Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Placid

Do you like Diamonds?

Mr De Beers I presume?

Mr De Beers I presume?

LOL, indeed.

I wonder, what would people say if I offered the Diamonds at 1gc per unit, with a minimum order of 50000 units?

Mr De Beers I presume?

LOL, indeed.

I wonder, what would people say if I offered the Diamonds at 1gc per unit, with a minimum order of 50000 units?

I'll take 50,000 :P

I'll take 50k too :P if you sell them for 1gc.

but you're mad to do that 0.o

Y :P ou could always go round giving out dimonds at random, a'la Joker, hours of amusement, then once word got round, hide, and more hours of amusement as you realise everyone is out hunting for you.

You could keep this up for months and still have enough diamonds for any conceivable purpose.

:hiya:

I'm intrigued as to why not one person has complained about the affects on the market such an offering could cause. Is noone concerned?

I'm intrigued as to why not one person has complained about the affects on the market such an offering could cause. Is noone concerned?

I'm very concerned.

i'd be concerned if you were selling them even at 3gc... theyre in big demand since there are more profitable pursuits than only harvesting 1.2k diamonds an hour (into hyperbags, muling not taken into account).

i think the market pc is wrong for gems... though i wouldnt change it.. all the noobs would only harvest diamonds if they thought they could get lots of money from it and they would soon saturate the demand... im happy to keep them making fe for me :whistle:

you can sell them to harvey in DP for 3gc without giving all the top PKers +50 magic levels

With this amount of any (base) product, I have the power to force market prices down purely by selling them under their real value. It doesn't really cost that much to harvest this many of one thing (excluding the higher end harvestables that require additional items), except time and patience. I'm still making 2.4million GC by selling at 1GC each, and that's where the potential for ruining the market lies. I don't HAVE to sell at 3GC, and because any buyer with a gram of sense would come to me for their Diamond needs and not JoeBloggs selling his 1k at 3GC, it means I can control the market purely by adjusting my prices as and when I see fit.

It should not be possible for one player to be able to control the entire market (where Diamonds are related).

Herein lies my point. Drastic measures are needed to prevent this ability, because right now nothing is stopping me (apart from community-based efforts to ignore my offer of 1GC, although there will always be selfish buyers) from ruining the market purely because I can. Furthermore, if I were to go ahead with selling at 1GC, I could potentially force any competitors out of the market by virtue of freebies and even cutting the price per unit to .5GC. No loss to me. Afterall, there's plenty more where these came from...

Do you get my point? Probably not. Good job I don't actually have 2.4 million Diamonds, otherwise I might be forced to prove my point...

You forced the number through the filter? :D

-Blee

Photoshop? :whistle:

Anyway placid, if someone ever manages to get 2 million of diamonds it will take him probably more than a year. If someone makes steel bars a year long he will also be able to put a new market price there. In real life if some oil country starts overproducing oil he also can set a new oil price. I don't actually see what you're trying to point out.

Mr De Beers I presume?

Its true there is nothing ingame to stop a EL De Beers Corporation from buying and controlling prices.

However that corporation had nearly controlled every possible source of a resource, in this case, diamonds. I do think its impossible for one person\group\entity to buy all the diamonds (or any resource)

in the game and maintain total control, since the supply is unlimited. If a game resource could only

be mined for N-number units per game day, then we would see monster price hikes and market control.

I guess the question is:

1) should there be a max quantity set on one item in the storage?

2) maybe the npc buy prices be dynamic (with the pawn scripting?) to cause a fluctuating market?

The second one to me is important. With dynamic scripts perhaps with npcs, the game can

develop a commodities market and the economy then could never reach stagnation.

Still its impossible to keep a monster resource influx from altering prices, but maybe a dynamic market

(since npcs really set the base price) could prevent the hording from occurring in the first place?

Just random ideas :)

I am starting to doubt that Placid has these "Diamonds".

I think I might need to examine the evidence...

I don't think anyone in their right mind wouldn't buy 50k for 1gc each.

Maybe you should scroll up and read:

Do you get my point? Probably not. Good job I don't actually have 2.4 million Diamonds, otherwise I might be forced to prove my point...

0.o you tricked me, you bass turd! **cries*

But you're right, never said that unlimited resources are good for the game.

But you also said "except time and patience" who has that anymore? I guess you just need ONE person to see this topic, who wants to control the market, and be determained to do so..

Yikes.. 2million is just... too much 0.o

Maybe a storage cap would be a good idea. Not sure about the spawning thing though... there has been so many years with it like the way it is, it would be a DRASTIC change, and cause a LOT of fighting... (from what I have seen in other games). Course this is EL most of us are civalized.

Maybe the NPC could buy for more gc, but limit how much they buy a day. Although, with that the market may not even change....

I guess you just need ONE person to see this topic, who wants to control the market, and be determained to do so..

Did you ever know MrMind? :)

-Blee

Nope... sorry :) Never knew him.