Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Exeus

New Enterance :)

Hello all :) I want to tell everyone somthing very interesting.

Today at the fire in IP there was a noob saying EL was "Crap" and "It's worse than Neopets" . That last one is really an insult let me tell you. So why did this noob say this? Because he/she was bored. Nothing to do. Not only is the tutorial lmoa as heck but it's hard to see. It took me 5times logging in to finaly realize wat the "Tutorial" npc did. Before that I almost quite. Thats right I hade not gotten in the game and I thout it was lmao. Sad but true. I have chat logs with noobs saying "EL sucks" or "This is boring" Unfortunetly they were erased when nect EL update came out :(

(No offense but when trying to touch bar counters in WS sucks when you get killed my a Gargoyal.)

So my point...... WE NEED A BETTER TUTORIAL / ENTERANCE!!!!!!!! EL is a golden city with rugged gates and beggers and the streets. This one guy was dying and dying and didin't know that Tutorial npc could heal you. Sad sad sad. Why doesn't somone make a new tutorial. A map only for n44bs. You can go there once and learn. You learn alch/potion/att/def/pick pointes etc everything there is to know. Now I didin't do a search but I belive this might have come up before.

So what is my MAIN point? If I was to make a map for n00bs only (A tutorial) would you posibly put it

ingame? Start with fighting and move from there. Alch/harvest and so on. This would make the game way better.

Tell me what you think

The: Sir_Exeus

People will say "this game sux0rz" no matter what game it is. Some people are idiots, and we can't cater to idiots.

The game is easy enough if you read and use your brain..well, it's true.

There may be ways we can make it more newbie friendly, but most have been thought out already. And we did at one point have a newbie map-it didn't solve the idiot problems. Nothing will.

well lets try again :) it probaly will work. if we have a good map.

was the old map when all u cold do was walk aroound? lol

As I can see your point exeus, uh... ur opening post is sorta confusing with all the "lmao" cause I dont think u realize that means "laugh my ass off" to most people, just say lame instead.

But yeah, most newbies come in, figure out how to type, and say "wtf do I do??"

Well how bout when somebody makes a new char, and they first get to IP, there is a message that shows up on there screen saying to go to the tutorial npc, and check out the encyclopedia+use the newbie ch.

Then a little animated path or marker that guides them to the npc, then a little explanation bout the game, and possibly something more interesting/less tedious then going to bars, harving flowers and killing all those rabbits, cause it sucks how theres like 5 people all chasing the same rabbit...

but yeah even if things are improved, theres still gona be a bunch of people who will hate it, but I think a little bit of an effort cause be made here.

(I personally would love it if the second the player comes in they are placed in a scripted fight [meaning they will win no matter wat] against some bandit, then after u kill it, some guy runs up to you and says thnx, u look new, go see the tut npc, blah blah, to really immerse the player into the game right off the start.) altho this would prolly be even more confusing then wat we have now, it would be kinda cool.

he he i thout it was lame-o you know. oops my bad.

anyway yes that would work to. all my friends that tried EL said it was stupid becuase nothing to do. and when i said do alch they said idk how. i said read encyclopeida and thay said........well nvm wat they said but points is people are missing important features. and other forums say that EL needs a "Closer" look. it does. so like i said we need a "Nooby" map. you start out they teach you everything. u can leav when u walk through a teleport. you can get your skills no higher than say...lvl5? see wat i am saying?

and ya 5people chasing same bunny is sucky. funny to watch people do it though. and reason they have limited bunnys is probaly because high lvls will come in and craft up a storm with pelts.

lets see wat people have to say :)

lets see wat people have to say

I say....

There will always be people with short attention spans unable to deal with anything that isn't spoon-fed to them. They can go play runescape.

EL is a game that requires some thought, exploration, and planning. People who like that sort of game will stay. The others will make some "this game sux0rz" comment (noting the typical lack of spelling or grammar abilities) and move on.

That said, there are some specific things that could be done to further help point new players in the right direction. But they're more along the lines of fine-tuning rather than creating totally new newb maps (IMHO).

lets see wat people have to say

grammar abilities) and move on.

That said, there are some specific things that could be done to further help point new players in the right direction. But they're more along the lines of fine-tuning rather than creating totally new newb maps (IMHO).

perhaps so. BUT......... Wats a new map gonna hurt anyway? a littlw extra work? i said i would take care of the map itself. but ya fine tuning could be done but very fine. I have experience making games myself and let me tell ya the first look says it all. so it's said.

thing is people will complain at games they have to use their brains at...

few people i know complain about Final Fanstsy becuase they only leveled 1 person and now thier stuck.

they really hate chess (i dont like it much either, too boring)

tutorial island has been suggested before i think. And please no tutorial island >< maybe at school there's a npc which teaches how to alch/manu etc. maybe even give fre ingreediants to those who dont have 3 levels in that skill

Guest baneazaghal

Sorry, but players like that just want to enter the game and start playing without reading/doing tutorials because they're lazy. And let's not forget the fact that quite a lot of people don't want to actually finish the tutorial because they think they're "pr0", "1337" and all other intentional atrocities against the English language. When I was starting out, I just read the hints, and what the tutorial NPC said (I actually think that he is mentioned in the hints or when you log-in, or, in worst case, I found out about TAB-map via hints, and then I've seen the tutorial NPC on the map - not much brain usage after that except talking with the guy). And, as a long-time GNU/Linux user, I could only say - RTFM (no offense intended here, it's a common phrase amongst us :) ). It's there for a reason :D

EDIT: Grammar :)

Edited by baneazaghal

People will say "this game sux0rz" no matter what game it is. Some people are idiots, and we can't cater to idiots.

The game is easy enough if you read and use your brain..well, it's true.

There may be ways we can make it more newbie friendly, but most have been thought out already. And we did at one point have a newbie map-it didn't solve the idiot problems. Nothing will.

I agree. My english are not perfect but the encyclopedia and the tutorials really helped me.So if i made it others can too.

keep in myind that everyone is not the same. people want to have fun. and there is a differnce than "Using your brain" and just akk out looking around intently. it needs to be simple. serisusly SOMTHING needs to be done. whether it be a new map or some changes it neds to change.

As another point of view:

There were 2 reasons I was drawn into this game: (1)there WAS so much to figure out, and it was therefor a challenge, and (2) Live help from real people

IMO, these two things together really make EL a place where people start to work together and help each other, and keep the overall IQ of players above the moronic level.

Also, other games that have a simple tutorial island work nicely, but they also have a very limited skill set. This is not the case in EL.

Tigs

IMO, these two things together really make EL a place where people start to work together and help each other, and keep the overall IQ of players above the moronic level.

Right...I honestly would prefer people who would say "this game is stoopid/sux/lame/whatever" to NOT play, rather than us try and make the game "more fun" or easier for these people. Who wants a game full of rude people like that? I'd rather not increase the playerbase with that sort of lot.

And a newbie island with tutorials has been tried before. They still don't read, and it only takes someone with a little bit of brain power and patience to do it.

I say thanks to Radu and Roja for putting a start gate in EL that ensures a decent level of intelligence and maturity. For someone looking for easy, braindead games, there are plenty of Macromedia Flash games on the web

I say thanks to Radu and Roja for putting a start gate in EL that ensures a decent level of intelligence and maturity. For someone looking for easy, braindead games, there are plenty of Macromedia Flash games on the web

Well said IMO

:o i say i just hit a wacko idea! could be impossible but i'll say it anyways. When the "newbies" join the Eternal Lands , they are taken to a map. in that map there's an NPC saying: "Hi mates! see those rabbits there? you can kill them, and gain levels by that!". After a while when the happy little newbies have killed some rabbits they wonder: "where's the way out?? oh there it is!" BUT when they try to click the gate a following message is displayed: "aww sorry guys, you can't get through unless your a/d is 7/7!". get the point? and after that map, there could be an alc-map, harvesting-map etc. and the path goes the same way, but no turning back. This would be a great way to seperate the intelligence/patient future-EL players from the annoying n00b spammers :)

ps. now that i think of it, it sound reeeeally complicated :( .

pps. i tried another MMORPG a while ago....it felt terrible and disgusting, i will never ever again do that again. EL is much more organized and friendly ;)

When I started EL the tut NPC didn't even heal! AND WE HAD DEER ON IP! XD

actually, I think IP is a good spot but just needs more things, like perhaps a newbie storage for people under oa 20.

That would get them into alchemy and the likes right away, give them more to do than just getting killed by rabbits and beavers.

Alternatively, you could also consider WSC as mentioned, although the gargoyles would be an issue and weak animals are hard to come by in the city. only way to counter that would be a "safe zone" for the entire WSC map where gargs, bears, pumas, and boars cannot wander in.

Before finishing up the post, another solution could be just add more boats! A boat to VotD and DP would be great (directly, new players don't realize that there's more than one boat at the WS docks, I didn't know for awhile) and would spread the new guys out to more maps, and get them to see how much more to the game there is than just rabbits, beavers, some vegetables, ect.

edit: reading that previous post, you could have a tutorial CAVE right by the wraith, where players enter and show up alone in there, the game explains to them fighting, alchemy, manu, summoning, and the likes. They can try the stuff there with stuff temporarily given to them or something and get no exp gain perhaps

Edited by TheComet

see you guys are getting it. not a tutorial island but changes. tutorla island would be a bit pathetic cause it's liek rune scape (Ruin your mind scape) and peple would think we were compying it.

Now Roja said bad people saying things like "Sucks" "Crap" etc. well not everyone says that. mostly you hear "i am bored"

last thing to coment on people don't want to think. how old are you people? i am 15 years old. i know how kids think. i have friends and cousins up the A . we want games that are pure fun. no thinking envolved. i manenged to play EL cause i hade nothing better to do and because it was a small download. xD

last thing to coment on people don't want to think. how old are you people? i am 15 years old. i know how kids think. i have friends and cousins up the A . we want games that are pure fun. no thinking envolved.

Maybe that's the big difference, and reason why some people said what they said in this topic :). EL has a pretty mature playerbase. Most players are adults. See the recent age poll here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33800

This game is free, it will attrect many newb kids

last thing to coment on people don't want to think. how old are you people? i am 15 years old. i know how kids think. i have friends and cousins up the A . we want games that are pure fun. no thinking envolved.

There are mindless games. Then there are games where a LOT of thinking is involved, and there are games inbetween. There are shoot-em-up games, RTS, RPG's, Barbie & me, all kinds of games. Not all games are suited for all people.

So you play what you like, and your friends play what they like. Find a game suited for you, because a game cannot be suited for all.

ok under stood. but like i keep saying kids and young teens want easy playing. they don't read. thats why u have to be 18 or older to vote. i talked to tutorial NPC like 30 times b4 i found out wat to do.

well if u want to leave it the same old way it is ok your loss (Or should i say EL's loss)

but somthing minior shoud be done

Many of us do not grade a game on number of accounts, users, etc. A lot of us are in EL because

* it IS complex and takes some thinking, reasoning, and strategy

* the user base is mature and we are not (usually) surrounded by banal mindless chat

* there is PK/PvP for the teens & twenty-somethings, but there is also the opportunity to make interesting items for the older crowd

* there is a good chat system with numerous channels for getting to know similar-minded people

* there is the opportunity to Role-Play, but not forced RP as in some other games

So, making the game entry easier may be our loss. Yes there are very young players IG already, but they are the ones sharp enough to learn the game and the ones that are up for the challenge. So even though they are young, they are still the type that fit into the existing community

I don't understand why you (tech gods) don't want to help new players. You put tutorial npc into IP why don't you want to add some more improvements?

but like i keep saying kids and young teens want easy playing.

Maybe we don't want those sorts of people playing?

I don't understand why you (tech gods) don't want to help new players. You put tutorial npc into IP why don't you want to add some more improvements?

It's not that we don't want to help new players at all. It is simply that we want new players to help themselves. To try the game, to try to discover things, and if they have troubles then ask a live person to encourage community.