Eternal Lands Official Forums
LilBear

Now that Astrology is implemented...

Heh. I have to say I agree with LuciferX....except I can understand where the night vision thing was a good idea.....It helped people decide to not be all brawn and no brain.

Heh. I am surprised Entropy didn't censor himself and say "f*ck".

I imagine a full reset would get rid of the perk too. Am I right?

I will probably opt out of this thing via the perk because I like to know where I stand and not have cursed moments. Some things should be complex and some things should not....I don't think it knowing your chances of something should be complex.

I do belive the Perk will not disapear after a reset. If I understood correctly. I think it brings a positive aspect to the game play. Will take a little more planning. Though a lot of people plan already for the "good" special days. And prepare themselves for the "bad" days ie recyling day and no harvest day for 2 examples. Smart players will use this to thier advantage. While other players like me will be out of luck. I rarely plan far enough ahead as it is. The very least, we can give it a fiar shake.

Jumpy

ok after a few days of playing with teh astro system I came to the following conclusions :

most of all it is different from how I used to play. I used to come on and picked something to do and just did that. now I check my sign first and adapt to that. ( I can live with that makes the game more versatile )

second of all I reset and its a bit harder to get my oa up atm because I can't train at all times. for me I mostly have positive atributes in the evening for me wich is cool since I mainly play in the evening. but I reckon that changes over time. so : when I have positive skills I mostly train as much as I can. but when I get negative effects I harvest. since the events are a lot less I can gather a lot more resources without it costing me tons of pickaxes and he's. (won't get me any stones fast but I prefer resources) also I mix essences that don't have an enriched version during that time.

in my opinion this way I can *optimize* my time with the astro system. might not be able to train all day. but now I am *forced* to do different skills aswell wich I actually like quite well. it isn't that bad to sometimes stop training and do something else for a change. (offcourse I am not a top 50 A/D guy and I dont have to train 24/7 to stay there... even if I was tho I still would do this)

I think the astro system is quite cool if you adapt to it and learn how to apply it. altho it might need some fine tuning.

people will adapt to it eventually if not they will quit ( thats up to them ) but this situation is simular to when CD got implemented... and after a few months people don't even complain about it anymore.

I say really nice idea entropy. keep them coming :(

my opinion!

Hyperion

At first, I was unsure about this - now I love it....

You are now guided by the stars to do what is best for you at any given time... If you chose to ignore, then it is at your own risk.

As has been pointed out - there always seemed to be a chance thing out there (Ent hinted at this on making Enr esses) , just you never knew when, now you do.

On Friday, I ignored the stars and harvested, despite increased events.... Cost me a fortune in picks, but that was the decision I made.

It is unfortunate that never again will there be a true fight between top characters in game, unless there was a special 'no astrology' day.

I have noticed that it does seem that at some times, all stats are good, at others all bad... I assume that given time, it will get to be such that at any given time, some stat or other will be good pretty much all the time.

My main issue is with new players, at low levels, is the effect minimised so as to be unnoticeable - otherwise, it is yet another confusing thing for new players, which may reduce the number of new players.

I certainly will not be taking a no astrology perk....

i just have a lot of questions about this..

did i rightly hear somewhere that the cycle is 16 hours long? why are people complaining about that being out of sync with their 24 hour rl days?

does every planet have the same orbit time? so you always get teh same combinations of 'good' and 'bad' bonuses (say for instance you never get +magic at the same time as +a/d)

if the above answer is yes, then isnt that unfair, if the signs are different?*** (some might give +magic and +a/d at the same time, others dont)

***are the signs in fact different, or just the same, shifted by 80 minutes? if the same.. i trust it was carefully designed (to allow a bit of harvest here, bit of training there, and some mixing for desert) and dont have any worries about astronomy :)

i hear from a friend she has 18 magic but sometimes thats modified to 11, which seems extreme to me. +/-2 (at her level) would be better imo.. if things like that are gonna get creased out then i really look forward to this astronomy when im back :confused:

I'm still experimenting to get a feel for the system, but so far it doesn't seem to have a big impact unless you are at the extremes of the modifiers. Just like Zamirah stated, if I didn't know it was there, I'd attribute the non-maxed modifier effects to the whim of the Random Number God and think nothing more of it.

The only modifier so far that seems to have a big impact is the Harvesting modifier, but that could be because I was at the ends of the modifier range. I'm still trying to get a feel for that one.

if youre forum sig matches youre ingame name u are rank 19,040 in attack and 22,000 in defense ..you shouldnt even begiun to compare the affects that this system has on someone with 130+ attack level to youreself...

at that point ONE level they earn is more then youre total oa exp and when they loose 10 attack levels due to the system(mabye its less now) i can understand why they are upset and when their degrade rate is way negative and they break an armour thats worth more then youre entire storage i understand their pain..

Welll...but when its anyway same for all.Where are you going anyway here?

You want to kill 70 dragons every ducking day forever..and soon even more..

For me it sounds very boring as now killing thousands of feroses on and on.Hell boring if wont have any challenge other than just get next level..

Its unbelievable for me that someones can playn same way every hour and maybe as I have understood 16 hours a day..OMG

For me one hour training is like a record...except if I get double or triple feros..until someone comes and "its miiine"..:happy:

Always here will be different type of players.Some like it simple and easy to control.Some need more challence though i admit it can be bit frustrating also when have to reset 3 times in a row to get enough good stats to go on..

Im type who just cant box with same one months 24/7 but if astrology would make it possible to have some variants as train bad days with feros and good days get beaten by yeti after book read..then there would be something to avoid getting totaly bored..;)

And I have began to feel that as DEF is the only bonus which helps defence side ...its maybe is stronger than ATT..as there is also acc,hit,damage. It could explain why I could avoid yeti hits so well with about +12 def as with negative bonus couldnt avoid really at all.And as reaction was worth maybe 40 coord...without book...it was my chance.Not read all things here and havent understood if it only gives def skill++..or maybe skill and def attribute..at least..and well..not also always so sure about real difference of them either(def skill and attribute).

But anyway...maybe I just have to wait until there will be other ways to multitrain than those pvp summon parties. I just want to see one day 10 feros around me :P

And yes....with 134 def the bonus would be +12 about..

another 7 gc ;)

hey all,

You know..I have been reading, talking to ppl about this astrology thing..and you know what?

I dont understand one bit of it..and you know another thing?

I dont realy give a hoots about that..:P

The thing is..as in real life..alot is..determined by the stars, the moon, the tide..events, ppls moods..alot..

There's not much you can about that..and thats how I see it here..

I just take the days as they come..and hide under the covers with a box of chocolate when the stars are in a bad number..just as in real life..:)

This is my World, and good and bad thing come and go..as they do in every World :)

Jez

The thing is..as in real life..

Hey yea! Let's make the game as close to real life as possible!

Make it so you have to sleep 8 hours game time (time when you aren't logged in won't count). Don't sleep long enough, you die.

Make it so you HAVE to eat. Food level hits max neg, you die.

Make the gc about 2 emu. In RL they have weight.

Ohh and you only get 1 life, like in RL. You die, your char gets deleted.

Sure sounds fun to me!

And, for the most part, I agree with Luci.

Just my 2 cents tho, and my 2 cents doesn't matter.

This is my World, and good and bad thing come and go..as they do in every World :)

Jez

yeah..what goes up comes soon down.Thats actually about the only thing I understand for now.

And with that #da command its now possible to see even that. But how then when there will be no commands..only "stones"..:P

Maybe would be challenge for some story teller to write some stories about those planets or whatever are behind these astrology things giving that way some hints. Now can only assume and suppose and guess...

It was told that this #da gives info about planets...so..does it maybe mean that there is one planet for every those "bonus" things. And sooner or later the positions of those planets will make every bonus go different direction. Then it can be so complex that maybe there is a chance for some clever players to begin to sell astrology services.Individual planet chart for next maybe 2 weeks. Maybe there will be wandering soon sibyls on Eternal lands..or how are those fortunetellers called-:pppp

Make it so you have to sleep 8 hours game time (time when you aren't logged in won't count). Don't sleep long enough, you die.

Sure sounds fun to me!

lololol so pr0 :P

jeze... this is not RL :)

Sure sounds fun to me!

loooool youre my hero stroker :P

Ok, excellent.

I need a few more people that agree with him (luci), and I am all set :)

So, who else agrees with them?

alot of people seem to agree with luci and curious people are well umm curious what are you going to be all set to do?

also alot of people agree with luci but wont post

Edited by mufossa

Ok, well, since a lot of people agree with Luci's points, I decided not to implement the no astrology perk, because people will still complain about the game even with that perk. So it will be easier for me.

Ok, well, since a lot of people agree with Luci's points, I decided not to implement the no astrology perk, because people will still complain about the game even with that perk. So it will be easier for me.

so in a nut shell.....since most people agree with luci that they DONT like astroglogy, you are going to respond to that by NOT adding the perk that will free them from this system they dislike... :bow_arrow:

i fail to see how this will help, please edjucate me, i dont want to jump to any conclusions

Edited by mufossa

Fine, i love the astrology system as it is right now and i would hate it, if there would be a perk which gets you rid of the influences of the astrology system.

It adds a little bit more random to everything, you cant only look at your levels/stats and calculate how some things will happen and rely on it.

But maybe an expensive medallion would be nice, which has a *chance* to get rid of the astrology effects. That might be a nice source of income for crafters and even add more variations to the game.

We have meds to get rid of the trouble of hellspawn perk, we have stones to get rid of failures while making stuff, so a med with a *chance* to get rid of astrology influences would fit somehow IMO.

Experiences with the astrology system? Lots of broken pickaxes, some really nasty fights, but that happended before to me too, so i wont blame the astrology system for it.

Its nice at it is right now IMO.

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

Fine, i love the astrology system as it is right now and i would hate it, if there would be a perk which gets you rid of the influences of the astrology system.

Piper

good for you that you enjoy it, but what is it to you if someone who dosent enjoy it as much wants to remove it?

It adds a little bit more random to everything, you cant only look at your levels/stats and calculate how some things will happen and rely on it.

this game is random enough already imo, it dosent hurt to have a few things u can count on

But maybe an expensive medallion would be nice, which has a *chance* to get rid of the astrology effects. That might be a nice source of income for crafters and even add more variations to the game.

i wont even bother to comment on this

We have meds to get rid of the trouble of hellspawn perk, we have stones to get rid of failures while making stuff, so a med with a *chance* to get rid of astrology influences would fit somehow IMO.

we have perks to make you eat bones and perks that keep youre items from degrading and well you get the idea so i think and astrology removal perk fits in some how

Experiences with the astrology system? Lots of broken pickaxes, some really nasty fights, but that happended before to me too, so i wont blame the astrology system for it.

fair enough , but i would rather take my chances w/o astrology!!

people used to do w/e they wanted to do, now people have to revolve around negative affects making the game more strategic yes, but the lack of creative freedom makes it less fun imo,

i would rather log on and say "what do I want to do today, NOT whats best for me to do today, so far everytime i log on and check ,my stats are well NOT good, i have yet to see some stats that made me say wow cool, as i expected so far more negative then good..sorry if this seems flame , that isnt my intention , im just posting how i feel as a direct result of the affect this system has had on my gaming experience....<//~~thats my opinion

Edited by mufossa

Ok, well, since a lot of people agree with Luci's points, I decided not to implement the no astrology perk, because people will still complain about the game even with that perk. ...

;)

Would someone please be so kind as to explain the logic here because I don't get it.

people used to do w/e they wanted to do, now people have to revolve around negative affects making the game more strategic yes, but the lack of creative freedom makes it less fun imo,

i would rather log on and say "what do I want to do today, NOT whats best for me to do today

You really don't have to play according to what your astrology stats are, I log in and do whatever I feel like doing, half the time oblivious to what #da would tell me ;) . You don't have to let it govern you're ingame actions, anymore than you would let luck govern what you did each day.

Maybe what you feel like doing isn't what your stats say is best, but who gives a damn? It affects you some, but not enough for you to go to do something boring instead in my opinion. So maybe today your break rate is higher, well stuff breaks anyway no matter what the stars say.

Despite that though, I do think the option of a perk to remove the effects of astrology on you was a good idea. Some people just won't like it no matter what, and if its only removable by an expensive cash fee, then people will think about it plenty before taking it.

As for a medallion, it sounds interesting. But how do you incorperate a chance factor of it removing your astrology? Hellspawn only happens when you change maps, so a heavenspawn medallion has a chance to work then. Saving stones work when you're mixing. But astrology is a constant thing thats always happening.

Would someone please be so kind as to explain the logic here because I don't get it.

IMHO as a empathetic developer

Because people will complain about any new thing added to the game. "Omg thats not fair, I can't afford the

perk", "I took the perk and got pwn by someone who didn't and can't afford to remove", etc...

Best thing to do when making core engine changes its to not tell anyone. And only announce

Happy Fun new content like "costumes" and monsters. The masses hate change and trying

to appeal to the masses ends up being a losing affair. People that love the game will play and those

pr0 complainers will leave. C'est ca la vie

Maybe one way to placate to the change complainers

is a new content voting. I know voting goes bad, but a vote without comments, vote a or b and winner is

added. I know, people will still bitch about it anyway.

;)

geez, there are all sort of spells and potions and medallions and different armors/weapons and such to even out the effects of astrology, what's the big deal? It adds alot to the game. Players got a bunch of points by building their character "just so". Now it is harder to get the bunch of points, you actually have to play the game. I hope the formula remains a secret and you all get slapped with the "bitch tax"

so in a nut shell.....since most people agree with luci that they DONT like astroglogy, you are going to respond to that by NOT adding the perk that will free them from this system they dislike... ;)

i fail to see how this will help, please edjucate me, i dont want to jump to any conclusions

Well, you and others claimed that you AGREED with Lucifer's post. Did you read his post? If you do, you will see that what I am doing is to make you guys less unhappy, by adressing one of the problems he mentioned (about the perk).