Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EMP weapon

Would you like one?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like one?

• Yes
    • No

Lots of really good points, and the disabling of magic items seems like a good compremise. I am also astonished by the number of really pissed off people who hate this idea, perhaps if there was something that was a single use item that fighters could use to protect themselves?

Spell of EMP Protection (protects from 1 EMP blast, then protection is lost)

Stone of Magnetism (Protects from 1 EMP blast per 5 minutes)

Gravity Ankh - Manufacturable under Engineering Skill (If an EMP goes off, the EMP user takes ?? damage and the Gravity Stone is Destroyed, no magical items are lost)

OR Gravity Ankh (Whenever an EMP goes off, your magical items cooldown instead of break. Gravity Ankh must be work as a medallion and can break in combat or by BrOD)

I honestly beive this will ruin a lot of the fun of PK. As mentioned earlier, a BroD you can atleast see, this will be too sneaky for my taste. Using a 300gc item to break/ruin a 400kgc item seems a lil over the top imo.

If this get implented I would like either Mag immune to protect against this. Or a new protection spell. Anti Pulse spell.

This is a great point. Though I do belive this will seriously reduce the market and oppurtunity for manuers to make decent gc's. As it is they loose money on Iron Plate sets, little profit on tit, steel sets if you consider the time and books needed to get to this level of manufaturing. Most top level manuers have invested 200-400K in an arti cape to make these magical armors. If a 300gc item destroys an 400K Cutty of Mage, no one will bother to invest in those weps. This will seriously hurt manufatures, and arti cape sales to fighters will drop significantly.

Something to remember, Entropy said the chance of an item breaking was INVERSE to its value, which means, in a nutshell, it is WAY more likely to lose a dis ring, and extremely unlikely for your Cutty of Mage, NMT, or thermal serp, to get touched.

I'm guessing it will be much more likely to lose an NMT or therm serp from a brod (or lucky hit without NMT) than the EMP (or whatever name it will go by)

Edit: for pure laugh purposes, can we call it the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?

Even if it's not specifically a hand grenade...

Edited by shallara

Something to remember, Entropy said the chance of an item breaking was INVERSE to its value, which means, in a nutshell, it is WAY more likely to lose a dis ring, and extremely unlikely for your Cutty of Mage, NMT, or thermal serp, to get touched.

I'm guessing it will be much more likely to lose an NMT or therm serp from a brod (or lucky hit without NMT) than the EMP (or whatever name it will go by)

Yes, or it is WAY more likely to lose a rosto AND risk to drop a NMT or thermal if you die = low level players.

So only top players will be pking with these items = only few lower level people on pk maps.

Edited by Zamirah

I love it. With a few tweaks, it won't kill PK at all. Destroying things like serps is an awful idea. But if it would just take away their magic, especially temporarily, most of us wouldn't have much of a problem. And likewise for other items (NMT-->temporarily generic cape, for example). Though that would be rather difficult to implement, it would definitely add to the game once it happened (assuming it would.) And as far as rostos are concerned, why not just make them into rocks? >:P

And if it make your rosto not work can you still loose your thermal.

So only few high level people will use thermal and magic armor for PK, not the people who now just risk a rost.

dont make it work on rostos =)

I am surprised that people has already formed a strong opinion without knowing:

1. what the chances of having an item dissolved are (if they are tiny, the risk is negligible)
  2. how rapidly the effect weakens with distance (it it decays quickly, the EMP would only be effective if practically engaged)
  3. which ingredients and which engineering level will be needed to manufacture it (if it requires as ingredients items that can only be obtained by fighters, there would be an economic loop)
  4. how many of these devices can be expected to be around at any given moment, considering that they disappear with each use

Lacking this info, I would suspend judgement. I think however that PKing should be a risky job, whereas using NMT+rosto the risk is next to 0 (I am talking about risk, not cost), so adding some "spice" could be nice. However, it all depends on the numbers above, if these are "wrong", the whole business might turn out to be detrimental...

Amen to that.

In fact, I don't even know why the hell I made this poll, I expected a reaction like this.

People don't ask for details, and have no clue about things, but they are, of course, experts.

They complain how the PK is so dead, but this thing would ruin the PK.. Like killing something that is dead already.

Let's just say that I am very dissapointed with most people's posts and votes here, and next time I'll want to do something I'll just do it anyway, and those who don't like the changes can either adapt or go play some other game.

I am surprised that people has already formed a strong opinion without knowing:

1. what the chances of having an item dissolved are (if they are tiny, the risk is negligible)
  2. how rapidly the effect weakens with distance (it it decays quickly, the EMP would only be effective if practically engaged)
  3. which ingredients and which engineering level will be needed to manufacture it (if it requires as ingredients items that can only be obtained by fighters, there would be an economic loop)
  4. how many of these devices can be expected to be around at any given moment, considering that they disappear with each use

Lacking this info, I would suspend judgement. I think however that PKing should be a risky job, whereas using NMT+rosto the risk is next to 0 (I am talking about risk, not cost), so adding some "spice" could be nice. However, it all depends on the numbers above, if these are "wrong", the whole business might turn out to be detrimental...

Amen to that.

In fact, I don't even know why the hell I made this poll, I expected a reaction like this.

People don't ask for details, and have no clue about things, but they are, of course, experts.

They complain how the PK is so dead, but this thing would ruin the PK.. Like killing something that is dead already.

Let's just say that I am very dissapointed with most people's posts and votes here, and next time I'll want to do something I'll just do it anyway, and those who don't like the changes can either adapt or go play some other game.

Then goodbye EL :P

Dear Entropy,

First of all, do not be so disappointed. I can't speak about others, so I will just try to express my thoughts.

I like this game because of many reasons: it has open source client, and unlike other open source MMORPGs is actually playable and enjoyable, also, we can talk to the game developers and designers (you, your wife, Learner and others). Even if the communication is not perfect sometimes, we or you get disappointed and such, it is still MUCH MUCH better than commercial games where company CEO or head developers really don't bother to read players' flames. We can feel you are a real guy just like us, and that is important.

What concerns our reaction to some of your suggestions, I think it's normal. IMHO games are for fun, so players react like "would it be fun to have such feature?". If they feel that it's not fun, they vote/speak against, not because your idea is wrong or uninteresting.

Also, it would be very nice if you don't say like "or go play some other game". I bet 95% people here posted/voted not because they are trolls, but because they enjoy this game and are interesting about its further direction. Personally, I will be playing EL despite this EMP weapon and other changes that I may not like. I have started exploring other skills like summoning. Even if the game becomes very boring to me, I would code some EL bots/client instead of playing, but would still be involved, because EL is too interesting project just to leave it.

Keep up the good work and good luck.

Kind regards,

Vytas

Also, it would be very nice if you don't say like "or go play some other game". I bet 95% people here posted/voted not because they are trolls, but because they enjoy this game and are interesting about its further direction. Personally, I will be playing EL despite this EMP weapon and other changes that I may not like. I have started exploring other skills like summoning. Even if the game becomes very boring to me, I would code some EL bots/client instead of playing, but would still be involved, because EL is too interesting project just to leave it.

Kind regards,

Vytas

The reason I told them to go play another game is that they should put their money where their mouth is. For example, if I implement something which causes a lot of players to leave, then I lose money. So I put my money were my mouth is. They should do the same, and if they think something will ruin the game, then they should quit and play some other game that is more fun for them.

how low can you sink

if u need money taken out of the game better let resetting cost gold instead of destroying peoples armor which they worked hard for.

how low can you sink

if u need money taken out of the game better let resetting cost gold instead of destroying peoples armor which they worked hard for.

Ok, you earned the privilege of being banned forever from the forums, and possibly from the game as well.

n020.gifn020.gif

well after all.. there still are some other kinky skill we can lvl. i will just wait to look how it works out. am just a bit

afraid how it will work out. :/

Edited by Scorpius

if i tell my oppinion to what scorp said will i get banned? :P

Edited by Tempest

Kind regards,

Vytas

The reason I told them to go play another game is that they should put their money where their mouth is. For example, if I implement something which causes a lot of players to leave, then I lose money. So I put my money were my mouth is. They should do the same, and if they think something will ruin the game, then they should quit and play some other game that is more fun for them.

Entropy your ideas are great your willingness to work with the community is great. your people skills are great. Yes people jump to conclusions real quick. It is by far 1 of our worst traits as humans.

I think many first as I did until I read down through before voting do not like the name EMP sounds to modern.

A ring of magic destruction, since it will make a magical item dissapear.

I am not a pker so I should not post here as to what affects would happen in PK. I don't think PK is dead I do think there are times for PK even though I do not participate in it.

I also feel Entropy is working very hard to create and listen to people on what they want for PK.

Going ahead maybe some items or magic that might make things more interesting.

I was originally posting some magical items and descriptions but this is not the place for it.

Entropy your ideas are great your willingness to work with the community is great. your people skills are great. Yes people jump to conclusions real quick. It is by far 1 of our worst traits as humans.

I think many first as I did until I read down through before voting do not like the name EMP sounds to modern.

I am not a pker so I should not post here as to what affects would happen in PK. I don't think PK is dead I do think there are times for PK even though I do not participate in it.

I also feel Entropy is working very hard to create and listen to people on what they want for PK.

I was originally posting some magical items and descriptions but this is not the place for it.

Actually, my people skills suck.

I am too direct, and talking too much to the players is usually not a good idea. Very few other MMOs do that, and for good reasons: if you talk to people, you give them a finger, and they will take your whole hand.

The best way to deal with people is give them form letters, prerwitten, that state something like: "We implemented this which is a wonderful thing and everyone will be happy", then delete any negative comments to that.

A lot of successful companies do that (Valve, Blizzard, EA, etc.) and seems to be working great for them.

I don't see a problem with the Item, would bring back alot of PK if it makes the Item be dropped, rather than destroyed, since you may still get something from it if it works, thus increasing the reason to PK.

Maybe the Item could also have a small chance, insted of making the Item be dropped, it will be destroyed.

Still, I voted yes.

As i said before i quite like the idea if it was tweaked abit, and im sure Ent himself knows that the idea may need adapting, that is why he asked the community so we could post contructive critisim and ideas.

On reading some of the posts the idea that items are not destroyed but nullified for a certain time period is a good one (excluding rosts)

Amen to that.

I believe you get reactions like this because of how you present your polls, they seem to be absolutes with very little implementation details. For example the NMT break thread. It was just yes/no with no reasoning or rates disclosed. This again is a simple yes/no with no information regarding how easily things would be removed. If you want realistic responses from people give them the information they need to make an informed response.

Actually, my people skills suck.

I am too direct, and talking too much to the players is usually not a good idea. Very few other MMOs do that, and for good reasons: if you talk to people, you give them a finger, and they will take your whole hand.

The best way to deal with people is give them form letters, prerwitten, that state something like: "We implemented this which is a wonderful thing and everyone will be happy", then delete any negative comments to that.

li

A lot of successful companies do that (Valve, Blizzard, EA, etc.) and seems to be working great for them.

ye well, u are looking at the biggest games companies , and blizzard owns the biggest MMO of the world ( millions of players? :X ), if they'd ask everyone to post their oppinion about what would be implented and all, would make such a mess , but el has a nice and small community, so asking the ppl their point of view about smthing is, for me, the right thing to do :P

Edited by Kakuzu

now that really dissapoints me. i saw it as a big plus that you have an almost friendly like relation to the community. well.. im not struck in your skin so i cant tell what you have to go through every day when youre

in el or on forums. but anyways. if you want to get distance from your community i guess it has reasons.

I just think if you make absolute decisions on new stuff you should let the ppl complain. imo that helps to

tweak stuff and make it seem fair for both sides. you and us. i dont think all big companies got that big without listening to critique. that would rather amaze me.

Anyways. do as you wish. youre teh god. we the mere mortals o.o

I believe you get reactions like this because of how you present your polls, they seem to be absolutes with very little implementation details. For example the NMT break thread. It was just yes/no with no reasoning or rates disclosed. This again is a simple yes/no with no information regarding how easily things would be removed. If you want realistic responses from people give them the information they need to make an informed response.

Well, obviously, if I were to implement it, I would have worked the details so that a 300 gc item will not destroy a 300K item (not likely, that is).

What I wanted to know was if players would like the idea of such an item, and if they did, we would have worked out the details.

ye well, u are looking at the biggest games companies , and blizzard owns the biggest MMO of the world ( millions of players? :X ), if they'd ask everyone to post their oppinion about what would be implented and all, would make such a mess , but el has a nice and small community, so asking the ppl their point of view about smthing is, for me, the right thing to do :P

Runescape is the biggest MMO, WoW is on the 3rd place I think (in terms of players, not income).

Both Runescape and WoW have forums where players can say their mind. But their moderation standards are much more strict than ours, and when you get banned in WoW, you don't appeal it; you are banne,d you get a form letter, and any reply is ignored or answered with another form letter. There is no such thing as second chances there.

now that really dissapoints me. i saw it as a big plus that you have an almost friendly like relation to the community. well.. im not struck in your skin so i cant tell what you have to go through every day when youre

in el or on forums. but anyways. if you want to get distance from your community i guess it has reasons.

I just think if you make absolute decisions on new stuff you should let the ppl complain. imo that helps to

tweak stuff and make it seem fair for both sides. you and us. i dont think all big companies got that big without listening to critique. that would rather amaze me.

Anyways. do as you wish. youre teh god. we the mere mortals o.o

It is a big plus for some players, but overall, I feel that it is better to just distance yourself from the community. There is a reason most other games do it.

Well, obviously, if I were to implement it, I would have worked the details so that a 300 gc item will not destroy a 300K item (not likely, that is).

What I wanted to know was if players would like the idea of such an item, and if they did, we would have worked out the details.

well, maybe u should tell the details when u first made the post, because i voted at the beginning of this topic and when i saw : destroy magical item, i said no straight away.. but i saw some interesting ideas such as disabling the magical effects of some swords and armors, and those ideas are kinda cool :P except for the rosto =(

I think this is a good idea but could use some tweaking.

1. Have the sword's effect be temporary for 4 in game days or so by getting rid of the magical powers of the item (serpent sword becomes normal sword ect.) this also gives the advantage that the killer can't just pick up the items and use them to slay other people right away.

2. Get rid of rostos: whats the fun in killing someone when all you get when your done is an angry person pm'ing you for their items back and some lost health.

Auror