Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Disclosure of the rate changes

Let us know what you think about it  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rare stuff ratio changes be made public?

• Yes
    • No

It seems that many people are hoarding on various rare stuff with the intention to sell later on, and make an even greater profit.

This is not good, because it creates artificial scarcity.

In addition to that, once an announcement is made that some item was made more rare, the price increases right away after the announcement. In contrast, the price decreases less suddenly when it is announced that the item is less rare now.

So I personally think that it would be a better idea not to announce the ratio changes for rare stuff. What do you think about it?

Personally I like mysteries. I never thought that everything should be known. There is a lot of good to be said about not knowing what the chances are to get an item.

Just my opinion

Shea

Edited by Shea

If the price of rare items can be controlled by so few people then maybe it's a good idea to make them less rare.

Edited by Mr.Mind

i urge people to read all arguments presented before voting, like nmt poll

i WOULD voted no, i agree with ent that it isnt good idea and shoild be kept secret

maybe an ingame council of economists would help :unsure: just a thought

So I personally think that it would be a better idea not to announce the ratio changes for rare stuff. What do you think about it?

i have always personally felt that you should keep this to youreself........

It seems that many people are hoarding on various rare stuff with the intention to sell later on, and make an even greater profit.

This is not good, because it creates artificial scarcity.

In addition to that, once an announcement is made that some item was made more rare, the price increases right away after the announcement. In contrast, the price decreases less suddenly when it is announced that the item is less rare now.

Make it a surprise.... and not part of the release notes for a patch

I voted no

It seems very likely the prices go up instantly just because people hear they are rarer, items shouldn't be more expensive because we THINK they are rarer, they should be more expensive because we see the need to charge more for them because their are less around. In my opinion :unsure:

If we don't know the scarcity ratio we have no way of knowing what to harvest. ie fire essence and life essence.

I voted to yes to kepp the info known.

I think that I agree with you, but what a great opportunity for a formal experiment. What I would like to see is to have the announcements stop for most changes, but then to announce a couple of changes that are comparable to unannounced changes. You could then prove or disprove your hypothesis.

Fun!

scafativ

Before I vote, I will just state my opinion, which this is all it is...

You can go ahead and not announce a rare item, but the same thing will happen once people find out something is not as common as it was. Yes, it may take longer for people to realize this (which could be a good thing I guess..). You can't stop people from hoarding unless you just simply take things away... which wouldn't be fair at all. :(

I say... let them hoard... if they are gonna do it, they are gonna, what if all of a sudden the item is not so rare? They lost a whole lotta time and gc (this is sorta like a stockmarket maybe.. I don't know...) --- although by not announcing this, it could hurt them deeply...

In the long run; It may just make people more frustrated.

I will hold off my vote until I view other opinions (as always! :unsure:).

I agree for secret, as long as it helps control a complicated market.

The only think i would add is the necessity for often changes in order to get a smooth regulation.

maybe an ingame council of economists would help :unsure: just a thought

They had something like that a few years ago. Not quite sure what happened to it.

There is nothing wrong with announcing a change in the rarity of an item. If the change is done gradually then the prices won't spike as much. (and what is wrong with a price spike anyway?)

Edited by Mr.Mind

It looks like so far the "mystery" followers are wining. The truth is ... if the REAL numbers are known then the prices cant be manipulated based on assuptions. Real numbers are different.

I guess it would be good to "let out us of the darrk" so to speak :unsure:

If the price of rare items can be controlled by so few people then maybe it's a good idea to make them less rare.

One would think that 12K EFEs is not very rare, yes? Or +5K of rostos.

I certainly agree that people are hoarding rare items for hope of selling later on, which I do sometimes as well. I dont see anything inherently wrong in speculation, or people who are able to profit from it. I dont see anything wrong with artifical scarcity unless people are able to completely monopolize an item, which I am not sure is possible to do on EL. Things like EFE all people have an opportunity to make and serpent stones dropped by moderate monsteres like ogres/trolls. So as long as no one can have a monopoly on an item, I dont think some people artifically keeping items on a speculation basis is wrong.

"In addition to that, once an announcement is made that some item was made more rare, the price increases right away after the announcement." (is completely true)

"In contrast, the price decreases less suddenly when it is announced that the item is less rare now." Maybe, but I cant imagine how that by not announcing the ratio changes for rare stuff would make the item price drop any quicker.

I actually think that the biggest change announcing ratios would do is make the items that are changed to more rare,go up slower in price, than it would if you posted the changed ratio.

Edited by LevinMage

I voted no, because I'm poor and those giant price leaps are ev0l :(

It'll be easier to see things become cheaper as more are produced and price goes down regularly, but without announcing that you are making things more scarce it's harder to see and the price increase is much slower ...

----

On another note, could you spike the price of beaver furs to 2k like the old days would help my brokeness :unsure:

-Lleu

/DC/many other names o_0

There is nothing inherently wrong with speculation, but in this case it hurts the game, because of the following scenario:

People hoard on items, then the items are scarce, then they accumulate to large quantities, and the item is not even rare anymore, but quite expensive.

Then I end up seeing that we have too many rare items in the game, and reduce the rate even more, which again, starts this process again.

If people sold those items for reasonable prices, then there would be more money circulating in the game, which is good for mostly everyone.

If not, we have a semi-recession.

In short, yes, keep the stats closed source. :unsure:

Seems to me, from all the discussions I've read on the forums, that the devs are going for as real (irl-like) an economy as possible. This means prices (most of them, anyway) are/should be based on supply and demand. Great supply and low demand means a lower price and vice versa. Irl, people don't find out immediately when something becomes less common, so prices go up as demand goes up and supply goes down, and vice versa. So, in keeping with the life-like economy goals, ratios should be "secret"

One would think that 12K EFEs is not very rare, yes? Or +5K of rostos.

I don't know, it depends on the number of players, but the question should be more of why those items aren't being used than how rare they are. EFEs are limited in use by the rarity of other items that you need to use with them, such as serpent stones. Why people aren't using their rostos is beyond me...

It's probably just my personality, but I've always referred to have the information so I can make an informed decision rather than have to guess without knowing. Just my personal preference. I voted yes.