Eternal Lands Official Forums
Beaverhunter

Current CVS errors

I thought my sound was fine with the cvs build. It isn't. It shuts down after a few minutes of playing. The rest of my system has sound, just not the game.

I thought my sound was fine with the cvs build. It isn't. It shuts down after a few minutes of playing. The rest of my system has sound, just not the game.

What openal version?

meh.

You guys update to / install Karmic and you get graphical anomalies, i've installed Karmic and now i seem to have some race condition bug that has the client seg faulting anywhere between 0 and about 4 seconds after opening it, most of the time... maybe 1 in 5 or 6 times the client starts successfully and then runs fine.

Meh doesn't quite cut it for me. Sorry for replying to an old post but I finally had a chance to try Ubuntu 9.10 on my main desktop machine with Nvidia graphics (propritary drivers). All versions of the client crash on start-up but occasionally it works. A bit of digging and I'm convinced its a memory corruption as the places the crash happens look perfectly fine. Plus adding debug or modifying the code a bit just moves the crash point. I reverted the nvidia drivers to an earlier version and everything was fine! The 185 version of the nvidia driver looks to be the culpret for me. I had a personal email with a similar story again fixed by changing the driver, this time to the latest 190 version. Hopefully, Ubuntu will update the driver soon. It may well be anyone using Ubuntu 9.10 with nvidia graphics will be having the same issues.

May be I should open a new thread on this...

Edited by bluap

Hi,

there is still a bug in the 'is_buddy' function: it only works for names without guild-tags. This patch should fix it:

Index: buddy.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/buddy.c,v
retrieving revision 1.98
diff -u -r1.98 buddy.c
--- buddy.c	23 Sep 2009 18:09:31 -0000	1.98
+++ buddy.c	7 Dec 2009 20:24:50 -0000
@@ -628,14 +628,20 @@
int is_in_buddylist(const char *name)
{
	int i;
+	char onlyname[32];
	if(!name || !*name) {
		return 0;
	}
	while(name[0] != '\0' && is_color ((unsigned char)name[0])){
		++name;
	}
+	// strip GuildTag if existing
+	for(i = 0; name[i]>32; i++){
+		onlyname[i] = name[i];
+	}
+
	for(i = 0; i < MAX_BUDDY; i++) {
-		if(buddy_list[i].type < 0xff && strcasecmp(buddy_list[i].name, name) == 0) {
+		if(buddy_list[i].type < 0xff && strcasecmp(buddy_list[i].name, onlyname) == 0) {
			return 1;
		}
	}

Edited by Sir_Odie

there is still a bug in the 'is_buddy' function: it only works for names without guild-tags. This patch should fix it:

onlyname is missing the terminating \0

Thanks folks. Fix committed to CVS. I note there are several other places in the client that perform the same function so some time soon we must replace all the dupes with a single function....

Not sure if it's a bug or intended but after the last change to 3d_objects.c some trees and bushes look VERY thin:

bush-old.jpgbush-new.jpg

Edited by Sir_Odie

Uhh..sorry, that will look good with the new textures with the update. All it is is a value change on line# 367: You can change it back if you want to 0.06:

else glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER,0.06f);

Not sure if it's a bug or intended but after the last change to 3d_objects.c some trees and bushes look VERY thin:

I'm not seeing them as "thin" so much as semi-translucent... it's caused by the same thing yes?

I'm not seeing them as "thin" so much as semi-translucent... it's caused by the same thing yes?

The alpha key value was changed, so it will affect transparencies. As Roja said, it will change when the new artwork is added. However, we might have to fine tune it for different scenarios, so if it causes problems feel free to change it to other values.

I set it back to 0.06 as Roja suggests and surely enough; trees are back to normal. :P

May be we could keep both behaviours for now using the OLD_MISC_OBJ_DIR #define. Roja asked for the client to be changed to support the new directory structure for the new artwork. I added this #def to allow the client to be built to work with the current structure. Assuming the glAlphaFunc() is only for new artwork, the same #def can be used to build the client using the old setting.

Gentoo is running into the glext.h problem in the testing branch now (due to using a newer version of mesa). Since the package depends on a package that provides a modern version of glext.h anyway, I am just patching package.h for gentoo users. I figure that this is a lot cleaner than moving them to the bleeding-edge CVS version which you might not appreciate...

There are lighting problems again in latest cvs...very noticable in Pl saphire cave. zooming in and out and night and rotating the camera shows the bug. the light on the ground goes on and off as you rotate or zoom in/out.

small harmless warnings:

misc.c: In function ‘IMG_SavePNG_RW’:

misc.c:313: warning: ‘jmpbuf’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:1082)

misc.c:362: warning: ‘palette’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:636)

misc.c:363: warning: ‘palette’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:636)

There are lighting problems again in latest cvs...very noticable in Pl saphire cave. zooming in and out and night and rotating the camera shows the bug. the light on the ground goes on and off as you rotate or zoom in/out.

this one seems to be fixed in latest changes in CVS. :medieval:

Edited by hussam

Gentoo is running into the glext.h problem in the testing branch now (due to using a newer version of mesa). Since the package depends on a package that provides a modern version of glext.h anyway, I am just patching package.h for gentoo users. I figure that this is a lot cleaner than moving them to the bleeding-edge CVS version which you might not appreciate...

The version of glext.h in the client CVS (was) pretty current, I've just updated to the latest from http://www.opengl.org/registry/api/ but the changes are minor. Is Gentoo using a version from somewhere else?

small harmless warnings:

misc.c: In function ‘IMG_SavePNG_RW’:

misc.c:313: warning: ‘jmpbuf’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:1082)

misc.c:362: warning: ‘palette’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:636)

misc.c:363: warning: ‘palette’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:636)

Which version of libpng are you using? I'm using Ubuntu (Karmic) and libpng12-0 (1.2.37-1). I don't get those warnings.

libpng 1.4.0

Big pull last pacman -Su eh hussam ^^

All because of new libpng >.>

I had to re-compile the client for it to run (or could have tried symlinking old library locs to new ones... but meh)

libpng 1.4.0

Big pull last pacman -Su eh hussam ^^

All because of new libpng >.>

I had to re-compile the client for it to run (or could have tried symlinking old library locs to new ones... but meh)

very true :P world domination plans are working ;) even if the bandwidth consumption is high :P

Edited by hussam

Looks like this can be fixed with this new way of checking:

Index: misc.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/misc.c,v
retrieving revision 1.81
diff -a -u -r1.81 misc.c
--- misc.c	2 May 2009 14:10:11 -0000	1.81
+++ misc.c	8 Feb 2010 23:20:57 -0000
@@ -310,7 +310,7 @@
	}

/* Set error handling. */
-	if (setjmp(png_ptr->jmpbuf))
+	if (setjmp(png_jmpbuf(png_ptr)))
	{
		/* If we get here, we had a problem reading the file */
		IMG_SetError("Error writing the PNG file");

The libpng documentation says you should only free memory you allocate yourself, palette is not malloced so this may not be required. A quick check shows that the free() code is not called on my system. Any libpng experts around?

Please change arch to native in make.defaults, thanks (gcc 4.2.0 from afaik which on this flag is supported has been around for about 3 years).

small bug in actors.c: add_actor_from_server

line 1282: define frame as unsigned char as you plan to use codes 100-140 for emotes

cvs updated, ty ;)