Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaspode

Clients compiled from CVS (Rule 5)?[SOLVED]

I've looked for a specific definition of the above, but can't find one, are clients compiled from CVS considered 'legal' clients for connection to the main server? I'm assuming that the absence of a specific prohibition on using these means that the are allowed?

I just thought i'd check before using my first client compiled from CVS, i'd hate to get banned for 'illegal client' use.

:hug:

The CVS client is legal in that sense that you will not be banned for using it. However, read the programming forum carefully to see what functions would be ok to use.

And, if you run into problems using the CVS client, it would be better to report those problems as bugs in the Bug report forum ( http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showforum=4 )

Thank you, the main reason for my enquiry was to make sure I could use the CVS client on the main servers, mostly for testing of the develoment client, and to report any bugs/problems that might show up. I generally try to keep up with the progress of client development as I dual-boot windows/linux and run EL on both, also my chosen linux distro requires me to compile the client anyway, I'll be sure to be careful to avoid any functions which may not be fully implemented as yet, or have been noted as potential problems.

I'll be sure to be careful to avoid any functions which may not be fully implemented as yet, or have been noted as potential problems.

Anything that has been committed to CVS is allowed on the main server. The reason to avoid it is that it might be very unstable, or incomplete. However, if you are wanting to help test, then please. Test the unstable stuff and let us know what's wrong. :-)

Basically, check under the appropriate threads in the programming forum so as to not report known bugs, or incomplete stuff that isn't being worked on, but other than that, enjoy. :-)

The "illegal clients" is anything that isn't approved (ie, in CVS), so don't modify your client (even just to try your hand at bug fixes) and use it on the main server. That's what the test server is for. If your bug fixes work, then please submit them as a patch in the programming thread (and post them on Berlios), and a dev will check it. If approved, it will be committed and you can then use it on the main server. :-)

The "illegal clients" is anything that isn't approved (ie, in CVS), so don't modify your client (even just to try your hand at bug fixes) and use it on the main server. That's what the test server is for. If your bug fixes work, then please submit them as a patch in the programming thread (and post them on Berlios), and a dev will check it. If approved, it will be committed and you can then use it on the main server. :-)

I think we're all quite safe there, my coding ability can fit quite nicely in a matchbox, without removing the matches :(

I was just interested in trying to compile from CVS using Dev C++ on Doze, and having a sneak preview of the present state of development, interestingly enough EL compiles fine on my old 233Mhz Compaq lappy under win98se, but not under XP, i'll post more on these and other oddities in the programming forum though.

Can some nice admin type mark this as solved, and thanks for the help :)