Eternal Lands Official Forums

Waquan, the guilds' continent.

After I saw the new pirate's clothes, I thought it would be nice to have a new EL's continent: Waquan.

Waquan has only islands (20-30), so characters can go there only with boats.

Every guild, thanks to engineers' work, can start a project to build a boat, to form a crew (each boat

can carry min 3? and max 4-6? players) and so to go conquer an island.

The islands, at the beginning, only have harvestable items and some animal.

When a guild's boat takes an island, that guild will start to build a settlement, first of all the storehouse.

Into the storehouse there will be a guild's NPC where automatically, every minute, will be storaged 1?

item of every harvestable item found in that island.

Some guild(s) will build boat(s) only for piracy actions (with archers, watermines, etc), but the islands

will all be PK, except some period when the guild is involved in building activities.

We need to decide when a settlement is complete (how many constructions, etc), but when a guild

completes it, that guild can try to conquer another island and so on.

The destruction of the storehouse will represent the conquest/loss of an island.

Note.

Boat's crew. If each boat can carry several players, who is the captain? (meaning: who clicks to move

the boat?). We need a formula to value charm/perception/rationality/reaction/dexterity of the players:

the best one will have the possibility to click (disabling click for the others).

If a player logs off while is on a boat... when he logs on again, he will be a shipwrecked person on the nearest island.

When we leave Seridia or Irilion with the boat, we'll reach a water map whith this point of view (more or less):

watermaplx5.jpg

We can move only with boat on the water, we can attack other boats, etc.

When we land, we'll be on a standard map (island)

This is just a hint of my idea, so if the water map can be a first easy step... it's welcome! :D

@aphistolas yes it is fair. guilds simply take time to form, it seems a little narrow minded to me to say that having 30k gold and a skill over 39 should be able to give you equal power on the battelfield to that of an old, developed guild. anyway, more guildies = less loot for each individual.

i love this idea

why not make the GM the one who controls the boat? or the GM can set up a ranking list (seperate from the current rankings, because controlling ships has nothing to do with sending #ig messages etc.) for whenever he's offline/not on the continent.

who gets the auto-harvested goods? is it divided equally into all guildies' personal storage? or is it the one who goes to the storehouse to empty it? how easy would it be to do the muling?

can occupied islands be conquered by other guilds?* or only the store-houses be raided?**

*if so then there are problems: how do you defend an island, when all guildies are logged off? even if theyre online no one wants to sit guarding an island for 1 ore/minute in PK, when they could get 60 ore/minute in desert pines.

*if not, then how do islands change hands? you cant let a guild keep it forever imo

**how do you defend against this? hidden landmines would be cool maybe, but iirc theyre only going to be active if the person who laid it is still on the map

Edited by extrapolation

Would it be fair on newly formed guilds? If the 20~30 Islands were taken over by much stronger guilds.

That could be easily corrected: let's say no guild might have more than 1-2 islands. Perhaps not making all of it pk, as well.

As a whole, I like the idea of an aquatic continent (a sort of EL Waterworld :D ). It could be that some of the ideas jotted here would benefit from future improvements: building a storehouse (coast fort) would perfectly fit when it will be possible to create and inhabit buildings, for instance.

Rehdon

The idea of an EL archipelago could be great fun for exploration and high-seas shenanigans. It has come up before.

I'm pretty sure that the auto-harvest NPC will never happen though.

Developing an island would be related to the "city building" topic, so its a possibility.

Tying islands to guilds is problematic; number of islands vs number of guilds. Instance maps would come in useful here, but these are not available.

Capturing islands off other guilds would mean that its just a PK extension, and there needs to be scope for non-PK guilds. I guess there would have to be a mix of "claimable" islands types:

• PK claimed and held by force.
  • Non-PK by bribing the natives (cf. Merchant NPC rent, except with bribes).

Travel by ship: Use a "mass teleport" (everyone on the ship) to an identical ship on another map (or map area). Then control who can initiate the event ("setting sail"). Possible maps:

• Ship at sea (mid-voyage, possibly with sea monsters).
  • Becalmed in the sargasso sea.
  • Two ships meeting at sea (is the other ship flying the pirate flag?). Each ship is only accessible when someone is on it.
  • Two ships meet again, except the other is filled with monsters (ship of undead, orc ship, etc).
  • Ship wrecked/run aground on an island.
  • Landed at an island.
  • Back to the main land.

A locking mechanism is needed to prevent multiple parties arriving at the same ship. Options:

• Destination ship is "locked" if it is occupied.
  • Arriving at a ship "locks" it, departing from a ship "unlocks" it (with timeout on locks).

There could also be pre-requisits for setting sail ("use X with wheel", where X is used up if you reach the intended destination), which could get interesting:

• Without guidance, you sail to a random destination (even with guidance there is a chance of this).
  • "Treasure Maps" allow sailing to their destination (and are used up in the process). They are only obtainable from the islands they lead to. Not all islands provide maps.
  • Sail under a "Pirate Flag" to aim for PK 'two ships at sea' maps.
  • Ship wrecked maps require collecting some "stuff" from the island to repair the ship before you can leave.
  • Other "flags" would make a good metaphores for travel, particularly back to major mainland ports.

Piracy only works if there are treasure ships out there. So we need people to have to ship their isle-gotten gains back to the mainland. So, no storage access on the islands, and no beaming, teleport rings, portal rooms, etc.

A PK two-ships map should offer a
safe zone
(non-PK) on each ship; but it is not possible to "set sail" from that location. A "cooldown" is needed on "setting sail" to prevent quick sailing away.

As a 'continent', the archipelago would have its own underworld. This could be on a larger "free" island. Getting from here back to the mainland should be as dangerous/risky as from any other island, to avoid short-cut-by-suicide.

There is also an issue with
logging out
mid-journey, and logging back in to find yourself on either an empty ship (possibly locking the ship), possibly stranded there if you lack the means to set sail yourself.

If you log in, and the ship has been used (arrived at, or departed from) since you logged out, then it isn't your ship anymore. You must have fallen overboard, and so are washed ashore on a random deserted island (non-PK of course). Leading to...

So far it would be possible to leave people stranded on an island; if they are not on the ship when it leaves, and are not able to "set sail" themselves (by whatever measure is needed to allow this). Is this desirable or undesirable? Do we need a "way off" each island for ol'Ben Gunn? Rafts without navigation (sailing just requiring some "stuff" from the island?).

...and so on...

Edited by trollson

I love this idea! Maybe it's partly because I love pirates....... lol anyways, I think it could work if when your guild gets on the boat, there is a certain spot for the captain (driver) to stand so that when they set sail, whoever is in that location would control the boat. While traveling, the boat could appear small (like an icon or small 3D model) and when you confront another ship to fight, the full sized map of the ship comes up again for the battle.

lol i agree, this is a really kool idea, could do with some tweaking, etc. but overall i like it. :P

btw about capturing an already occupied island, ive suggested something similar to map control awhile back: a player from another guild just has to travel to the island, go talk to an NPC (can even be the storage NPC on the island) and set a time/date that they will be attacking the island(or an automatic date culd be set by NPC?) and then the guild who owns the island will be pre-warned and know when to defend their island (takes away the element of surpise i know... but maybe if the warning is just 30minutes before the the attack it could work?) anyways good thinking blodoks :)

What about guildless people? Can they own/steal/enter other islands?

btw about capturing an already occupied island, ive suggested something similar to map control awhile back: a player from another guild just has to travel to the island, go talk to an NPC (can even be the storage NPC on the island) and set a time/date that they will be attacking the island(or an automatic date culd be set by NPC?) and then the guild who owns the island will be pre-warned and know when to defend their island (takes away the element of surpise i know... but maybe if the warning is just 30minutes before the the attack it could work?) anyways good thinking blodoks :)

Some of us have RL jobs, and this'd be rather annoying - the attack could be amidst a workday. We are also spread between different time zones, so having a guild island attack 4AM before workday wouldn't be that great.

Today is "talk like a pirate" day.