Eternal Lands Official Forums
JimP

Public Library

Ok, I came up with this idea yesterday morning...and killed myself trying to make it work. Now, I just checked with a mod, and he said that "technically" I can't do what I had hoped.

I wanted to create a public Library... open to all... sort of a swap shop...but no money changes hands.

I'm suprised at the amount of people that LOVED this idea. They threw away books all the time, just to make room in storage.

So, I asked around, and people LOVED this idea!!! They were dumping all sorts of books on me!

Now I have all these donated books, but I can't give them to the character I created..."The_Librarian".

I explained to the mod that I'm in no way interested in proffiting from this.... can I just give all my donated books to that character? All The_Librarian will do is give out free books to people in need...or trade higher level books for different higher level books.

ie: you walk up to him and say

"Hi, I have this book of Gold Molding, but I already know Gold Molding, can I trade this for any other similar book... say Iron Molding?"

or

"Hi, I have this book on Red Dragon Fighting... Already read it once... can I trade this and Desert Chim Fighting in... and get Black Dragon Fighting?"

It's amazing how many people are sitting on books, when they could trade them in and help someone else out in the process.

Here is the website I created so people could check which books I had in stock.

http://www.freewebs.com/jiminma50/books/index.html

The mod told me that it'd be ok if I told everyone from now on, to donate DIRECTLY to The_Librarian ... but how do I get all these books over to him? Can a mod do a one time trade with my MAIN character... and then drop all the books off to The_Librarian?

HELP ME!!!!!! LOL

Where will we be able to find The_Librarian? Will he hang out on the same spot/map every time he/you are logged on?

The website mentions that he will be on VotD.

I'm wondering if you are planning on controlling this character yourself, or are you programming a bot to handle it? I like the idea and would be happy to help if needed.

Wow...what a response....

I just thought this whole thing up yesterday morning, and was struggling just to make it happen.

Radu said as long as NO PROFIT is made, I can have a FREE bot... but I have NO clue how to do that... so I guess I'll have to control him for now. I hope Torg can help me change that ;-)

First day was very un-eventful ... sitting in VOTD Storage ... but once people start helping out, I'm sure that'll change.

A couple of Guilds have promised big shipments today... but I must've missed them.

For now, I'll post a screen shot of my inventory list... so sick of typing it all into the webpage LOL

I'd like to make it a TRADE = TRADE: Unless its a book I have 45 of...then just take it LOL

ie: If you need a book that costs 10k...then give me 2 books that cost 5k....or 10 books that cost 1k

High level books...(ie: Dragon Fighting) would require 2 books of similar value

(to help fill up the library shelves, so others can benefit too)

Gnite all.... and thanks for the support!

4808263010141d13d21e6f6bc1defce159e851.jpg

In case you missed him.... =)

4808505e73e8ebdf9dd23984a8e0b2e838ea70.jpg

Most any generic sales bot code should be able to handle it fine. I would expect the code could handle a price of zero, but if not, buying/selling books for 1gc each is close enough to "free".

The biggest problem I see is that any bot will be limited to 36 books. Not 36 types of books, but 36 total books since they are not stackable. That will mean that someone will have to take in donations and hold them and then stock the bot as needed to keep him full.

But I think it's well worth the effort to help move some of these useless drop books on to newer players who can use them.

Shouldn't he be in a Library rather than standing in the street? Portland Library for instance?

I really like this idea - especially if you can get someone to code it as a bot for you.

I like Trollson's suggestion too, but as bkc56 points out, such a bot would have to have very limited quantities if it's not at a storage.

Another consideration you may want to make - many new players do not understand the value of that extremely rare book they get from rabbits. It would be a nice feature if they would be warned of that before accepting their donation :bow_arrow:

Shouldn't he be in a Library rather than standing in the street? Portland Library for instance?

Well yeah, but if he has permission to access storage directly to expand the number of books able to be traded, then VotD would seem best (most common especially for newbies).

That's a big IF. I don't know if Ent has/hasn't given permission to trade directly to/from storage.

A library would make more sense, but the problem I could see with Portland is encouraging newbies to trudge around their new books that the nice bunny dropped in a map where Bob is running loose - VOTD makes more sense in this regard since at least there is a warning when monsters are spawning there.

Out of curiosity, would turning this character into an outright NPC solve any of the other issues mentioned, like capacity or lack of traffic from other players? I know that a librarian NPC already exists - perhaps this guy could be turned into a monk character, charitable yet still bookish?

jiminma50 - I think your idea's a really cool one, and I'm glad you came up with it :bow_arrow:

many new players do not understand the value of that extremely rare book they get from rabbits. It would be a nice feature if they would be warned of that before accepting their donation :bow_arrow:

My understanding for the idea was the bot had a list of "worth" for each book and would only accept similar books (eg wanting 1 book worth 20k so trade 2 books worth 10k).

many new players do not understand the value of that extremely rare book they get from rabbits. It would be a nice feature if they would be warned of that before accepting their donation :w00t:

My understanding for the idea was the bot had a list of "worth" for each book and would only accept similar books (eg wanting 1 book worth 20k so trade 2 books worth 10k).

Question: would worth be determined by NPC price (price to buy from NPC) or market value (perhaps using Trinitybot); (prices that NPC buys at would be somewhat ridiculous :bow_arrow:). That might lead to another question: what about books that have no NPC price, if that is used?

I think it's a very nice idea too, I usually try to give away some books when my storage starts to fill up with them :icon13:

Question: would worth be determined by NPC price (price to buy from NPC) or market value (perhaps using Trinitybot)

Well I was thinking that someone would have to enter and manage the list of prices for each book. If I was coding/hosting the bot I could link the db to Trins... which would keep both systems up-to-date as I'm sure people would complain if prices are wrong. ;-)

/edit: Damn typos

Edited by Torg

many new players do not understand the value of that extremely rare book they get from rabbits. It would be a nice feature if they would be warned of that before accepting their donation :bow_arrow:

I completely agree with this. I found my first special swords book after about 80 rabbits. I was considering just leaving it in the bag, until i consulted with the market channel, and discovering it was worth 20k. I think it would be cool if Librarian sent a warning message to the person after they accepted once...

I like Trollson's suggestion too, but as bkc56 points out, such a bot would have to have very limited quantities if it's not at a storage.

It would be useful if there where more "blessings" that you could get for a 'bot, to allow them to server more as extensions to the game than at present. Currently the only blessing is an attribute boost.

Two possible blessing which should be relatively easy to implement (server side):

1. Stackable blessing -- everything is stackable in the 'bots inventory. This could be done safely server-side, by a flag against the character. Existing 'bots should work okay, if they don't try to be too clever. This should be a trivial change server-side?
  2. Storage access blessing -- the bot can access its own storage wherever it is. The 'bot receives a storage list on log-in, and the server doesn't vet storage use by location (or it vets by the 'bots "home" location). The 'bots would have to be recoded to use storage in this way.

Edited by trollson

Well...I put him in VOTD because he's close to the boat...so anyone can get there quickly. I also try to stand WITHIN reach of storage.... so I can get any book you need...and you can dump LOTS of books directly into my storage.

Thanks to all who are helping out... I really apreciate it. If you know of anyone who needs books, be sure to pass the word out. I have 73 books of Crafting Potion sitting on the shelves LOL and 41 Book of Magic Potion!

i dont like the idea that books have to be traded for books of equal worth... it just wont work.

why not make the basic ones free?

about the special swords ones its a bit difficult because they can be abused, but there is low demand... maybe set a (low) fixed price eg 3kgc? if sold and bought for the same price that doesnt violate ent's terms and conditions does it?

Edited by extrapolation

Newbies could use this if they happened to buy the wrong book, or bought the same book twice by mistake. Apart from this, many newbies will not be getting book drops.

So it should be useful but perhaps a giveaway to newbies for any book that goes over a certain quantity? Say 10, at which point the book title shifts to the rght on your list anyway :o

I've put a link to the website on the Star guild website, under links. :unsure:

Well...it has been stated that The_librarian cannot access storage... and he can't be in VotD ... so, I guess thats all folks.

I'm not building a bot that can only have 36 items... there are 283 books...and if someone donated 24 Book of Potions.... well... bot would fill up real quickly.

Thanks to all who had ideas... and all who offered assistance.... =S

Guest Selwyn

I think that this would have been a lovely idea. I know that there are many new players who could benefit from this quite a bunch. I would have, but luckily I met some very nice people who give me everything I need. ^_^ If only there was a way to do this without the conflict.