Hello all!

Is the second harvester medallion that breaks up. My statistic are:

1st:

about 5k exp obtained by a couple of mother nature's blessings

about 500gc obtained by some bags of gold

2nd:

about 12k exp

about 150gc

I thing that the break rate of this magical stuff is too high to cover the expenses to buy it.

I know that it helps to improve crafting, but he who buy it, or make the ingredients to make it done by another player, don't make a good deal!

A half of the actual break rate will be fine...IMHO :)

See you ingame!

this has been posted before if you do a search, however i do agree and many others would, i know loads of people who have tried them and wont use them again me included, they are just not worth the money at all, i find it hard to understand the reason they are like they are as they are pretty much worthless as it is

this has been posted before if you do a search, however i do agree and many others would, i know loads of people who have tried them and wont use them again me included, they are just not worth the money at all, i find it hard to understand the reason they are like they are as they are pretty much worthless as it is

I'm sorry: I have try to find but I haven't ... :) ...I haven't search out well...

ty for the answer! :happy:

My problem is that I always misunderstood Entropy/Radu's intent with the Harvest Medallion. I thought it was suppose to be a break-even (or better) item; meaning that people would want to use them because it would be better in the long run than not using them. This is not the case.

As explained to me by Entropy, the Harvest Medallion is more of a "lottery" item. Most people will loose, but every so often someone will win a little (in this context that means not loosing money on the medallion, break even). And every once in a great while someone will win big (get enough gc/experience to be a net gain compared to the cost of the medallion).

This understanding completely changed my expectation and usage of the medallion. The medallion could be a much more popular and useful part of the game, but it is what it is and understanding that will help you as you decide if and how you will use Harvest Medallions in the future.

I thing that the break rate of this magical stuff is too high to cover the expenses to buy it.

I agree totally 7kgc is hard to come by and never knowing when you'll get a blessing or gold and also never knowing when it will break is torture.

the Harvest Medallion is more of a "lottery" item. Most people will loose, but every so often someone will win a little (in this context that means not loosing money on the medallion, break even). And every once in a great while someone will win big (get enough gc/experience to be a net gain compared to the cost of the medallion).

this too is true :D I have had about...7 harvester medallions most broke quickly or from cavern walls and teleports... :( but I wrote down every time an event happened with the 1st 2 I had the 1st one lasted through 55 events :) (and I think I payed off quite well about 10 bags of gold over 200gc and around 5 bags of 50gc plus 8 blessings (4 of which were over 2kexp [1 was actually 6666exp I know freaky ;) ])

the 2nd only lasted through 31 events and there were 2 blessings (under 2kexp) and about 5 bags of 50gc and 4 of 200gc...now IMHO I don't think that one was quite worth it but moreso then the rest I bought afterward...

so anyway I'll continue to buy them when I have the extra money...it is kinda fun to see when you'll have a good payout :P

1 was actually 6666exp I know freaky

Sorry to burst your bubble but there's no natural number that yields a last digit different from 0 when multiplied by 10 :D

Sorry to burst your bubble but there's no natural number that yields a last digit different from 0 when multiplied by 10 :D
Ahhhh so he got a surreal number instead? Even more freaky...

Anyway, Harvester Medallions are another item only worth the cost if you get lucky; but on average are a lose? I can understand this if the rare win had the potential to be much more significant (which it may be for lower levels, who can't afford them anyway...), which would be much more than x10. For instance, the multiplier could be a random number on an exponentially decreasing distribution -- average may be x10, but there is an incredibly slim chance to get upto x100, or even x1000, etc. Think of a medallion giving a x1000 to one character once after 10 years of the whole game -- that sort of lottery longshot.

Edited by trollson

Anyway, Harvester Medallions are another item only worth the cost if you get lucky; but on average are a lose?

Yes, you are correct.

Rare is the person who breaks even with them. Even more rare is the person who "wins". The other threads on the medallion contain detailed analysis on what "break even" and "win" might mean based on various exp/gc values.

Not in base 10 :)

What's so special about 6666 anyway? Number of the beast that stutters?

BTW, one thing to keep in mind: Do not use it (take it off) after your exp limit for the hour is gone. You will not gain extra exp.

So if you do that, you will be much more likely to gain massive exp before it breaks.

So if you do that, you will be much more likely to gain massive exp before it breaks.

We've been doing that (well, most of us) from the beginning. Still doesn't make them last long enough to be useful. Certainly not enough for "massive exp". No matter how you slice it, the break rate is simply to high for anyone (but the occasional "lottery" winner) to get much from them.

One thing that was pointed out to me (by I forget whom) is that events SEEM to often come in pairs. You get teleported, and a few minutes later you get teleported again. So when I get a blessing I put on my harvest medallion hoping to get that second blessing. After the second blessing, or 1-2 other events I take it off again lest it break.

Even with that I haven't had one come anywhere close to break even since one of the early ones I used when they first came out.

Since one definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, I'm clearly loosing my grip when it comes to harvest medallions. :)

One thing that was pointed out to me (by I forget whom) is that events SEEM to often come in pairs. You get teleported, and a few minutes later you get teleported again.

I think that if you were to do any statistics on that, you'd find no significant effect.

Since one definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result,

I thought that was the definition of a computer science student :wub:

*ducks*

One thing that was pointed out to me (by I forget whom) is that events SEEM to often come in pairs. You get teleported, and a few minutes later you get teleported again.
I think that if you were to do any statistics on that, you'd find no significant effect.

Yea, you're probably right (cut and paste from tonight's srv_log.txt file, extra clutter deleted):

[22:14:42] bkc56 was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 448 worth of harvesting exp.

[22:19:16] bkc56 was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 2100 worth of harvesting exp.

[22:25:16] bkc56 just hit a teleport nexus, and departed us.

[22:27:37] bkc56 just hit a teleport nexus, and departed us.

[22:31:18] bkc56 was stung by a bee, losing 6 health

[22:51:52] bkc56 was stung by a bee, losing 6 health

True, there's lots of times when they aren't in pairs. But if events were truly random I would not expect to see pairing of events as shown above as often as I do.

Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT WANT IT "FIXED". It's the only shot I currently have to get a 10x blessing with less risk to my medallion.

What you are seeing is what you want to see.

I am sure that if you want to see an extra blessing followed by a wall collapse, you can find plenty.

What you are seeing is what you want to see.

You're probably right, but we should abandon this bunny-trail and get back to the topic of the usefulness of the Harvester Medallion.

We still have the fundamental situation that most people will loose big-time with the medallions, and a few lucky "winners" will break-even or perhaps even do a little better. While I've seen comments along the lines of "I tried them <fill in experiences> and I don't use them anymore", I've never seen a comment of the form "I tried them <fill in experiences> and I use them all the time now".

Well then bck56 here's the comment you haven't seen.

I've tried the harvester medallions. Initially, I didn't like their break rate. However, since I've started only using it during the first 120 harvests each hour I love them. When I have them I use them. This doesn't mean that I'll go out of my way to ensure that I'll always have one, but when I do (which is often) it is used. The same goes for at least a few other players I know.

Here's the results of my last medallion:

[12:47:30] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 180 gold coins

[20:58:40] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 4940 worth of harvesting exp.

[08:25:45] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 6460 worth of harvesting exp.

[10:21:11] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 2570 worth of harvesting exp.

[10:26:03] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 5720 worth of harvesting exp.

[11:54:51] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 160 gold coins

[22:00:57] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 150 gold coins

[08:28:33] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 170 gold coins

[15:43:54] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 190 gold coins

[23:10:16] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 3940 worth of harvesting exp.

[21:26:52] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 4420 worth of harvesting exp.

[22:47:16] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 200 gold coins

[10:11:45] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 4100 worth of harvesting exp.

[11:09:56] Blackthorne was blessed by the Queen of Nature with 6890 worth of harvesting exp.

[14:11:18] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 170 gold coins

[14:14:38] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 130 gold coins

[17:18:47] Blackthorne found a bag of gold, getting 130 gold coins

[19:51:35] Your Harvester Medallion has been destroyed

Other's might disagree, but I see the above as a good reason to use one.

Edited by jamincollins

I never really considered Buying a harvester med... then my guildie (sweetthang) gave me one that she made... I rubbed my hands together and said wheeeeee... free exp and gold...

I only used the med during harvest hour (as i was aware of the breakage issue and the fact that MN only blesses during exp period).. On my second harvest session (at the NC fruit) the med broke.. And I had received ZERO benefit from it... :) I suppose in my case that it was a case of break even... I recieved back exactly what I paid for the med ............ :D

With this in mind I think that I would be better off buying 7kgc worth of lucky dips off tinkerbell ... :w00t:

Maybe we should just start toappreciate the things that are implemented into this game, yes some stuff don't get the gc's back that u paid for it.. I once (or maybe twice, or even maybe 40 times) bought a titanium plate body armor, it 1 time broke after just fighting 1 ogre, should i now go complain that i didn'' t got 70k gc out of monster drops before it broke??

I know that this isn't exactly the same, but still, sometimes when u harvest with harv med u will get 20k gc and 30k exp from the med, sometimes u will get 500 gc and 1k exp before it breaks, but if u buy 10 and add up all the coins and exp u recieved u might get surprised that it does pay back for the price u bought the harv med for...

But all i really want to say: be happy with what the game gives u, new items implemented, new books to read, new monsters to kill, instead of criticize (or however u spell it :)) the new items.

I like this medallion. I hesitate to post why as I am glad others are choosing not to use it.

Instead I have a question.

How much gc is 1 harvesting xp worth?

How much gc is 1 harvesting xp worth?

If you skim the other thread referenced above there were some attempts made to quantify what experience is worth in gc based on what it cost in other skills.

[...]

But all i really want to say: be happy with what the game gives u, new items implemented, new books to read, new monsters to kill, instead of criticize (or however u spell it :)) the new items.

Oh, but I won't criticise anything...I only would say that if an item is useless (because it not produce more than it cost), soon no1 will buy that, and no1 will make it.

But I understand anyway the utility of this item, thanks to the posts of the community :) and I will soon buy one another harvester med (when the bank says that I can :)).

thanks to all! :)