Eternal Lands Official Forums
RogerDeLluria

To read or not to read

I have the dilemma of reading or not the fluffy book.

If i read it i can switch from cycs (hate cycs) to flufs right now. However, since i'll be on flufs for a long long time i wonder if reading the book can impact my XP long term.

Any comments are welcome.

Don't read any Fighting Books. :icon13:

It will decrease your exp, even if you reset you'll still have the damage increase, and you'll take more damage, so it wont do much to help you.

Don't read any Fighting Books. :icon13:

It will decrease your exp, even if you reset you'll still have the damage increase, and you'll take more damage, so it wont do much to help you.

I see that you will make them more damage, and that may reduce XP

What i don't see is why i will take more damage as well.

I would recommend reading the bear fighting book, since bears can be summoned in PK, nice to kill them fast as possible. But I would only read this one.

The fighting books only increase the chances of you inflicting a critical hit on what your fighting.

I wont go into the 2 types of critical hit and how i believe they work, just know that they inflict more damage than a normal hit.

The combat books will not help you dodge hits or make you take less damage.

No extra def exp will be gained from reading the books.

Once your attack, dexterity and might are at a level where your getting most hits in anyway, reading the books will just make your hits do more damage. This means you get less opportunities to hit your creature before it is dead.

No extra att exp will be gained from reading the books.

Inflicting more damage on a creature means it will die faster, giving them less opportunities to try and hit you, thus giving you less opportunities to dodge their hits.

If anything; reading the books will give you less att and def exp.

The only way i can think of that the books could get you more exp per hour, is if your fighting a creature and your att/dex/acc are too low to easily hit it, reading the books may help with that. For a very brief time it might help you get more attack exp per hour (thats per hour, not per creature). But this exp gain would be short lived, in most cases it would just be a few att levels or some pp's on coord and you'll be better off with the least amount of crits possible. In the long run, imo, better to have not read the combat books.

edit:

Don't read any Fighting Books. :P

I dont either.

Unless Chosen is meaning that after a #reset, before your toughness and reaction are high again, you'll take more damage.

Edited by Korrode

Don't read any Fighting Books. :(

I dont either.

Unless Chosen is meaning that after a #reset, before your toughness and reaction are high again, you'll take more damage.

Yeah, that is what I ment, sorry.

PK is player killing, u dont do that for exp but for fun, for making ur enemies angry( which is big fun :D ), for drops and now for pk points :D

I think u meant pvp training.

Sidenote: OMG, if ppl who train pvp( pk for exp lol :D ) r calling it pking no idea what will come next :hug:

( hopefully pk server B) )

mp

Is there other way to PK than for exp? Isn't that what PK maps are for? ;)

i dont thnk people PK for experience (remember PK and PvP are 2 different things, PK is fighting with intent to kill the other player... PvP is fighting to gain mutual experience) ... generally people PK for kills/drops/pk points/fun ...

I think Piter was just laughing at Ryoko for calling PvP'ing, "PK'ing". (hard to understand him sometimes with his broken english :P;) )

Edit: actually i just noticed my 1st paragraph is exactly what piter said... just other words... lol

Edited by St_Arcane

There are "alchemy schools", where people make essences. If they did make only potions there, it would be called "potion school" instead.

Only people seen on PK maps are there for exp (player or monster, doesn't matter) or harvesting. If that's what "PK maps" are used for, then that has to be what "PK" means, no matter if it comes from other words. The red message does not call them "PvP maps" or "training maps."

On "PK server" there are no "PK maps", so there is no separate place to "PK for exp". That means people will be "PKing for killing" instead. Suddenly the word "PK" means different things on different servers.

That is pure logic, you cannot controvert it ;)

My english is pr0 enough, u could understand what i meant, St, so all cool ;)

(wont comment on vile-v post coz i didnt understand one bit of it even ;) )

mp

Well just some thoughts. Are we all sure that by hitting something more often we get less exp?

Is the damage actually more? Well if critical to damage was so important then sunbreaker would be the best weapon in game but it sucks. Same with critical to hit and rapier.

Are we all sure that with accuracy we are only increasing the chances to score hits? I think that we are increasing the chances to avoid hits also. My opinion is that accuracy is more important than extra armor to avoid being hit in combat. Try to train with unicorn medallion and with moon medallion and u ll see that too.

Sorry for being off topic a bit but i think that el has still a lot of secrets left to be discovered from all of us.

My english is pr0 enough, u could understand what i meant, St, so all cool :P

(wont comment on vile-v post coz i didnt understand one bit of it even :pinch: )

mp

lol i didnt really get what he was saying either... but i didnt bother delving into it. :(

Well just some thoughts. Are we all sure that by hitting something more often we get less exp?

Is the damage actually more? Well if critical to damage was so important then sunbreaker would be the best weapon in game but it sucks. Same with critical to hit and rapier.

Are we all sure that with accuracy we are only increasing the chances to score hits? I think that we are increasing the chances to avoid hits also. My opinion is that accuracy is more important than extra armor to avoid being hit in combat. Try to train with unicorn medallion and with moon medallion and u ll see that too.

Sorry for being off topic a bit but i think that el has still a lot of secrets left to be discovered from all of us.

The sunbreakers sucks, that is true, but the rapier is usefull for landing a hit on an opponent no matter what their def/armour is (try it on something u cant hit often, like yeti/giant/dragon) It wont help u win PK fights tho... since u cant kill people who u hav to rely on a sword's crit to hit and he/she hits u all the time, but its usefull for ganging some1/something more powerfull i suppose.

And about that accuracy/avoid hits thing... i'm not sure, but oddly enough i have experienced some weird effects with uni/mood med (getting hit more with uni on than moon) ... also when i use accu pots/cutlass... my theory ( and i know this sounds stupid) is that: since when you hit something, it makes that weird animation that shows its been hit, and therefore because its been hit, it doesnt hit immediatly afterwards? :hiya: but i suppose it could all just be random.

And btw since i didnt comment on the real topic, here goes: Do not buy or read any fighting books, aside from stuff u will just kill for drops, like players, yeti,dragon, bears... i sadly thought that u got 5+ a/d when i was a n00b, so i read them... but since i only found out that the books make u crit more ( so less exp) after i reached feros, it didnt matter anymore i suppose ( although i have a suspicion that the wolf fighting book is making me crit the chims i train on now, more often B) ).

i'm not sure, but oddly enough i have experienced some weird effects with uni/mood med (getting hit more with uni on than moon)

The answer is simple: Unicorn medallion increased defense, moon medallion does not.

i'm not sure, but oddly enough i have experienced some weird effects with uni/mood med (getting hit more with uni on than moon)

The answer is simple: Unicorn medallion increased defense, moon medallion does not.

errr, i think u need to re-read St_Arcane's post, he said he gets hit more with uni med equipped than he does with moon. Implying that he suspects accuracy helps you dodge hits, perhaps even more so than defense.

Many others have speculated this also. I personally disagree, in my experience i dodge more hits with uni med... but, if a person is only using how often they heal themselves to determine which is better defense wise, i can see how they could think that moon is better than uni... not having the +4 armor from moon med will result in normal hits and crit to dmg hits doing more damage; could result in more healing. Still, based on my tests you will get more def exp per hour with uni med... (and numerous times i did specific moon VS uni testing).

Edited by Korrode

There is simple explanation to uni/moon med issue.

Yes, uni med gives u 4 more defense( its not like it gives u +4 ur natural def, it gives u same type of defense increase like shields or evasion pots, on the other hand iron/steel armor parts often take that defense away).

Moon med gives u +4 accuracy, which is cool but most important is other bonus that is given by moon med: +4 armor.

For ppl with relatively high def compared to mobs they train on armor statistic is VERY important, better armor makes u block better if ur def is high enough.

From my personal experience i can also say that with moon med u will break less stuff than if u wear uni med( same creature, stats etc :blink:

I hope we cleared that out once and for all :(

My general advice would be:

Use moon med when u begin training on new monster and on pk/killing strong creatures for drops, use uni med on pvp with similar or weaker player(if he is weaker it helps when he wears moon med), and on mob training if u can block them good and also if u dont break too much stuff on them.

mp

I generally agree with all MP said.

The only thing i will add is that i found uni med can help u move to Ogres and Feros a bit early. If you're prepared to risk some decent armor (to make up for the loss of 4 armor from moon med), uni med is good for someone in 50's def to goto Ogre, or 90's def people to goto Feros (because ogre and feros have much higher att than they do def, so hitting them is no prob (i.e. dont need +4 to acc from moon), but blocking their hits is harder.)

Yeah i have to agree with MP. The thing i have found since astro came in is i have that almost daily i have to change from moon to uni to get the best exp but yeah acc of moon med doesnt get more DEF exp for me