Eternal Lands Official Forums
Jezebelle

Newcomers, guilds and such..

All I can say, is long as there are the pros sitting at IP with a few FE and branches, the fire is always lit. no motivation to go and learn how to lite it. I have been playing for almost 2 years, and lite one fire. And as far as community...I live in a community. I play a game, but how can you discribe an internation bunch of silly folks like us a community? Though it is true we have fun playing el together.

Some guildmates and I were talking about this, and possible solutions to newbs being in guilds without the GM caring about the newbs. One possible solution is changing the guild creation requirement level to 70 and make it cost 100k. The guilds would not be able to be transferred to someone who does not have the required level. Also, on the side of recruitment, it would cost 1k per acceptance of new player, with the exception if that guild was the last guild the person was in (i.e. to leave guild to go train, but not to guild hop). This would keep it easy to recruit new players, but make it so guilds cant except people who wont ever play ever again just to boost their guild number.

#edit: for some reason it submitted before I was done typing :D

How would it solve a problem with guild masters not caring about their guildies? I miss the point probably >.<

How would it solve a problem with guild masters not caring about their guildies? I miss the point probably >.<

Compulsory weekly drumming circles.

[solved]

S.

I suspect by hitting them in the wallets. If they have to pay for each person they recruit into their guild, then just maybe they will be selective and responsible about it.

Shea

hey Shea!

Not a bad plan, works both ways as well, guild can ask that amount from the wannabee-guildie too. That way you have less chance they go guildhopping.

Still, I stick with my suggestion that some basic training should be completed as well, to join a guild :lurker:

Jez

Compulsory weekly drumming circles.

[solved]

S.

I suspect by hitting them in the wallets. If they have to pay for each person they recruit into their guild, then just maybe they will be selective and responsible about it.

Shea

There are games requiring that. Guess what, nobody even thinks guild master should pay that from his/her own wallet :lurker:

In EL there are many guilds you have to pay to get higher rank. If this was implemented, they guild masters would only make them pay more to keep their profit the same (or higher) per member :w00t:

a guild is a society, a place to chat and learn and meet likewise people. I hate this elitarianism, as if wearing a tag has to be earned very hard. Some tags do, and that should be enough.

What is more frustrating for new people than 'no you can't join our guild because <insert random crap reason> at every guild, just because there are only a few guilds and it's hard to get one? Even newbie guilds are fun places to be, I have been coGM of one such guild for about a year, then the remaining members mostly went into pr0 guilds but we'll never forget the good old days of CoB. If you have a crowd of like minded people in a guild, then recruit a lot, the chaff will blow away even if you recruit basically everyone. You'll end up with a nice community.

Basically, it comes down to: let other people do whatever they wish to do, if they don't hurt you in doing so.

Forgive me if my memory is failing, old age will do that sometimes, but didn't Entropy mention something a while ago about possibly setting up a mentorship program? Maybe he called it a training hall. I am not sure anymore. Perhaps this would help with some of the conerns people seem to have.

I still stand by my first post, live and let live.

Shea

Isn't anybody realizing the degree to which this is turning into a flame war? Nobody's flaming, but I am seeing a lot of hatred and disgust around here. I'm no idealist, but please, can't people learn to live with opinions they don't share?! :/

Anyway, imho, if you want a change in the game, go for it! Don't you see people talking about all the changes ingame? If you want to have a small community of fun-loving players who understand this sort of thing, then make a whole guild of them! There's really a lot of great, kind, funny people in EL, and you only need to look around to find 'em. ;)

I play a game, but how can you discribe an internation bunch of silly folks like us a community?

How is this not a community? It's a world we've all helped to shape, in all our own ways. We make friends, we fight, we share our stuff, we have all this in common. That's a community.

Edited by draegox

Well said, Draegox!

You beat me to it, just the fact that we all play EL together makes us a community. Of course we have different opinions and tolerance levels, but we are still one bunch of.... um .... gamers!

Maybe another thread in the name of JezeBelles concern with an intelligently organized poll might keep us more civil.

In my opinion, it is important to remember that EL is still in a Beta state and we are all playtesters providing feedback to the developers. This includes, and is made clear to those who try EL for the first time, and those who are slapping dragons around. I was informed when I first read the website that my duty was to have fun, and provide a constructive opinion on the game and offer suggestions to make it better. This, in my opinion, is what Jez is doing with this thread, and beating her up over it is just negative to the whole game in general.

Sorry.... just an opinion

Onward to the Dragons! EL for All!!

(dang, that's arfin' corny....)

Perhaps a way to ensure that new players have to work to become part of a guild would be this :

A. Raise the minimum requirements from 1 skill over 20 , to 2 skills over 20

B. Also take away the harvest skill as a minimum requirement

(Yes before anyone points it out to me, TinT does allow harvest as one skill over 20 ! But I wouldnt see it as a bad thing if this was removed from being a possibility )

This would ensure that players have spent some time developing thier skills before rushing into a guild.

It would go some way also to proving to a guild that your probably here for the long run and havent just joined two days ago and stayed up for 48hrs only to never log back in.

After all is said and done though, it really remains at the discretion of those creating a guild what the requirements are. If someone wants to join a guild that is much harder to get into than others, there are certainly those guilds around, likewise there are guilds that just require you to be a vagabond with a bad attitude towards the community, no names mentioned.

I do understand what Jezz is saying, but at the same time perhaps the many and varied guilds in EL contribute in the long run to there being a wider and more colorful atmoshpere.

Ive only been in EL for about a year and a half ( most of that time spent chatting and totally not bothering being a level addict ! ) but in that year and a half ive seen many guilds come and go.

As has already been said, there are some guilds that will probably allways be here, and thats for a good reason. They are obviously people that love EL for what it is , warts 'n all, and they infuse new recruits with that same passion.

Let it be three skills at 30 then, they have to work a bit more :)

Edited by ville-v

Let it be three skills at 30 then, they have to work a bit more :happy:

Uhh... Two skills over twenty might be good. I think 30 is a tad high.

There is only one thing that i dont understand...Why is that bad if some newbies with 20 lvl harventing joins a guild??? why is that bad? I think that everybody was a newbie once, and his/her dream was to have a tag near his name. This happened to me too! It was my dream to have one, and not just a tag, a guild on that i can be proud of. So if i dident find one, I would created one. Yes the fee to creat a guild is low a bit, but not for a newbie character...They need money to increese theire skills, to buy armours and BR or SR's and HE's so to make a guild isent easy for a starter. And if he/she is ambicious and he make out the money and and his skills and he/she creats a guild, why would we take the happyness from them. They want to became experienced player, and we all know that if theire are more people who works together and trust each other they can level faster, so they can catch up faster...

Troger

There is only one thing that i dont understand...Why is that bad if some newbies with 20 lvl harventing joins a guild??? why is that bad? I think that everybody was a newbie once, and his/her dream was to have a tag near his name. This happened to me too! It was my dream to have one, and not just a tag, a guild on that i can be proud of. So if i dident find one, I would created one. Yes the fee to creat a guild is low a bit, but not for a newbie character...They need money to increese theire skills, to buy armours and BR or SR's and HE's so to make a guild isent easy for a starter. And if he/she is ambicious and he make out the money and and his skills and he/she creats a guild, why would we take the happyness from them. They want to became experienced player, and we all know that if theire are more people who works together and trust each other they can level faster, so they can catch up faster...

Troger

Amen.

The problem is not with joining or creating skills/payments, but with attitude.

Ok, so there isnt anything particularly wrong with the system as it is but !

How about making the command to leave a guild cost 20kgc

Do you think that might make peoples attitude towards joining a guild more thaughtful ?

Troger

I joined my first guild, the moment i hit 20 harvest level. (Yugo) They helped me out a lot, with learning about the different skills and giving me ingredients to level alchemy and suggested what I should train on. I think if it wasn't for the ability to join a guild at level 20, I would've long left the game, since I remember how painful it was tyring to level every harvest hour at sunflowers in WS. It was my goal to finally hit the 20 and be part of a group and I would hate to see it changed.

Ok, so there isnt anything particularly wrong with the system as it is but !

How about making the command to leave a guild cost 20kgc

Do you think that might make peoples attitude towards joining a guild more thaughtful ?

so what? most people get kicked anyways.

I was in an inactive guild for a short period of time, where i had to use the #leave_guild command... I would've been pretty pissed off if i had to pay 20k gc to leave the guild just because I couldn't leave it any other way.

And the conclusion is: there is no issue to be addressed regarding this subject.

Other than players attitude ;> This is something, though, that everyone should work out on oneself.

Edited by Kheres

And the conclusion is: there is no issue to be addressed regarding this subject.

Thats a bit harsh to say, as anyones concerns about anything IS an issue to be adressed if multiple players WANT it to be adressed!

I'm not saying there WILL be changes..only that me and others would LIKE to see a change..^^

Jez

Personaly when i started playing the game i was offered a place in a guild because i had level 20 harvesting, but instead , waited until my alch level was 20 , because I wanted to feel somewhat useful at something other than making a daisy chain all the way to the flower shop and back.

But thats besides the point, what will likely happen about all this discussion is not very much, because as said by a few people now, theres not really anything wrong with the way it is.

However, Ive come up with another idea !

Destroy all guilds currently in game and make only two guilds

The goodies and the baddies

That way, we all work together, level faster, and keep the entry requirements now in play

Also, we will all know straight away whos playing what sort of game

Or they could be called the Donuts and the Burgers ( sweet Vs sick )

Just trying to lighten things up a bit !

peace ( and donuts )

Still, I stick with my suggestion that some basic training should be completed as well, to join a guild :omg:

Jez

I'm a new player ( without the basic training :))

Are you sure you are better player then me ?:omg:

First yours community should check all crazy GM's. It's one of possibilities, why new users make new guilds :)

Still, I stick with my suggestion that some basic training should be completed as well, to join a guild :D

Jez

I'm a new player ( without the basic training :))

Are you sure you are better player then me ?;)

First yours community should check all crazy GM's. It's one of possibilities, why new users make new guilds :)

If you insist on commenting and joining in this topic, make sure you read ALL of it, and read it GOOD.

There was never a discussion about who's a "better" player and who's not

And btw..you are not such a new player..with an OA level of 70 and a def/att of 52/51 ^^

Edited by Jezebelle

if the nubs wear fancy armor just killem and take it. solves that prob xD and if they are in a guild o well. if it's an honerable guild the first time they do somthing wrong (Which they will cuz they never read allll rules) they'll get kicked. to me it really doesnt matter ;)