Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JasperCat

CVS gfx issues under linux

Hi,

Current CVS is VERY dark under linux, both day and night.

Also I get a 30~40 FPS slowdown compared to the vanilla client.

This is using minimap compiled in .

Thanks for the bouncy numbers and red cursor, both very nice additions. Minimap could be a great asset for hunting.

Cheers

JC

EDIT : forgot to mention , upping gamma past 1.2 has no effect either.

Edited by JasperCat

Are you using NEW_WEATHER or NEW_LIGHTING? If so that could be the problem, I have had darkness effects with them aswell both day and night. This seem to be mostly due to the fact that maps actually lack alot of light sources, they rely on the current flat light=/

I'm using the NEW_LIGHTING, good point. I will try without and see what the results are.

One thing I did notice when dropping F9 lights to illuminate a bit was that only the first F9 casts any illumination. The other lights appear, flame away, smoke like a trooper but give off no visible light.

OK, I rolled up a new CVS with an unchanged make.defaults, lighting is OK, FPS is same as vanilla, all seems OK.

Thanks BeaverHunter

JC

Gamma still appears to be capped at 1.20.

You wont believe how many CVS clients I have rolled this morning trying to find the offending DEF, but even a plain old 'vanilla' make.defaults as it comes from CVS has this cap, and is a little dark for me.

JC

That's not due to ELC, that's part of your system libraries (a limit in SDL, or your graphics drivers, or the GUI, etc)

That's not due to ELC, that's part of your system libraries (a limit in SDL, or your graphics drivers, or the GUI, etc)

I don't think so, as if I use the default game client from the distro I can turn it up over 1.20 and see it get brighter.

If I use current cvs [vanilla, as it comes from berlios] anything over 1.20 has no effect.

JC

Edit : This also was not the case with CVS a few days ago, perhaps 3 days.

Edited by JasperCat

Well, I don't know why that would be the case, because it's not something that ELC can do.

The exception is if one of the changes adjusted OpenGL's boundaries, I guess (ie if one of the OpenGL extensions we now use means it won't allow gamma over a certain level).

You can see it for yourself; open up elconfig.c, search for gamma, you'll find where the option is added to the list, and where changing the option calls SDL_SetGamma.

And if you go back in CVS for the last couple of weeks, you'll find that neither of those sections of code have changed.

If you can find which specific commit broke gamma over 1.2 for you, we might be able to find out why... However I'm surprised that anyone should need gamma set that high.

Edited by ttlanhil

OK, thanks ttlanhil. I'm going to restore a backup from a few days ago and use that for now.

Yes I did check the GL gamma code to see what was up, but it looked OK to my horribly un-educated C/C++ eye.

In the meantime I'll keep an eye on CVS and compile as usual, I don't think anything major has changed here in the last few days, but I always grab any OS updates as a rule, and blindly trust them :P

FYI this is Edgy Eft 32 bit with NVidia 9631.

I may go back to Feisty and try it, but it has a horrible crackly speaker bug in Feisty's sound. :)

Thanks for your time, I'll let you know if I pin it down.

JC

However I'm surprised that anyone should need gamma set that high.

Before I got my new monitors I was using 15 year old ones and they both needed the gamma set at 2.5. Sometimes you need it.

Very old Sony Multiscan 300sf (20") Same problem, very dark. I usually have to jack the gamma up too...

I'll try my 17" when I have a chance...