Eternal Lands Official Forums
Cyberwulf

I cant move after Teleport nexus from dung in evtr

Hi,

I cant move after Teleport nexus from dung in evtr to coor 279 267 here the srceens: :)

evtrBug119b167_thumb.jpgevtrBug12ec197_thumb.jpg

Big thx to melisande, she trade me essies to beam out there :confused::)

Out of interest, map bugs (which this is) have their own map bugs thread so the map makers can find them all. I've copied your post over to that thread.

Right now this is more a feature than a bug.

If you got stuck somewhere, you should be able to #beam me. If youre one of the scotty killers, you should have *ALWAYS* essences for TPTR or a teleport ring with you.

Remember, the scotty died perk is a *NEGATIVE* perk, you get free pickpoints and should expect something bad in exchange. Which is, that you cant #beam me when youre stuck somewhere.

Moderators will free you one time and give you this informations.

After that, you could free yourself by using the #suicide command or just have essences or a ring with you.

Or have a friend or guildie to give you essences or a ring.

If not, bad luck then, and seriously, your problem :happy:

Piper

Out of interest, map bugs (which this is) have their own map bugs thread so the map makers can find them all. I've copied your post over to that thread.

Sorry and thx, i dont see the own map Bug thread, sorry sorry pls dont Kill me :P

Thx Piper too for the info! :(

Maybe it could be transformed into a deliberate feature, for example "While harvesting, you have fallen deep in shit dung and can't move" :) would add some spice to Scotty perk

*bump*

Text that absolutely NEEDS to be on the Scotty Perk page in the Encyclopedia: "Besides that this will mean no more free trips to IP, you will also be held responsible for bugs that you can't control, but the mods call a feature (just like Microsoft)." This is something that couldn't possibly be foreseen by anyone, yet it happens and there's no mention that it can happen.

I thought people had learned not to call bugs features from all the stupidity Microsoft has pulled over the years. Tell me I didn't read such a line above...

*bump*

Text that absolutely NEEDS to be on the Scotty Perk page in the Encyclopedia: "Besides that this will mean no more free trips to IP, you will also be held responsible for bugs that you can't control, but the mods call a feature (just like Microsoft)." This is something that couldn't possibly be foreseen by anyone, yet it happens and there's no mention that it can happen.

I thought people had learned not to call bugs features from all the stupidity Microsoft has pulled over the years. Tell me I didn't read such a line above...

#beam me up was created for the exact purpose of escaping from map bugs. The feature is that you were given this tool in the first place to help you in these situations. There are bunches of threads in forums on this very issue. (Not even to mention that you are yet another person who expects your negative perk to be free pickpoints).

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...hl=scotty++died

There are more but you get the point.

#beam me up was created for the exact purpose of escaping from map bugs.

Both the Text Commands and Encyclopedia Perk page give no information of such nature. Both indicate that it's just a free trip to IP. Which leads the user to believe that once you've reached the point of teleporting or making IP rings, its only value is nullified. To us, the players, it looks like nothing more than a newbie's introduction to teleporting, to be forgotten about once you can really teleport. That you'd have to escape from bad coding using it never crosses the normal user's mind.

If it's being used as a scapegoat for bugs, such info should actually be available to the user without them having to search for it here when they don't even know to search for it before it's too late.

So what I stated stands. Such info needs to be IN PRINT so the user knows that's what it's being used for. Not once in quite a long time playing had I heard such a thing, that users were to be screwed over when they did what is essentially free debugging.

I'm not complaining that I got stuck in one of these bugs. I'm complaining that this information wasn't made available in the first place. I regularly have teleport essies on me when going places I know I'll need them, but until today it never crossed my mind that I'd have to escape from somewhere my character should never have been able to go in the first place. And it's quite ridiculous that such a thing can happen, the user is expected to deal with it when it does, but NOT ONCE does it state this in any of the documentation.

Giving that whole "free pickpoints" speech when I and others took the perk based on the available information is incredibly condescending. Bite your tongue. Hard. "Class, you're having a pop quiz today! It's on information I haven't given you yet!"

Edited by GoodDay2Die

I disagree. The information IS out there. You couldn't be bothered to read it. Forums are an integral part of EL, as you WELL know since you use them frequently to enhance your ingame buying/selling experience.

The why of why #beam me was installed 5+ years ago REALLY isn't important in the description of what it does (in the encyclopedia).

And as always, why did you think it was a negative perk? Or did you think it just was for the newbies? It is not our fault you quickly grabbed without research what you saw as free pickpoints. Come ON.

Quickly grabbed? On deciding I want a perk, positive or negative, after my newbie days, I forced myself to wait a week to play the game as if I already had that perk on deciding I might take it. Anti? Played a week without speaking to NPCs. Scotty's Dead? One week without #beam me. (I had to walk to IP or use a ring I just made.)

Before I took it, I even asked on channel 2 about it. Got a moderator responding when I asked about it. Not once was "Hey, there's bugs where you'll get trapped in places your character never should be able to go in the first place" mentioned. I even specifically asked if it was really that simple, just being forced to walk or use a ring to get to IP (wasn't teleporting yet at the time).

Reset yesterday, Scotty became the only perk taken because even then I had no clue to search for bugs being a reason for the command. As stated, I still thought it was more of a newbie's introduction to teleporting.

You're a long-timer, you've forgotten that what's common knowledge to you can be completely lost in the void of a forum to players who haven't been around as long. There's way too many forums and threads here now for you to expect someone to have dragged up something that's been long-buried on a forum, to find something they didn't even have a clue to look for in the first place. People rely on real documentation... the Text Command page, the Perk page.

If, as you say, that is the original purpose of #beam me, it should say that in the documentation. It doesn't take a professional copywriter to figure that out, just simple common sense. Leaving it hidden in ancient forum posts and expecting people to find it (when they don't even know to look for it) is the ultimate in poor documentation.

What in the world could possibly be the driving force behind being so vehemently against actually documenting the actual purpose of a command?

And again, as far as actual documentation (and come on, you people have to have been online long enough to know that ancient hidden forum threads do not even remotely constitute documentation) is concerned, the ONLY thing anyone knows that is negative about that perk is that you no longer get a free ride to the wraith, you have to pay for it in essies/rings.

That's the impression the documentation gives. The ONLY impression. I'm finding it incredibly sad that you expect people to know that it's to get around bugs yet are so vehemently against actually documenting that fact.

Your documentation does not even remotely come close to stating what you are stating here. You keep pushing that I'm complaining about the perk itself. I'm complaining about what is a blatantly nasty yet intentionally left out part of that command's primary purpose.

Not sure where you get vehemently opposed to including it in the encyclopedia. There are probably many reasons it's not there, mainly that there is limited space and when that was made, there was no reason to include it.

I have not argued that it should or should not be in there at all.

If you have played that very long time you say you have (3 months?), it shouldn't be a hardship to bring a ring or two, or some essences along with you at all times KNOWING you took this NEGATIVE perk that by rights should have something bad about it somewhere. That is just common sense. There is no free ride, no free pp's. As the saying goes..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

I would also like to point out that every player will be helped by a mod the first time, and also will be given advice that if they took the scotty died perk they must carry rings and/or essences around from that point on. They are also told why.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Sure there are bugs, sure bugs are not supposed to be here by definition. Nobody is saying they are. We are constantly trying to fix them. There are only so many people hearing everybody's opinion on what the most important thing to fix is. There will always be bugs in a game, there is no game out there without them. We are constantly adding new things and trying to fix old things, so a tool was made to get around that problem. #beam me up is not a scapegoat to justify them, but a tool to help us deal with them until they got fixed.

Maybe you can show us your professional perfectly documented bug-free game so that we can learn from it.

Edit: to clarify a statement

On the special day where Scotty takes his pet cat to the vet then, everyone in EL needs to carry tele rings/essies with them at all times as we all effectively have the neg. perk w/o the PPs at that point. Is this correct? These instances of getting stuck in map bugs are not that common, are they?

On the special day where Scotty takes his pet cat to the vet then, everyone in EL needs to carry tele rings/essies with them at all times as we all effectively have the neg. perk w/o the PPs at that point. Is this correct? These instances of getting stuck in map bugs are not that common, are they?

Having one tele ring or a handful of tele essies always with you, wont hurt that much.

And no, getting stuck doesnt happen that often, or you must be really unlucky or harvest at a place with a lot of map bugs.

Piper

And no, getting stuck doesnt happen that often, or you must be really unlucky or harvest at a place with a lot of map bugs.

Or keep going back to the same place :)

If it's added to the encyclopedia, for the Scotty Died description, that if you get stuck in map bugs you may have to take measures as drastic as #suicide to get out... will it crash the server?

will it double the game's system requirements? or hugely increase the download size of the client?

will it take hours and hours of work to update the description?

will it bring about the apocalypse?!?

ffs. someone just modify the damn description of the perk.

EDIT:

Not sure where you get vehemently opposed to including it in the encyclopedia. There are probably many reasons it's not there, mainly that there is limited space...

Seems there's plenty of space for a short comment in the description for the perk. i can modify my client's encyc .xml's and show how easy it'd be to do, if it'd help. ;p

EDIT2:

fixed_sd_encyc.jpg

Here's the XML:

http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/stuff/Perks.xml

Now an Encyclopedia maintainer just needs to add it to their repo so it goes in next client.

I remain ever bewildered that things as simple as this, that take just a few minutes, that would benefit some and hurt none, don't just get done when they're first suggested.

Edited by Korrode

...especially since game officials will not provide assistance if you happen to get caught in a map bug.

omg get off your soapbox.

You ARE provided assistance by being given the command #beam me up.

(Not to mention that we DO assist when somebody has a problem by going to them, helping them, and then explaining that since they took the perk they will need to carry essies and/or rings from now on. It's the repeat customers who are the problem, not the first timers who DO get assistance and a reminder they did take a negative perk and that is one of the costs (having to carry essies and rings).)

Now an Encyclopedia maintainer just needs to add it to their repo so it goes in next client.

As you have shown it is a very simple change.

I may or may not have said this already (I think I did but maybe I only thought it... haven't bothered to check), but the problem isn't so much the change as the Encyc team seeing the request, and therefore I suggest that if someone wants something changed in the Encyc then they post in the Encyc forum section. (Not talking to you specifically Korrode, but all the others debating this topic).

I'm not debating the validity of putting a message into the perk description, although I would think the word and classification of "NEGATIVE" should kinda be a give-away :whistle: I would however debate the validity of korrode's wording of it.

I am not sure though that roja or ent wants a description in it to this effect, since:

1. This complaint has come up a lot and neither have put a description in to this point (and both are aware of the "controversy").

2. People DO get help and advice and warnings, and the bugs DO get fixed as quickly and as well as possible.

Once again, just because people thought they would get some nice easy pickpoints and are now disappointed, is not our problem imo. Do we need to spell out every single BAD thing for each and every negative perk in the encyclopedia for people who do not understand the definition of negative?

Wow, can't believe I'm actually reading this.

Why make a big discussion out of it when a simple and sane solution exists? The encyclopaedia could be changed to "Better keeping a ring in inventory at all times... you never know when you might get stuck or need a fast exit."

There's nothing wrong with adding a line in the encyclopedia and I've never been against that. Why hasn't it gotten there already? Well there's so many things to do with this game that many things get forgotten about, or pushed aside, or not brought to attention, or this or that...it's very hard to keep up with everything.

Anyway, if you guys want it there please write up something reasonable and post about it in the encyclopedia forum. That way Theryndan will see it, or whoever will be updating the encyc. when the time comes.

but the problem isn't so much the change as the Encyc team seeing the request, and therefore I suggest that if someone wants something changed in the Encyc then they post in the Encyc forum section. (Not talking to you specifically Korrode, but all the others debating this topic).
Anyway, if you guys want it there please write up something reasonable and post about it in the encyclopedia forum. That way Theryndan will see it, or whoever will be updating the encyc. when the time comes.

Well, i did already... ~1.5 years ago.

I'd say the reason Theryndan/whoever didn't include it in the encyclopedia back then is because game officials appeared opposed to the idea.

...so, i'll just bump my old thread with a link to this thread then...?

...especially since game officials will not provide assistance if you happen to get caught in a map bug.

omg get off your soapbox.

You ARE provided assistance by being given the command #beam me up.

Assistance of which disappears if you take this perk.

Your apparent expectation that people will magically know that a key point of the #beam me command is to get people out of map bugs is unreasonable. It certainly wasn't immediately apparent to me when i started EL, and i'm a long time gamer.

(Not to mention that we DO assist when somebody has a problem by going to them, helping them, and then explaining that since they took the perk they will need to carry essies and/or rings from now on.)

Yes, so AFTER they've ALREADY taken the perk they are presented with previously unapparent details of the consequences.

Once again, just because people thought they would get some nice easy pickpoints and are now disappointed, is not our problem imo. Do we need to spell out every single BAD thing for each and every negative perk in the encyclopedia for people who do not understand the definition of negative?

Of course you don't need to spell out specific details of every single possible negative, but the information we're talking about here is general, key details about a perk... people should at least be provided with information about what they're getting themselves into when they take a negative perk. I agree it's supposed to be a negative perk that has negative effects, but how does that translate into not giving people details about the negative effect that will be felt?

I'm not debating the validity of putting a message into the perk description, although I would think the word and classification of "NEGATIVE" should kinda be a give-away :confused: I would however debate the validity of korrode's wording of it.

kk that's fine.

Your alternate suggestion for wording would be appreciated.

I fail to see how:

No more beaming up. Better keeping a ring in inventory from now on

isn't explanatory.

*shrugs*

The only problem I see is bad english. :confused: