Eternal Lands Official Forums
bkc56

So how are they working now - Part 1

Guest Thaumiel

Imho I think a few more adverts throught a day would or could better help this. Since I am unsure how often presently it adverts. Maybe at most as stated by someone prior. 2 per hour may be a good idea. But then again, people complain about bots on market channel adverting as often as they do. And some are less often then the above mentioned. So maybe 1 per hr or two hrs would be a better idea.

Just need something that helps remind some of us, that tend to forget things easily.

Another idea is maybe increase the % that is put back into the total reward for the possible winner. Thus meaning bigger rewards for the same cost. Still though, even if it was 100 gc for a ticket. If 97% was placed into the winning award. The average long run profit for the owner at 3% would still make it worthy of doing. Since this is not based on a single sale, more less multiple sales. Over all the final reward to both the winner, and those that own the lottery in general. Are basically put, very happy campers.

Though a possible option would also be to restrict a winner to have the ability to win more then one time a month. To in a matter of speaking help others improve they're odds of winning.

Yet my final idea is maybe do all the above, and impliment yet another lottery for those that may be less fortunate. Irl there are $1.oo, $5.oo etc different costed lotteries. Maybe do something similar here. I'm not saying including 19 different lotteries and 19 different costs. Though another lottery that was half the cost of the current, that would pay a greater odd, yet yeild overall a lessor reward do to cost of ticket. May yet be another option.

Take life, collect souls, and eat the corpses - Thaumiel

Imho I think a few more adverts throught a day would or could better help this. Since I am unsure how often presently it adverts. Maybe at most as stated by someone prior. 2 per hour may be a good idea. But then again, people complain about bots on market channel adverting as often as they do. And some are less often then the above mentioned. So maybe 1 per hr or two hrs would be a better idea.

Just need something that helps remind some of us, that tend to forget things easily.

Another idea is maybe increase the % that is put back into the total reward for the possible winner. Thus meaning bigger rewards for the same cost. Still though, even if it was 100 gc for a ticket. If 97% was placed into the winning award. The average long run profit for the owner at 3% would still make it worthy of doing. Since this is not based on a single sale, more less multiple sales. Over all the final reward to both the winner, and those that own the lottery in general. Are basically put, very happy campers.

Though a possible option would also be to restrict a winner to have the ability to win more then one time a month. To in a matter of speaking help others improve they're odds of winning.

Yet my final idea is maybe do all the above, and impliment yet another lottery for those that may be less fortunate. Irl there are $1.oo, $5.oo etc different costed lotteries. Maybe do something similar here. I'm not saying including 19 different lotteries and 19 different costs. Though another lottery that was half the cost of the current, that would pay a greater odd, yet yeild overall a lessor reward do to cost of ticket. May yet be another option.

Take life, collect souls, and eat the corpses - Thaumiel

Welcome back Trojan_Knight :wub:

Put it in the taverns! haah! You kids got it too easy..you know when I was ur age I had to walk 150 steps all the way to Grahm's village to buy meself the lottery ticket...And sometimes I'd even have to take the ol' shippero! :wub:

Put it in the taverns! haah! You kids got it too easy..you know when I was ur age I had to walk 150 steps all the way to Grahm's village to buy meself the lottery ticket...And sometimes I'd even have to take the ol' shippero! :wub:

In your day there weren't even ships

Was there even a lottery in Roja's day? 0.o Man, she's old :wub:

Wait wait..I've gained my voice and got an ub0r suggestion!!!!!11 why don't we put ALL NPC's and all monsters around VOTD so we never have to move or go anywhere else! it'll be so convenient then! :doze:

...for those who don't GET IT...we put NPC's etc in different maps to give maps some FOCAL POINTS! Yes you need to walk! It's not going to change for you lazy asses out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGGHGHGHGHGHGHGH........... :P

Traveling is a part of the game. If you don't like it, well, then don't go.

That was the most perfect..uh.. 1 2... 3 paragraph statement EVER :):wub:

Wait wait..I've gained my voice and got an ub0r suggestion!!!!!11 why don't we put ALL NPC's and all monsters around VOTD so we never have to move or go anywhere else! it'll be so convenient then! :wub:

...for those who don't GET IT...we put NPC's etc in different maps to give maps some FOCAL POINTS! Yes you need to walk! It's not going to change for you lazy asses out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGGHGHGHGHGHGHGH........... :)

Traveling is a part of the game. If you don't like it, well, then don't go.

I think what springs to mind here is the term "out of sight out of mind" I think simply people were suggesting how to increase the popularity of this feature and certainly if you were brand new to the game, short of trawling through the forum the lottery isn't that well advertised.

From my personal perspective referring back to my comment above my suggestion wasn't because I'm lazy (i've never actually used the lottery as 5k is expensive for a noob like me) it's simply if you had one on C1 and one on C2 people MAY use it more, they may be inquisitive and speak to the NPC more, even just seeing the NPC may prompt people to think - Ahh I'll buy a ticket this week. (and yes of course there is the whole raft of players who look at themselves as "C2'ers" so this would solve those who are too lazy to travel back) I don't think a C2 and a C1 NPC is excessive.

Of course other people have made other suggestion which may achieve the same aim - regular global announcements to buy tickets etc.

Edited by neildog

Where are the details on the lottery? I have been playing a bit but never really found out.

And yeah, why not just sell tickets at all the general stores like real-life lottery?

* Trying to imagine Entropy and Roja running Earth, all taverns in Sahara and at the North Pole *

Maybe if would be closer to the tele location, after buying all the sigils and books from Frukas i rarely go in grahm village.

Roja makes plenty sense to me. I often get bored (not from the game! Not from the game!) from doing the repetitive things for too long. Too many FE's make Jack a dull boy, so I get up and stretch my legs. When 'special' NPC's are scattered around the continents it does make it worthwhile to go a'wandering. Besides, we've all gotten used to only one potion seller on Seridia, one Harvy anywhere, and only one Wraith not to mention others.

Sure it would be easier to play with lottery tickets at every tavern, all books at each bookseller, and 200 juicy spawns on every map, but then you could go from OA 1 to OA 100 in Nordcarn. Thusly missing out on all the cool eye candy and players everywhere else!

Besides, the lottery is only once a week. That's worth an arranged trip. Maybe the ideas of 2nd and 3rd prizes and announcements before the deadline would build up interest.

Yes you need to walk! It's not going to change for you lazy asses out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

were not lazy its just its abit boring waching your char just walk somewere so far away! and if i dont use the map i get lost :P

Yes you need to walk! It's not going to change for you lazy asses out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

were not lazy its just its abit boring waching your char just walk somewere so far away! and if i dont use the map i get lost :P

To walk don't give any xp so why do it ? :blush:

Make a new skill, walking maybe. :P

It all depends on why the lotter is in the game.

If primary purpose is to remove GC from game, then making it as easily accessible as possible is best.

If encouraging people to explore is primary purpose, then putting it somewhere out of the way is best.

Clearly in the US, state run lotteries are more interested in making money than getting people to explore their environment. Thus the reason you can buy a lottery ticket at any supermarket, gas station or corner lemonade stand.

It can be concluded that people who are suggesting moving the lottery NPC don't understand the relative importance of the two counter competing goals. Undoubtedly the choice of the WS location reflects the priority of having people explore being higher than removing GC from game. It still accomplishes both, but just emphasizes one at the expense of the other.

I think the reason for confusion is that (if I remember correctly), it was stated that a primary reason the NPC was introduced was to get GC out of game. Mistakenly, some (myself included) interpreted that to mean that its main (and perhaps ONLY primary) reason was to remove GC from game. Sure, the fun of "luck" of a random draw was always in there (that's what a lottery is... fun... or is it just a tax on the stupid?... :P), but the exploring bit wasn't emphasized as a main reason for inclusion in the game. Now we understand better. :P

And yes, I have played the lottery (call me stupid :blush:)

Edited by Darwin2M

Another reason for the lottery is to redistribute some of the gold around, sort of take from the rich and give to the poor. Of course, this can work the other way around too, because the rich can buy more tickets than the poor, but if more common people played, then it would have been better for everyone.

I was in game 3months before i even knew there was a lottery. So soem advertising would help played once and winner got 45k wont play again.

The question is, what do you want:

Want to take money from the rich and give it to the poor and being a money sink as a nice side effect, then make it easier to access (new option in tavern's NPC's menu for example). Ppl must go to the NPC to claim their prize.

Or want the lottery to be a "secret" ppl find just by exploring, a goodie which makes them happy that they found it. Then leave the NPC where it is. But then it wont be an effective money sink.

Anyways, some broadcasts from the NPC to advertise the lottery wont hurt IMO. Like 24 hours, 12 hours and 1 hour before the drawing is or such. That should help to make the lottery to become more popular.

Just my 2 cents :)

Piper

The NPC is fine where it is, and I don't really care that much about the lottery anyway. It's there, people can play it or not, there is little impact on the game either way.

The NPC is fine where it is, and I don't really care that much about the lottery anyway. It's there, people can play it or not, there is little impact on the game either way.

Exactly.If you want to increase the impact of the lottery in game, make it easier to buy tickets (to waste money).

It could really be a nice money sink, if its easier to access, like buying tickets from taverns, general stores.

Piper

Exactly.If you want to increase the impact of the lottery in game, make it easier to buy tickets (to waste money).

It could really be a nice money sink, if its easier to access, like buying tickets from taverns, general stores.

Piper

Or at least put another one on C2, so people from both C1 & C2 are on equal footing for the same lottery.

I buy a ticket every week, it's not a huge deal to beam then walk to grahms.

But I would much prefer it be easier for people to get them because I would love to see a LOT more people interested. It's a lot of fun and I know I would love to see a bigger jackpot and a bigger variety of names win.

My suggestions are:

1. Announcements of some sort

2. More npc's or move this one to a more commonly visited location

3. A smaller gc amount so more people can afford it

It might not be a big priority or impact the game but it is something fun and easy to make more fun for more people. Nothing wrong with something that only exists for fun :D

Another reason for the lottery is to redistribute some of the gold around, sort of take from the rich and give to the poor. Of course, this can work the other way around too, because the rich can buy more tickets than the poor, but if more common people played, then it would have been better for everyone.

So here's a radical idea: Why not put in a limit so that each character can buy no more than one ticket per week. When I saw Learner and Lunchbox win just about every week (or so it seemed) I figured they were probably not just lucky, but actually buying a lot of tickets. But even firguring that much, it turned me off from the lottery. I know irl you can buy more than one ticket, but how about trying that for a while? I'm not willing to spend more than 5k a week on a lottery, if at all, and I'm not going to play when it looks like someone might be buying 10 or 20 or 40 tickets opposed to my 1. If you limit each character to one ticket per week, there'd be more of a chance feeling and maybe people would play more again.

lilbear

I'm not willing to spend more than 5k a week on a lottery, if at all, and I'm not going to play when it looks like someone might be buying 10 or 20 or 40 tickets opposed to my 1.

You of course realize that your odds of winning with your one ticket are exactly the same if 40 people buy one ticket each or 1 person buys 40 tickets. The only things that change your odds is the total number of tickets sold and the number you buy.