Eternal Lands Official Forums
Usalfin

Market channel and Bots again, lol

Ok, I dont know if this has been suggested, I have looked thru the market channel suggestions and didn't see it.

I know that there has been talk about a different "Bot Channel" and I think that could work, but if the devs dont like it, how about making the bot chat a different color, so its easier to tell who are players, and who are bots. it drives me crazy when your posts are being drowned out by the bots, atleast if your text is a differnt color players my pay more attention to the players posts.I see alot of players put "I am not a bot" into there posts.

Bots could already colour their own messages, by inserting colour-control character into their text strings (assuming the server isn't stripping these out from client chat text?).

Bots could already colour their own messages, by inserting colour-control character into their text strings (assuming the server isn't stripping these out from client chat text?).

Nope, the server doesn't strip these out as many bots (mine included) use these colour codes for special things like new hour announcements in guild chat.

I think this idea would be good, but there is the possibility for abuse by the bot simple colouring its message the same as normal chat text. Unfortunatly I don't see a way around that, but I expect it would be a minimum and personally I think any bot that is trying to decieve us through something like that deserves to get ignored.

This would need to be added server-side, so hopefully Ent or Learner look favourably on this suggestion and implement it. :-)

This would need to be added server-side, so hopefully Ent or Learner look favourably on this suggestion and implement it. :-)

Why server side? If I can do it in GM without an issue (colorbyte) then why not in that channel? (Honest question)

I've wanted to color my bot market messages similar to my GM statements (killbots do this mainly)

but assumed I would get an instant ban of the bot for trying. I know from previous bot testing, the immediate

abuse of this will be, and easy to do. (Unless its considered ok )

Selling Cool Item for 100K

Well, I am for a common standard bot message color.

Edited by robotbob

This used to be a relatively common feature passed around ages ago when it was acceptable to customize your client (before thtat priviledge was abused then removed). However the rainbow effect and different colors spamming everywhere in moderator broadcasts and channel chat and local chat was quickly made illegal. I highly doubt it will be approved, unless it is one set standardized server controlled color, or possibly a bot-only coding feature. But I doubt people will be able to pick and choose. It didn't go over well the first time,...

I highly doubt it will be approved, unless it is one set standardized server controlled color

Definately a Standardized Server Controlled color, thats the only way to make everything fare.

I also liked the suggestion of making the player color more visible.

Edited by Usalfin

Why server side? If I can do it in GM without an issue (colorbyte) then why not in that channel? (Honest question)

There is (afaik) nothing to stop you doing it now. It's just that no-one does.

The reason it should be done server-side is so that it is standard. Otherwise, you will have too much confusion because most bots will follow the agreed "standard", but some bots won't be coded like that and so people will assume they are a real person etc. If the server checks the bot flag and sends the appropriate colourbyte then it would require people to actively code their bot to trick people, which could then be regulated.

I highly doubt it will be approved, unless it is one set standardized server controlled color, or possibly a bot-only coding feature.

Due to custom clients being illegal it already is a bot-only feature. However, the suggestion is that there should be a standard set, which I believe should be controlled by the server, so that it is a true standard.

The idea of sending colour codes on channels and local is not new - indeed way back when I first started client coding I learned very quickly about the colour code system. I even remember certain mods using my client to send #BCs with pretty colours :laugh:

The server strips out the colour codes from channels and local text and has for a very long time. I doubt that will change anytime soon, if at all.

As for the bots being given a different colour, I have no issues (no really I don't!) with this at all except for the suggestion that they should be a less prominent colour - they are different to players as opposed to worth less. Maybe just their name made a different colour in channel messages:

[Player1 @ 3]: Buying chicken wings by the bucket PM me

[Bot1 @ 3]: Selling chicken breasts [iNV/LOC/WANTED]

As a suggestion for the colour, how about the colour bot names are already (I am not running the client at the moment, but iirc it is one of the c_purplen colours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW for those that worried about my absence I should be back ingame tomorrow with my new 20Mb/second internet speeds :happy:

* Download an MP3 track in 2 seconds

* Download a full CD image in 5 minutes 50 seconds

* Download a full DVD image in 40 minutes

* Drive the entire EL community green with envy in one post

:brooding:

Hmmm. Maybe I was a little too vague on what I meant about a less prominent color. I believe the text of the Market Channel posts (bot AND player) should remain white. The name should be the colored portion.

The idea about Bot names being the purple is a good one. I would however suggest that player names should also be a non-white color (to differentiate from message text). Possibly green, or orange? Something noticeably different than the purple.

This might actually cause people to remove the bot's from #ignore since they could train their eyes to filter out the "purple" messages if they so desire.

[OT] Grats on the turbo speed Labby :brooding:

The server strips out the colour codes from channels and local text and has for a very long time. I doubt that will change anytime soon, if at all.

Ahhh. I haven't tested it (only #GM) so didn't know. It does make sense though given that ease of abuse.

Maybe just their name made a different colour in channel messages:

I would prefer the whole message to be a different colour (personally "dimmed") as it is much easier for your eyes to ignore different colours, rather than having to check the name before filtering. I am thinking of something similar to when you change active channels and the text changes from white to grey.

However, I can see how some would prefer just the name, so if only the name was changed I would happily code an option into the client to "dim" messages from bots (based on detecting the colour of the name). I believe this option would provide the different functionality people would like.

I think the bots name colour might still be a little too bright (and hence distracting) when surrounded by white and grey text.

As for the rest of your post... I'm going to ignore it you dirty rat. :-P

I would prefer the whole message to be a different colour (personally "dimmed") as it is much easier for your eyes to ignore different colours, rather than having to check the name before filtering. I am thinking of something similar to when you change active channels and the text changes from white to grey.

Meh my inactive channels still have white text, only the names dim to grey.

And just a note about colored chat in channels/wherever, the reason we don't do it now is because radu/roja didn't like it at all when we were using it before. I would expect this would apply to bots in public channels as well. Just a thought for when you all are planning on the standard color, you are probably best off making it subtle.

Meh my inactive channels still have white text, only the names dim to grey.

Hmmmmm... that's possible I guess. I don't really remember. Been a while since I actually "played" EL. :-P

The new sounds will be funky though!

For those willing to do a bit of work, it's possible to do the above right now by defining entries in your global_filters.txt file for each bot name. I already do that now for my own name so any PMs to me or GMs with my name in them are displayed in red to make them easier to spot.

For those willing to do a bit of work, it's possible to do the above right now by defining entries in your global_filters.txt file for each bot name. I already do that now for my own name so any PMs to me or GMs with my name in them are displayed in red to make them easier to spot.

now you have my full attention o_0

hope it is allowed to do that tho cuz i would really like to know how it works g005.gif

now you have my full attention o_0

hope it is allowed to do that tho cuz i would really like to know how it works

Well it can't possibly be disallowed because there are no client changes, and it uses an already existing game feature (Global Filter under the Misc tab in the configuration window). The feature is intended to filter swear words. I simply moved the shipped global_filters.txt file and replaced it with my own.

In principal it's trivial - create rules that adds a color code for key strings. For example, here are a couple entries from my file:

bkc56 = *bkc56

bkc = *bkc

Where the '*' is replaced with a hex code for a color (red in my case). And that's the tricky part, how can you generate the non-ascii non-printable codes for the colors in your editor to put in the file. But if you can, you can see how you could easily color-code all the sales bot's names by making an entry for each one. You could even give your favorite bots a different color that the rest of them (if you haven't simply put them on #ignore).

So let's try something, shall we?

A simply test showed that I could copy/paste from my global_filter.txt file to the forum and back again. So here are two color test lines from my file:

ctest1 = [0x8x]€0011‚22ƒ33„44…55†66‡77ˆ88‰99Šaa‹bbŒccddŽeeff

ctest2 = [0x9x]00‘11’22“33”44•55–66—77˜88™99šaa›bbœccddžeeŸff

Add those two lines to your global_filters.txt file, restart your client, turn on Global Filters, and PM yourself the word ctest1 (or 2). If it works (if the color codes didn't get lost/filtered along the way), you'll get the right-hand side in various colors. Then given the principal of what to do, and the above color codes, one SHOULD be able to create their own color coding.

Disclaimer: this is an unsupported trick that should only be used by those who can edit a file without hurting themselves. If your client crashes on a PM/GM, you should turn off Global Filters and continue on your way. Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

thanks alot i figured everything important out with your help. this is really handy since im mainly in a

huge pm hell so i can filter out the "VIP" from teh "n44bs" ^^

thank you again =)

#EDIT: just a side question.. any way i can put the color back to normal after coloring the name? cuz i only want to have names highlightes not the rest of text, putting it to white again of course colores the gm and pm chat white as well which looks a bit sucky..

Edited by Scorpius

#EDIT: just a side question.. any way i can put the color back to normal after coloring the name? cuz i only want to have names highlightes not the rest of text, putting it to white again of course colores the gm and pm chat white as well which looks a bit sucky..

As it sounds like you figured out, you can put a color after the name mapping, but there's no way to know WHAT to change it back to (blue, white, something else). There's nothing like a color to set, /color to restore.

I like having the entire line colored as it stands out better. Also, the mapping in the channel tag (like for coloring bot names on @3) does NOT carry over into the content text (there must be a client inserted color in there somewhere).

I got round to creating the file for all the bots on Sphere's list (thanks Sphere and his contributors :confused:)

So far missing from Sphere's list:

Atomship - trade

Miria - trade

Sava - trade

Copy and paste this into your global_filters.txt file in the EL folder, enable global filters (enabled by default anyway) (options window, Misc tab, [X] Global Filter then restart EL

Aage @ = ‹Aage @ 
Aage] = ‹Aage]
Adarah @ = ‹Adarah @ 
Adarah] = ‹Adarah]
Achaja @ = ‹Achaja @ 
Achaja] = ‹Achaja]
aeryn @ = ‹aeryn @ 
aeryn] = ‹aeryn]
Agneum @ = ‹Agneum @ 
Agneum] = ‹Agneum]
Angeline @ = ‹Angeline @ 
Angeline] = ‹Angeline]
Astronomy @ = ‹Astronomy @ 
Astronomy] = ‹Astronomy]
Atomship @ = ‹Atomship @ 
Atomship] = ‹Atomship]
Azdora @ = ‹Azdora @ 
Azdora] = ‹Azdora]
Bazzy @ = ‹Bazzy @ 
Bazzy] = ‹Bazzy]
Bene @ = ‹Bene @ 
Bene] = ‹Bene]
Blondine @ = ‹Blondine @ 
Blondine] = ‹Blondine]
busy @ = ‹busy @ 
busy] = ‹busy]
C2_Trader @ = ‹C2_Trader @ 
C2_Trader] = ‹C2_Trader]
Charn @ = ‹Charn @ 
Charn] = ‹Charn]
ClamCake @ = ‹ClamCake @ 
ClamCake] = ‹ClamCake]
CrazyGirl @ = ‹CrazyGirl @ 
CrazyGirl] = ‹CrazyGirl]
DaisyGirl @ = ‹DaisyGirl @ 
DaisyGirl] = ‹DaisyGirl]
Emporium @ = ‹Emporium @ 
Emporium] = ‹Emporium]
EvilsHalo @ = ‹EvilsHalo @ 
EvilsHalo] = ‹EvilsHalo]
Fame_Store @ = ‹Fame_Store @ 
Fame_Store] = ‹Fame_Store]
Freya @ = ‹Freya @ 
Freya] = ‹Freya]
GreyStar @ = ‹GreyStar @ 
GreyStar] = ‹GreyStar]
Honor @ = ‹Honor @ 
Honor] = ‹Honor]
idle @ = ‹idle @ 
idle] = ‹idle]
JMart @ = ‹JMart @ 
JMart] = ‹JMart]
Karlin @ = ‹Karlin @ 
Karlin] = ‹Karlin]
LA_Deals @ = ‹LA_Deals @ 
LA_Deals] = ‹LA_Deals]
Lady_Legend @ = ‹Lady_Legend @ 
Lady_Legend] = ‹Lady_Legend]
Lilandra @ = ‹Lilandra @ 
Lilandra] = ‹Lilandra]
Lord_Legend @ = ‹Lord_Legend @ 
Lord_Legend] = ‹Lord_Legend]
Luxe @ = ‹Luxe @ 
Luxe] = ‹Luxe]
Magellan @ = ‹Magellan @ 
Magellan] = ‹Magellan]
Mattamus @ = ‹Mattamus @ 
Mattamus] = ‹Mattamus]
Meep_Meep @ = ‹Meep_Meep @ 
Meep_Meep] = ‹Meep_Meep]
Miria @ = ‹Miria @ 
Miria] = ‹Miria]
MonkeySoup @ = ‹MonkeySoup @ 
MonkeySoup] = ‹MonkeySoup]
Narai @ = ‹Narai @ 
Narai] = ‹Narai]
Nera @ = ‹Nera @ 
Nera] = ‹Nera]
Oyster @ = ‹Oyster @ 
Oyster] = ‹Oyster]
Paladina @ = ‹Paladina @ 
Paladina] = ‹Paladina]
Passion @ = ‹Passion @ 
Passion] = ‹Passion]
Peaceful @ = ‹Peaceful @ 
Peaceful] = ‹Peaceful]
Pepa @ = ‹Pepa @ 
Pepa] = ‹Pepa]
Pigi @ = ‹Pigi @ 
Pigi] = ‹Pigi]
Richery @ = ‹Richery @ 
Richery] = ‹Richery]
Safe @ = ‹Safe @ 
Safe] = ‹Safe]
Salt @ = ‹Salt @ 
Salt] = ‹Salt]
Sava @ = ‹Sava @ 
Sava] = ‹Sava]
Shari @ = ‹Shari @ 
Shari] = ‹Shari]
Shedevil @ = ‹Shedevil @ 
Shedevil] = ‹Shedevil]
ShopRite @ = ‹ShopRite @ 
ShopRite] = ‹ShopRite]
ShrimpTaco @ = ‹ShrimpTaco @ 
ShrimpTaco] = ‹ShrimpTaco]
SilverLeaf @ = ‹SilverLeaf @ 
SilverLeaf] = ‹SilverLeaf]
Taliesin @ = ‹Taliesin @ 
Taliesin] = ‹Taliesin]
Tensai @ = ‹Tensai @ 
Tensai] = ‹Tensai]
Thor @ = ‹Thor @ 
Thor] = ‹Thor]
Titanta @ = ‹Titanta @ 
Titanta] = ‹Titanta]
Trader @ = ‹Trader @ 
Trader] = ‹Trader]
Vakana @ = ‹Vakana @ 
Vakana] = ‹Vakana]
Vooten @ = ‹Vooten @ 
Vooten] = ‹Vooten]
WeaselTurd @ = ‹WeaselTurd @ 
WeaselTurd] = ‹WeaselTurd]
Flying_Cow @ = ‹Flying_Cow @ 
Flying_Cow] = ‹Flying_Cow]
EternalBroker @ = ‹EternalBroker @ 
EternalBroker] = ‹EternalBroker]
EternalTrivia @ = ‹EternalTrivia @ 
EternalTrivia] = ‹EternalTrivia]
Gossip @ = ‹Gossip @ 
Gossip] = ‹Gossip]
Prattler @ = ‹Prattler @ 
Prattler] = ‹Prattler]
Rraisa @ = ‹Rraisa @ 
Rraisa] = ‹Rraisa]
Speaker @ = ‹Speaker @ 
Speaker] = ‹Speaker]
TrinityBot @ = ‹TrinityBot @ 
TrinityBot] = ‹TrinityBot]
Treasurer @ = ‹Treasurer @ 
Treasurer] = ‹Treasurer]
TinkerBelle @ = ‹TinkerBelle @ 
TinkerBelle] = ‹TinkerBelle]
Vakana @ = ‹Vakana @ 
Vakana] = ‹Vakana]
7of9 @ = ‹7of9 @ 
7of9] = ‹7of9]
Citrine @ = ‹Citrine @ 
Citrine] = ‹Citrine]
Corpus @ = ‹Corpus @ 
Corpus] = ‹Corpus]
Deadbeef @ = ‹Deadbeef @ 
Deadbeef] = ‹Deadbeef]
Kathkusa @ = ‹Kathkusa @ 
Kathkusa] = ‹Kathkusa]
KnightofLegend @ = ‹KnightofLegend @ 
KnightofLegend] = ‹KnightofLegend]
MadaM @ = ‹MadaM @ 
MadaM] = ‹MadaM]
Mufo @ = ‹Mufo @ 
Mufo] = ‹Mufo]
Perun @ = ‹Perun @ 
Perun] = ‹Perun]
POLtergeist @ = ‹POLtergeist @ 
POLtergeist] = ‹POLtergeist]
PoOkS @ = ‹PoOkS @ 
PoOkS] = ‹PoOkS]
QuiM @ = ‹QuiM @ 
QuiM] = ‹QuiM]
Rafik @ = ‹Rafik @ 
Rafik] = ‹Rafik]
SigSegV @ = ‹SigSegV @ 
SigSegV] = ‹SigSegV]

Edited by LabRat

All looks well except for maybe a control(?) char(s) showing up before each colored name.

Example:

â¹Taliesin @ 3]: Selling: 105 leather (8gc each), 5 raw meat (5.5gc each), 120 potions of spirit restoration (15gc each), PM me for other items!

Could be my editor or something.... Gedit running under Ubuntu. <CR><LF> vs \n maybe?

Just posting it in case anyone else has the same issue. The answer will probably follow from myself or someone quicker to the draw ;-)

All good, if not possible, cant there be a way to just ignore names on channels, and not in pm.

I keep ignoring/unignoring.