Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
conavar

Bot's

I know this has more than likely been suggested before ( tried searching but all that came up was about bot channels grr)

Just IMO would be nice to have a bot command to find items you need instead of searching through 100's of bots.

Now im not talking about a seperate bot channel but just a command

ie: @bot fire essence

this would then give you a list of all the bots selling fe's and there price,no more aimlessly pming every bot in the game to find what you need

Just an idea to make the game run a little more smoothly

Well, I understand that you don't mean that for a new channel, but that really is the central idea behind the bot channel thread.

Just IMO would be nice to have a bot command to find items you need instead of searching through 100's of bots.

Now im not talking about a seperate bot channel but just a command

The problem is the bots are run by individual players, and are constantly changing therefore a command coded into the client or server would be impossible to maintain.

Well, I understand that you don't mean that for a new channel, but that really is the central idea behind the bot channel thread.

As ttlanhil states, this is the central idea behind having a bot channel. If you want something like this, please support the efforts for getting a bot specific channel.

As ttlanhil states, this is the central idea behind having a bot channel. If you want something like this, please support the efforts for getting a bot specific channel.

If a bot channel would be able to filter out all the useless spam and just tell you the item you are looking for and which bot has it then that would be fine.

but if it acts like the bots on the market channel do now, nothing is differant apart from bots being seperated from player sales .you would still have to pm all the bots or hope one advertised what you needed .

and i appreciate Torg's comment that it might be totally impossible to programme ;)

What would need to happen for an idea like this to work, is for the bots to automatically and voluntarily update a central repository which could then be searched. Without the bots themselves updating this repo, it would always be out of date.

As for the idea behind the channel. If the bots are on the channel, and are allowed to speak, if you said on channel "inv iron ore" say, then the bots that have a match could all respond to you directly and you could choose which bot you wish to use.

It's certainly not as ideal as a central browsable repository as you'll get a huge amount of spam, but it is a way of finding out faster, which is the whole point.

In general, I believe this would not be good for the EL economy. A central repository/poll all bots command set would create an aggressive amount of competition among bot owners which would in turn create artificially low prices for average players to be forced to match.

Bots should be the "convenience store" of EL, not the Costco/WalMart. If you are at NC arena and break your armor, you drop by WarMerchant and pick up a spare. If you are heading to DP arena to fight and need HEs you drop by Meep_Meep, Blondine, or Pepa on the way. Check the mail today, you may get sales ads from the local discount stores, department stores, groceries. I highly doubt you will get them from the corner convenience store.

If you think my response is due to any desire to protect my bot's pricing, it isn't. I'm just thinking in the long term economics when newly arriving players cannot afford to grind their way up to making anything truly valuable, unless they are the ones that can afford to trade $/gc to do so.

*sigh* here comes the flames...

Sigh. That discussion has happened a number of times before. Bringing up the idea of centralised data here will derail the thread, because there are people who are strong in their opinions on each side.

A central repository/poll all bots command set would create an aggressive amount of competition among bot owners which would in turn create artificially low prices for average players to be forced to match.

That depends on what data is in the repository. The ONLY data that should ever be stored in such a repository is item lists. Both items for sale, and being bought are ok, but under no circumstances should prices be shown.

Think of it as a telephone directory listing of all the businesses (in Australia the Yellow Pages). It should be simply a method for finding who has what you want. It is then up to you to investigate the price.

I believe this concept is inline with the suggestion behind the thread, its just impossible to successfully manage from the client or server, it must be updated by the bots/owners in order to stay up to date.