Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

For the people with WIndows/Intel video cards

Just tried this on the regular server. Yes, it's still black. I had to shorten the error log because it is too large to post here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log started at 2007-05-25 17:21:56 localtime (Pacific Daylight Time)

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node shield

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node cape

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node weapon

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node shirt

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node boots

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node legs

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node helmet

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node hskin

NOTE: each of the above lines are repeated numerous times and then repeats the same set over and over and over again.

elc/misc.c.my_fopen:421 - Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

elc/misc.c.my_fopen:421 - Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My error log is a total of 720kb of those same lines repeated over and over again.

Edited by CelticLady

Does it do that in other parts of the game too, or only in the dark areas?

Can you delete the log and try again?

Moved to Desert Pines where it is not black. Deleted the log and then restarted the client. It does the same thing, but much less. The log is only 239kb in size.

EDIT: Just tried going back to where it's black, deleting the log again and relogging in. The error log is again 239kb. It probably mulitiplied the number of lines because I logged on, changed the port number cause it wasn't night on test and then logged back in again. So the original log had multiple sessions on it I think. Location apparently doesn't matter on how the log looks (ie. area with blackness or not the log is the same).

Edited by CelticLady

Ignore those messages for now, I don't think they are responsible for this particular problem. See if you find other messages in the problem areas.

I went to the portals room, it is not and has never been black, and the following was added to the log:

elc/misc.c.my_fopen:421 - Error: Can't open file "./particles/moon_bubbles1.part"

elc/misc.c.my_fopen:421 - Error: Can't open file "./particles/moon_bubbles1.part"

I went to Iscalrith storage where it is black, back to portals room and then back to the black area in Idaloran. Nothing new was added at either location.

EDIT: Don't know if this helps, but I noticed as I was rotating my view around, the number next to where it says "Lights" changed from 6 when everything looks normal to 4 when it goes black. I'll try to get to another black location and check that again before I run out of night time.

EDIT2: Iscalrith storage Lights: 6 when it looks normal, 5 when black. There is a very, very small bit that is at 6 when it is black and that is at the edge of the view rotation between black and normal.

Edited by CelticLady

Ok, now please delete your log, and only go to the problem location, don't go anywhere else, and post any interesting stuff from your errors log.

Deleted log. Sitting on Idaloran at 169,91 on test server (cause it's night there 05:08:14 game time). Error log shows the same as before, nothing new. Rotating the view changes the value after "Lights" from 6 where everything looks normal all the way down to 1. When my view faces any direction where the value for Lights is below 6 it goes black.

If you want me to check this on the regular server since it's day there then let me know and i'll log this one in on there.

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 22 - 2624

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 21 - 2624

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 23 - 2628

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 13 - 2624

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 14 - 2624

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 24 - 2628

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 25 - 2628

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 26 - 2628

elc/actor_scripts.c.add_command_to_actor:1010 - Unable to add command 20 - 2628

This is the only thing different in my error log from Celtic Lady's. It happened on my first login and tour of the affected areas. All are repeated several times. I was unable to reproduce it re-logging in and doing similar actions.

I finally had some time to try and contribute to this topic. I logged on to the test server with the latest el.exe from both my laptop (has intel card and problem) and desktop (no problem), and made sure all the settings were equal.

I did my experiments in Iscalrith underground at (544,643) during daytime. From my results presented below I get the idea that it is not a problem with an item on the map, but rather the vertical extend of the wall or some similar property of the large scale structure of the map.

My laptop has an Mobile Intel 915GM/910GML Express Chipset Family Video card with driver version 6/6/2006 6.14.10.4609 (most recent version), the laptop itself is an Inspiron 2200, 1.4 GHz, 512 M RAM.

This machine is running windows XP home.

The desktop is an Alienware with 2.4 GHz Pentium and 1 GB of RAM and an ASUS A9600 video card, also running Windows XP.

First observation was that the darkness problem on the laptop also occurs when I am NOT ON the testserver, that is, if I look around while not logged on, I get blackouts in certain areas in Iscalrith underground.

I have also tried to reproduce the problem at night, and find no day/night differences in behavior.

Once the screen is dark, tilting/rotating with the arrow keys to previously ok places often leaves it black, but this disappears as soon as I click with the scroll button on the mouse (middle button, used to control camera angles). This effect does not completely reproduce, but it does seem to make a difference how I move the camera. It seems like the mouse button toggles the black/visible thing a bit.

Zooming in/out does not affect when the screen goes black, but tilt angle has a large effect.

Below I have reproduced a bunch of screenshots from different angles with otherwise the same settings on the PC and Laptop.

I am available the next couple of days in the evening (European time) if further experiments might be useful. I hope this sheds some light on this issue. I have not tested the location in Idaloran, but hope this helps already.

Maxine

[edit 27-may: replaced pictures with new screenies from laptop with latest exe and replaced chat_log & error_log for laptop. Screenies are with larger window size to allow for info to be displayed properly. No difference in behavior with previous posted screenies]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xjbyuwkm.jpg Laptop facing north

dwvdzowb.jpg PC facing North

rnsmlftd.jpg Laptop facing South

PC facing South (identical picture only different FPS)

sefaicjh.jpg Laptop facing South viewed from top down tilted with scroll button on mouse

kghiaxuo.jpg Laptop facing South tilted with arrow keys

jrksykja.jpg PC facing South top down

jdcloabq.jpg Laptop facing SWW, last visible view

qdaapkgk.jpg PC facing SWW

mwsexbnx.jpg Laptop facing due West

xtlcrpgf.jpg PC facing due West

De settings used are:

Video mode 2 (640x480)

#shadows_on= 0

#use_shadow_mapping= 0

#max_shadow_map_size = 512

#clouds_shadows = 0

#show_reflection= 0

#show_fps=1

#limit_fps=0

#poor_man = 0

#use_vertex_array = 1

#use_mipmaps= 0

#use_point_particles= 1

#particles_percentage= 50

#mouse_limit= 9

#normal_camera_rotation_speed = 35.0

#fine_camera_rotation_speed = 5.5

#view_digital_clock = 1

#name_text_size = 1

#name_font = 0

#chat_text_size = 1

#chat_font = 0

#render_fog= 0

#use_vertex_buffers= 1

#click_speed = 300

#compass_north = 1

#write_ini_on_exit = 1

#ati_click_workaround= 0

#use_alpha_border = 1

#isometric = 0

#perspective= 0.3

#near_plane= 17

#anti_alias = 0

#gamma = 1.2

#render_skeleton = 0

#render_mesh = 1

#use_frame_buffer= 1

#use_old_clicker = 1

#shadow_map_size= 7

#use_compiled_vertex_array= 1

#autoupdate = 0

#windows_on_top = 1

#follow_cam = 0

#extended_cam = 1

#follow_strength = 0.09

#const_speed = 7

#lin_speed = 3

#quad_speed = 9

#zcull = 50

#tiles = 1

#2D = 1

#obj = 1

#act = 1

#blend = 1

#special_effects= 1

#serverpopup= 1

#customupdate= 1

#use_3d_alpha_blend= 0

#enable_blood= 0

#use_eye_candy= 1

#min_ec_framerate= 15

#max_ec_framerate= 60

#use_lamp_halo= 0

#transparency_resolution_fix= 0

#use_light_columns= 1

#use_fancy_smoke= 1

#light_columns_threshold= 5

#max_idle_cycles_per_second= 40

edit: Added chat_log and error log info below

chat-log laptop (edited with latest exe run):

Log started at 2007-05-27 01:06:36 localtime (West-Europa (standaardtijd))

[01:06:36] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[01:06:36] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[01:06:36] Couldn't find the GL_*_point_sprite extension, not using it...

[01:06:36] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[01:06:36] GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

[01:06:36] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, NOT using it...

[01:06:36] GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

[01:06:36] GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension found, using it.

[01:06:36] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, not using it...

[01:06:36] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[01:06:36] GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, NOT using it...

[01:06:36] GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, NOT using it...

[01:06:36] Couldn't find the OpenGL Shading Language extension, not using it...

[01:06:36] Please update your graphic card driver!

[01:06:36] Your graphic card supports the absolute minumin requirements for the next el release, but don't expect that you can use all features.

[01:06:36] Point Particles disabled.

[01:06:36] Framebuffer disabled (need newer driver)

[01:06:46] Connecting to Server...

[01:06:51] Test Server!

[01:09:15] Window size adjusted to 780x550

[01:09:36] Window size adjusted to 990x720

chat_log from PC

Log started at 2007-05-26 13:22:23 localtime (W. Europe Daylight Time)

[13:22:23] Window size adjusted to 990x720

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_*_point_sprite extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, NOT using it...

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, NOT using it...

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, NOT using it...

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension found, using it.

[13:22:24] Your graphic card supports default requirements for the next el release.

[13:22:55] Connecting to Server...

[13:22:55] Test Server!

[13:23:26] Window size adjusted to 640x480

[13:24:05] Shadow map size not supported! Shadow map size reduced to 256!

**changed options manually to match laptop**

***followed by many disconnects ***

Error_log Laptop (updated, only showing last lines, omitted 5000 lines of error 586)

elc/asc.c.get_string_property:586 - Unable to find property group in node hskin

elc/misc.c.my_fopen:421 - Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

elc/misc.c.my_fopen:421 - Error: Can't open file "custom_mirrors.lst"

elc/misc.c.my_fopen:421 - Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

elc/sound.c.add_sound_object:663 - Got invalid sound number

elc/draw_scene.c.draw_scene:70 - OpenGL error 1284

Error_log PC

Log started at 2007-05-26 13:22:28 localtime (W. Europe Daylight Time)

[13:22:28] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[13:22:28] Error: Can't open file "custom_mirrors.lst"

[13:22:28] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

[13:23:10] Got invalid sound number

[13:23:10] Error: Can't open file "counters_maxine.dat"

[13:26:20] Got invalid sound number

Last message repeated 9 times

[14:25:20] Client closed

Edited by Maxine

Maxine, that is very helpful, but can you try the same thing with the new el.exe that I provided? It has some debug info that can be more useful.

On a MacBook with Intel graphics card, I see almost similar bug, but not totally dark.

black.png

That is almost what it looks like for me with the fog turned on. Turn off the fog and see if it goes all black.

after searching around a while, I found this value means GL_STACK_OVERFLOW (the meanings really should be added in the logs, which I think I'll add shortly, just a number is pretty useless).

also, it's called at the start of draw_scene(), while there's another check near the end (just before a check for if it should sleep())...

AFAIK, no timers do any opengl work, and I checked the cache system (since that's called in start_rendering() which calls draw_scene()), so theoretically it's happening at the wrong time, it should happen at the latter call...

perhaps it would be useful to know, how much graphical memory do people have who are seeing this? (including if it's 'shared' or whatever...) (note to self/other coders: end pg 11)

are there people with other cards/chips using less than, say, 32M/64M video memory, who have been to these places without a problem?

are there people who are using drivers with OpenGL 1.4 or lower not with an intel chip that have seen this problem? (intel docs say max of OpenGL 1.4 support)

you can get the OpenGL version with #glinfo in-game

We don't have English error names because we'd need GLU for that, and I don't want yet another library.

Anyway, nice find, we are now closer. Some googling revealed this:

http://ytosa.home.att.net/tosaqt.html#stackoverflow

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:XU1hh...mp;client=opera

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-9594.html

So maybe we have a push without a pop somewhere?

Some time back, when Umrion was working on the particle systems, there was a similar problem on Intel cards, which I patched (after many days of searching). As it turned out, some pushed states (attributes) would not be popped on the Intel driver. If I recall correctly, my patch fixed it by moving those attributes to enable/disable instead of push/pop.

I have suspected that this was the root of this problem for a while, but ttlanhil's post seems to confirm my suspicions; The darkness may be caused as one of the attributes which sits on the stack until it overflows, despite the code being correct.

EDIT: Could be Intel has a very small attribute stack - anyone want to try glGet GL_ATTRIB_STACK_DEPTH and GL_MAX_ATTRIB_STACK_DEPTH?

Edited by crusadingknight

We don't have English error names because we'd need GLU for that, and I don't want yet another library.
we already link with -lGLU in the makefiles, and global.h includes glu.h ... the call to name-ify it was #ifdef'd for GLUT (not GLU).

I would expect it to work, since we already use GLU, but if not, then we can always have our own switch() on the few defines (not as forward-portable, but it's far better than numbers that aren't even in decimal in the headers :) )

if it were that simple, other users would get it too... unless there's a smaller stack in the intel cards/drivers, and we only have the extra calls done a couple of times (so a base 10 calls, plus up to 30 that get pushed/popped)

CK, do you recall what changes they were? if not the code itself, then when about it went into CVS, and/or what the commit message would have been? (can use those to try to find the commit)

Unfortunately, I can't test when the darkness started, as the laptop I use now has a NVidia card in it. To demonstrate how the Intel card had problems with attributes and saving state with push/pop, see the last fix: http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/....25&r2=1.26

Extremely simple, and technically useless, but it still had to be disabled manually because of issues with the state/attribute stack.

Edited by crusadingknight

tracing through all the code to see where the offending call is would take ages... I suggest an #ifdef OPENGL_TRACE that will call CHECK_GL_ERRORS() at the end of all the functions that make OpenGL calls...

this will probably slow the client down by a lot, but we'll be able to find far more precisely when the offending call is made