Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Learner

EL Premium Proxy

EL Premium PRoxy --- Do I start working on it or not?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Will you use this?

• Yes! Sign me up for a year! The money is on it's way!
    • I'm interested, but I'll buy a month when I have problems
    • I'll wait and see how it works out
    • No way! I don't need to pay in order to play!

Due to the recent incident of another major loss of connectivity to the EL game server, I will now spell out more of my ideas for the EL Premium Proxy service that might be able to help in this and other situations. If enough people like it and put their money where there mouth is, I'll get cracking on at least the minimum services it could provide and see if we can raise the priority with Entropy for the long term features that it needs.

The original thread is at http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...e=show&st=p

The EL Premium Proxy service would provide:

1. Access to main EL Game Server by accessing a different system. So if part of the internet is having problems, you might be able to get to the game server through the proxy. For example, in todays outage people could not reach the game server, but could post in the forums. Those people would have a good chance of using this service to get in.

2. Access to the El Game Server on ports other then 2000. For people that find they are having accessing the game on port 2000, but the port 2001 test server works

3. Access for AOL players and others people on banned ISP's because of other troublemakers

To prevent abuse:

1. NO REFUNDS

2. Reserve the right to provide service or decline the service

3. Limit of 5 player names that can not be editted/changed (players who change their names will have to use another of their 5 slots for their new name).

4. No shared shared characters

5. Friends that are visiting you should have their own account, not use yours

6. Friends playing at other locations need their own account (you can't buy the service and add the name of 4 of your friends to the list to use the 5 names)

7. Moderators will have the option of closing your account on the EL Premium Proxy Services in extreme cases

8. No automated enrollment, I will have the chance to review who wants access before the service can be used. This would hurt if you have problems and don't already have an account.

9. All EL rules must be obey, trying to use this service to bypass the rules or hide what you are doing (like illegal multi) will result in losing the account without a refund.

10. Logs will be kept! We reserve the right to log more then just access for the purposes of preventing abuse of the system or EL rules!

11. A family can share a proxy account

Proposed fees:

$5 for five character names for a month

$30 for five character namess for a year

I'm worried about this game having too many servers. If there are a zillion servers like in many other games, people won't be able to see all their friends ingame. And one of the main reasons I play EL is because of its community. If only there was a way to allow people to talk to each other on different servers…*sighs* which is impossible. ;)

I'm worried about this game having too many servers. If there are a zillion servers like in many other games, people won't be able to see all their friends ingame. And one of the main reasons I play EL is because of its community. If only there was a way to allow people to talk to each other on different servers…*sighs* which is impossible. ;)

The service Learner is offering is a proxy to the main EL server. This means it purely routes you through Learner's server to the main EL server. It is not about adding more game-servers. Point number one in Learner's post explains this:

1. Access to main EL Game Server by accessing a different system. So if part of the internet is having problems, you might be able to get to the game server through the proxy. For example, in todays outage people could not reach the game server, but could post in the forums. Those people would have a good chance of using this service to get in.

As Placid said, this does not add another game server, but another system & IP address & multiple ports to choose from (in case some are blocked) which will connect you to the main EL server.

A proof of concept server will be available for people who don't have any EL access because of ports being blocked by the end of this month. This will be without any fancy features or web access.

Send me a forum PM including your character name, where you'll be playing from, and why you need the access to be considered getting access through the proof of concept server. Keep in mind that troublemakers or people who have had problems with Illegal Multi will not be considered for the testing.

I have had little to no connectivity problems over nearly three years, but at the same time I feel guilty not donating as little as $30 per year to EL out of my love for the game. I hope EL can stay free (because it's priceless :) ,) but I think all regular players should give something back without incentive.

Easy for me to say since I'm dirt poor, and the net is my only expense, but I intend to contribute what and when I can. Hmm... just had an idea, too......

As Placid said, this does not add another game server, but another system & IP address & multiple ports to choose from (in case some are blocked) which will connect you to the main EL server.

Oh, okay. I didn't really get the whole proxy thing, I guess. So if I understand correctly, this also means that if there is a problem with the actual server, it won't help, right?

Oh, okay. I didn't really get the whole proxy thing, I guess. So if I understand correctly, this also means that if there is a problem with the actual server, it won't help, right?

If there is a problem with the actual game server, this wont help. If there is a problem with your route to the game server, this could very well help (depending on where in the interenet the problem is). If you ISP or PC is blocking port 2000, this will help.

Alpha testing of the main program has started and some of the testers are showing good results.

Testers that have had accounts activated for 1 month, have been sent connection information via forum PM.

Sorry I won't pay, paying for the pk server is enough imo ;)

When this goes live, some of the ports will be directed to PK as well. But feel free to pay for the PK server if your limited on funds. The intent of the Premium Proxy Service is to provide alternate routes for people having connection problems or when a router breaks, not to take money away from EL/Entropy. I'll be happy just to break even on my hosting costs.

Sorry, i'm not paying anything

same here.

No problem, this is intended for those that are having problems and are willing to pay. Since it's not a new game, but another way to get to the current games, this is an optional add on that you can skip if you want.

There are now two servers available for authorized users, one in the UK, the other in France. In both cases only one hop on above.net is being used and TCP ping times of 5ms or less are common (the UK server sometimes is just over 5ms). Both are listening on port 443.

proxy1.other-life.com:443 (FR)

proxy2.other-life.com:443 (UK)

Some users (including me) are actually seeing a drop in #ping time by using these (I'm seeing 10ms-20ms less #ping). You're mileage may vary. Check the TCP ping to these servers and add 5-10ms, and then compare to game.eternal-lands.com to see if it would be lower for you.

Please note that not all unstable connections are fixed by using these proxy's. If the problem is close to you, the internet route to these proxy's might still go though the bad route/equipment.

:(

I don't understand why I want this?? The only benefit I see (for players anyway) is to be able to connect more often? I don't have trouble accessing the game, and if I did wouldn't it be the servers fault anyway? I believe in supporting the game but I just don't see too much of a benefit for the players.

I don't understand why I want this?? The only benefit I see (for players anyway) is to be able to connect more often? I don't have trouble accessing the game, and if I did wouldn't it be the servers fault anyway? I believe in supporting the game but I just don't see too much of a benefit for the players.

Some players DO have trouble accessing the game for whatever reason. The proxies give people another route to try, hopefully avoiding whatever trouble there is that is preventing them from playing. Clicky.

Edited by Rairor

Not all connection issues are the servers fault.

Examples:

* an above.net router goes down AGAIN causing resyncs or not allowing connections

* one of the transatlantic cables goes offline again, and you're getting routed through Asia and have a horrible ping time

* your ISP or where you play from blocks port 2000

* your AV s/w is blocking port 2000 and you're having problems stopping that despite the help threads in the forums

* your internet route to game.eternal-lands.com has a significantly higher ping time the the route through the proxy's due to verious reasons on the Internet and is affecting your play

* you're worried about any of the above and want to have a backup plan available just-in-case

As I've said before, this service is not for everyone and in some cases using the proxy might give you a worse connection if your route to the proxy or the route from the proxy is having issues. Having the two proxy's in EU available now improves the chances that when there are problems people will be able to use one of the three access points (either proxy or the game server) to get them in.

Is it actually up and running, i just paid $5 paypal, want to see how it works, or if it works, for me. I tried logging in with port 2000 and 2001 and could not so hoping a proxy will help. I am having no connectivity issues with my other games BUT I have to use alternate ports for each of them, my ISP hates MMORPG gamers and basically states they dont serve them, but it is the only reasonably fast internet service for where I live outside of town on a mountain overlooking the Pacific ocean....lucky I have internet at all....Also, I hope you will send info on how to connect to either my email address which you would have with my payment I think, but otherwise you can put in my messages here and it will go to my email that way....thanks.

~Y

Is it actually up and running, i just paid $5 paypal, want to see how it works, or if it works, for me. I tried logging in with port 2000 and 2001 and could not so hoping a proxy will help. I am having no connectivity issues with my other games BUT I have to use alternate ports for each of them, my ISP hates MMORPG gamers and basically states they dont serve them, but it is the only reasonably fast internet service for where I live outside of town on a mountain overlooking the Pacific ocean....lucky I have internet at all....Also, I hope you will send info on how to connect to either my email address which you would have with my payment I think, but otherwise you can put in my messages here and it will go to my email that way....thanks.

~Y

I'll be able to get you setup on my proxy tomorrow.

Setting up to connect via the proxy works similar to setting up to play on test:

Copy the desktop link, rightclick, select properties.

Set target to (it already knows it, just like test):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eternal Lands\el.exe" lrnr-main