Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

What is your opinion about multiplaying?

Would you like to be able to multiplay?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to multiplay?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
  2. 2. If the previous answer was yes, what kind of multiplaying would be ok?

• Economical only (trades, muling, item swaps)
    • Combat only (including PKing, magic)
    • Both of them
    • Neither (voted no)

But what will happen if 1000 new players will start playing the game?(i am not talking about multi here)Shall we say to ent plz dont allow more new players to play cause the community spirit will be lost?

And finally its a common tactic to allow multi in most rpg games. Unless blizzard that allows multi are a bunch of amatuers and we know better than them if multi will benefit a game or not.

I agree fully with agis in this part most games i know allow mulitplay and the economy is not ruined like some of you predict. Some games even have a shared storage between all chars.

I haven't voted yet. I want to give it a bit more thought but of course my automatic reaction is NO. I've worked hard for 2 years to get a fairly mid-level char - (yes i have job and RL so don't play as much as others) with no alts. It bugs me when I see people buying/selling things (NMT nice armour) for hundreds of thousands GC who have only been playing for a month cos they have a load of alts harv'ing and hauling for them.

However anyone who votes no and then does end up getting caught multi-playing should get a ban/reset :):icon13:

Maybe we should go down the route of EL "accounts" each player has an account but you can have no more than 2 maybe 3 chars on each account and each IP address is limited to one account. That means man/wife can play, single players can have an alt or 2 and if multiplaying was allowed it wouldn't get out of hand. If someone decided they wanted a new char and already have the maximum of 3 they'd have to do a killme...

Maybe something to think about but feel free to tear it apart :)

This is a great idea! reminds me of guildwars or WOW

@bep: PK lookout would still be prohibited I'd think, and others and I disputed most of your other points above already :) From my own harvesting experience I know mother nature doesn't interrupt you enough to make harvesting with a bunch of alts a waste of time. For storage slots discussion there's a thread in suggestion forum, maybe have a look at that :icon13:

Sorry you accuse me for multi harvesting? Dont believe it. I believe in fair play. Ask anybody around who knows me ingame, how much time i spend with my main character. Because i was ill, I could spend 100 hour a week. And i did that the last half year. I never pvp (look my attack and defence quotient). Sometime i was so extremely efficient you dont want to know and you cant know.

Maybe one tip for you, because u cant imagine it. While waiting for next spawn I harvest toadstool, eat it and make 250 he or 50 diss rings during training. Then on non hnh times i harvest flower to bring back to storage after training. If you have the guts next time i fight you in pk area naked and my hand tights and give you a good spank ("how can he do that?"). And why the hack does Bep have so high oa? hmmm I reset 2 years ago and every second i can generate exp. in any skill? How can a toadstool addict playing mulit?

It is a waist of time to play multy if you want to level up any skills for your main char. That i found out 2 years ago. Think you are jealous. DONT be. No fun being ill.

Edited by bep

I voted yes but only because my husband and I both play and I'm half afraid to be in the same map as him for fear we get hit up for multiplaying. We have been questioned by mods about this already.

I know a mod is going to pipe up and say there is more to it than this, but this is how my wife, daughter, and I have handled this.

Shortly after we first started we had a LAN party at hour house. Several friends started playing EL and we had a lot of same IP trading. Once the mods questioned us we explained the situation and that we had these parties from time to time. We've since relocated but still have my daughter, my wife, and I playing from the same IP address with numerous trades among ourselves without question or complaint from the mods that I've seen.

In short, be honest with the mods. Tell them up front if you can.

The problem with everyone doing this is that mods are now going to have to discern whos lying about having multiple family members play, don't you think so? I'm hoping that multi will be allowed, along with other changes to balance it. There has been some great suggestions, and i'm sure the mods had a few ideas in mind before asking us our opinions. I think it could be a cool thing that would reduce the workload of mods who watch for multi players.

@bep: PK lookout would still be prohibited I'd think, and others and I disputed most of your other points above already :) From my own harvesting experience I know mother nature doesn't interrupt you enough to make harvesting with a bunch of alts a waste of time. For storage slots discussion there's a thread in suggestion forum, maybe have a look at that :icon13:

Sorry you accuse me for multi harvesting?

Nothing in what I said is accusing you of multi harvesting. You said multi harvesting wasn't possible/profitable, I said you are wrong :)

edit: and for the rest of your post, I'll just ignore that :)

Edited by Ermabwed

I know a mod is going to pipe up and say there is more to it than this, but this is how my wife, daughter, and I have handled this.

Shortly after we first started we had a LAN party at hour house. Several friends started playing EL and we had a lot of same IP trading. Once the mods questioned us we explained the situation and that we had these parties from time to time. We've since relocated but still have my daughter, my wife, and I playing from the same IP address with numerous trades among ourselves without question or complaint from the mods that I've seen.

In short, be honest with the mods. Tell them up front if you can.

The problem with everyone doing this is that mods are now going to have to discern whos lying about having multiple family members play, don't you think so?

No, I don't think so. Why? Because I've done what people keep saying they are afraid of doing. I did it on a regular basis, every two weeks I'd have a group of players at my house. No problems. Why? Because we were honest with the mods and told them upfront about the situation.

I trade with my wife's character, from the same IP, almost every single time we are online together. Why? Because our characters compliment each other. I frequently gather the goods for her crafting and manufacturing and trade them to her. Likewise she helps me gathering ingredients for potions when needed.

I'm shocked that so many families are scared of playing with their other family members for fear of losing their characters. Inform the mods upfront, and be honest.

I voted yes for several reasons, but there should be some limitations.

Would it be a big impact on the economy?

I highly doubt that. I dont expect that everybody will create at once an army of alts and go harvesting with them. And as Entropy said, alt chars dont only make money, they burn money too by leveling them. For example, they buy pickaxes or leather gloves or essies.

Only the RL rich players will benefit because they can run more than one client.

Who cares, they buy already stuff from the shop and sell it in game to make money. Which is not only *unfair* :omg: but they support the game right now with real bucks when they buy from the shop.

And without macroing, you dont benefit that much imo by running several clients, since its still only you, one person, who controlls them all. So you have to share your time between the chars and cant train your main char for 100% of your time and make money with the alts in the background.

And yes, macroing should be of course illegal. I think, we (community/mods) do a good job finding macroers right now ;)

The community will change, no one will work as a team and just use alts

Again, i doubt that. Where is the fun chatting with guildies/friends while doing guild projects when you just use your alt chars. Will you chat with them then? :D

But families wont get banned, lan parties, playing at friends houses is possible then!

Yes. Is that a bad thing?

Ppl will use alts for spying in KF

Doh.. i think all that pker n00bs know for sure, or will know very fast, who uses which alt for spying. So they know who is waiting outside and may enter in a minute to slaughter them. So they can teleport out to be safe.

Limitations??

Yes, to make it harder to have an advantage by multiplaying. Like, only 7 same IP trades per week are allowed, or only 1000 items per week may be traded, or negative perks are harder to get to make it harder to set up a mule or you can only wear certain cloaks with a given OA level. Things like that.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Piper

I voted yes for several reasons, but there should be some limitations.

Would it be a big impact on the economy?

I highly doubt that. I dont expect that everybody will create at once an army of alts and go harvesting with them. And as Entropy said, alt chars dont only make money, they burn money too by leveling them. For example, they buy pickaxes or leather gloves or essies.

Remark: Dont forget those expansive books they have to read:)

Yes, to make it harder to have an advantage by multiplaying. Like, only 7 same IP trades per week are allowed, or only 1000 items per week may be traded, or

Very good idea. The family size will still shrinking in the future so it will be no problem:)

Edited by bep

A small but significant point I feel it necessary to raise here, is that whilst a miner may not then switch to a muling character without being accused of multiplay at the present time (due to this being an unfair advantage), it is still not considered multiplaying for any other type of char (alch/potioner/crafter) to switch to a pker char in order to go fight an enemy.

Isnt that also an unfair advantage?

I realise that most folks out there see multiplaying as running the 2 chars at the same time and possibly interacting between them, but it also is seen as multiplaying if your main (miner) char benefits from the actions of your alt (mule) *edit*:- even if one is logged off to bring the other on *edit*. This is also the case when your other alt (PKer) goes off to fight an enemy of your main chars guild etc, isnt it?

So, since this PK activity is regarded as being acceptable ingame, I therefore vote a Yes to interaction on an economic basis, to allow fair play to the mining and muling side also. (the other alternative of course is to view the PK side as also being multi from this point on but I fear that may not be popular, nor would I be for raising this point :S )

Edited by Pyewacket

Edit: Guess I should have read other posts before voting ;)

After reading Piper's post, I agree with him.

Edited by kat

I voted yes, for reasons stated about multiple family members. I play and also have an alt, and my husband plays as well(with no alt). I also agree with piper he makes some good points. Plus most people who are going to have alts already have them. Yes, I agree that there needs to be limitations though.

Maybe if any of the characters created by the person has antisocial all the new characters he/she will create will directly have the antisocial perk according to his/her ip adress.

I voted yes, but like many of the other people who voted yes I do not believe it should be unregulated multi-accounting.

The current rules can be quite hard to enforce, and are somewhat vague, for instance I have run an alt for a time that did NOT interact with my main, but still in a way benefited from the relationship by knowing where resource deposits, dangerous monsters, pk areas, cave entrances, etc where. This "Knowledge Sharing" is obviously not illegal, and my characters never indulged in scouting specifically, but I found many things of interest to my other character while playing the one of them.

More importantly is the reason I created my alt, I realized if I wanted to be a good fighter I could never be a good harvester/crafter/manuer/potioner, because of the pickpoint system, I enjoy doing those things so I created an account to enjoy that part of the game, although my main character would not benefit from it. However crafting things without purpose got boring, so I haven't played GreatDuck (My alt) for some time now, because there is no point in making an item that will not benefit Duck2 (My main, obviously). If multi-playing in a economic sense was allowed then GreatDuck could become useful to me by making SRs and TP rings and so forth for Duck2, however I would not consider that an unfair advantage because it takes a lot of work to make a character that is good at making SRs and TP rings (good at means doesn't fail 3 out of 4 times). And I would still have to put a lot of time into GreatDuck to make that possible.

As for doing everything for yourself, it isn't going to happen, period. I have played several other games were multiplaying is fully legal, it is a real pain doing team projects with yourself. Fighting in a team with yourself is almost impossible (especially in pk), and lvling up a high lvl mixer is a lot of work, and time taken away from your main. And as Piper pointed out, chatting with yourself gets boring really fast :) .

One way or another it will not effect me, I have mostly left the game and the time between log ons will get rarer and rarer, this is not the fault of the game or community but the fact that I am moving out of school and into the US Army, so obviously maintaining a MMORPG character becomes difficult. I do like this game and I think deregulating the Multi-player bit is a very good idea, although total deregulation is a very bad idea.

--Duck2

Well, I voted "no" in spite of the no-multiplaying rule being a pain for me and my wife. It really does suck when you can't work/fight/trade with your spouse/SO/sibling, but I voted a firm "no" anyway. Why?

Well, I think that many of the changes in the game have been very positive over the last year. I think that there have been some very effective gc sinks, which was needed, and many of the new items have been very, very heavy, which was needed to cool what I'll call the XP economy. I hate how much gypsum weighs, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think that all of that progress will be nullified with an army of alts. You can make a lot of money in this game by harving then alching, so people could multiply those earnings by however many alts they can wrangle at once. It reminds me of those kooks that play 40 Bingo cards at the same time. Not cool.

Another positive that would go by the wayside would be what I'll call the "Slow Dung Movement" (please forgive me). I think the slowness of the dung harving is a good thing, but if I set up 15 characters to do my dunging, it's nullified.

Lastly I agree with those who believe that it will have a negative impact on the social nature of this game. Who will have time to chat if you have to be managing your pair of fighting alts, while tending to a half-a-dozen harving alts. You'd have to do that to be competitive in the game- you'd have to keep up with the Jones.

What I am wondering, Ent, is: what problem is this solving, other than to allow family members to trade? It seems like an awfully big and risky change if it's just for that.

scaf

P.S.

An observation: the overwhelming majority of the comments here have been opposed to multi-playing, yet the voting is close. Why is that, I wonder?

The community will change, no one will work as a team and just use alts

Again, i doubt that. Where is the fun chatting with guildies/friends while doing guild projects when you just use your alt chars. Will you chat with them then? :)

Don't doubt it. We have more than enough of the hard-core-power-players here. IMO, power playing is the least fun thing, I'd never do it so I agree with your statment of "where is the fun"...but that's the point. People will do things that we would never consider fun, and make playing a game pointless in many peoples eyes...yet they'll do it :D

Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!
- eternal-lands.com

My opinion is if it ain't broke don't fix it :P

As you know I voted yes. This whole thing with people paranoid about ARMIES of alts is ridiculous. This is just a question about multiplaying in general. Entropy already said there would have to be limits set. He started out the whole thread with a limitation already set. Yes some people in the game will go the power play route and spend less time talking to everyone else and have fewer interactions. MOST of the people in the game will not dump their friends for an 'army' of alts and if they did then who needs them anyway.

The last 50 bans have been for multiplaying. That is a lot of people compared to how many players we have. I have run an alt and chatted with both characters simultaneously myself and there is no way I would give up interacting with other players for running more alts. I could probably run a few more alts and still chat but that would require a computer I don't have and wouldn't be any fun anyway. :P

RULES Entropy's rule already posted is not reiterated.

1) No armies of alts. DUH

2) No alts that sit at NPCs and never move or do anything but help work around antisocial.

Well I was going to put up a whole lot more rules to comfort the paranoid people and their gloom and doom predictions but gee it seems that two more rules was enough. Armies of alts would be noticeable yes? Alts taht never moved would be noticeable yes? So what is the problem?

The people who say it will ruin the economy have already been proven wrong by every MMORPG who allows multiplay. Multiplay makes for a more robust economy and more interaction not less.

The people who will say it will ruin the community. Do you really think so little of the people you chat with every day to think that they will all drop you like a hot potato to go multiplay? If anything multiplay would make more interaction. You don't have an army of alts? Get a few friends together and their alts will make you all into a small group who can do projects together. Multiplay means more interaction and bigger projects not less.

Will prices go down? No. The alts will still need training, supplies and equipment to be useful. Will the community be ruined? No. It will be enhanced because when real life pulls people away you can still do things with a few players if they can each bring an alt. You still get to chat just as much as before and maybe even more because the game will be more fun to play.

This gloom and doom stuff is a load of crap. People with RL money have had and always will have a 'unfair' advantage in EL. They pay for the game. Get over it. People who have desperately little to do in their real lives will be able to use a few alts to massively power game. They have no life so give them a bone eh!!

I really cannot believe that you all are so convinced that the best gaming community online is going to crumble because of multiplay. What if we got those 50 people back who were banned for multiplay? There is more real live people in game. There is so much more stuff in game now and so much more money and equipment needed in game and more is being added all of the time. If those people macroed then no return but if they were just multiplaying then why not?

Why not at least give it a try???? Like I said it is a rule change. They can change it right back. Even if the worst possible scenario happened the game would still recover if the rule was changed back. There is a reason the mods and developers think multiplay might work now. Give them a chance to test it out. Work with them people.

TirunCollimdus

As you know I voted yes. This whole thing with people paranoid about ARMIES of alts is ridiculous. This is just a question about multiplaying in general. Entropy already said there would have to be limits set. He started out the whole thread with a limitation already set. Yes some people in the game will go the power play route and spend less time talking to everyone else and have fewer interactions. MOST of the people in the game will not dump their friends for an 'army' of alts and if they did then who needs them anyway.

It only takes a few players with a few alts to make a significant impact on the economy. Single players have done it before, let alone the possibility of entire guilds with several alts harvesting raw materials.

RULES Entropy's rule already posted is not reiterated.

1) No armies of alts. DUH

2) No alts that sit at NPCs and never move or do anything but help work around antisocial.

Well I was going to put up a whole lot more rules to comfort the paranoid people and their gloom and doom predictions but gee it seems that two more rules was enough. Armies of alts would be noticeable yes? Alts taht never moved would be noticeable yes? So what is the problem?

Who is going to sit at each npc to make sure a given player isn't logging on and off from there? Where is the line drawn? If an alt fills up on fruit before helping a main buy potions from Mira, does that make it legal?

The people who say it will ruin the economy have already been proven wrong by every MMORPG who allows multiplay. Multiplay makes for a more robust economy and more interaction not less.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but EL is fairly unique in allowing any and all players to pursue all skills. There are no "mage" or "warrior" characters, restricted to a single type of play. There is no need to allow multiplay, as there are no restrictions, such as in those other games you elude to, which would force a need for multiple characters.

Will prices go down? No. The alts will still need training, supplies and equipment to be useful. Will the community be ruined? No. It will be enhanced because when real life pulls people away you can still do things with a few players if they can each bring an alt. You still get to chat just as much as before and maybe even more because the game will be more fun to play.

I completely disagree. What I would consider to be "legitimate" alts do need training -- however my issue is with the harvesting mules which would surface en masse, if such a rule change were put forth. The type of multiplaying you describe is already legal, so long as the items created by your alt(s) do not help your other characters.

I really cannot believe that you all are so convinced that the best gaming community online is going to crumble because of multiplay. What if we got those 50 people back who were banned for multiplay? There is more real live people in game. There is so much more stuff in game now and so much more money and equipment needed in game and more is being added all of the time. If those people macroed then no return but if they were just multiplaying then why not?

Harvesting is already a (built-in, legal) macro. This was made as such instead of one click per item since illegal multiplay was...well, illegal. If alts are allowed to harvest using this long-time in-game feature, it will be just as bad as those ebul macroers, which you were happy to see banned.

Why not at least give it a try???? Like I said it is a rule change. They can change it right back. Even if the worst possible scenario happened the game would still recover if the rule was changed back. There is a reason the mods and developers think multiplay might work now. Give them a chance to test it out. Work with them people.

Giving it a try could cause irreparable harm to the economy, at least in the near future. Players would undoubtedly use alts to haul tons of supplies over to main characters. As soon as it becomes legal, even for 10 minutes, it is already too late to go back.

Some mods and devs may think it's a good idea. Not all. Additionally, unless otherwise noted, opinions by most of the people (mods/devs) you mentioned are nothing official unless explicity stated as such.

edit: fixed quote flags

Edited by asgnny

In our guild there is family that is playing. Jammaster and his kids kagen,jaxbot,alxyndyr.

I was never on line at the same time with alyx and i wanted to encourage her by giving her a bp cape and some others items. So i was afraid to give the items to jammaster because i was afraid that they would be banned.

The same thing was happening when we had guild projects. 1 col for each member etc. And jaxbot and kagen were afraid to trade. Jamm and his family are one of nicest persons i met in el. Isn't this a bit unfair for them?

If illegal multi will be allowed several new rules can be added.

1.More harvesting events

2.Maximum 1-2 alts

3.You can trade only at storage

4.Maximum emu for the alt char 300

5.Alt cant take perks like mm

6.If the main char has anti then alt cant take negs.

And i am sure that ent will thing additional and better rules than me.

"Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!"

That description was good 2 years ago. Now u need additional pps for summoning and summoning stones, additional pps for potioning, human 10 for arti cape, additional pps for crafting, enginnering inorganic artificial.

Single players have done it before, let alone the possibility of entire guilds with several alts harvesting raw materials.

And there is the bug in your argumentation, assuming you call Hydrogenium a raw material, not flowers.

It takes some time and money to level an alt char to be able to harvest such raw resources.

It even takes some time and money to level an alt char to be able to go to some of the places where raw resources are located :P

Don't doubt it. We have more than enough of the hard-core-power-players here. IMO, power playing is the least fun thing, I'd never do it so I agree with your statment of "where is the fun"...but that's the point. People will do things that we would never consider fun, and make playing a game pointless in many peoples eyes...yet they'll do it smile.gif

Yes, of course some players will do that. Like some camp at a spawn for 24/7 right now and such.

But i doubt that a lot of players will do that and will harm the community in a significant way.

Well, i guess, we will only find that out by just giving it a try IMO :)

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

In our guild there is family that is playing. Jammaster and his kids kagen,jaxbot,alxyndyr.

I was never on line at the same time with alyx and i wanted to encourage her by giving her a bp cape and some others items. So i was afraid to give the items to jammaster because i was afraid that they would be banned.

The same thing was happening when we had guild projects. 1 col for each member etc. And jaxbot and kagen were afraid to trade. Jamm and his family are one of nicest persons i met in el. Isn't this a bit unfair for them?

If illegal multi will be allowed several new rules can be added.

1.More harvesting events

2.Maximum 1-2 alts

3.You can trade only at storage

4.Maximum emu for the alt char 300

5.Alt cant take perks like mm

6.If the main char has anti then alt cant take negs.

And i am sure that ent will thing additional and better rules than me.

"Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!"

That description was good 2 years ago. Now u need additional pps for summoning and summoning stones, additional pps for potioning, human 10 for arti cape, additional pps for crafting, enginnering inorganic artificial.

Your reason for wanting "illegal multi" to be allowed is so you can trade items to your friends... Then you go on to say that the maximum emu for additional characters would be 300, which would probably rule out trading with your friends anyhow. I think you forgot your point somewhere in your argument.

These rules you specify would require a mod team of 100 people to keep track of all the characters, whom their alts are, whom their friends are, who has which perk, etc. It's completely unrealistic.

This description still holds well today. Maybe use some attribute removal stones and put the PP towards a nexus you need.

Single players have done it before, let alone the possibility of entire guilds with several alts harvesting raw materials.

And there is the bug in your argumentation, assuming you call Hydrogenium a raw material, not flowers.

It takes some time and money to level an alt char to be able to harvest such raw resources.

It even takes some time and money to level an alt char to be able to go to some of the places where raw resources are located :)

I don't consider hydrogenium a raw material, as one must first have a s2e sword to get an ore, for instance. By raw materials, I mean much simpler ingredients, such as silver ore, low-level flower, iron, sulfur, etc. Nothing that an alt couldn't harvest with much more than a few trips to the PL lupines for a pickaxe. As Labrat said, once a player gets to 2900gc for an excavator cape, gc is easy.

Yes, of course some players will do that. Like some camp at a spawn for 24/7 right now and such.

Players camp spawns badly enough right now. What happens when alts all of a sudden bring more HE's and SR's to spawns for the main? MM perk/cloak makes the levels insignificant. All of a sudden, fighters don't even need to come up for air.

But i doubt that a lot of players will do that and will harm the community in a significant way.

As molime has insightfully pointed out, having so many alts parked at resources will kill any semblance of a community.

Well, i guess, we will only find that out by just giving it a try IMO :)

from earlier:

Giving it a try could cause irreparable harm to the economy, at least in the near future. Players would undoubtedly use alts to haul tons of supplies over to main characters. As soon as it becomes legal, even for 10 minutes, it is already too late to go back.

edit: I hate forums :P

Edited by asgnny

I voted NO

I have no alts, (except for a noob char made for experiment neg perks),

you do not need 1 char to fight 1 for harvest 1 for potioning etc. I have friends for this :P

(edit)

maybe, if multiplaying will be legal, should be a good idea make the alts clearly recognizable. ie:

Harlock-alpha

Harlock-beta

Harlock-gamma etc...

Edited by Harlock