a strategy for overcoming the mystery of Astrology. Either from buying the stones and scrying one's own future, or by mastering the mathematics that make Astrology work. I have a funny feeling that Entropy would be proud to see us do the latter! I know it can be done, but my soggy old brain is having a hard time just considering it!

I'm curious if anyone is using one of those two methods as opposed to Skeptic to actually get Astrology working in their favor! Any killer math Pr0s out there?? :P

Of coz, if u go pk and find some1 with big + from astro he will slay u like a beaver... :)
Speak for yourself. Not all of us can beat beavers! :o

On topic:

I'm a kinda all-rounder and I took the perk as soon as I could afford it. I need to know what my char is about without checking the horoscope!

BTW, since then I've found 2 bindings, 1 vit removal and 1 enrichment stone. :)

I think it depends on how you use the perk. I think it is every ~5min you degrade will go down or up. If i have a good degrade and see its going up i will train. Then you get to use asro as a free nmt(i know its not as ood as a nmt). If degrade is bad then harvest/make rare are mostlikely up. So i am able to work both sides of it to my advantage. I will probably take skeptic perk though one all my needs are fulfuilled

I also took it, and I'm happy with it. Astro doesn't suit my style of training.

If you use it right Astro is better than being skeptic, but I like to keep things simple. :)

If you use it right Astro is better than being skeptic, but I like to keep things simple. :D

That may be true, but to use it properly, you will soon have spent more than 30k on predictor stones. That is only 300 stones at 100gc each. With my style of play, this is a no-brainer.

The other (main) issue I have with Astro is that it may predict good stats for an activity you don't want to do at that point in time, and vice-versa, thyby controlling your in-game life.

Edit:

Corrected number of stones as pointed out by St_Arcane. Unfortunately it now weakens my argument a bit.

My math isn't really that bad! ;)

Edited by EaglePrince

If you use it right Astro is better than being skeptic, but I like to keep things simple. ;)

That may be true, but to use it properly, you will soon have spent more than 30k on predictor stones. That is only 30 stones at 100gc each. With my style of play, this is a no-brainer.

The other (main) issue I have with Astro is that it may predict good stats for an activity you don't want to do at that point in time, and vice-versa, thyby controlling your in-game life.

I agree 100%. Thats why i took the perk.

Although if you are mainly a fighter, all you will need is def predict stones stones to know what to train, and if u used the time we had #da to learn the astro system, u can calc the rest of ur skills for the next few hours... so 1 or 2 def predicter stones a day is enough... which is less than 300gc a day , and u can get the gc in 5minutes :D

but like u said... most trainers just want to go out and train for a few hours, on 1 type of creature, when they feel like it.

edit: btw 30x100=3000 ;) ... 30kgc is 300 stones

Edited by St_Arcane

Skeptic is a real nice perk if u train ALLOT two weeks of straight training with it and only broke few aug pants

even tho some times even with skeptic i feel tht astro comes into play some days i get hit allot more than others

but if you train allot skeptic ftw :icon13:

I took and love it. Before hand, I never knew how to train. One day I could train very well with great exp, the next day training would suck. Ive broke less stuff with skeptic also.

i believe astro controls what ur char does like when i didnt have skeptic my astro for fighting always sucked i was always -1 or -2 but when i checke my harv astro it was good most of the time like will stone, rosto serps etc thts just my opinion

~bigk

I found out two really big dissadvantages of taking sceptic perk:

1) Cant harvest if u have hos, with sceptic u could do some harvest when ur harvest events were like -40 or bigger negative np, and u didnt get any tele nexus or maybe 1-2 for 10 hours.

2) If ur stats r always the same u dont have that crazy high bonus at positive astro, so killing dragons is way harder, with over 20 more coord and sceptic i was killing dragons about at same rate like i did with lower coord but +6/+7 defense and other positive modifiers from astro( which means i blocked "sometimes" but still often had to diss unless i used summon stones).