Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mugwump

Weep with me, O Draia!

O lo and woe, my Pentium IV XP machine barfed its last hairball and toasted it's processor... leaving my poor dwarven soul with a PII Win98 machine and a NVIDIA TNT card

FIVE &*#%'ING DAYS BEFORE THE PHONE COMPANY WILL HOOK UP MY FIBER OPTIC ZOOMINESS WEB SERVICE!!!

I am busy stressing out my replacement machine, for which I am extremely grateful to my Pops wife Emilie who handed it down to me during a company upgrade. Still, while downloading the EL client (estimated time left 4 hours, 17 minutes) I'm betting that it ain't gonna work. This means I'll have to go off and be a real dvarven maven and dig up mega gigs o' gold to buy a new machine.

Anyway, if anyone thinks I've disappeared, I'll be checking the forums now and then, oh yeah, and please send money, and Entropy, stop upgrading for a few minutes and let me catch up!! I can hear your "Bwah, hah, hah!" in my sleep!! :)

Meanwhile I'll be out in the backyard scooping Material Points out of the local Cyclop with a spork if anyone needs me.....

Thanks Placid!

It seems I got lucky after all. This old Win98 clunker has a Nvidia TNT card and EL plays even better than my ATI 16mb card! I actually get 15 FPS and better with Poor Man on!!

Anyway, once I get my 92 gigs of RL sorted out and switched over, I'll be back! :(

i used to play with a windows 98 nvidia TNT but that was befor all the fancy effects i think i got around the same fps. 15 is plenty XD

Poor Mugwump, i have a TNT2 gathering dust, i would give it to you if i could but, well lets just say your probley not in walking distance.

Thanks for the offer, XboX. So far everything is working out pretty well except the hard drives aren't compatible so I have to set everything up from the start again.

Who cares? At least EL works! :P:D

The hard drives should be compatable, its the drivers installed on the hgard drives that arnt.

If you took a hard drive out of a top of the line computer and placed it into a Dos 386 computer it wouldnt work, becuse the drivers are different and well dos 386's are peices of shit.

That's the kind of logic that makes sense to me! So far I got that info from a Dell tech, and the good thing about them is if you wait a day and call back you get the exact opposite answer! I take everything they say with a grain of gypsum! ;)

Apparently, I'm told if I put a "ATA-66 or ATA-100 Ultra DMA"* hard drive in a machine that requires a "EIDE or SCSI"* drive, the neighbors dog will die.

Maybe my Magic Nexus isn't high enough? I'll keep my Will up and read more books :fire:

*Specs from manuals.

except the hard drives aren't compatible so I have to set everything up from the start again.

Well, it is possible the hard drives are incompatable because there are 3 main types of HDD's in PC's these days. One type is SCSI, but its unlikely you have that. The other 2 are PATA (Parallel ATA) and SATA (Serial ATA). Each of these 3 types has a different connector so if you can plug them in, its not a physical HDD compatability issue.

The next issue is that there are many formats that you can put the files onto the HDD in. Under Windows XP the default filesystem format is NTFS, under 98 it's FAT32. Normally a Windows 98 machine won't read an NTFS configured HDD. However, you can get drivers for Windows 98 that will allow you to read an NTFS drive. If you google "Win 98 NTFS Drivers" you'll find all sorts of links. I have no idea of the quality etc of the drivers you'll need to investigate that yourself.

Hope it helps. :-)

he he i have a but load of computers. to bad i cant send one to you

I'm running low on spares myself. Down to my old E-machine, a win95 Zenith, and my trusty old Atari 130XE with cassette drive :)

The hard drive fits the bay and plugs right in, I just have to get the configs and drivers right since it is NTFS. I'm too lazy at the moment having too much fun with a near empty drive!