Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eagleprince

My maps have holes [SOLVED]

I seem to disappear into the ground when walking in certain maps. IP and VotD come to mind, but there are probably otheres. In fact, during that invasion on peace day, one of the cycs fell into a 'hole' by the river and was buried up to its neck! - and no, I'm not kidding!

Is this a client issue of is it a graphics issue on my side?

I never had such troubles until the current client version, and FPS has actually improved, and I have no other issues with the game.

System spec:

Zenwalk Linux 4.6 (Slackware based)

Machine: AMD Sempron 2800+ machine with 1 Gig RAM.

Graphics: ATI Radeon 9550 with 256MB.

This usually happens because of reinstalling your old maps folder (with downloaded maps not included in the official download) from your old EL folder to your new one.

I would suggest you reinstall (a new clean reinstall) and not transfer anything into it or download any new maps and see if you have the same problem.

Hi again,

I did re-install the client and so far no problems. Having said that, I've been on irillion since then, but I will go for a walk on IP and VotD and see if the issues are gone.

In any case, it should be safe to close this thread.

Thanks for your help.

EP

UPDATE

Standing at 42,94 in IP, I then walked to 46,96. Between those two points, my char disappeared.

Same results starting from 71,22 and walking to 74,14 in VotD. The hole itself seems to be located at 72,22. This was with a clean install.

Edited by EaglePrince

Tested on linux (Slackware 11.0): there are no holes in the map.

_Afaik_ the only reason for holes in the map is that you have the wrong .elm files: are you sure that #data_dir is pointing to the right dir with the new installation and not to the old one? (if you kept the old install too)

Tested on linux (Slackware 11.0): there are no holes in the map.

_Afaik_ the only reason for holes in the map is that you have the wrong .elm files: are you sure that #data_dir is pointing to the right dir with the new installation and not to the old one? (if you kept the old install too)

hmmm.... I think Theryndan has given me the answer. :)

I deleted my ~/EL folder completely and unzipped the client into my home folder (subsequently renaming el_install to EL). However, my ~/.elc folder would still be intact, which is probably the problem. I think I should have nuked that as well. I'm pretty sure that's the problem, and I will do that when I get back from work.

Sorry for wasting your time. I should have figured that out myself.

EP.

I can confirm that removing the ~/.elc folder and reinstalling EL fixed it. So it looks like I somehow had some corrupt files.

Thanks for your time.

EP