Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Killerlamb

Changing tiles.

I'm trying to change the tiles in your little folder to the files that I want, but then when I load the editor it crashes. Any advice??? BTW: I'm using the same extension

Make sure that the BMP file has only 256 colors. Most programs producte 24-bit MBP files (65536 colors). EL can only use 256 colors per BMP file. Use PaintShop Pro. That worked for me :P Just colors->reduce depth to 256 and then file->save

That caused an EXTREME loss of colo(u)rs in like 2/3 of my chips!!

And it still did not work =( It loads now, but it doesn't show my original chips, just the default EL chips. I DID save it in the "Tiles" folder named tile1 FYI

256 colors is more then enough to get a good looking tile. What you need is a better paint program ot a better color reducer. I don't know what paint program you use but I suggest using PaintShop Pro. If you get version 7 it's like $50,- (don't get PSP 8! It s*cks like a succubus!)

Now, open up your 24bit BMP. Click color->reduce to 256 colors. There are a few settings to influence it's behaviour. First, set it to 'nearest color'. That way, it will prevent too much loss in colors.

Second: Make sure you do NOT use 'web safe colors' or 'include windows colors'. Those 2 options reduce your colors to the 'standard' windows GIF pallete and not to the best possible color.

If you use PhotoShop I am sure that the same options can be found there. Just stay away from cheap programs like MS-Paint and PhotoEditor.

If you still cannot get it to look okay, email me your tile and I will compress it for you.

One final note: do NOT save it as tile1.bmp. Look in the tiles folder for what the highest tile number is and go above that. The previous EL version had 21 tiles so make your tile tile22.bmp. Maybe the beta has more tiles though so check that first.