Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mugwump

Client only opens in Full Screen and crashes at log on [SOLVED]

I thought a search might find this one but no luck. Anyway, it's the first real problem I've had so far :icon13:

I have switched computers from a WinXP machine with ATI 16mb graphics card to a Win98 machine with Nvidia TNT 32mb card. Yesterday I managed to load WinXP on the new machine and after installing the client, EL only opens in full screen and disappears upon login or character creation.

System is WinXP Home (still re-downloading SP2) with P3 and 320 RAM and NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 card. When this machine was running Win98, EL played like gangbusters! The screen resolution was adjustable no problem although I never tried full screen. I downloaded the drivers for the card in the Win98 category at the time.

Now with WinXP, the Nvidia XP drivers aren't compatible but the 98 ones work fine with everything else:wacko: I have played with the settings in el.ini with no results, they were originally set normally. I have even tried installing different downloads of the 1.40 client with no difference.

The splash screen info has nothing related to resolution, just the usual complaints about my low-end graphics card (and some atrocious grammar :omg:) I can post a screenie once I get my FTP program loaded. The error log seems to have nothing related either. I do recall on my old XP machine with the rock-bottom ATI card this was the reaction I would get whenever I tried full screen mode. A half-second of black, then desktop (or whatever window was open.)

Anything familiar here?

I'm betting on the SP2 or the proper driver, or the combination of the two..... but I wanna play now!! :):bangwall:

Getting SP2 and the latest DirectX and the latest drivers would likely help.

A P3 system with 320MB RAM is not a gaming machine though, but with some luck you should be able to play once all things are downloaded and in place.

My advice is to wait until you have updated everything and then start considering yourself with EL.

Thanks Derin! I will just have to be patient :)

It's taking forever to download SP2 on dial-up. Thanks for reminding me about DirectX, too. I know thats old :P

I'll post the results.

It really should have nothing to do with DirectX at all. The client effectively uses the "competition" (OpenGL), and SDL's design of compatability across platforms also lends itself to shying away from proprietory libs.

If on the other hand it does have something to do with your DirectX version, I'd love to know. :-)

You can select the video mode & resolution in EL.ini. Perhaps enabling poor_man, as well as ensuring the data_dir is set correctly; is the first place to start.

I have the same problem.

I've played the game on this PC before, but only in windowed mode...it was fine.

Now i reinstalled windows and installed the game again. It starts in full screen and crashes. Is there a way to make it windowed without logging in. I tried alt+Enter and i tried modifying el.ini

....nothing works ;)

HALP ME

I have the same problem.

I've played the game on this PC before, but only in windowed mode...it was fine.

Now i reinstalled windows and installed the game again. It starts in full screen and crashes. Is there a way to make it windowed without logging in. I tried alt+Enter and i tried modifying el.ini

....nothing works ;)

HALP ME

Are you sure you have all the updates for your windows system, especially the latest drivers for your graphics card.

almost sure..

anyways don't worry ill be able to sit on my pc from 2moro (on parents' pc right now) 1 day without EL won't hurt that much...i hope :laugh:;)

almost sure..

anyways don't worry ill be able to sit on my pc from 2moro (on parents' pc right now) 1 day without EL won't hurt that much...i hope :laugh:;)

"almost" just wont cut it. Get the latest drivers for your graphics card. And post your card and the version of the drivers for it.

I have the same problem.

....nothing works :laugh:

HALP ME

Are you sure you have all the updates for your windows system, especially the latest drivers for your graphics card.

dont worry about it ;)

All fixed in my case! Just had the new high speed fiber optics hooked up today :D:brooding::hehe:

This allowed me to finally download SP2 (which did not help) and in turn, I could load the Nvidia drivers. Everything all at once!

One important note. I had no luck with the drivers from the Nvidia site. The XP driver program stated I had the wrong hardware, the Win98 drivers worked but the problem continued. What did work was updating the driver from Device Manager with the MS wizard and the internet activated. I guess it sucked the driver program up from MicroSoft, but it's a completely different driver setup with its own software and it cured everything!

Thought I'd add that in case it helps anyone else. I never thought it would work :omg: