Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xenkoriu

The EL Theater

I recently had the idea that starting an organized group to put on plays and performances and such in EL could be fun. So, I began creating a website, which you can find here

Please feel free to post in the forums on the site ( either with play ideas, suggestions, etc. ) Or you can reply here.

There will be contests involved at times. Different groups sign up to do plays and whomever's is the best (determined by a few judges) wins the contest and the prizes. However, not all performances will be contests.

I will be updating the site in days to come, please let me know what you think, and I could always use some helping hands :blush:

P.S. - Is setting this up allowed and/or approved? I've never done a large event before so I'm not sure if I have to get my idea approved or not. Please let me know.

Edited by xenkoriu

One possible reason that no one is responding is that this idea has been presented before with no solid outcome. Perhaps people are taking a wait-and-see approach.

In theory, this always sounds like a good idea, but it takes lots of people to be able to go through with it.

I don't know if you attended the EL gala back in july by any chance, but Lumino had some early plans of performances, in the end, we mostly had to scratch those and replace them with other things due to lack of interest on the part of any necessary performers. Also, it would be very hard to translate the idea of real theatre to an online game. It would be very difficult to create something that would hold peoples attention and be exciting. Very few movements are possible for our characters, and therefore most of the performance would be solely text which could get boring easily for many people.

Mostly, I think this is a wonderfull idea, but in my opinion EL just lacks the proper features to make it work right. Even in other games, such as runescape for example, which has loads of different movements your characters can make, it just wouldn't be the same as watching a real performance and would get boring very fast.

Yeh first of the Lack of Emotions (the heck, if i would know how to create em i may would give it a try even

outta boredom) but also, i know we have quite a couple of serious role players, but lets see the fact that

most of EL really would rather go train on their skills or doing other stuff than looking at ppl on a stage

back and forth. most of community just lack the attitude to parcipate in such an event (please take to notice

thats just my OPPINION).

Which is on one side understandable, but on the other side sad.

Hi Xen :unsure:

Basically what I have to say is similar to what's been said already, so I'll keep it brief. This is a fantastic idea in theory, as Enly articulated, but she is also right in that it's quite difficult to realize. If you've ever been involed in real life theatre (which I assume you have) you know that anyone can memorize lines and actions; what distinguishes a "good" play from a truly engaging theatrical experience are the smallest details...faces actors make, the way they play off each other, and the tones of their voices, all things beyond the capabilities of Eternal Lands. But never fear, because the way I see it, if there are people excited about something there is always a way to realize a dream, and you are clearly excited about this.

My suggestion would be not to give up! While a play may not be totally interesting, why not go wild? If anyone is familiar with the work of the Neo-Futurists, an eminent and respected modern theater group in Chicago, you'll know what I'm talking about. In their most famous work, "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind", they have 30 short 2-minute scenes, all unrelated, and spin a roulette wheel to determine the order. This can be done in EL and with good results! What about a show that's made up as it goes, perhaps with the audience contributing ideas throughout? Such twists add excitement and drama and make theater possible in EL.

It will take hard work to implement, but if you're dedicated enough, I say bust in there and make it happen!

Lumino :o

Your points are well taken. I understand it could get dull without much emotes and movements, but as long as the plays are kept short I would think it would be ok. Also, some plays that require fighting could take place in an arena of some sort so that there is actual action going on. I figure that the new magic effects could help with entertainment as well.

Lumino, i like your idea of the audience participating, I will definitely consider it :unsure:

As for people only being worried about skills, I just can't understand that. I ,personally, look forward to events in EL because working on skills can often get tedious and boring. I would think a nice 5-10 minute play would be a nice break, but who knows.

Of course you're right; a 5-10 minute play in EL wouldn't be at all boring. The problem is, is it worth all the effort you will have to go to for such a short show...but that's a decision you have to make, it will be a lot of work but if there were to be say a five minute show every month, I'd attend every one.

Lum

Well, that's why I need performers and helpers. If people are interested, and start signing up via the forums on the EL Theater site, I can set up dates and times for performances. Also, if I got enough people where there could be, say, 3 or 4 5-10minute skits (for a contest) I don't think that would be too bad either since we'd be switching it up.

Also, if tailoring comes out soon, we can make different clothes to be used as costumes instead of just armor :P

i think this idea is cool

but i really want to watch a sjow other than "Act" in a show :pickaxe:

Please everyone, if you are interested in helping me out ( i cant do this without you :P ) go to the site in my original post, go to the forums, and tell me you are willing. Thanks in advance.

-Xen-

Why not do an EL version of a one-act play festival? Keep the "one acts" short- 5 minutes or so, and have several teams working on different ones. Could even be a contest with prizes for the winning team. I bet some of our resident role players might take an interest. Don't get discourage by lack of initial response on the forums though. Not everyone reads them every day (heck, lately I've been so busy I can't even play EL every day! The horror!!!!! :P ) There is interest, it just may take a while to reach everyone.

Llyn :icon13:

Well, yes, I quite understand this, and if you went to the site and read the forums like I suggested, you would see that you have re-stated some of my ideas :omg:

P.S.- Please don't take any offense to this post, I understand it may sound mean but that isn't my intention. I just didn't know how to write it any other way to get my point across :icon13:

FYI, Scafativ is making some programmed bots to do just this-put on plays.

Of course having real people do it is even better and even more fun! I wish you luck with getting this going Xenkoriu ;)

Oh, I think I read something about that but I had forgotten, o well. I'd like people to participate anyways and I'd still like to get the EL Theater up and running!

As I mentioned to you via PM, I am interested in acting (its also one of my RL interests...) but only once I have some more free time. Right now the podcast and a few other things are my main concerns, but I will eventually get on board. And I do think that a play is entirely possible; text won't be too boring, if it was, why would people read books? :omg: If the text itself is interesting (and this means that the play must be catered specially to EL; no adapting currently written plays to the EL stage will be too successful IMHO) then this is not only possible, but it will be very enjoyable. I would also love to write a script or two, another thing I enjoy doing (though I usually write for film :)).

Can't wait!

Lum

I have written a play myself and posted it on the site. I need a total of about 8 actors/actresses and would like to perform sometime in october. If you wish to act, read the play and post here or on the EL Theater site with what role you want. If you don't want to act, DO NOT read the play because it will give everything away. Come watch it instead :D

In theory, this always sounds like a good idea, but it takes lots of people to be able to go through with it.

I don't know if you attended the EL gala back in july by any chance, but Lumino had some early plans of performances, in the end, we mostly had to scratch those and replace them with other things due to lack of interest on the part of any necessary performers. Also, it would be very hard to translate the idea of real theatre to an online game. It would be very difficult to create something that would hold peoples attention and be exciting. Very few movements are possible for our characters, and therefore most of the performance would be solely text which could get boring easily for many people.

Mostly, I think this is a wonderfull idea, but in my opinion EL just lacks the proper features to make it work right. Even in other games, such as runescape for example, which has loads of different movements your characters can make, it just wouldn't be the same as watching a real performance and would get boring very fast.

A SIMPLE SUGGESTION

But first let me say that I appreciate your ideea very much and I think it is very interesting.

I one wud like to sign up for some plays and some directing,script writing if needed.

Few leads : :laugh:

Use Mute Play for a test

Make a Play about Romeo and Juliette (that can be fun,eassy to do) make prints of the play and it's sceens...post it someplace...your site maybe ? :)

So this might be one way to get unconfused :omg:

I'll try to watch this thread. Maybe we can contribute to Xen's Theatre and even give it a name. It is worth workin for it to have the fun and kinda getting to know eachother.

EDITSomeone really had to have this thing started. I saw u mentioned a script,that is a great start. Also had a chance to visit the site and have to say it is very impresive. If u'd like I'd be willing to help and hand out some ideas for plays. places to act . story lines.

I liked the distribution you have for the actors. Wud like to sign up for the role of the Son. If possible to take an audition for it....like all respectable actors should do.

Hope to hear from you soon,guys...and good luck with The EL Theatre !!!

( Xen proved if you wish to work,dedicate yourself for an idea...trust your dreams and make them come true....anything is possible -> ofr I have read the topic from top to bottom...and at first the odds were against this project. I am glad you guys where able to pull it off and show the world it is doable :D )

May We please the Gods with dramaturgical 'offerings' ;)

Edited by falonor

Thanks a lot for your interest falonor, of course you may play the son :D I plan on setting up a few practices including one mandatory one before we actually perform to see if my actors are going to actually show up and do the right things.