Eternal Lands Official Forums
Tico

Weird CPU usage since last week

Ok here is the problem...

I didnt made any change in my hardware or got any othe rsoftware installed, but in the last week my CPU usage is hitting 100% when im running EL...

Was there any change in video settings or something that might be causing it???

Can my DNS provider somehow have a influence on this weird CPU usage?

In past i have never had this problem and no new clkient releases were made, i was running the last version without problems... but something is causing this weird CPU usage.

If anyone have a clue on what might be happening and what can be made to solve something like that please lemme know!

Tnx

I have seen a wired CPU usage too, mostly after being disconnected and then reconnect to the server by pressing a key.

I cant reproduce it, coz i cant cause a grue, but thats one of my problems. Terminating the client then and restarting it again, helps for me.

Is that your problem too?

Piper

Not realy... its something constant now... i can only reduce my cpu usage using map or F1 views in game... on usual video image the CPU usage gets constantly in 90-100%

----edit

not always 90% 100 % i get it when im in a place with more ppl on screen

alone i was geeting 40 - 80 %

Edited by Tico

I get that almost consistently too, but that's easy to blame on my 368mb of RAM and 600mhz brain. You could have sucked up some evil-ware from the net that is draining your resources. Worth doing all the fixits and defrags. One thing I do is the free online evil finder at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ It removes more crud than anything else.

I also find shutting down any hidden background programs, even my firewall and anti-virus, but that is dangerous! When I do, I surf not!

This behaviour is totally expected. EL has always taken ~100% CPU usage when in game-mode (that is, non-console view).

Only if you don't limit your FPS. EL normally takes no more than 10% CPU for me.

This behaviour is totally expected. EL has always taken ~100% CPU usage when in game-mode (that is, non-console view).

Only if you don't limit your FPS. EL normally takes no more than 10% CPU for me.

Without FPS limitting, the EL client will try to use as much CPU & GPU as it can. People with a fast GPU compared to their settings, will often see EL using a lot of CPU. Being able to limit CPU usage or GPU overheating are the reasons why FPS limitting were added.

Ok here is what i got.

I tryed the scan but nothing was found... then i limited the FPS and i had a small reduction on CPU usage, but still got a high laggy effect...

So i tryed out to disable some advanced video settings:

Mipmaps

Compiled Vertex array

Vertex Buffer

Point Particle.

My choice waqs random... but i t worked, i had a significant impact on my CPU usage from 90-100% to 40-60% and the lag was gone.

I think ill need new video card soon :hiya:

I'm hoping some more RAM may help mine, I can hold another 160mgs or so. A good FPS speedup is Isometric View in Video Settings, but it really crimps one's vista (makes me twist my neck out trying to see around the corners of my monitor :D ) Of course Full Screen takes a lot of juice, I can't use it at all.

Learner, please don't use the word "overheat!" Scares the gumrobies right outta me!! :) Lol!

*sizzle* :pinch: *pop* :)

Edited by Mugwump

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.