Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
majestyk

Locked by radu

Hi,

today I was booted by radu and since then can't log in. I did violate the game rule #20 (Illegal Client) and assume that this is the reason, so I'd like to explain what I did, and why.

What I did was that I added a keyboard shortcut to trigger the same function as a click on the "mix all" button would do. The reason I did this is so that I could chat easier during those hours of mindless mixing, since I just had to use the mouse when transfering goods from/to storage, and could otherwise keep both hands on the keyboard. Being rooted in the linux world with both feet, avoiding mouse usage whenever possible is something I strive for. I did not do this to aid my character development or game success in any way, just for added convenience for the player behind the keyboard.

Now, all that is left for me is to humbly ask to be unlocked again, and to beg that you take the severity of this modification into account when you consider my plea.

Sincerely,

majestyk

Radu,

I don't want to make the impression that I am denying anything, but I can't think of what you are referring to. I do participate in the "Programming" section occassionaly, but I can't remember talking with you about clients there. I did a forum search for my postings in the last 60 days, and I couldn't spot something either, and I also can't remember any chat even more in the past.

If you refer to in-game chat - I can't remember even one real conversation with you (more than just "hi" and "bye"), and even the last time I said hi to you was probably when the hydro ore was added to the game. I do also occasionally comment on your blog, but never about that topic, and I didn't comment at all in the last time. I sincerely don't think it was me you had that chat with.

Yours faithfully,

majestyk

I clearly remember telling someone about their modified client a few weeks ago.. but I guess it asn't you.

On the other hand, isn't there an already existing shortcut where you can assign a key for the mix window? Without a mdified client, I mean.

(Posting under exception #2)

On the other hand, isn't there an already existing shortcut where you can assign a key for the mix window? Without a mdified client, I mean.
I'm pretty sure there isn't, and I assumed there wouldn't be, since a keypress is easier to macro than mouse-clicks (not by a lot, sure, but a bit). I'm unsure if a keypress using a modifier key would be that much easier on the hands than mouse-clicking, but if you want there to be a shortcut for mixing, I'll add one when I work on the keyhandling code.

Thank you for clarifying, ttlanhil. Considering me being (at most) an amateur at C it might have well been my own failure to notice that it was already there. I was using Alt-Space to trigger mix-all, and trust me, after a while it becomes natural to use it while chatting.

If you think this would be a nice feature for the client I'd gladly submit the patch to berlios if you want to have it.

Because I was trying to phrase a forum posting. I started FE mixing, switched to the other terminal with a text file open, switched back after a while. It also took a couple of seconds of plain wondering (or shock) reading your PMs until I fully realized what happened. I wasn't ever booted or banned before, so it was a bit of a surprise.

When mixing FEs, I usually use fruit and toadstools, pushing food level up to 55, then start mix-all, and if I get lucky they mix without interruption. And although I chat a lot, I am not constantly chatting, so occassionally it takes a few seconds to notice when something happens. Actually, isn't that a good sign? Humans get distracted, they need to eat, go to the toilet, answer a phone call or IM messages ... if I had automated it, it would surely have tried to reconnect at once, or not?

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them. There is nothing left to tell which I would be ashamed of.

Actually, most of the macroes do not try to connect right away after being banned.

Anyway, after looking at my logs, I determined that it s likely that you are saying the truth, so I will unban you when I get home, if you promise to never do that again.