Eternal Lands Official Forums
DarkenedAuras

Leveling up HP, carry capacity, etc...without using Pickpoints

I have noticed how hard it is to get one pickpoint in later levels then you gotta wait for 2 to make a cross attribute (plus you have to decide what to use it on out of like 6 nexus, 6+ attributes, not to mention perks) so I thought maybe it would be easier (and make people work on other skills more if you did something like Champions of Norrath or Baulder's Gate)

What I mean by that is like every time you level up your:

ATTACK (your HP goes up a little)

DEFENSE (your Dexterity or Toughness goes up a little)

HARVESTING (your carry capacity goes up)

ALCHEMY (Your % chance to make an enriched essence goes up a bit)

POTIONING (Your Exp. goes up a little)

SUMMONING (your Charm goes up a little)

MANUFACTORING (The tools break rate decreases a bit)

MAGIC (your MP goes up a little)

CRAFTING (Your research time goes down a little)

OVERALL (everything listed above happens)

I don't know maybe something along those line and perhaps even make it where after every ten levels in a needed skill the nexus goes up 1 like:

Summoning+ 10levels= 1 nexus point to animal

This is just imo and an idea I think would help alot I would like to make this a poll if possible just let me know what you think. :P

I agree with kibora but it wouldnt be bad if additional god quests were added. For example 1 nmt cape and u get 1 magic nexus, or one tit long of thermal and u get one artificial etc. 1 expensive quest for each god with nmt cape and magic swords.

I think the whole idea is that in EL you have to make tradeoffs. You don't want it to be possible for somebody to excel in every area fairly easily. If you want to get futher ahead in combat you might need to tradeoff the ability to manufacture stuff. If you want to be an uber-potioner then you'll have to put off summoning a little.

By forcing some degree of character specialization it creates more of a market for buying and selling things. Those who have devoted their online lives to dominating in KF suddenly have to buy just about everything from somebody else, but on the other hand they can sell drops to those who slave over the forges.

I like the system EL is using. It doesn't force commitment to a single class at time of character creation, but it does require characters to make decisions that can't easily be changed.

This is Eternal Lands, not a PS2 game

:dry: I realize that...but I was just saying changes in the way of that game couldn't hurt :doze:

I think the whole idea is that in EL you have to make tradeoffs. You don't want it to be possible for somebody to excel in every area fairly easily. If you want to get futher ahead in combat you might need to tradeoff the ability to manufacture stuff. If you want to be an uber-potioner then you'll have to put off summoning a little.

:P I understand this too but it's not real easy to excel in anything...like me for example (I am a harvester...while I harvest I work on alchemy, I work on attack and defense when I get uber bored, and those help me to gradually level magic...but I've let potion, manu, and crafting go pretty much completely and summoning I do every now and then because of how many pickpoints need to go into different nexuses. I just think a little boost should be in order when u level up a skill (or perhaps just decrease the amount of experience needed to level up overall) because it takes so long to get 1 and if you want to put it on attribute you have to have 2 to see a difference. :(

:doze: I understand this too but it's not real easy to excel in anything...

Well, that depends on how you define "excel". Two years from now people will be complaining because they only have 2000 EMU and it is too hard to get to useful levels like 4000.

Remember, a lot of players on EL have been playing for years, and often for long periods of time each day. You can't measure yourself against the top 10 list and conclude that it is taking too long to excel.

That is actually one issue with the game - it seems like most new items are added to address gaps at the high end (not all - I realize this). Most people don't have level-70 in just about anything. However, many people do. It is easy for me to look at my emu of 340 and think that it is small, when in reality it is small only in relation to that of others.

One issue, however, is that most prices are set by high-level chars. Manufacturing is cheaper when you don't have many failures, so newbies end up losing money since the market is flooded by low-level stuff made by level-60+ chars. Likewise it is hard for a newbie to make money harvesting with a 300 emu when somebody with 1000 emu is willing to haul iron for what some people would have to charge for flowers.

I'm not sure if there is an easy fix to some of these problems. If there were more demand for high-level items maybe the high-level chars would buy more supplies rather than making them on their own. Steel bars are one of the few mid-level items that actually sell strong for this reason.

Remember, a lot of players on EL have been playing for years, and often for long periods of time each day. You can't measure yourself against the top 10 list and conclude that it is taking too long to excel.

I've been playing for over 6 months and usually 8-10 hours within the day and still (my highest thing is harvesting which is in the 50's)

I've been playing for over 6 months and usually 8-10 hours within the day and still (my highest thing is harvesting which is in the 50's)

If you're focusing on harvesting it isn't easy to level - due to the hourly limit. You could burn coins on harvesting medallions I suppose to get more xp in this area.

I don't play nearly as much and for only about as many months, and I'm at OA 59. None of my individual levels are in the 50s, although I'm in the 40s on alchemy.

Still, having levels in the 50s is nothing to laugh at - the higher levels take a LOT of time to advance. At those kinds of levels I'd avoid focusing on quick advancement and find other goals within the game - like using your levels to help others out who are newer...

ATTACK (your HP goes up a little)

DEFENSE (your Dexterity or Toughness goes up a little)

HARVESTING (your carry capacity goes up)

ALCHEMY (Your % chance to make an enriched essence goes up a bit)

POTIONING (Your Exp. goes up a little)

SUMMONING (your Charm goes up a little)

MANUFACTORING (The tools break rate decreases a bit)

MAGIC (your MP goes up a little)

CRAFTING (Your research time goes down a little)

OVERALL (everything listed above happens)

Some of this I really like; I always thought that MP and magic levels should be more closely related, for example. But other parts like potioning/exp and crafting/research don't make much sense. The a/d should DEFINITELY not be implemented, imo, because it would help out high-leveled fighters even more. But some of it sounds good, and should be looked into.

Likewise it is hard for a newbie to make money harvesting with a 300 emu when somebody with 1000 emu is willing to haul iron for what some people would have to charge for flowers.

Actually, its very easy to reach 1000 emu character, of coz it will be harvest+mix only char, but its possible even in ur first few weeks of playing.

Take perks: icd, godless, ph, gelly, anti, (optional)scotty. It will give u 35 "free" pps( 32 w/o scotty if u r too poor for it :) . Put 2pps in inorg nexus to harv iron/silver, put rest in ur physique.

Even not counting scotty died perk it will give u p96 at only 62 overall lvl( u can mix a little so its not hard to reach that lvl or u can just harvest. p96c4 gives 1000 emu, and also u will have 250 health which is very ok for harv and u dont need to use col (u can use mol coz it needs only 0 human nexus) to reach 280hp.

Before u take anti dont forget tobuy enough of pickaxes, needed books etc, or make sure ur in guild with helpfull ppl B)

Price of iron ore is and always will be(unless some drastic changes ingame will be implemented;p) ~3gc coz of 1 reason: u simply compare time for harving and hauling it to other harvestables that gives u easy money ( bl's/silver/coal).

Play hard but also smart :P

eMPi

Your suggestion includes something good imo. Though not all your suggestions for which skill or atribute raises, this could be worked out.

I didn't mean that the things listed HAD to be what went there (I just thought every skill should raise something...and I was running out of things to put...they were just suggestions) :P

Your suggestion includes something good imo. Though not all your suggestions for which skill or atribute raises, this could be worked out.

I didn't mean that the things listed HAD to be what went there (I just thought every skill should raise something...and I was running out of things to put...they were just suggestions) :P

And I didn't mean that you meant that they all HAD to be listed ;)

The ideaa in general is good, period. :icon13:

I think it's copying. EL should be unique and stay that way. Those games are hack&slash style games, and that idea really suits them, but i doubt it suits MMORPG very well.

Yes it would be nice to get more carry capacity with just harvesting, but imo the gap between hardcore players and not-so-hardcore players would grow even more and that's not nice.

I think it's copying. EL should be unique and stay that way. Those games are hack&slash style games, and that idea really suits them, but i doubt it suits MMORPG very well.

Yes it would be nice to get more carry capacity with just harvesting, but imo the gap between hardcore players and not-so-hardcore players would grow even more and that's not nice.

EQ/Champions of Norrath, isn't hack-n-slash. They are D&D-originated MMO RPG. They however use a class system, where EL uses a nexus system. In the core it's the same thing, only restrictions aren't forced by choosing a class/race but pp distribution.

oopsy, my bad :D

You see i have only played Champions: Return to Arms single player and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance2 and iirc they are completely different from those.

Next time i will pay more attention :(