Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EMP weapon

Would you like one?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like one?

• Yes
    • No

How will spill over from arenas to the spectator stands be worked?

I like the idea as I would be able to make mercury runs with them knowing that if I am messed with it can cost the pkers dearly. ;)

I have not voted yet but leaning towards yes please.

A few suggestions:

A slight name change would be good, Ectoplasmic Magic Pulse for RP purposes.

Some new drop to go with the ectoplasmic nature, from Phantom warriors or other such 'ghost' like creature. This also adds an element of the fighters contributing to the creation of the items. And would also likely increase the overall cost of the item as the only need for the drop would be this item at this time.

If there was to be a risk ensured for the user maybe requiring them to have on them a magic item of a medium value for the EMP to fuction. "Your EMP needs a magic source to work properly." Something like an efe or harvester medallion. The item does not get used up but of course still has a chance to break.

As for others suggestions:

I really like the idea of it degrading an item if possible for the item. Still a high cost but more recoverable.

Edited by senkrad

u say what it feels like to lose stuff... what u lost? couple of steel chains?? but u dont know how its like to lose 1 item worth 300k gc...

Haha, a few steel chains? here have five. I've lost a lot more than that before due to my own stupidity. Something worth 300k? no not quite that much, but I'm very cautious and rarely use expensive items in combat.

If you don't want to loose it to this weapon, don't wear it. Or, risk it, and catch somebody with say full ti but no magical items and get their stuff. Theres pro's and con's just like anything in this game.

Ok a group of 5-10 people on in arena and use one at same time...bam were do my items go?

Um, how many groups of 5-10 do you know that plan on doing that? And you're the pro PKer, kill them before they get a chance. And as I said before, certain people will begin to be known for using these and you can avoid them. And again repeating myself from above in this very post. If you don't want to loose it to this weapon don't wear it, or risk it and maybe get some benefits to cover for next time when you don't get so lucky.

Omg, ill shut my mouth about what i think of that. For one...WTF would you buy an item that you wouldnt want to use? Wtf does my thermal serp do me if im too scared to pull it out and use it b/c of the risk of breaking it? 2nd, do you think im the top pker in game? No i am not. Seeing you dont pk, u wouldnt know what its like to be ganged in an arena with people waiting to catch ur dis. You get 4 people in arena, plus the person u fighting, they cast the ring or wtf ever. Or u can just get a group of n00b alts to go in the arena invis and cast it, same difference.

u say what it feels like to lose stuff... what u lost? couple of steel chains?? but u dont know how its like to lose 1 item worth 300k gc...

Haha, a few steel chains? here have five. I've lost a lot more than that before due to my own stupidity. Something worth 300k? no not quite that much, but I'm very cautious and rarely use expensive items in combat.

If you don't want to loose it to this weapon, don't wear it. Or, risk it, and catch somebody with say full ti but no magical items and get their stuff. Theres pro's and con's just like anything in this game.

Ok a group of 5-10 people on in arena and use one at same time...bam were do my items go?

Um, how many groups of 5-10 do you know that plan on doing that? And you're the pro PKer, kill them before they get a chance. And as I said before, certain people will begin to be known for using these and you can avoid them. And again repeating myself from above in this very post. If you don't want to loose it to this weapon don't wear it, or risk it and maybe get some benefits to cover for next time when you don't get so lucky.

-edit-

I'd like to also say that 200-300gc may be just a tad bit low. 1-3k I think would probably be better. Still plenty inexpensive for experienced players, yet not to cheap.

well some guilds for sure would use that... like pkg ;) and some other noob peeps with noob friends who would use tons of em'...

what benefits? the only ppl who will use that will be naked... what item can u get from someone naked??? no benefits at all if u risk ur stuff! only benefit for him coz he will make u lose very valuable stuff ..

Edited by Kakuzu

Ugh, god I'm happy I don't PK. But I feel sorry for you guys.

And why don't I PK? It would take all my time to get those expensive armours and weapons, without I wouldn't have any chance against anyone, even with same lvls that I have. And now even more chance to lose those armours and weapons etc just like that? I would love to have PK as simple as possible, no rosts, no summons etc. But what do I know... ;)

Voted no, btw.

Omg, ill shut my mouth about what i think of that. For one...WTF would you buy an item that you wouldnt want to use? Wtf does my thermal serp do me if im too scared to pull it out and use it b/c of the risk of breaking it? 2nd, do you think im the top pker in game? No i am not. Seeing you dont pk, u wouldnt know what its like to be ganged in an arena with people waiting to catch ur dis. You get 4 people in arena, plus the person u fighting, they cast the ring or wtf ever. Or u can just get a group of n00b alts to go in the arena invis and cast it, same difference.

Hmm, never said you were top PKer

If you're not going to use your high level items, sell them. OR risk it, its a game. you loose stuff you earn it back, its the way it goes. And I'm arguing all this from the hopes that the chances of breaking something as valuable as therm serp will be very low. If a pair of newbies can come in and break an NMT and a therm serp from a PKer every few hours. Then I'm switching sides in this argument. But I don't think that will be possible.

If the price is slightly more than what Entropy mentioned, and the risk of loosing VERY expensive items is sufficiently low I think this is a good idea.

If you can very very easily break the very expensive items, and it only cost a couple hundred gold coins, then I think this a bad idea.

If time is spent reading these opinions and tweaking the weapon accordingly I think this could be a good item. But yes, I admit it could also be potentialy a bad thing.

what benefits? the only ppl who will use that will be naked... what item can u get from someone naked??? no benefits at all if u risk ur stuff! only benefit for him coz he will make u lose very valuable stuff ..

regular full Titanium is NOT a magical item, thats hardly naked, maybe not worth as much as some magical stuff you might get from PK but hardly naked.

-edit-

There may also be items that will either reduce the chances of the EMP affecting you are completely rendering it uselses. Or as Albazz mentions below perhaps an EMP immunity spell. This is something I am assuming and why I am taking time to argue for the weapon.

Edited by Enly

What measures will be put in place to reduce the risk of abuse of this item. It is very cheap and could damage PK in the same way giant stones did I would imagine. I see the point of the possible removal of rostogol stones though...

...if this is what we are aiming towards, perhaps we could just have a Stone of Rosto Cooldown... similar to above but has a chance (slim and expensive chance) to cause a rostogol cooldown, in which time the stone won't work. This, aswell as having it's own cooldown (perhaps a proximity cooldown to prevent deRosto ambush), could have a very short cooldown effect to limit it's effective use.

Ofcourse, I personally don't want my rosto to be affected atall ;) if I happen to have to enter PK.

EDIT:

Oh, and I say Rosto Cooldown since the loss of the rosto effect is expensive enough on a player, without costing him/her the price of a rostogol stone automatically too.

Double Edit:

Removed my declaration of my vote, due to being grrred at by someone the opposite side.

Edited by kailomonkey

I honestly beive this will ruin a lot of the fun of PK. As mentioned earlier, a BroD you can atleast see, this will be too sneaky for my taste. Using a 300gc item to break/ruin a 400kgc item seems a lil over the top imo.

If this get implented I would like either Mag immune to protect against this. Or a new protection spell. Anti Pulse spell.

The only way I could see this making sense is if it only could potentially break items of a similar value. So this would be a tool in PK to try and break people's sun/moon/star/unicorn/ medallion, or perhaps their last disengagement or teleport ring.

It coule be very useful as a PK tool to try and break an opponents dis or tele ring and prevent them from escaping.

No way should something so cheap be able to break expensive (>1Kgc) items.

I voted no btw.

In principle an item like this would be ok, but in the proportions Ent suggested I think its a bit strong..

Maybe it shouldnt effect armour,weapons,capes etc but only weaker items.

ie: EMP = Empty Magic Pulse

? % chance to drain all a players mana and to destroy 50-100% of any carried essies,pots,sum stones etc

I voted no also. If this item had been in game before there is no way I would have ever shelled out $90 usd for my thermal serp. ;) I also agree that it would pretty much kill pk.

In principle an item like this would be ok, but in the proportions Ent suggested I think its a bit strong..

I completely agree. Yes you can read my past posts and see me strongly arguing for it. But I'm arguing for a more expensive item. With low chances of breaking very valuable things. And capes/items/spells to lessen its effect, or completely protect from it.

So before you all decide I'm an idiot for thinking its a good idea, I'm making assumptions of what the weapon will be like. And hoping that there will be certain protections against it.

A cheap item that destroys Therms easily and there is no protection, horrible idea and yes will kill PK. but with tweaking I believe this will be a potentially good item.

That was just to summerize my opinion as I now plan to fade out of the discussion seeing as I've voiced my thoughts ;)

I am surprised that people has already formed a strong opinion without knowing:

1. what the chances of having an item dissolved are (if they are tiny, the risk is negligible)
  2. how rapidly the effect weakens with distance (it it decays quickly, the EMP would only be effective if practically engaged)
  3. which ingredients and which engineering level will be needed to manufacture it (if it requires as ingredients items that can only be obtained by fighters, there would be an economic loop)
  4. how many of these devices can be expected to be around at any given moment, considering that they disappear with each use

Lacking this info, I would suspend judgement. I think however that PKing should be a risky job, whereas using NMT+rosto the risk is next to 0 (I am talking about risk, not cost), so adding some "spice" could be nice. However, it all depends on the numbers above, if these are "wrong", the whole business might turn out to be detrimental...

I voted no... but after reading thyralax's idea, it made me think... i like the idea for something to disable all those special items people use in (especially SoM >.<) pk... but instead of destroying them, why not just make them unuseable for 1 day (6hours) or so.. like make a them malfunction... like the rosto lost its magical powers for that time, or a therm serp is too hot/cold to touch, a cape becomes faded cloth,etc... but only for 6hours... that way you still disable the item (and i know alot of people will be really pissed if u do that to them on a no drops day :P) and force them to pk in normal stuff...

and to all those anti/non- pk'ers... i harv long hours for my items, and they break enough as it is (ask CelticLady/Chance how often i buy things), and i pk for fun, not to destroy my enemies' stuff... the more i can get to fight them, the more fun i have... i have no problem with a brod/mace destroying my items, atleast i can wear red cape... call me a coward for not wanting to lose 60k+ worth of items

From a role playing point of view, it is perfectly sensible that a skilled fighter can be killed by 5 less powerful guys acting together (and actually, wars are won by engineers these days, not soldiers :P). Why do you think you have a right to win in such an ambush?

Also, depending on the %ages, it might take 20 or 50 people to get a reasonable chance to deprive you of some magical item -- and even then, you are not loosing all of them together, so you can fight back.

It just needs to be balanced, e.g. if the EMP has a chance of 1/10 of dissolving a rosto, it should cost 1000-1500gc, if it is 1/100 it could well cost 150-250gc. (Add a multipliear at will, based on how many magical items you have in your inventory at any given moment).

From a role playing point of view, it is perfectly sensible that a skilled fighter can be killed by 5 less powerful guys acting together (and actually, wars are won by engineers these days, not soldiers :D). Why do you think you have a right to win in such an ambush?

Also, depending on the %ages, it might take 20 or 50 people to get a reasonable chance to deprive you of some magical item -- and even then, you are not loosing all of them together, so you can fight back.

It just needs to be balanced, e.g. if the EMP has a chance of 1/10 of dissolving a rosto, it should cost 1000-1500gc, if it is 1/100 it could well cost 150-250gc. (Add a multipliear at will, based on how many magical items you have in your inventory at any given moment).

one more post like that and welcome to my pk list :P

u all wanna kill pk or what? i thought ent was trying to get pk back up :P

this will just kill pk, i dunno how u got the idea, what should be positive on those rings ? whatever.

and yeh about some points. remove rostos, and maybe even steel/tit armor and so, but thats to much problems etc which i can understand. still i bet pk would be so full \o/

I voted NO.

In theory, it is a good way for balancing the amount of special items/gc ingame. Just like BroD/redcapes.

In EL reality, PK is dead a bit inactive, if there are such strong weapons of destruction as the suggested one, even less people would dare to step into PK, and the demand for manufacturers/crafters/summoners would drop even further. Special swords would be used for posing only (yeah Scorpius I know you like it :P )

Edited by vytukas

Since this idea seems to have the engineers in mind, why not take it a step further? Run with Thyralax's idea of an EMP disabling rather than destroying (or degrading) a magical item. Then implement an engineering skill where they can repair and restore the weapon/armor's effect.

I haven't voted yet because I wanted to see what others had to say and Thyralax's idea is the only thing preventing me from voting no. Allowing a 300gc item to destroy a 300kgc item does seem awfully ludicrous.

I really like the ingenuity of this idea.

BUT, as others have stated, the percentages and approximate statistics should be known to make a more informed decision.

As with many others, if the EMP is implemented, it should be more expensive and/or more difficult to make...

It does seem it will level the playing field so to speak..

I can easily see a PK contest '[NL] guild has taken over Fort Bragg! come and defeat Dushan and his allies and rid the fort of their tyranny' (just had this one a week or so ago)

10 friends come in in leathers... with a couple EMP's apiece, rush the fort, and use them all... then they get out of KF, (or die) and their armed buddies take their turn...

To me it seems the equivalant of suicide bombers rushing an invasion force with grenades, risking their lives so their allies can finish off the enemy.

However you feel about it, it is a tactic long used in warfare.

No, I'm not a PK-er, but a person doesn't have to be to see the tactical impact.

Also, we already have an EMP item in game.. the Extra Mana Potion. So maybe an alternative name or acronym would need to be decided on?

I love it. With a few tweaks, it won't kill PK at all. Destroying things like serps is an awful idea. But if it would just take away their magic, especially temporarily, most of us wouldn't have much of a problem. And likewise for other items (NMT-->temporarily generic cape, for example). Though that would be rather difficult to implement, it would definitely add to the game once it happened (assuming it would.) And as far as rostos are concerned, why not just make them into rocks? >:P

I like this idea as it's a new tactic but i think it's too cheap and like most people... I defin would not like to spend 300k on a nmt only to have it destoried in mere seconds by something worth 300gc lol

i like the wa shallara put it... but i swear i read we were going to have suicide bombers in teh really terms with the really bombs lol

<-- not a pker

DMP? 'destorying magic' pulse?

Edit: Also adding the terms which Thyralax may help

Edited by cho-yun

Also, we already have an EMP item in game.. the Extra Mana Potion. So maybe an alternative name or acronym would need to be decided on?

Although I disagree with this idea, how about Ring of Decay? Or rather Ring of Nullify for not destroying, yet disabling items. Replace ring with suitable type of item it would eventually be.

I love it. With a few tweaks, it won't kill PK at all. Destroying things like serps is an awful idea. But if it would just take away their magic, especially temporarily, most of us wouldn't have much of a problem. And likewise for other items (NMT-->temporarily generic cape, for example). Though that would be rather difficult to implement, it would definitely add to the game once it happened (assuming it would.) And as far as rostos are concerned, why not just make them into rocks? >:P

And if it make your rosto not work can you still loose your thermal.

So only few high level people will use thermal and magic armor for PK, not the people who now just risk a rost.

Would it ease anyone's concerns if perhaps the effect of this item were to say.....act as a temporary stat modifier CHANCE (negative) to one of "special weapons and armors (those with special effects)/Magic swords (the glowy ones)/All the capes that do something, including NMT"?.

CHANCE/severity of temp. stat reduction of said item to be determined by distance from where EMP initially cast/used? If caster him/herself is wearing nothing that can be affected? Oh well...

*Wonders if perhaps the silent majority: non-pk'rs/people who have, but have been discouraged (whatever the reasons) will ever speak up and state what could be implented to have them even consider it again*

(maybe an item like this? \o/)

(Only a thought towards those who say "Omg, pk is dead" or "Boring")

I generally notice that EL has a certain 'already established/vocal' cadre of pk'rs (for the most part), and the people who may actually help infuse some life into pk (if actually it's lifeless) remain silent due to topic inexperience (moi) or fear of belittlement.

I'm probably out to lunch and should stick to harvin and stuff, but occasionally I'll attempt to contribute. Now whether it's a cohesive thought that makes any sense, that's another story....