Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

What is your opinion about multiplaying?

Would you like to be able to multiplay?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to multiplay?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
  2. 2. If the previous answer was yes, what kind of multiplaying would be ok?

• Economical only (trades, muling, item swaps)
    • Combat only (including PKing, magic)
    • Both of them
    • Neither (voted no)

Another thing to remember, allowing multiple characters per IP to interact does NOT limit the situation to pure alts. Limiting alts per IP would, in essence, limit the number of people per IP that are legally allowed to play.

Some have stated to limit the number of characters allowed per IP, and place restrictions on additional characters. This would have an extreme affect on families, and households where many play.

There is a difference between having multiple legitimate separate players on one IP, and one person having several alternate characters.

Is mutliplaying considered one person controlling multiple characters concurrently? OR Multiple characters logged in from the same IP?

One I am against, the other I am all for.

Is mutliplaying considered one person controlling multiple characters concurrently? OR Multiple characters logged in from the same IP?

The multiplaying we are discussing, which is currently illegal, is one person having multiple characters that will benefit himself. In theory, it's clear cut...yet in practice it's not. Sometimes there really are more than one legitimate players on one IP yet one person uses those other characters (as in being the only one online with them) as mules or secondary characters to help himself. Sometimes characters are shared and mix and match and trade or bagtrade and try to get around the technical rules with fancy maneuvering. Sometimes somebody will use a second char to sit and grab a deathbag, etc etc etc. As it stands now, the intent is to prevent people gaining unfair advantages by using mules or extra characters as storage, or getting around some negative perks...

We have seen all sorts of tricks pulled...and it is very hard to moderate and monitor. And yet there are some very valid concerns about letting it become an alt free-for-all and anything goes. There are pros and cons for both decisions. It is not an easy one.

Strangely, none posted one more reason for having multiple characters - one of them is for those who want to train a character for future guard-bots. I admit I do not know if one can boost a/d for guard-bot or not (i guess not). Boosting p/c is lame. ;) What if I do not want to buy a boost and want just to trade my bot till it gets ~100+ a/d and than make a smart&fast PKer out of it?

I would like to play with my original character as well, in parallel, at least to see PMs, GMs etc. And probably few times per day I would have to give some stuff to my future bot-to-be.

If You read my previous posts about what kind of alt-characters we have, and reason why would someone need those, this type is actually the fourth, and IMHO pretty much legitimate.

Edited by Dejan

After you have developed a bot, you must put it under the control of a program of some kind, as I understand it.

As far as I know. I am currently playing within the rules. I am using both my characters at the same time. I am involved in chatting with my guild and those who are interested in talking where ever my characters are. I am only using 1 machine. My two characters aside from seeing each others guild messages have no interaction.

One of my characters is my main, the other is my alt which I am building up to use as a bot.

The IP restriction is a reasonable guideline for what to look into however hard set rules about it would be unreasonable and useless. I wrote several paragraphs about the reasons why but it went into too much detail about what to do to get around some of the road blocks.

The Mods here are great and they have been dealing with these issues for a while. They value the fact that people play together at some locations and they seem to have a good grasp on whom they track down. If the changes happen then most of the security they do will remain the same unless it is for a free for all with the alts (which I would be supprised to see). Even then there well be a lot of monitoring to do to see how it all works out.

I think change is good and this is a game in development. If something goes horribly wrong they can always just erase us all and we will start again.

Edited by senkrad

I think change is good and this is a game in development. If something goes horribly wrong they can always just erase us all and we will start again.

Er.... :) somehow i don't see erasing us all as a good solution to a problem. If it is going to screw up the game enough that entropy would need to erase us all, then its probably not a good idea to begin with. Not saying that it IS gonna necisarily screw up the game that bad. Just saying that i don't think its a good idea to make changes to the game with the thinking. 'oh if it goes wrong we will just delete everybody and start over' :D

But what will happen if 1000 new players will start playing the game?(i am not talking about multi here)Shall we say to ent plz dont allow more new players to play cause the community spirit will be lost?

And finally its a common tactic to allow multi in most rpg games. Unless blizzard that allows multi are a bunch of amatuers and we know better than them if multi will benefit a game or not.

I agree fully with agis in this part most games i know allow mulitplay and the economy is not ruined like some of you predict. Some games even have a shared storage between all chars.

Do you know those games well? Let's sum up some of the differences:

• An enormous amount of different items
  • No unlimited recourses
  • Class systems, forcing cooperation because of limitations with race/classes
  • Need for different classes to gain exp as one character
  • Pay for play, or one username per set of characters
  • No serious advantage to be made from alts, because uber items require raids, mains provide twinkies for alts, rather then alts provide stuff for mains
  • Non tradeable items, being the better items
  • Stats/abilities increase mostly with items, rather then exp.
  • I'm not even done yet.

I seriously would advise anyone that has not built multi-disciplined character by themselves to not try to imagine how big the advantage in el is to trade with your own chars.

Secondly, I'd like to see which mods would think there will be less work for them with restricted multiplay, then illegal multiplay. For example, how would you even judge scamming? If I buy something for way too low price, did I scam that person or did the other person play an act to do me a favor, then to turn me in as scammer? That's a bigger mess then clear-cut same ip trading.

Do u play another multi game?Can u tell me your chars and the servers u play to see if u know the game?

The are many items to cover many needs for different classes,races and alts.

Limited recourses?

There is a cooldown but u dont need unlimited resources. For example u can make a bandage with a piece of linen cloth.

No serious advantages from alts?A hunter with a pet can help my warrior char a lot, or a mage to buff the warrior.Also an alt can help u to level up faster and get the non tradeable items.Or an engineer can help a lot a blacksmith...

Stats increase with items?You cant wear items if u wont level up u know...u need oa and not nexuses.

Btw a level 15 player with crapy items can kill a char with a level 23 that has better items .Everything depends from your build...

And i am not even done yet

Edited by agis29

But what will happen if 1000 new players will start playing the game?(i am not talking about multi here)Shall we say to ent plz dont allow more new players to play cause the community spirit will be lost?

And finally its a common tactic to allow multi in most rpg games. Unless blizzard that allows multi are a bunch of amatuers and we know better than them if multi will benefit a game or not.

I agree fully with agis in this part most games i know allow mulitplay and the economy is not ruined like some of you predict. Some games even have a shared storage between all chars.

Do you know those games well? Let's sum up some of the differences:

• An enormous amount of different items
  • No unlimited recourses
  • Class systems, forcing cooperation because of limitations with race/classes
  • Need for different classes to gain exp as one character
  • Pay for play, or one username per set of characters
  • No serious advantage to be made from alts, because uber items require raids, mains provide twinkies for alts, rather then alts provide stuff for mains
  • Non tradeable items, being the better items
  • Stats/abilities increase mostly with items, rather then exp.
  • I'm not even done yet.

I seriously would advise anyone that has not built multi-disciplined character by themselves to not try to imagine how big the advantage in el is to trade with your own chars.

Secondly, I'd like to see which mods would think there will be less work for them with restricted multiplay, then illegal multiplay. For example, how would you even judge scamming? If I buy something for way too low price, did I scam that person or did the other person play an act to do me a favor, then to turn me in as scammer? That's a bigger mess then clear-cut same ip trading.

Do u play another multi game?Can u tell me your chars and the servers u play to see if u know the game?

Retired, level 67 druid, Morden Rasp server, 240 or so AA's, Everquest, with alts:

58 Warrior with 30+AA's, 45 Chanter, and some low levels I got tired of.

Druid wears no non-raid gear anymore, obviously, so no, shared bank had no influence on main's progress at all.

The are many items to cover many needs for different classes,races and alts.

Exactly, my chanter can't wear leather, my druid can't wear plate, etc etc. Only in noob levels there's some advantages to be made and if you can pay for 3 accounts and run 3 clients then you can level yourself quite far. Some macroing (which is allowed there too) and you can fill a group yourself. However, you won't complete epics that way, or boss raids and thus will always be mediocre. This isn't the case with el, as everyone can wear everything once they got 10 human nexus and that isn't exactly a lot and there are no items you can only get by cooperating with 30+ people and then be lucky on the drops.

Limited recourses?

There is a cooldown but u dont need unlimited resources. For example u can make a bandage with a piece of linen cloth.

Not sure how relevant this is. You are not affected by cooldown when harvesting and running stuff to flowershop.

No serious advantages from alts?A hunter with a pet can help my warrior char a lot, or a mage to buff the warrior.Also an alt can help u to level up faster and get the non tradeable items.Or an engineer can help a lot a blacksmith...

Stats increase with items?You cant wear items if u wont level up u know...u need oa and not nexuses.

Btw a level 15 player with crapy items can kill a char with a level 23 that has better items .Everything depends from your build...

And i am not even done yet

Indeed you aren't, you have a lot to learn still. None of what you say matters, when you get passed the noob levels. To get back to el: a 500 emu char with mid 20 harv can already make >1k hour on slow flowers to shop, having that idling while playing your main is a breeze. So, 15 hours of that and you have 1 hydro bar from npc \o/. See the problem, when that newb char actually levels up more? My guess is you don't, maybe some day :rolleyes:

Guest ohmygod

When is a decision going to be made on this? The longer it is left the more yes votes there are.

Yes votes wins IMO.

New school players are wanting a change. Us old schoolers just have to accept that and make change to our game play too.

I respect my work putted in my account, and thats why i will never sell it no matter what.

Same, but, as i have recently discovered, 2 years of my life spent lvling my character can be wiped out in an instant if some individual trusted with the power to "moderate" the game has had a bad day.

Edited by ohmygod

When is a decision going to be made on this? The longer it is left the more yes votes there are.

Yes votes wins IMO.

However, notice that this thread is for our information, and for our informtion alone; it doesn't mean that if people vote for it we'll make it legal, or that if people vote against it we won't make it legal. We are just trying to see what people think of it, and we'll have the final vote.

Same, but, as i have recently discovered, 2 years of my life spent lvling my character can be wiped out in an instant if some individual trusted with the power to "moderate" the game has had a bad day.

WTF???

I voted no, because I believe in interaction between players and the fact that we highly rely on others. In my opinion having open multiplay would damage the amount of player interaction which a mmorpg is all about.

Note that i still think that would be nice that if/when there is need for another server, some early mistakes like MM perk and restoration which restore all hp get fixed, and it would be a nice thing.

Yup, i agree abut that.

I wont comment other stuff, i can only tell u, u know some things but u r wrong about some also, if muf or luci wanna reply and clear it out to u than its their choice. Not my business + very offtopic anyways :)

it dosent matter what i say empi ill never get credit for my 450mill exp+ not to mention level 90 alch 77 manu and wtf ever else i did, and matess char got plenty exp when we trained he had 10 less cord BUT 20 more p ...yea i got more exp but it wasent monumental ..not even 300k per hour(char was godless) i got the real exp from yeti

Why don't you just allow people to do it for a while and see what happens? The only real way to see what happens is to test something. :icon13:

like asgnny said earlier.. allow it once, and all the stuff from alts is transferred to main chars. a lot of people have alts with decent storages. hard to reverse that..

like asgnny said earlier.. allow it once, and all the stuff from alts is transferred to main chars. a lot of people have alts with decent storages. hard to reverse that..

Maybe... But there are many ways of doing that anyways, without getting caught, as such.. Only way to see if something will or will not work, is to test is throughly, no?

Allowing Multi won't do anything apart from give people the GC to buy the things that there main looses, for example if your main is 120 a/d fighter, you'll need many Titanium Plate Sets, so alot of the GC will go straight from there 'harvesting alt' to the Manu'ers who make the Plate Sets.. And don't say there alts will make there Plate stuff, cause to get a account to +70 manu (To make stuff well) will take ages.

And now with the addition of Hydro Bars > Nexus, and Removal Stones (Nexus & Attributes) 1 character can and will be able to do everything.. Take MufossA's old account, he got to 140s+ a/d, and 75 and 90+ alch and Manu.. He needed no alt to make him gc.

So I don't see why loads of you voted no, as this really wont do anything to the economy or other things in EL.

Just my 2cents.

Liquid.

#Edit - I think thats one of my longest posts ever. :icon13:

Edited by Knuckles

I voted no, if we allowed multiplaying there would be a million of the same person harvesting and making mad money...its more fair if everyone only has 1 character. :icon4:

When I am running an alt at the same time as my main character I have more interaction in game not less. I see more of my friends and that means I chat more not less. If my characters were together working together that would not happen but if multiplay is made legal then I can guarantee my alt would not be my shadow. It is too useful to be in more than one place at one time.

IMO if someone uses multiplay as an excuse to dump their friends and the community then they were never worth having in the community. As far as I am concerned if some people go quiet because of multiplay it will be a blessing because obviously they did not have anything worth saying. People are here for the community not the game. The game is the best free game going but it is a beta tester. Things get changed around on us all of the time and this poll is one of the things that shows it. There have been massive changes since the game started and the community is still here.

If you drop out of the conversation due to multiplay, good riddance. :) I know for a fact that my friends will still be here and we will have more interaction not less because we will be able to do more stuff even when real life takes a friend or two away from the game that day. The game will change but people will not. If they were the kind who would drop you in an instant if the chance was given to them then that is what they will do. Giving them the chance to do it does not make the idea bad it reveals the bad character of the person.

TirunCollimdus

Well, I read all 11 pages of posts before voting and eventually decided to vote Yes. I think The_Piper's first post summed up the pros and cons fairly accurately.

However, I think Conavar's idea of an autologout feature is well worth exploring to avoid lots of abandoned characters lying around AFK.

Soon will be my second year EL anniversary. As quite experienced EL player, and player who used alternate characters NOT just for muling, but for separate development (I had one dwarf which was potioner/manufacturer and one human for various hunt/PK tests with perks/nexuses/attributes) I honestly believe that multiplay will not affect EL in any bad way, but would just make this game MORE FUNNY and ENJOYABLE. I do not care if it means more bagjumpers/scammers in-game. There are such people in real life as well - many of them. :P

404 people have voted by my count. I would say that is pretty much everyone in EL who really cares. I think any votes after this will just be people paying newbies to vote so their side wins. Yes the vote was close but nonetheless the yes votes still won the vote. The topic seems to be dead now so I was wondering if the decision has been made and if multiplay will be allowed. Are there going to be limitations as some have suggested or just the rule against scamming?

It has been over 2 weeks now and I think on an issue this important everyone who has something to say has already said it. Let's do this if we are going to do it so we can put the issue behind us and just play the game. We always have to make adjustments to changes when they come and not all changes are popular with everyone. Cooldown was a close vote too before the poll got shafted and it got put in. If we can't get a yes or no, then how about a time frame for a yes or no. :huh:

TirunCollimdus coGM of PATH

The only way i would multiplay would be to have characters who have lots of PP's put into nexus's and whatnot...To harv. seridium..tin...copper...

However, notice that this thread is for our information, and for our informtion alone; it doesn't mean that if people vote for it we'll make it legal, or that if people vote against it we won't make it legal. We are just trying to see what people think of it, and we'll have the final vote.

Yes the vote was close but nonetheless the yes votes still won the vote. The topic seems to be dead now so I was wondering if the decision has been made and if multiplay will be allowed. Are there going to be limitations as some have suggested or just the rule against scamming?

This was never intended to be a decisive poll. And multiple posts indicate that moderating the game would become harder not easier, thus gaining the hard working folks an increase in headaches.

In addition to the points already mentioned multiple times that speak out against multiplay, allowing multiplay will compel players to multiplay as well, solely for not being disadvantaged and we're back at "who can run the most clients", my two year old laptop can do at least 4 (and yes, I FPs/toad-mixed close to 7k BRs while harvesting lilacs on two alts for a test, just having alts pile up resources for me would be easier as I could skip the NPC interaction as long as I'm on a map with a outdoor storage).

Anyways, as I quoted above, doesn't matter who "wins" the poll.

This was never intended to be a decisive poll. And multiple posts indicate that moderating the game would become harder not easier, thus gaining the hard working folks an increase in headaches.

Can you point me the relevant posts? I fail to understand, multiplay is forbidden under the rule "Do not cheat", and if it get changed, no special thing get added, just removed.

Less rules -> less rules broken -> less problems to mods to solve -> less overhead for the mods.

Its wrong the stuff above?

Anyways, although "Yes" won, the "No" folks were far more vocal against the proposal. And that is surprising to me since there are not a solid argument against (

And just to note again: people who want to transfer the work from char A to char B, would do so sooner or later. Therefore there should happen all the problems the "No folks" boldly profetized, but i fail to see any of that stuff on game).