Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest baneazaghal

Session counters (not) being reset on reconnect

Session counters  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like the session counters to behave?

• Reset them all to zero on reconnect
    • Keep the old session counters on reconnect

Guest baneazaghal

Well, being someone who grues a lot, I've been a little bit annoyed by the fact that my session counters are always reset after I reconnect (with the same instance of the client). Some people may argue that it is an expected behavior since it IS a new session from server's point of view, but from the player's viewpoint it is the same session (my opinion). I already took a look at the code, and believe it can be "corrected" by adding 3 lines of code. So, I'm wondering what's the opinion of the rest of the players on this particular topic.

Perhaps a failure to connect to the server could reset them...

If you're only offline for a few seconds then it makes sense to continue, but if you're off for a few hours then it doesn't (at least to me).

Guest baneazaghal

Yes, I've also thought about that one. Maybe we could store time of disconnect and compare it with current time when connecting? The code changes should remain minimal (and maybe it could all be even added only to the counters code, leaving the rest of the code untouched).

The only problem would be choosing the right interval, though.

I'd like to see them carried over.

I've been d/c'ing alot recently, and it's anoying when I get back and start from 0.. I'd like to be able to have it run in RL days, if thats possible, would be cool. :D

I would like them to retain after a disconnected with the client still open!!

Really bugs me when my uni internet connected d/cs me after 4 mins 20 secs every time and I can't rely on counters

Perhaps a failure to connect to the server could reset them...

If you're only offline for a few seconds then it makes sense to continue, but if you're off for a few hours then it doesn't (at least to me).

That is true, but you could instead make a way for the time in the counter increasing (not sure how well this would work), or otherwise its not a big problem because counters can be reset when this happens anyway

Voted yes!, and since we're at it - how about implementing signal handlers so that the client exits via the regular exit_now if it receives a TERM or QUIT? This would take care of saving my counters when I need to bail out of the game fast :D

I voted for the second option with a BIG, and IMPORTANT "BUT"... :D See, sometimes is REALLY usefull to be able to reset the counter, and see how much points did you have.

I actually prefer current situation, even though i voted for second option!

Guest baneazaghal

I voted for the second option with a BIG, and IMPORTANT "BUT"... :D See, sometimes is REALLY usefull to be able to reset the counter, and see how much points did you have.

I actually prefer current situation, even though i voted for second option!

Care to explain a bit further? I don't think I understood what you meant by this.

A session is a session, measured by the time you are connected without being disconnected (for whatever reason), no?

ups i clicked the wrong button... i wanted to vote for : "Keep the old session counters on reconnect"

PS : atleast i think i didn't click the write one ... lol

On a sidenote of this topic: it would be consistent if a session reset with the "reset" button on the session tab would also reset the counters for "This session" on the counters tab. A manual session reset should have the same effect like a "forced" one, IMO.

Guest baneazaghal

A session is a session, measured by the time you are connected without being disconnected (for whatever reason), no?

Ah... You don't grue much, do you? As I said, from purely technical aspect, those are 2 separate sessions. From a viewpoint of a player, though, it's 1 session (if you keep the client open). We could have an option to turn on/off this kind of behavior.

In the case of a grue, a session playing is different from a session connected. Personally, I would want the counters to record my session of playing.

ok, fair enough. If someone can come up with a good way to detect a grue logout then I think it is fair that you get the option to keep it as a session.

Guest baneazaghal

Hm... The problem is that I don't always get the grue message (you've been eaten by a grue), but only the usual "You got disconnected from the server...". I could, of course (and already did) write a code that will just keep the existing session counters if you get disconnected and then reconnect. If you press Alt+X, I think that counters should not be kept. The only question now is if I should try adding some time-stamp checking or not (as in if you don't reconnect in under 5 minutes, it's a new session). Now, the problem is that sometimes you might leave your char afk for more than 5 minutes, and if you grue in the meantime, and don't come back in time, you'll loose the counters. On the other hand, we DO have a reset counters button for the session XP. I could implement the same thing for the session harvesting/alching/etc counters as well. I'm just trying to figure out what the players would like for the time being, though. Whether something like this goes into the game is main dev's choice, I guess.

If you log out (exit the game), the counters get reset - if the client is not closed (grue) the counters do not get reset. From a player's perspective this is still the same session, I absolutely agree baneazaghal on that point.

Edit: too slow, baneazaghal was faster :P

I'd suggest going for the easiest solution (keep KISS in mind) - keep counters unless client exits or "reset counter" button is pressed. This will be the easiest thing to implement AND understand :P

Edited by majestyk