Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Peach

Harry potter

who have read it? i have... what did you think about it? it r the greatest among all :)

post your feelings and discuss about the book here! :medieval:

I am on page 543 at the moment, and it is not what I would class as a book I find hard to put down. It reads a bit predictably, and jumps between events a little too randomly for me.

Not worth all the hype surrounding it, and it is quite a thin book compared to some of the others in the series.

People say it is dark, personally I think it is pretty poorly written, she saw dollar (pound) signs in front of her eyes and churned out the first thing that came into her head.

"I know if I complete the story I won't have to write any more and I can live on the income from it because I know there are millions of suckerspeople out there that really need to know if the hero can truly win against the villain"

I have to disagree with labrat. I couldn't put it down, and I read with in 8 hours of it being released (I got it about 1:30 am).

I liked this book the best, especially the Hogwarts section of it. That was definetly my fav.

I'm on vacation so i haven't been able to buy it yet :(

i hope to read it soon, i liked the other ones a lot, especially the 5th and 6th.

ye, the final battle is really good... it took me 3 days to read it coz i had to share with my cousin and when he went to bed, i take the book and read untill 4 am :(

Just curious... is this the last book? I figured it was, but I would like to be sure.

For the books, I have read up to The Goblet of Fire. The new one, I havn't yet wanted to dish $20 for it, I may as well wait for a bit when the library gets it, and everyone else has read the book, I stand no chance on being the first to get it :(

But yes, I agree with Labrat on the money side... Although, I LOVE Harry Potter :cry:

While I overall loved the book (esp the last 150 pages) I agree that the beggining was a bit jumpy. It was also unbalanced- how much of it did they spend camping and not really doing anything? But overall I thought it was great, and I think that she tied everything up as best as she could have.

Yes, Malfoy VS Potter was excellent. I also truely loved Snape's conflict with Potter!

Although, all that I have read/seen, I enjoy the first best. The first normally is always the best. But, I have also come acrossed a few times where a sequal is better.

Edited by Lexi

Bought it yesterday, and I'm about halfway through. Perhaps I still have to read the best bits, but so far I think it's not the best book in the series. Definitely not the worst either, though, it's right behind the first and the sixth books which are my favorites. I'm going to read the rest tonight.

Owned :wacko: .

Anyhow, I haven't started reading it yet (I have better books to read first). IMO, the storyline was designed to be a commercial machine mixing school and magic. People can relate to school and then they get a blast out of being able to relate to fantasy characters. JK Rowling is certianly NOT a good writer, sure she might appeal to kids and adults with her idea but you can't call her an Inkling.

If you want to read her badly go ahead, but don't take her as a good writer or as an inspiration.

The inspiration part comes in due to the fact that she was a young, single mom raising three kids on her own, destitute and dependant on social services to barely get by, and she came up with an idea 17 years ago, that has now made her one of the most wealthy women in the world.

She didn't wallow in poverty and allow the system to support her, she had a dream, and worked for it, and made it happen.

in the local newspaper someone finshed reading the book in 47 minutes and 1 second :wacko: how?? :)

Sparhawk, have you read any of the Harry Potter books?

Yes, all but the latest book. Although, I read mostly high end writers that have very good writing abilities and themes.

Mordecai Richler

1931-2001 was a Canadian writer who was best known for his hard views on contemporary Canada and were the source for his satire in his novels. Best known works:The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Barney's Version, Jacob two-two

Michael Ondaatje

1943- is a Sri-Lankan/Canadian writer who is best known for his non linear style of writing which collects certain parts of events making them memorable. Best known works: The English Patient, In the Skin of a Lion and Anils Ghost.

Guy_Gavriel_Kay

1954- is a Canadian writer in which most of his books are based on real events and then transformed to resemble them and yet be extremely original and fantasy. Best Known works: The Fionavar Tapestry, Tigana, The lions of Al-Rassan and worked with Christopher Tokien editting the Simillaron.

Robert Jordan

1948- is an American writer best known for his writing of the Wheel of Time series (Note: I do not consider him to be as good as the above)

Khaled Hosseini

1965- is an Afghanistani American writer best known for publishing the first novel in english from an Afghanistani writer. Best Known works: The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns

Frank Herbert

1920-1988 was an American writer best known for writing the most succesful literary science fiction novel. Best known works: The Dune Saga.

Writing down these writers who I look up to and read I realize that perhaps I am harsh on Rowling. She is the only writer of her caliber I have ever read and this perhaps draws me to compare her to the people stated above and I see that that is not fair on her. While I do not think she is at the level of those writers she is talented and has had a good idea, it would be interesting to see if she can get better at writing.

Edit: Man, I read my posts from an old hp convo. I noticed that I was very vehement agianst JK and also that my grammer made me look like a newb :wacko: . Funny how as the books progressed and how I've aged my view has become much more mellowed.

Edited by sparhawk

So guys.. this topic was to talk about the new book, not to cause friction because you don't like Harry Potter or think JK Rowling is a bad author. If you don't like it, don't comment. If you do make a controversial comment, you are just being immature. So take it ingame guys.. jeez.

Edit: And to sparhawk. A good author can get the reader lost in the world they created from their own imagination. JK Rowling did a great job with it, and youth as well as adults can relate.

Edited by Acelon

And to sparhawk. A good author can get the reader lost in the world they created from their own imagination. JK Rowling did a great job with it, and youth as well as adults can relate.

Agreed, I had felt the sway of her ideas in her books and felt myself feel slighty in the story. While she may not be a great writer her ideas and feeling come out strong and she can do as you say. Thus is makes it a natural commercial idea (note: I am not saying that the idea was made to sell, but I am saying that it does sell on its own accord). It would be interesting to see if she can create new ideas that do not fall under being commercial because of the success of this series. If she can continue her drive and become better at writing she perhaps still has a chance to create long lasting stories, which I believe Harry Potter does not have.

My goal is to be an honest witness in my time and place, and to write at least one book that would be read after my death.
- Mordecai Richler

And to sparhawk. A good author can get the reader lost in the world they created from their own imagination. JK Rowling did a great job with it, and youth as well as adults can relate.

Agreed, I had felt the sway of her ideas in her books and felt myself feel slighty in the story. While she may not be a great writer her ideas and feeling come out strong and she can do as you say. Thus is makes it a natural commercial idea (note: I am not saying that the idea was made to sell, but I am saying that it does sell on its own accord). It would be interesting to see if she can create new ideas that do not fall under being commercial because of the success of this series. If she can continue her drive and become better at writing she perhaps still has a chance to create long lasting stories, which I believe Harry Potter does not have.

My goal is to be an honest witness in my time and place, and to write at least one book that would be read after my death.
- Mordecai Richler

If I understood her biography correctly, it is much as shallara said, Rowling was poor with a daughter, and had inspiration for a book. She wrote the book, and then sent it to a publisher where the rights were sold to scholastic. So no, I do not think there is much chance the books were written to be sold, although she is not poor anymore if you get my meaning :hug:

in the local newspaper someone finshed reading the book in 47 minutes and 1 second :D how?? :)

I bet it is some sort of a scanner :P

Finished the book yesterday night :D Amazing end it is, enjoyed the fact that dumbledore and snape had everything planned.

nope person who did it was a real person, not a scanner lol....

i read it and finshed it saturday night... didnt think the people who died would have done...

poor 'Ted' x_x

ye the ending is great but i am really sad that so many ppl died :) and i am also sad coz there will be no more harry potter books to read :P

Ok, I finished it, and am still not overly impressed.

I felt that Harry Potter turned into a James Bond supervillain at the end, explaining exactly why everything the other side had done was wrong, and how things should have been different. Me? I'd have just zapped him while he was yapping on, and just left a pair of smoking boots.

I finished the book few days ago, 45 mins and 1 sec is just crazy... Guess this person just skipped everything and just read the end of the book :D)

I liked the complete book, only i must admit that i share the feeling that, in the end, Harry was indeed put as a new James Bond, but then again, kids these days like a hero, they think Harry is a hero, so why don't make harry the new Superman i guess...

The end was just something she put in, i guess, for those which wanted to know what happened with harry after all this, i read some forums about harry potter and saw a lot of people say: "i hope harry will become an auror, i hope he stays with Ginny" etc etc..

So every kid can be pleased now :))

I do hope the dutch version comes out soon tho, i did understand the complete story, but it's always "nicer" to read something in ur own language.

I never really got why Harry was so much better that Voldemort. I mean, he curses people, he has lots of people willing to give their lives for him, he kills a man. Just because everyone thinks he's so great doesn't mean he is. I would personally prefer to see him die to Voldy and have everyone weeping over him. IMO, Rowling should have made more of a distinction between 'good' and 'evil'. Because that distinction really isn't there, I feel very little sympathy for Potter.

And yet, this isn't a story that makes you wonder if Harry is better than Voldemort. You are just supposed to assume he is.

Edited by draegox