Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jezebelle

astrology

First of all i would like to say Im sorry if this is in the wrong section/thread, but it seems all others are closed..

Now, little by little i come to understand more about the astrology as it is implented atm.

And yes, i love it..it adds more..spice to our day to day work :)

My question #1 is; before astrology you had a random chance on enriched essences, say once every 1000 essies you made. If you have an increased chance on a day the stars smile down on you, does the amount of essies you made before that day count as well?

I hope I made clear what i mean by thi..

Second question; it might be me, but when you have an increased chance on harvest events, does that affect the chance on food poisoning as well?

I cannot be sure on this, since its all random, but it seems that way to me..

Is there any programming connection between those 2 events, harvest and poisoning?

More importantly, did anyone else noticed this too?

And again..thnx for the astrology, been waiting for that a long time :) Now all i hope is that the stars smile ALOT on me!

Jez

I think I can answer your question #1 (supposing what I've understood is correct - but I'm pretty sure it is :) ): the chance of making rare stuff (like all other chances off doing something) is totally independant of what you've made before.

The chance to make an enriched essie is a chance, how many you have made and when before that one is totally irrelevant. To give an example:

Lets assume the chance to make an EXE is 1/10000.

Under good stars the chance might be 1/9500.

Every time you make an XE the server gives it a random number and decides if it is a 'critical hit'. When the chance is 1/10000 you roll a 10000-sided dice and when the 1 comes up you get an EXE. When you have a chance in 1/9500 you roll a 9500-sided dice and again if the 1 comes up you get an EXE. The dice is rolled for each xe and the chance, how many sides to the dice, depends on the stars at that moment.

Maybe you are a lucky person and managed to roll a 1 the first time, or maybe you are unlucky and have no EXE even after 30k XE made.

I hope this helps explain how chance works.

About the poisoning vs harvest events, I havent noticed anything but will pay some closer attention.

i was looking for a connection between a modifier and significant better chance not to get poisoned.

The negative harv event would fit and make sense

i was looking for a connection between a modifier and significant better chance not to get poisoned.

The negative harv event would fit and make sense

I think it depend of failure.

It look like the chance to get poisoned is higher now than before astro, or maybe I just mix at wrong time.

I think Maxine and Jarld are right about #1. The old 'flip a coin 100 times' math question.

I haven't noticed poisoning going with harvest events, if anything the opposite. My menu is cooked meat and toadstools (washed down with Dwarven ale :) ) and I've gotten lots of Harv. Events stars, but have been very lucky with the toadstools. Meanwhile, radon, cavern walls, Mom, and teleport have kept me off the forums while I harvest! Oh, and I found a binding stone :) .

Maybe poisoning is with fail rate or degrade, but Entropy should weigh in on that, I'm just a dvarf!

Astrology is cool, but could it be modified a bit so that all aspects aren't bad at the same time, like if your a/d bonuses are negative, you have better chances at other skills and vice versa, or is that considered too easy?

The poison chance is not affected by the astrology.

Thank you Radu. I think my questions have been answered now.

Jez

Astrology is cool, but could it be modified a bit so that all aspects aren't bad at the same time, like if your a/d bonuses are negative, you have better chances at other skills and vice versa, or is that considered too easy?

I think you don't understand how it works.

I was wondering about the astrology cycles/curves. Are all the sign's cycles the same, just offset by different times? You (Entropy) once said that people may want to keep their number secret because one could figure out other people's stats. That would imply the curves are the same since if I know my info, and the delta to your sign, I could figure out your info.

Related to the above, is my own sign's cycle the same each time, or does it vary? For example, if I know my harvest cycle hits a peak in events, dips a bit, then hits another peak before dropping off, will it always have that same pattern cycle after cycle?

Maybe I didnt get it indeed. Just according to my observations, my astrology stats were either mostly good (high rare item chances, low degrade, + a/d, -failure etc), or mostly bad. Anyway, personally I have no problems with this system

I was wondering about the astrology cycles/curves. Are all the sign's cycles the same, just offset by different times? You (Entropy) once said that people may want to keep their number secret because one could figure out other people's stats. That would imply the curves are the same since if I know my info, and the delta to your sign, I could figure out your info.

Related to the above, is my own sign's cycle the same each time, or does it vary? For example, if I know my harvest cycle hits a peak in events, dips a bit, then hits another peak before dropping off, will it always have that same pattern cycle after cycle?

They are all an offset of eachother. All have an offset of a value that is divisible by 30 (you need to look at the values from the server, not the actual ones, but you can easily calculate server to actual and actual to server).

Edited by Cycloonx

sorry for hi-jacking this thread (I'm too much the grey man to start one of my own).

It's nice to see the Skeptic perk has been introduced. I was just wondering if it is going to be a positive perk or a negative perk. (30Kgc well spent)...

It's nice to see the Skeptic perk has been introduced. I was just wondering if it is going to be a positive perk or a negative perk. (30Kgc well spent)...
I guess it depends on if you consider opting-out of Astrology to be a positive thing or a negative thing.

Really, the perk is what it is. I don't understand how one would wonder if it's positive or negative.

There is a new perk, Skeptic. It cost 30Kgc to take, and no PP.

From update announcement

It isn't positive or negative (does not take or give PPs like all the other perks)

I would like to know, is it secret what sign we are now, or are there a way to know ?

I think of - for people who have not been online for the last month or so. :icon13:

I would like to know, is it secret what sign we are now, or are there a way to know ?

I think of - for people who have not been online for the last month or so. :icon13:

Well there is not really a point in knowing your sign. But maybe it's a bug, i'm not sure :cry:

Yes, there is no point to know your sign. If enough people want to know their sign, I can make a stone for it.

Maybe a (possibly different) NPC could just tell you your sign for a fee, no need for an extra stone for it; and it would be nice if it would give a name instead of a number :icon13: Of course it might be easier to just make a stone than to allow the NPC to interact with antisocials for that part; or make a spell to tell other players sign, after all that might be of strategic interest for PK (for people that have figured out how to calculate/guesstimate the effects)...

Yes, there is no point to know your sign. If enough people want to know their sign, I can make a stone for it.

well I think why people would like to know there sign is so they can share stones,alot easier if 5 ppl with the same sign buy 1 stone each than each buy 5

Edited by conavar

well I think why people would like to know there sign is so they can share stones,alot easier if 5 ppl with the same sign buy 1 stone each than each buy 5

You can still compare by buying all the stone of 1 modifier and look if they give the same stats :)

I think it would be nice to have some sort of indicator for signs as well for flavor. Stone or gypsy fortuneteller NPC - doesn't matter to me.

Imagine this scenario: young Eragonolas1024 is mining when xXxcutechickxXx comes along

Eragonolas1024: Hi there beautiful, what's your sign?

xXxcutechickxXx: Hmm, let me check... Well, my make rare is -500 and getting better.

Eragonolas1024: Mine is 220. >< I failed trig, does that make us compatible or not???

xXxcutechickxXx: Well, bye loser, I'm off to make some EME.

Things may have gone better for our young fan of contemporary fiction if signs had an interesting name. :bow_arrow:

disclaimer: the names used in this depictment are imaginary and were chosen for their humor value only; any relationship to actual characters in game is unintentional, so don't take offense, k? :icon13:

It would be fun to have a whole Astrological Hocus-Pocus history with zodiac and constellations, symbols, etc., but I'll be the first to admit I don't have the patience to put that kind of thing together! But, it would be fun...

Maybe some old scrying witches as NPC's to spew cryptic jive for a few gcs......

I'm very pleased that my 'sign' turned out to be the same as my RL 'sign' which I pay little attention to in RL. This brings me to the new update. I do miss using "#da" but in the few days since update the effects are just as noticeable and I can plan my routine to fit after very little experimentation. I don't have the edumacation to do all the Math and predict my stars, but I have got the mediwockle knowhow to tell when I'm wasting ingredients and foodstuffs on a bad failure rate (learned that yesterday!)

Still, I support the Astrology system full on, and appreciate the extra variety in possible outcomes of what used be predictable, boring routines. :icon13: