Eternal Lands Official Forums
Tsakonas

Multiplayer cheating

In my opinion it should stay as it is at the moment. Rules are for people to follow them. If they don't, they will most probably get caught earlier or later and will met a punishment.

if a cheater can build a macro, he can also find away around this:/

Not that it matters much, but I think this suggestion lacks understanding of how many people play the game (within the defined rules), and lacks technical understanding to know that htis would not work.

There are VALID cases for running 2+ EL windows (think testing on the test server), or LEGAL Multiplay as mentioned previously.

You would be punishing LEGAL multiplayers who do not have multiple computers, and Illegal multiplayers will just use another system, or use application virtualization, or a source hack, or a binary patch created by another player.

You would be requiring testers on the test server to use multiple computers to to sync up schedules with others to test new game features if they did not have an additional computers that meet the hardware specs to test those features.

Please, just leave the cheat detection to the moderators. In my opinion they do an excellent job of keeping out cheaters, and have moderated with mercy for those who promised to no longer cheat. Whatever system they use to handle this now is working IMO, and adding code to block legitimite use reminds me of DRM and the (MP|RI)AA. I don't think it matches the spirit of those who run this game.

I think the best suggestion to stop illegal and legal cheating is the one client limit for each pc.
But how you detect that ? How did you implement checking if another cileint is alerady runing on my computer when I start second, or 5 of them ?

Assume that cheater is not completly idiot and runing el from linux (or any other system but not windows)

He can run those elclients as differnet users (have many acounts in his system) each on different instance of xserwer and/or window menager, active machanisms like in cgsecurity so one user's proces can't see proceses of another user and also he can use chroot to protect against lockfiles detection.

If you dont know what are linux, proces, xserwer, chroot, just ask ill try to explain.

But believe me there is no way to check such thing on multiacount systems when clients are run as different users.

So you will repress only windows users or you will delegalise all other systems ?

The rules are there for a reason. So before you come and give us another idea about how to stop cheaters, please get a full translation and READ them. Thanks. :/

I agree with Orick very good idea Orick.

The patch is a very good suggestion to find who is honest and play multi-character with the legal way and also will help the mods to find who are the cheaters who hide behind the honest players.

Nobody can say that is useless,nothing before test it.The logic says first we test something and them we see if it is useless or not.Without testing we dont know.What we will loose if we try it(one client for each pc and the idea of Orick.)Most the cheaters will loose from it the honest players have nothing to afraid.

If you want to stop yourself from cheating, I propose you run EL using this batch file (no client modification needed, totally untested ;)):

@echo off

if exist %temp%\el exit

@echo date /t > %temp%\el

start c:\el.exe

del /q %temp%\el

exit

;)