Eternal Lands Official Forums
adko

?

Imo giving the advice to someone to uninstall his firewall while he doesn't even know how to do it is ridiculous. Firewalls aren't needed if you know what you are doing, but since he doesn't know how to uninstall a piece of software I don't think he's capable to run a pc safely without some help of a firewall.

It's the easiest way for sure, but not the best.

Firewalls are not some "wonder invention" as everyone is brainwashed to think.

All they do is stop people connecting to your PC remotely, which doesn't happen as much as the sellers of firewalls would have us believe.

My PCs do not have a firewall, I have a good number of open services and for some reason my computer never gets hacked.

I am on a very good cable connection, and people port scan me regularly trying to find vulnerabilities. I don't worry about the probes as I have , and the fact that I have no firewall increases my overall system responsiveness, internet browsing and available resources.

I have been employed in IT for a good number of years, and have yet to be hacked. That is not an open challenge, just a fact. Way back when Windows allowed remote netbios browsing I "played around" shall we say, but these days it takes jumping through hoops to even get Windows to allow internet connections to connect to your shares.

I know (and have worked on) UK government computers that are connected to the internet that don't have firewalls.

All that is offtopic though, uninstalling a firewall is perfectly safe. Media frenzy is the main reason people rely on them - after all what about the Millennium Bug, every Friday the 13th and other headline grabbing effort they use to sell newspapers? They prey on the uninformed and those with very limited knowledge.

To a large extent, I agree with LabRat. All a firewall does, is block outside programs from talking to programs running on your computer. The best way to prevent that, is to simply turn off programs that listen for outside connections[*]. The danger of opening an email attachment is far, far greater than that of turning off the firewall.

[*] Of course, with windows, the problem often is that you don't know what's running on our computer.

All a firewall does, is block outside programs from talking to programs running on your computer.
At the risk of getting this thread even further off-topic (Maybe someone could move this thread to help-me or similar? preferably with a name change?), it also does the opposite. Network-hardware grade firewalls can do traffic management in both (or more than 2) directions, and firewalls on workstations can also manage outbound access. For example, I know zonealarm has the ability to allow/deny access from programs on your computer to the Internet. And if you have any dubious programs on your computer, that can be handy too.

That said, firewalls generally serve as part of a proper defence, and while temporarily disabling them to test something is probably okay, removing/disabling for longer than necessary is not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing or are working with someone who does.

Edited by ttlanhil

All a firewall does, is block outside programs from talking to programs running on your computer.
At the risk of getting this thread even further off-topic (Maybe someone could move this thread to help-me or similar? preferably with a name change?), it also does the opposite. Network-hardware grade firewalls can do traffic management in both (or more than 2) directions, and firewalls on workstations can also manage outbound access. For example, I know zonealarm has the ability to allow/deny access from programs on your computer to the Internet. And if you have any dubious programs on your computer, that can be handy too.

That said, firewalls generally serve as part of a proper defence, and while temporarily disabling them to test something is probably okay, removing/disabling for longer than necessary is not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing or are working with someone who does.

Thx to all players what help me...but my computer is in Czech english and my English is poor...

And someone said me too i need reinstall my windows and uninstall firewall and uninstall Windows is risk,or not?

AdKo :)

You can disable your firewall in the windows security center under the control panel (windows firewall and some integrated firewalls). For Norton Security you select the uninstall option in the Norton program group on your start menu.

also, don't forget:

E-mail your ISP support, and tell them about your problem.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.