Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New client menu mock-up

I would like to have a client menu that serves two purposes:

1. Make it faster/easier to issue various commands, and not have to remember them all.

2. Add some new functionality to the game. For example, it would be nice to have a Summoned Behaviour menu, where you tell your summoned creatures how to act (if you want them to attack or not, for example).

This menu should be easy to use, contain a lot of features, and not take up the whole screen.

Those 3 things are mutually exclusive, so we'll need some intelligent suggestions about how this menu should look like. Using tabs is the obvious way, but maybe you have other ideas.

So if you know how to use Photoshop, Gimp, or some other image manipulation program, please make a mock-up of that menu, and post it here.

Also, let us know which commands you would like to be included in it.

Hmmm.

Well, do you mean sorta like the Skills tab, which has 'Skills' 'Knowledge' 'Quest Log' 'Session' etc, and have different things for the different tabs, like Summon behavouire for one, etc?

Curious because I can use PS, just not sure what sorta thing you mean/need.

yes i was thinking of something like that already : agressive / Passive pets.. or like set the summoned creature to only attack defined colored tags because when us, pkers go pk in team, we need to set allie to guilds otherwise our summons attack eachother ;x

I always thought having submenus for the icons along the bottom would be great. This could potentially remove one or two Icons that are on that bar.

I think Guild administration commands would be great to have in a GUI: set rank, accept, remove and set the short tag.

*not so good in gimp here, so I just post so someone else can use their skills :D*

2 menus:

colors (for the tags)

behavior

- att (attack all in that color)

- defend (if u get att then att that color)

- ignore (do never att them, no matter what)

Menus in the bottom of the screen. Having a summoned behaviour menu and maybe something that would help u to switch weapons and capes while fighting.

It would be nice if we could switch from shield and sword to SOM or even brod and bod and from mirror cape to red.

Also it would be nice if we could "lock" those icons and also the spells shortcuts, cause sometimes we all missclick.

Edit:To explain this better "Switch from 1 handed weapon to the first 2 handed weapon in your inventory at once"

Shortcut could be something like 1hw-2hw.

If we think the future it would be nice also to switch from swords to bows at once.

Edited by agis29

i think that an usefull all-pourpose thing can be this:

in chat or in market a double click on the name give un the possibility to pm to that person.

example in this mesge:

[Giove @ 3]: Greetings!

a double click on Giove generate a pm so:

/Giove

and the user can add is words..

bye

Giove

Here is my 2 cents...

Make a modable set of radio buttons...so if I click on one of my summoned characters, I can veiw/change it's mode...

say I summoned a BEAR ... I can keep him in defense mode, so he stays close to me (as I walk thru a pk'able area). He will only attack creatures that attack me (hence not attacking my Guildmates).

modein4.jpg

Once I am past the Pk'able area, I can put him into HUNT mode to go get me some bones!!!

Edited by jiminma50

Here is my 2 cents...

Make a modable set of radio buttons...so if I click on one of my summoned characters, I can veiw/change it's mode...

say I summoned a BEAR ... I can keep him in defense mode, so he stays close to me (as I walk thru a pk'able area).

modein4.jpg

Once I am past the Pk'able area, I can put him into HUNT mode to go get me some bones!!!

maybe this could be good, but the problem is that to have that space after the xp bar, u need to play in a resolution higher then 1024x700's and some of screens, like mine, can't do it :P

Edited by Kakuzu

I like the idea of menus like that, but it can go way beyond just summons.

If you wanted to do Just summons, you could have a quickbar for them.

I would only have the RADIO buttons appear if you CLICKED on one of your summoned creatures.

or

If you are about to summon a creature, the buttons appear.

I don't know how to summon, so I'm just giving others ideas that pop into my head. Another thought I just had...

How about before the name of your creature... have a modable icon... so if you summoned lots of creatures, you can change each one individually?

Ex.

[A] Black Bear (140/200) CEL (this is my BEAR in ATTACK mode)

now, I click on the A in his bar....and he becomes .....

[D] Black Bear (140/200) CEL (this is my BEAR in DEFEND mode)

Just, instead of the [A] or [D] ... use sword/shield icons.... I'm to lazy to make pictures right now LOL

(one more note...start NEWLY SUMMONED creatures in DEFEND mode..that way they stay close to you...and then you can send them into attack mode. Otherwise, you'll have to chase after your new creatures to put them into DEFEND mode)

Edited by jiminma50

About the commands, I think you could probably use the existing help menu's(Maybe categorized a bit better) to issue the commands. Just have them as links that would auto paste them into chat for you.

Well, I did some work, and came up with this:

ideazf5.jpg

#Edit - Inserted image.

Edited by Chosen

If I understood your wish correctly, best approach imo would be to implement something similar to system in MMO Entropia universe (www.entropiauniverse.com)

As it is free(at least to run around) best would be to download this client and see for yourself, if you havent already..

Generaly it consists of very versatile and flexible interface, meaning:

Separate, sort of archive book of all kinds of actions sorted by categories..

Another tool that allows you to rearrange icons from above mentioned archive book all over game "desktop" and do that in separate sets(optional).. It all works as literaly building blocks, everything visual with intuitive approach.. Same tool also allows you to assign same actions to on-screen keyboard, and make shortcuts that way.. Generaly interface of Entropia universe is imo something really unique in gaming world, both functionaly and visualy.. You should give it a try(if you havent) as I am not able to describe by words what actual doing can.. In case you would like a fast crash course, feel free to tell me(by mail) when and Ill be glad to help you browse it as fast as possible..

Cheers :P

If you did something like what Chosen pictured, it wouldn't have to be as big as screen. Ctrl-O (options) has numerous tabs and doesn't fill the screen

The idea is that some sections of this menu will be combat oriented, so it needs to take up as little space as possible.

I was also thinking of a menu similar to the one in many operating systems, where you have a "Start" button, and then you have different sections, and then it opens only the menu you really need.

#Edit - Forget this, I got the perfect idea. I'll start makiing it now.

Edited by Chosen

I thought that ent was talking for something like that.

elmixedwowjr7.jpg]Noobish sample[/url]

In smaller dimensions of course. Dont laugh with it plz :P

I was bored to use photoshop or gimp.

The window idea does look good, I think this would be useful for all key commands. To reduce the overall size of the window, have mini-icons instead of tabs, with on-hover words (that slowly players will learn) and commands listed in short in differing colours to make it easier to rush to a command.

Summoning functionality could be seperate, with an icon that shows status in the icon menu (abit like the sit and stand icon).

Sorry I didn't illustrate, maybe I'll work on it when I'm done what I'm doing.

Ok... here is a quick description of my SUMMONED idea...

Summoned creatures appear in DEFEND mode at first (red shield Icon)

Click on Icon to switch to ATTACK mode (red sword Icon)

summonedpbht9.jpg

I thought that ent was talking for something like that.

elmixedwowjr7.jpg]Noobish sample[/url]

In smaller dimensions of course. Dont laugh with it plz :wub:

I was bored to use photoshop or gimp.

rofl @ world of warcraft quickbar :P

@Kakuzu. Yeah what i did is called armed robbery. :P

Anyway the general idea is "use small icons instead of tabs" and the arrows can be used to bring in the surface shortcuts that u dont use so often, so u get extra space and extra functions.

I dont know if those things can be coded though.

I hope i gave some ideas.

Edited by agis29

20070812213752mj3.jpg

There should be a summoning icon on the bar with buttons on it. You click summoning and set stuff on the summoning window.

Agressive, the creature(s) you've summoned attacks animals/monsters on normal maps and animals/monsters/players on pk maps.

Hunt: The creature leaves you and searches around for opponents to attack (animals/monsters on normal maps and animals/monsters/players on pk maps.)

Hunt can only be clicked when the creature setting is agressive.

Stay, the creature stands on the same location and doesn't move.

Follow: The creature follows you just as the creatures you summon does.