Eternal Lands Official Forums
Vegar

Clickable continent map

This is quite a cool little patch. It is very helpful when trying to remember how to get to a map (especially on C2). I like it alot. :-)

(It's handy in saving having to check which maps are which on CEL's website.)

I've tested this patch myself, it's excellent! I often have the urge to click the sections on the map only to remember it's not possible. Good for noobs too.

This would be a wonderful improvement to the usability and information content. It's hard, especially as a new player, to get a feel for what maps are next to what and how you can move around. This would be a great addition.

Sounds good except it looks like some of the map border boxes are offset.

It's using the coordinates from the mapinfo.lst file. Any overlapping/unalignment should be blamed on that file.

The person responsible for mapinfo.lst should apply this patch and make sure the numbers are correct.

Edited by Vegar

Sounds good except it looks like some of the map border boxes are offset.

It's using the coordinates from the mapinfo.lst file. Any overlapping/unalignment should be blamed on that file.

The person responsible for mapinfo.lst should apply this patch and make sure the numbers are correct.

well that would be me but i can't apply patches :D

Oh, almost forgot, it would be nice if someone could look over my texture handling (loading/deleting), as I'm not very familiar with that part of the code.

Nice patch Vegar. Now if it showed the marks for each map you clicked on...

The other map thing I've always wondered about suggesting is a default blank map; a black screen or a special bmp that was themed as a blank map for an explorer. So you can add you own marks to every location. I know you can add a blank bmp for each elm file but a built in default map would be easier.

Why yet another ifdef? Isn't the client already cluttered with ifdefs?

You can't add ifdefs for every little feature, it just obfuscates the code.

Also, I don't want to commit it just yet, the texture handling needs to be reviewed by someone a bit more familiar with that stuff.

Edited by Vegar

works quite nicely... made me wonder "Wait, didn't I have mapmarks for this map?" once, but other than that :P

Interesting point ttlanhil. Perhaps something should be added so that the player can tell it is not the current map they are on. A subtle effect like for example making the map grayscale. Someone is bound to post a bug report "I clicked on the map but nothing happened"... :P

I was wondering if the boundary can have a "mouse over" highlight color? So that way when people drag the mouse over the boudaries they know they're clickable(mainly for newbies)..becuase it's not really evident that you can do that. All it would need is to be just a slightly lighter color than the boundary currently is.

I was wondering if the boundary can have a "mouse over" highlight color? So that way when people drag the mouse over the boudaries they know they're clickable(mainly for newbies)..becuase it's not really evident that you can do that. All it would need is to be just a slightly lighter color than the boundary currently is.

That's done and commited. Feel free to suggest a better colour for the highlighting if you don't like it.

ok. I suggest Yellow :) or Purple. (joke, i havent even seen this function yet)

Seriously though, I think this will be great. I'm always wanting coordinates from another map. :rolleyes: Does it allow you to switch continents too? So you could look at IP while in PV. If not I would ask if that is possible too, with some sort of click in the corner? Just an extra idea, don't feel obliged.

Thankyou for the work you put in for this, I hope to get to play with it soon :)

The highlighting could be "more high".

Patch:

Index: interface.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/interface.c,v
retrieving revision 1.174
diff -u -d -p -r1.174 interface.c
--- interface.c 15 Jun 2007 13:37:58 -0000	  1.174
+++ interface.c 16 Jun 2007 09:39:29 -0000
@@ -949,7 +949,7 @@ void draw_game_map (int map, int mouse_m
							&& m_py > continent_maps[i].y_start && m_py < continent_maps[i].y_end)
							{
									/* Mouse over this map */
-									   glColor3f (0.4f, 0.4f, 0.4f);
+									   glColor3f (0.8f, 0.4f, 0.4f);
									mouseover = 1;
							}
							glVertex2i(300-(50+200*continent_maps[i].x_start/512), 200*continent_maps[i].y_start / 512);

another patch with oscilating frame around map under mouse cursor:

/EDIT1:

completely rewritten, not depending on FPS anymore

Berlios: https://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...p;group_id=1256

/EDIT1

/EDIT2:

unrelated to my patch:

error_log.txt

[20:11:25] interface.c.draw_game_map:1009 - OpenGL stack underflow
[20:11:25] interface.c.Leave2DMode:252 - OpenGL stack underflow

(10000 times)

with -DDEBUG -DOPENGL_TRACE

when I change to the map and use the clickable continent map feature.

Edited by Florian

another patch with oscilating frame around map under mouse cursor:

:( can you explain that better? I wouldn't want anything too flashy...just a simple mouse over highlighting is enough unless i misunderstand you.