Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

What is your opinion about multiplaying?

Would you like to be able to multiplay?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to multiplay?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
  2. 2. If the previous answer was yes, what kind of multiplaying would be ok?

• Economical only (trades, muling, item swaps)
    • Combat only (including PKing, magic)
    • Both of them
    • Neither (voted no)

I wouldn't care if some people trained chars same time (if they can manage it) as long as they are independently done so... Maybe someone could even have a service where he sold chars trained by him/her. (I don't really support that way of playing too much though)

Therefore I voted Yes and Neither.

To be able to trade/mule between the chars or pvp/fight is a big NO, even if I could gain alot from doing so myself.

Edited by Beaverhunter

I wouldn't care if some people trained chars same time (if they can manage it) as long as they are independently done so...

AFAIK it's legal to play two characters at the same time if they don't interact with each other...

Just thought of something else, rather then providing more freedom for 1 person, I'd prefer to see more freedom/rewards for actual cooperation, especially since you Entropy always wanted to see cooperation in the game.

Dig up an old thread about guild storages to see what I mean.

I voted yes. Of course there should be a limit. People that think that if they have 2 alts will become rich are 100% wrong.If someone wants to level up he must concentrate to one of his chars. So nothing will change.

I personally created an alt to experiment and to start summoning cause my main char is 120 oa so its difficult to gather pps.

If multi is impossible to be added then some new negs or a new system to get nexuses easier and cheaper would be welcome.

But lets be honest. There are many players that use different pc's and different ip's to illegal multi...

What do u people prefere? Bans and 600 people on line or multi and 1500?

Guest KevinBarbie

multiplaying could annihilate the academies: people would have a slave to harvest for free and have the stuff twice faster while keeping their gc and then turn the stuff to have double xp + the stuff. Thus allowing multiplaying would require a definition of the subjective notion of fair trades (and it's nice if the prices on the market vary).

vote yes, and on both, the way it is now is just stupid, cuz i could think of alot ways to pass the rule legaly ..

I haven't voted yet. I want to give it a bit more thought but of course my automatic reaction is NO. I've worked hard for 2 years to get a fairly mid-level char - (yes i have job and RL so don't play as much as others) with no alts. It bugs me when I see people buying/selling things (NMT nice armour) for hundreds of thousands GC who have only been playing for a month cos they have a load of alts harv'ing and hauling for them.

However anyone who votes no and then does end up getting caught multi-playing should get a ban/reset :evilgrin::hehe:

Maybe we should go down the route of EL "accounts" each player has an account but you can have no more than 2 maybe 3 chars on each account and each IP address is limited to one account. That means man/wife can play, single players can have an alt or 2 and if multiplaying was allowed it wouldn't get out of hand. If someone decided they wanted a new char and already have the maximum of 3 they'd have to do a killme...

Maybe something to think about but feel free to tear it apart :)

...seems rather inconsistant with guidelines adhered to in the past and smacks of hopelessness in preventing exploits of a few, I voted no and wonder what mayhem in the marketplace will occur when price quotes of multis are used to manipulate the economy

I voted yes but only because my husband and I both play and I'm half afraid to be in the same map as him for fear we get hit up for multiplaying. We have been questioned by mods about this already. I do have an alt but have no need to interact with her (though it would be nice to be able to give her some of my cheap armor I no longer use). My husband also has an alt but has no need to interact between them either. Besides this reason, my answer would be no.

Maybe we should go down the route of EL "accounts" each player has an account but you can have no more than 2 maybe 3 chars on each account and each IP address is limited to one account. That means man/wife can play, single players can have an alt or 2 and if multiplaying was allowed it wouldn't get out of hand. If someone decided they wanted a new char and already have the maximum of 3 they'd have to do a killme...

I voted yes, but this is the way it would make sence (all chars from same acc would have same storage but you could be able to be online with only one)... with the system as it is now it would only cause huge char creation spam :evilgrin:

multiplaying could annihilate the academies: people would have a slave to harvest for free and have the stuff twice faster while keeping their gc and then turn the stuff to have double xp + the stuff. Thus allowing multiplaying would require a definition of the subjective notion of fair trades (and it's nice if the prices on the market vary).

While the guy will minimize and maximize windows to play with "his slave" i ll score 400k exp per hour on fluffies and he ll get 200k.

After a few weeks players will be bored to multi and mainly they ll use alts to take antisocial.

I voted a clear no, for reasons mostly already mentioned:

- it will be mostly a 'race' of who has the most powerful PC

- makes antisocial perk useless

- way more alts will be used, so it would increase the load on the server quite a lot I'd expect

- way more alts (who are just played in the background to harv/mule) would affect the social aspects of a multiplayer game, because between all the alts, finding the actual player is like looking for a needle in a haystack

- the multiplayer aspect would get way less anyway imo, because people can get what they need themselves way easier, less need to trade

- indeed, 'good spots' like the PL lupines would be really really overcrowded

- without being able to explain exactly why I think this, I'm pretty sure the complete atmosphere of the game would change a lot. Different types of players, I don't know. And I think it's a quite commonly accepted opinion that the community is the strength of EL - which would change a LOT.

Probably more reasons but these are the first I came up with without thinking a lot about it.

(and indeed, Beaverhunter, with what you're saying I have the idea you meant to vote no (correct me if I'm wrong), because as far as I understand it the poll is about the (currently) illegal multiplaying where one char benefits from the other. Playing 2 chars independently isn't that illegal multiplaying).

I voted a no on this partly because we have had a lot of players banned for illegal multiplaying in the past. A move like this would make the previous bans seem to be very unfair, even though the bans were put in place while interacting multicharacters on same IP was (and is) illegal - making the bans fair at the time.

If this came in, there will be many players (not sure whether I will be among them) who will make a character purely and simply to sit at a resource and harvest permanently while the main/another alt hauls the lot back to storage or NPC. This will have the unfortunate effect of using up all the space at popular resources. The PL BL bush was mentioned previously (although I'm not sure if I agree with the sentiments echoed there), and this will be a prime spot for alts to congregate around, making it impossible for main characters or even those players who have taken the moral high ground and not made alts, to get there.

Another disadvantage is that this will bring lots of gc into the game; a problem that the team has spent a lot of time combatting with various initiatives.

On the flipside however, this will make it much easier to make the gc needed to buy the books to level skills. It will also allow people to PVP more easily - hold on, that also means that those of the PKers who are immature (not all the fighters, the "l337" ones who PM you with "pwnt!" etc) will be able to have a strong characters in lots of maps at the same time to kill lower level PVPers just so they can steal their posessions. Not actually a positive.

I voted no, reasons were supplied by others above already.

I voted yes. Of course there should be a limit. People that think that if they have 2 alts will become rich are 100% wrong.

Gold coins

bunch of alts with mm perk, inorganic 5, titanium ore, need I say more?

ExperienceTake extracts for example, together they need 20 different flowers, now production is limited by the time one invests in harvesting or it encourages cooperation. If multi was allowed one could set an alt at every resource one needs, trade them all to one's main char and get tons of potion experience on one's main char :evilgrin: (with even more alts one could get all the resources one needs... if you limit it to 1 or 2 alts this would still be a huge (imho unfair) help). This would work for other skills as well obviously :)

What do u people prefere? Bans and 600 people on line or multi and 1500?

Well, in your scenario, there'd still be only 600 people on line but playing on average 2.5 chars, just because people have a cell phone and a land line doesn't get you to talk to two people when you call both numbers :hehe:

I want to be able to trade with my wife without fear of losing my characters, her character, my bots and anything else deemed reasonable.

I regularly give items to my guildies and friends (if it is mine, it is yours is my philosophy) - it is really sad that I can't give her items without forms in triplicate (and notarised last time I checked).

Giving stuff to my alts, well to be honest the answer to that in my view is a definite no - I have been around long enough to know all I need to do is get to 2900 gc and then the game basically takes care of itself.

Should I be able to use my alts to mule for me? again a definite no - I may as well just play on the test server and ask teh god to drop a few million gc for the benefit I get.

Should I be able to pvp against myself? I have to ask myself what is the point? my newb chars would need full tit plate and a sword to stand a chance, and my main won't exactly benefit from 5/5 a/d experience per round..

-------------

edit: voted no, no

Edited by LabRat

a definate NO to multiplaying for several reasons.

Yes, i have been accused of multiplaying and would like to be able to interact with my sister ingame, but can u imagine the account spam? seriously you would have to create new servers just to hold all the alts, EL's economy would practically crash and money wouldnt be worth anything because people would be millionaires..plus my computer barely supports 1 EL client, much less 2..

Pogo (teh all mighty summoner of rocks)

- way more alts (who are just played in the background to harv/mule) would affect the social aspects of a multiplayer game, because between all the alts, finding the actual player is like looking for a needle in a haystack

- without being able to explain exactly why I think this, I'm pretty sure the complete atmosphere of the game would change a lot. Different types of players, I don't know. And I think it's a quite commonly accepted opinion that the community is the strength of EL - which would change a LOT.

These are some very good, and different, points you brought up Molime.

I voted a clear no, for reasons mostly already mentioned:

- it will be mostly a 'race' of who has the most powerful PC

- makes antisocial perk useless

- way more alts will be used, so it would increase the load on the server quite a lot I'd expect

- the multiplayer aspect would get way less anyway imo, because people can get what they need themselves way easier, less need to trade

- indeed, 'good spots' like the PL lupines would be really really overcrowded

I voted no all the way for some of the above reasons:

1 & 4: There is no way to "win" in this game, so being the richest/most powerful PC is pointless. Every skill will become dull and boring. The only "winning" in this game is to have fun with your friends that you make here. Go play WoW or some other game if all you want to do is farm stuff.

4: As others have stated, the market would become flooded with cheap items and there would be a good possibility that the market would collapse or at least become a complete waste of time.

The only thing that I would like to see as far as multi-players on one IP would be for family members to be be able to interact. LabRat summed it up rather well in his first sentence. I know there are a few other families that are affected by this issue.

My husband, myself and numerous grandkids and kids play EL from our computers at different times. The kids love to come to grandma's and play because our internet is cable and they have dial up at home. It would be a sad thing if I had to tell them they couldn't do that because of too many characters from one IP. I have alts and they don't even know each other, but have not been playing them, partly because of so much recent controversy about multi playing. I made them, like someone else said, to try other things. My main is over 5 million experience for each pickpoint now.

Hope this can get sorted out so everyone is comfortable with knowing exactly what the rules are. I would not mind registering the characters who play from my computer if that would help.

I don't really know enough about MMORPG's to be able to evaluate what effect legal multi playing would have on EL so will abstain from vote.

OKay... here's my opinion;

I first looked at the thread and poll, and thought about voting yes, but before I vote on things or post about the first post, I always read the other posts (unless it's like 20 pages of people saying the same things over again).

Everyone here just about voted no, for reasons being that someone out there would ABUSE the rights of multiplaying, (IE; having an alt mule for you while you harvest something you need, say... hydro?).

It would be OKAY only IF it was restricted to some other rules, one idea ould be allowing a cetain amount of items traded a week (say 10,000 items, and this includes gc) and only ONCE a week.

I would love to pass an alt some minor armor, so I can train it, he doesn't have much GC, but, again, as someone has mentioned, you only need to collect 2900gc and you should be all set, if you plan stratagy (which is the whole point in playing).

I can't vote, because, 1. It WOULD be nice for say husband/wives or siblings (in my case it was my mother and I) to be able to hand out somethings to each other that would be perfectly harmless (say a book or something:/)

2. It would provote some major "cheating". Like numarous posts have been made, it would ruin the eco, and just the way people play, I have played a few games which allowed this, and honestly.. you really don't wana think about it, the people turned to crap, and nothing is worth anything when you have people that have over 14 BILLION gold coins. Where they can buy everything in the game at least 3 billion times.

Also, it WOULDN'T be fair to those who got banned for doing it in the past, yes, they DID break the rules, but it just wouldn't seem right at all :/

But you will do what's best, I just stated what I thought, we trust you to do what you can for the game and it's people :evilgrin:

-JrC LEXI

This is a joke.. right Entropy? :evilgrin:

If not, you can make 3 chars harv for your main.

Main can always train or pk, dont worry about gc.

Prices for everthing will be MUCH! higher.

In other words, will make the game unplayable.

Manderijn point is valid, it could be solved by players only allowed one client online at a time for extended periods (i.e. your harvest alt cannot be online for an hour whilst your main is, but they could be both online for say 5 minutes to trade or whatever). As many others have said defeats the purpose of antisocial perk (this can be solved, remove perk). Personally for me I would like to see this change as I have another person plays EL from my IP and it would be nice to trade without worrying each time that I might get banned. Until issues of fairness are solved I cannot vote yes, I feel it would ruin EL economy. (no vote)

EG