Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Linux download

Ok so you are just grabbing the data dir from the first post of this thread, and unzipping it somewhere you have write access to, such as your home dir, then you are downloading and unzipping the binary file, and putting it in the el data dir you unzipped, commenting the datadir directive in el.ini, and then running ./el.x86.linux.bin from the terminal and you are getting those errors.

I really cant see how it will be a permissions problem, and I can see no other way how you cant process those png files. Can you please perform those steps above carefully and try again?

I don't think putting el in /usr/local/games/EL will help you, unless you have multiple logins.

S.

Ok so you are just grabbing the data dir from the first post of this thread, and unzipping it somewhere you have write access to, such as your home dir, then you are downloading and unzipping the binary file, and putting it in the el data dir you unzipped, commenting the datadir directive in el.ini, and then running ./el.x86.linux.bin from the terminal and you are getting those errors.

I really cant see how it will be a permissions problem, and I can see no other way how you cant process those png files. Can you please perform those steps above carefully and try again?

Just do that (again) (+ change for port 2001).

Same like before :-(

I don't think putting el in /usr/local/games/EL will help you, unless you have multiple logins.

S.

Well, I have try that only to see, maybe it can have be like that...

Everybody testing this under Linux, please be aware the default el.ini file is found at ~/.elc/el.ini. If this file is found, all others will be ignored. If this is not found, then any found in the local directory will be used.

Everybody testing this under Linux, please be aware the default el.ini file is found at ~/.elc/el.ini. If this file is found, all others will be ignored. If this is not found, then any found in the local directory will be used.

(...)

And yes, I have make new directory for unzip the 2 zip, and I have change ~/.elc/el.ini like :

(...)

And I have try with and without el.ini in the el directory. But thanks for help...

I have renamed the el.ini file in the EL_140 directory just to be sure it wasn't used :)

Rehdon

PS I've also tried the new hazardous items storage: there seems to be a bug causing the food items in your normal storage to appear if neither coins nor hazardous are selected.

Edited by Rehdon

Fantastic!

32 bit works as expected, no problems, blood works, eye_candy works, framerate is fine.

Many thanks to the people responsible, :)

JasperCat

ok, have opened my eyes a little.

new client binaries from this forum post (calling itself 1.4.0): no eye candy

cvs build from 1 min ago (calling itself 1.3.3): eye candy working

both run from same directory, with same el.ini settings

conclusion :) eye candy not working for me with new client either

Question: is the forum posted client a static binary?

The new client is working well for me, no issues. So far all effects seem to be working, but I decided to poke around in the ini file to see what my settings were for the data_dir, and I discovered it was actually in the in file twice, once right by the description like so:

This option is currently only available on linux, and allows you to 
specify a directory other than the current directory to load data from.
For Gentoo users, the ebuild installs in /usr/share/games/eternal-lands.
#data_dir = /download/games/el/client/el_install

and then further down it was defined again like so:

#data_dir = "./"

I suspect if anyone else has it defined twice, the second definition will overwrite the first, and in my case, I was launching from the data directory itself, so the "./" would be valid. Kabuya, are you launching from the data directory or somewhere else? and do you have "data_dir" defined twice in your el.ini?

(...)Kabuya, are you launching from the data directory or somewhere else? and do you have "data_dir" defined twice in your el.ini?

I launch the binary in the EL directory where are all file and directory, and where are the el.*.bin of other archive too (so even if path is ./, its OK).

And I check el.ini, I have the 2nd data_dir in too, last line. I have try after remove #, same as before......

<edit>The #data_dir = "./" is put at end el.ini only if the 1st one have no # in front, I think because the el.ini need have a data_dir ?</edit>

Edited by Kabuya

ok just tried this client out on the test server

the bag effect works, but im not getting blood or spell effect

OK i have checked the eye candy directory against my cvs on live and it is the same!

No errors in the error log (except a couple of bad lights in ida)

Edited by Flinto

(...)OK i have checked the eye candy directory against my cvs on live and it is the same!(...)

Hmmm, some people here have no problem with binary client and have test with CVS too.

Is it possible a library need for the CVS that is need for this binary client too ? (Im no computer guru, so maybe question is stupid, sorry).

Hello.

My game dir is: /home/birebbi/Desktop/el140/file140/el_install.

I created one new folder, and I renamed the ./elc folder in ./elcold

on test server and with http://el.beplacid.com/downloads/el_140_linux.zip (for the binary)

http://el.beplacid.com/downloads/el_install.zip (data) in a new folder and a new ./elc folder

with in el.ini #data_dir = /home/birebbi/Desktop/el140/file140/el_install. eye-candy don't work

with in el.ini #data_dir = #data_dir = "./" eye candy don't work

on normal server

same folder, only port 2000 changed

with in el.ini #data_dir = /home/birebbi/Desktop/el140/file140/el_install. eye-candy don't work

with in el.ini #data_dir = #data_dir = "./" eye candy don't work

in data dir I put cvs el.x86.linux.bin compiled 10 min ago

with in el.ini #data_dir = /home/birebbi/Desktop/el140/file140/el_install. eye-candy work fine

with in el.ini #data_dir = #data_dir = "./" eye candy work fine

and why el.x86.linux.bin in http://el.beplacid.com/downloads/el_140_linux.zip is 3,3 Mb, and my cvs el.x86.linux.bin is 6,1 Mb?

my el.x86.linux.bin is not a static.

Thanks.

Well, thanks Theryndan, my problem is solve now.

If the eye candy textures cannot load but they are placed in proper directory, you are probably missing libpng12.dll. Look for this file in your EL folder.

So seem .dll is no in Linux, but it is really the problem who was there : I have need libpng library :D

Theryndan have work and find its the library who was miss, so I have install it and now its OK :D

Big thanks for Theryndan, and just at time for update :(

I hope its solution for other with the problem too.

I get the following on my linux laptop:

./el.x86.linux.bin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

any solutions ?

Hi just a quick fyi to linux users. My err_log was full of

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/flare2.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/flare3.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/void1.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/void2.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/void3.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/twinflare1.png'.

To fix this is did a

sudo apt-get install libpng12 libpng12-0 libpng12-dev libpng3 libpng3-dev

Hope this helps

./el.x86.linux.bin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Looks like your kernel has the newer (NSA/SELinux) security extensions enabled. Google on your error message and see what actions people have had to take to work around this.

The linux users, please test the Linux update, and report issues if any

Here are my observations:

Before I found this posting, I downloaded the new client from the www homepage link, moved my .elc to elc-backup, and ran the new client.

1. Most 3D textures were missing. No fire, no trees, no rocks, just some grass and people displayed.

2. After finding this posting I removed the data directory from my stock el.ini

3. I did: $sudo aptitude install libpng12 libpng12-0 libpng12-dev libpng3 libpng3-dev

+ My libpng3 was not installed (I'm not sure if this was important)

4. The client runs perfectly now, all eyecandy, textures, normal sound, seems to work just fine.

The new client works well for me. (Debian Stable, all updates, KDE 3.5.5, GeForce 7800)

Next, I walked to Portland storage to check an old bug that has always plagued my linux system: framerate drops in Portland Storage. In the past I had to turn down particles to prevent lockups in Portland Storage. This bug is gone! Thank you.

When I enter Portland Storage I do get the following (non-important error messages). These were present in the 1.33 client and are still present now:

You entered William's storage!
Too many sounds.
Too many sounds.
Too many sounds.
Too many sounds.
Too many sounds.
Too many sounds.
Too many sounds.
Too many sounds.

The stock el.ini should probably not have a data directory enabled.

Thanks again!

Hi just a quick fyi to linux users. My err_log was full of

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/flare2.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/flare3.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/void1.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/void2.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/void3.png'.

[21:00:39] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/32x32/twinflare1.png'.

To fix this is did a

sudo apt-get install libpng12 libpng12-0 libpng12-dev libpng3 libpng3-dev

Hope this helps

Thanks, indeed the libpng3 lib wasn't installed on my system, I checked for the *2 version and didn't know this one was needed as well (the error message was a bit misleading, usually on Linux you have a "failed to load XXX library" message).

Everything is working great now, ty to all the developers!

Rehdon