Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EvilJoe

Giving away 100kgc

EDIT: It's over and Cadoras has been decided as the winner.

Hi, I'm offering 100kgc to a random person who trades with Miria today, lasts until 10pm Central time (GMT -6). I'll check the bot logs at 10pm and pick a random person who traded with her, winner will be posted on this thread.

If you can't see Miria, you may have a problem that happens to some people with unofficial maps like Ranger's maps. In that case you need to update your maps-

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR MAPS:

1) Make a backup of your maps folder (usually this is C:\program files\eternal lands\maps, if you have windows)

2) Download these maps: http://files-upload.com/files/460337/maps.zip

3) Extract the new maps into your maps folder, and overwrite the old ones with the ones in this ZIP

If that doesn't work, you can try reinstalling EL, and then reinstalling your ranger's maps.

If you have any problems, please let me know.

Thanks very much,

-EJ

Some disclaimers about unofficial maps:

* The maps I put a link to are from the official client and I've been told by a mod that there's no problem with the ZIP file. They are .elm files so they won't (as far as i know) mess up your ranger's maps, or any of your #marked locations

* EL staff's policy as I have been told is that unofficial maps are unsupported, and any problems resulting from them can get you banned under the rule of bothering mods. So please do not bother them about this, and consider switching to official maps.

* I'm not trying to request help from mods regarding this problem either. Radu has already wasted some of his time looking into this issue and it's not my intention to cause any more hassle for the mods. From what I can gather the problem is related to people accidentally overwriting their up-to-date client maps with maps (.elm files) before the last client update.

Edited by EvilJoe

Do more trades mean more chances?

also, is there a threshold? like must do at least 1k in gc value of trades?

Thx for doing this! it's great!

Is it general trades or only purchases (I just sold her a COL)

Edited by LabRat

All you have to do is trade (either buy or sell), and the size or frequency of the trades don't matter.

Of course, there are those who just sell one steel bar to her or something. Well, I don't want to force people to trade with my bot so I guess that's fine, at least it gets more people trading with her, and if there are any others who have the ranger's map problem I can find out about it.

The way the winner will be selected is, I'll check the bot's logs to see who are all the people who traded with her, then I'll order all the names 1, 2, 3, etc, then I'll use a random number generator to pick one.

I'm helping my brother move in to college today so unfortunately I won't be around for much of the day but I'll be back hopefully a little before the closing time. If you need anything, you can send me a Gossip msg or forum PM

Edited by EvilJoe

I'd just like to get a few facts straight here.

As far as I can see, the main reason Miria cannot be seen is because players are using outdated or illegal/modified map (.elm) files. The minimaps (or tab-map, or what ever you call them), or in other words, the .bmp files located in your "Maps" folder would not affect being and not being able to see players/bots in anyway. If you cannot see Miria, or if you suddenly fall ten meters below the ground while walking in-game (which means your maps differ from the server's) means that you are using outdated or illegal/modified .elm files, or have downloaded a map-pack that contain these files.

As of now, using outdated or illegal unofficial map (.elm) files that have been altered from the official versions is officially ILLEGAL.

5. Do not cheat.

Cheating in the game means using illegal clients, outdated or illegal unofficial map(.elm) files that have been altered from the official versions, unregistered and/or unapproved bots, macroing, automating, scripting, exploiting bugs, muling, or any other form of illegal multi-playing*.

To use a bot, it must be registered and approved; it must adhere to the rules of the client's license and all your code must be open source. If you find a bug in the game, you must tell the owners of Eternal Lands immediately.

(See: Eternal Lands In-Game Rules)

If you are a player who uses unofficial .bmp (minimap) files, please keep in mind that they are unofficial and are not supported by Eternal Lands or its staff in any way. Bugs reported to us because of these files may result in punishments (we devote our time and go to the locations reported to us to find not the slightest hint of a bug, and it can get annoying).

When we release client updates, players are usually advised to install a clean/fresh version of the client. When doing so, players tend to backup their old .bmp (minimap) files and paste them into the "Maps" directory in their new client. But some players copy the whole folder (or everything inside it) ALONG WITH the old .elm files. This is where most players go wrong, please be careful.

When copying your maps from old clients to the newly released ones make sure you ONLY copy the .bmp files. Not doing so may get you in trouble.

For those who manually alter the official maps and distribute them or use them for themselves, I'd suggest you stop immediately =)

Altering maps to suit your liking is considered cheating and against the rules, because it helps you gain benefits other players don not have.

If you are having troubles with maps (ie. not being able to see players/bots) I'd suggest completely uninstalling the EL client and installing a fresh version of the latest one released.

If that doesn't help you, you can post in this thread or contact me via PM in-game or forums and we'll try to help (or ban :P).

This post is not posted with any intention of demoting Ranger's maps.

- Sistema.

Edited by Sistema

hmm, never thought twice about this, but are the map packs located on the CEL site part of these outdated/illegal shananagins?

Don't mix up map files (.elm) with the bitmap images (minimaps) shown when you press the tab key.

The map-packs hosted on the CEL site are .bmp files and are not illegal to use, but are not supported by us either.

When new clients are released, the map files (not minimaps) are usually updated; new areas are added to the map. When using old/outdated 'bmp' files (ones that were made before the update) pressing tab won't show you these new areas, but you would still be able to see and access these places in the game.

- Sistema.

Edited by Sistema

Thanks very much for the official word on the map situation Sistema, that makes it a lot more clear.

I hope that people will take the time to update their maps as a result of this thread :P Even if you don't care about being able to trade with Miria, having outdated maps could cause problems for you and on top of that it is illegal, even if you aren't intentionally trying to cheat!

Anyway enough about the maps, you all are wondering who won the money... Well too bad, still a bit under 2 hours left so keep on trading! :D *evil* When time is up I'll announce the winner on this thread and send him/her a PM. If you're not online at the time, I'll hold it for you until you're available.

OK it's over :D The winner is Cadoras.

Thanks to everyone for playing. There were about 100 people who played, I was a bit worried one person would ruin it by making 10 alts, but I recognized almost all of the names of people who traded with Miria so it looks like it was a fair game.

-EJ

Edited by EvilJoe

Congradulations to both you and Cadoras, Eviljoe :P

When did you get a bot? Never knew :D

Thanks Lexi :P Ya had Miria for a bit over a week i think.

Hey KissOfDeath, I didn't save the text file which had everyone's place number written down, sorry. I do recall Cadoras was #4 on the list (out of 97), but it doesn't mean the people in spots #3 or #5 were any closer to winning since it was a random draw :P Anyway, I imagine it'd only make them feel bad to say "hey, you were just one spot off from winning!"

Anyway, I delivered the 100kgc this morning. This was fun ;) He was a good sport and gave me permission to post his reaction:

[06:23:59] [PM to Cadoras: heya, are you around?]

[06:24:04] [PM from Cadoras: hi..?]

[06:24:16] [PM to Cadoras: did you know about the 100kgc contest yesterday?]

[06:24:27] [PM from Cadoras: uhm no.. y.. what u want?]

[06:24:45] [PM to Cadoras: oh, well you won 100kgc :P so i was gonna give it to you]

[06:24:56] [PM from Cadoras: -.-]

[06:25:12] [PM to Cadoras: where are you?]

[06:25:12] [PM from Cadoras: and how did i won?]

[06:25:17] [PM to Cadoras: here is the thread: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36721]

[06:25:36] [PM to Cadoras: you traded with the Miria bot yesterday right? i was running a contest that a random person who trades with miria would win 100kgc]

[06:25:52] [PM from Cadoras: lol smeg u serious?]

[06:26:01] [PM to Cadoras: read the thread :) i'm serious]

[06:26:04] [PM from Cadoras: uhm ima atm in arius at the gypsum]

[06:26:20] [PM to Cadoras: oh hehe okay, want to meet at arius sto in a few minutes?]

[06:26:30] [PM from Cadoras: if u want to come here.. yeah..]

[06:26:35] [PM to Cadoras: kk that's fine]

*I put 100kgc in trade window and he puts a bear summoning stone*

[06:31:54] [PM to Cadoras: hehe thanks :)]

[06:32:03] [PM from Cadoras: thx? u're sick lol]

[06:32:21] [PM from Cadoras: but uhm smeg big thx]

Edited by EvilJoe

Big thx to cadoras :P

I ask him, to sell a removal stone cause i didnt see miria too.

So he win the prize and give me the half.

He's a honorable guy :P