Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Exeus

Strehgthen your weapons!

What you should do is make it so you can take ordinary weapons and make them better. How so? Listen.

1) A player buys a iron long sword (500gc)

2) Player buys "Vial of blade poisen" (5Kgc)

3) Player attempts to mix ingreds together to make a " IRON LONG SWORD(Poisend) "

4) Player Sucesfully makes the weapon and sells it to other players for 7-8kgc. ( Prices may verry)

The catch is this: After X number of fights, the poisen wears of and the "IRON LONG SWORD (Poisend)"

Is just a plain old iron long sword.

Players could buy these vials of poisen and others such as, lighting,power,drain etc. at the magic shop or monster drops. It would not only increas number of "rare" swords in game but would also reduce mass amounts of swords being made.

Let me know what you all think :happy:

Exeus (Now just Sir_Exeus)

This kind of thing has been suggested before, and I have never been opposed to it. However, HLFs keep complaining about how this will ruin PK—stronger weapons keep making it harder. Also, each unique item in storage takes up one slot, and fighters will have even fewer slots to spare. I would be fine with this idea only if it were changed so that the poison was a one-time thing; the stuff rubs off after you jab it into your enemy, right? Also, the price is waaaaay to high if it isn't permanent. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

<edit>

You seem to be ignoring my point about storage slots. If it is kept the way you suggested it, slots will be filled very quickly. In fact, it seems like every single idea I've seen in this forum that includes some way to make items more unique has been turned down for that reason or another. And as for the lightning, I think that that would be better as a spell. (I _know_ I'm a bit biased because I am a mage-in-training, but still...)

Edited by draegox

I see what you are saying. But... pk is... PK. Enter at your own risk. If someone has a good weapon thats ok.

You are right. Mebay the poisen lasts for one whol fight? One hit is to little. I mean for poisen, ya it's fine but for lighting strike (Anither idia for blade strength) Will ne more than one hit to make it worth it.

Thats my opinion

Sir_Exeus

Although It is a good idea to have poison added to weapons, its been sudgested millions of times, and I think that something more original needs to come up in this thread before its added. If we just have the simple add poison to sword, then we're just like every single other mmorpg out there. and I personally play EL cause its different.

a bad factor to the idea is that the poison wears off with 'time'. No item in the game is subjected to 'time wear', instead to only a random factor of it destroying/decaying... So doing this would revamp the game!!!

to be honest though we have enough special weapons in the game... and anyway for posion, try using the spell :happy:

All of these should be entitled: Add a Runescrap element to Eternal Lands.

Hear of Reductio ad Hitlerum? Slightly modified it goes:

"Because Runescape (did/has) X, X is not something we want in Eternal Lands."

Here, it's "poisoned weapons". Elsewhere, it may be skill capes, or so on. However, its fallacy is apparent when defining X as, say, "a 3d environment", or "monsters", or "skill-based fighting", or "mining" or (albeit arguably) "archery". Just because runescape has something does not mean that it is a bad idea.

--

Enhanced weapons is a good idea because it gives an edge to an otherwise simple fight - two people standing at each other with thermal serps, capes of no tears, and full steel/titanium casting restore every two seconds and maybe throwing out a summoning stone or two. Plus a sufficient amount of enchantment may give you sufficient edge to kill mobs you normally wouldn't be able to take, for their drops.

He he. Ok To start.... When I said Poisen swords everyone thout of Runescapes (OR ruien your mind scape)

Dragon dagger(P). I used poisen as an example. There could be lighting damage. When a player fights lighting comes down from sky and causes 30% extra damage with every succesfull hit. I DON'T suggets we use poisen in fact. EL has to many ways to get poisend from muchrooms to spell. The posibiltys for types of sword power ups is endless.

Now.... to the one time use issue. It would work the same way rostos work. One death, rosto is gone. One fight, sword loses it's power. Simple :happy: I see no problem with it. Kepp letting me know.

Sir_Exeus

He he. Ok To start.... When I said Poisen swords everyone thout of Runescapes (OR ruien your mind scape)

Dragon dagger(P). I used poisen as an example. There could be lighting damage. When a player fights lighting comes down from sky and causes 30% extra damage with every succesfull hit. I DON'T suggets we use poisen in fact. EL has to many ways to get poisend from muchrooms to spell.

The three current ways to get poisoned: Spell, which is useless thanks to the grossly overpowered magic immunity spell, toadstools, which are used in manufacturing and not in combat, and the potion of invisibility, which, in most cases, avoids combat, not starts it.

The posibiltys for types of sword power ups is endless.

Now.... to the one time use issue. It would work the same way rostos work. One death, rosto is gone. One fight, sword loses it's power. Simple :happy: I see no problem with it. Kepp letting me know.

Sir_Exeus

Which does not resolve the "multiple items" issue. Making them unable to be stored without losing their effect is one possibility. Other ideas that I can think of would be adding another attribute to server-side item storage, which would slow down loading times, writing times, and increase diskspace/RAM footprint, and having it based off either the name or the imageid alone, which causes all sorts of problems.

All of these should be entitled: Add a Runescrap element to Eternal Lands.

Hear of Reductio ad Hitlerum? Slightly modified it goes:

"Because Runescape (did/has) X, X is not something we want in Eternal Lands."

No clone another game that charges and say hi to their lawyers.

Edited by robotbob

1) A player buys a iron long sword (500gc)

Players could buy these vials of poisen and others such as, lighting,power,drain etc. at the magic shop or monster drops. It would not only increas number of "rare" swords in game but would also reduce mass amounts of swords being made.

Potion of lightning?!

Personally I think that people won't be paying 7000 gold coins for an iron sword that poisons people. They can just go and poison someone with the spell named "poison" and wear an iron sword at the same time... There you go! An iron sword enriched with poison :P

(An iron long sword is much cheaper than 500 gold coins.)

No clone another game that charges and say hi to their lawyers.

If "clone" means "take features from", and that would not be thrown out as trivial, there would be an ongoing legal battle through every game that uses potions to increase weapon strength, or increase weapon strength in general. The chain of copying fighting-related skills usually goes D&D->Nethack|Rogue|Early RPG->Others->Others->EL, sometimes skipping Nethack. I have not seen an "original" feature in EL yet.

If "clone" means "take features from"

No clone, as in closely resembles another product enough to be awarded punitive damages.

Granted this isnt an issue atm, because EL doesn't contain enough -unique- items that would

make closely resemble another product. I know from being a contract programmer, I dance around

this very thing. Take an email app for instance, obviously I am not going to be sued because I made an email

app(Its a common idea, that cant be copyrighted), but because mine completely resembles a rich lawyer packed rival that now sees me as a threat.

There is a danger, my single comment was to imply that suggestions need to consider this. People that suggest are users, people that will implement it, are programmers with lawyers in tow.

And I have been sued plenty for less. Most medium to large companies fight lawsuits -weekly-.

I see what you are saying. But... pk is... PK. Enter at your own risk.

Ppl who say that dont pk :P

If risk is too high(too strong enemies with way too strong equipment and way too strong summons that support them) most(all) players who have a brain simply wont enter a pk map( entering a pk map naked is something different, u loose only like 1-2 minutes of ur time needed for getting back from underworld ;)

eMPi

when i read the headline i thought you were talking about something newerish, cause ya its been suggested before and hence we have great weapons with cool effects. but what i thought you meant was having a stone/item ingame you can take to an npc or manu'r ingame and they could sharpen your weapon and it increases the dmg by 1. there'd have to be a limit on how many times u can sharpen it but ya thats what i thought you meant lol

Enhancing weapons temporarily could be done easily enough -- it gives a new weapon with a high breakage rate, which degenerates back to the original form (remember that items cannot have individual attributes).

Make temporarily enhanced weapons not storable; obviously the Storage Company would refuse to handle blades dripping with poison or so sharp they cut the wind. No further pressure on limited storage slots.

Non-storable also stops them from being stockpiled; they are "make-use-lose" items, and you'd really expect them to be prepared just before they are needed. Sure they can be held in inventory or hbags indefinitely, but that has a smaller impact.

Fight! fight! fight!

i like this idea and fyi.... in runescape you can only poison daggers :P

besides this is only a slight change from the upgraded swords anyway

iron sword of fire/ice

tit serp of thermal

tit serp of magic

lastly there isnt a game which has a few same features as another.... one company can not (i hope) copyright chat as a features only in their game. If runescape copyrighted fishing as a feature there wont be another fishing game out there (which is really suck if that happened cus fishing is the fun bit in Zelda ;))

Can you sue a game on such base? I thought there was freedom of expression and stuff like that. Anyway, you can always move to a free country where there is no lawyer induced censorship.

what i kinda get sick of is that ppl seem to badly want to make fights even shorter than they are now allready Oo

this game has enough special weapons/armors and such. i dont think i would need more of em in the near

future.. fighting is allready weird enough with all those cooling and destruction weapons in the game..

In most cases, determining original source material for in-game ideas goes well beyond MMORPG, or even RPGs. Poison weapons come from RL, the concept of invisibility goes back to ancient Greek philosophers, and most fantasy elements have multiple possible sources from literature if not mythology.

If something is original it can be copyrighted or trademarked; so D&D changed from having Hobbits in the original version, to the non-copyrighted Halflings, even though both terms where used in LOTR.

Game mechanics can be copyrighted; but there have been literally hundreds of RPG systems, and I haven't seen anything really original for a very long time.

OK so does anyone like the idia? I mean I see what you all are talking about and let me re-frase it.

1) Player buys iron long sword (500gc)

2) Player buys scroll of lighting. (100gc)

3) Player mixes ingreds to make iron long sword (Lighting Effects)

4) Player sells sword for 700-800gc.

5) Buyer has effetcts on sword until he atacks or ettepmts to put it in his storage.

I see no problem with this. Somne mentioned somthing about "potion of lighting" Um... I said nothing about potions. I said "Vial" Vial of blade poisen. And personaly vote that we do not make a sword that has poisen on it. We could have scrols. Scroll of mana burn. Scroll of life drain. Scroll of fire. etc. There are a few minor problems as there is with everything. If you see a problem other than what I said here post it and let me know. Untill then cya.

P.S. The weapon should have some sign that ii has a magic affect. So players have a chance to see what they are up against. I sugges that the tip of the sword changes color with diffrent effects. E.g. Red tip for LIfe drain.

OK so does anyone like the idia? I mean I see what you all are talking about and let me re-frase it.

1) Player buys iron long sword (500gc)

2) Player buys scroll of lighting. (100gc)

3) Player mixes ingreds to make iron long sword (Lighting Effects)

4) Player sells sword for 700-800gc.

5) Buyer has effetcts on sword until he atacks or ettepmts to put it in his storage.

I see no problem with this. Somne mentioned somthing about "potion of lighting" Um... I said nothing about potions. I said "Vial" Vial of blade poisen. And personaly vote that we do not make a sword that has poisen on it. We could have scrols. Scroll of mana burn. Scroll of life drain. Scroll of fire. etc. There are a few minor problems as there is with everything. If you see a problem other than what I said here post it and let me know. Untill then cya.

P.S. The weapon should have some sign that ii has a magic affect. So players have a chance to see what they are up against. I sugges that the tip of the sword changes color with diffrent effects. E.g. Red tip for LIfe drain.

The dripping sound you hear is from the scammers drooling at the thought of this. Imagine all the newbies they could scam into buying their "Iron Swords of Lighting" without realizing that the effect is temporary... ;)

If you want special effects, attach them to the *character*, not the *weapon*. For instance, you "use" the "Scroll of Lightning", and for x number of minutes you have a lightning effect added to your attack.

Or have a "Medallion of ..." that adds an associated elemental/poision attack to your normal attack.

I *do* like the idea of having "Scroll of ..." for the various spells, but to use directly, rather than attach to a weapon. It would be nice if a player with a relatively low-level magic ability could use a "Scroll of Magic Shield" or some such. Why not - it's just a magical counterpart to the summoning stones. And making the scrolls would make the magic skill useful for generating GC.

With the new engineering skill, perhaps players use a hammer to reforge their weaponry to enhance their power by their engineering skill/5 * random(.5,1.5) ?

Would add some variety in the weaponry as each "enhanced" weapon does not neccesarily have the same amount enhancement

In the event of a fail, you would be left with a damaged blade in need of repair instead of an enhanced weapon :)