Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hades

spell range

Sounds like a good way to utilize magic nexus :)

edit: e.g. 1 tile farther for every 2 or 3 points in magic nexus

Edited by Ermabwed

i like the sound of both!!!

I would be willing to put loads into mag nexus if so

This could work and be useful after the implementation of missles, then maybe the game could have fire balls and lighting bolts and alike as magic spells. But currently this doesn't work very well.

Even with the missle system there is the problem with the view in EL, currently it's quite hard to get a good overview of the situation. And as you might have noticed, when you try and walk too many tiles away from your char it doesn't move. I bet there is some problem involved in that too.

Also remember the new perception change, what would be the use for 20 tile range when you can see 3?

Also remember the new perception change, what would be the use for 20 tile range when you can see 3?

that is only through the night, you should be able to see fine through the day :hiya:

This could work and be useful after the implementation of missles, then maybe the game could have fire balls and lighting bolts and alike as magic spells. But currently this doesn't work very well.

care to explain? what about harm, poison, mana drain, remote heal, etc?

Well, if this would be tied to nexus it's obviously up to the players how many pickpoints or hydrobars they want to spend for something that would be only useful at daytime (still useful) in you scenario.

If this would be tied to skill, you'd get the benefit for free anyways.

Alternatively one could have a minimum range at rec level going up to a maximum range at X levels above no fail level.

And perhaps that would add more options for 'mage' characters, high perception, high magic nexus/level: real chance to kill by magic alone.

Hmm nah :hiya: Guess I "missed" those but still the main point was about how the vision is in EL, even in daytime.

Well, if this would be tied to nexus it's obviously up to the players how many pickpoints or hydrobars they want to spend for something that would be only useful at daytime (still useful) in you scenario.

If this would be tied to skill, you'd get the benefit for free anyways.

Alternatively one could have a minimum range at rec level going up to a maximum range at X levels above no fail level.

And perhaps that would add more options for 'mage' characters, high perception, high magic nexus/level: real chance to kill by magic alone.

Well, I haven't seen anyone spend hydro bars for enough perception to make a difference, so I doubt hydro bar points will go to anything buy p/c anyway. One Magic Immunity and 2 hits and the one trying to be fancy magician is a goner.

Unless magic nexus + skill could create some strong shield or the game play got faster some how I don't see how a character can be a mage really. Also remember EL is suppose to be classless.

Also about the range, isn't it allready quite enough range? At least considering the actual vision we currently have.

I like the idea not only to attack but also to protect your team. A player like a mage with com, could create a magic registance or magic armour shield and protect all his guildies around him.Something like heal summoned.

The advantage of a high magic level is that you can cast higher level spells, less failures, and stronger effect.

So those advantages are enough.

However, a heall allies spell would be nice. Would work on your guildies only.

Like in "not targetted" and affecting an area surrounding you, affecting all guildies in that area? Sounds nice :D

The difference is - harm, poison, mana drain also work "through" obstacles, not requiring a clear line of sight like an arrow shot would. This might be different for fireballs, lighting bolts etc. since they are "matter", not only magic energy ;)

The difference is - harm, poison, mana drain also work "through" obstacles, not requiring a clear line of sight like an arrow shot would. This might be different for fireballs, lighting bolts etc. since they are "matter", not only magic energy :D

I may be a bit biased, since I am training as a mage myself, but I think that spells should not require aiming. (Roleplay: The magic can find its way to the target no matter what is in the way, because the magic allows it to bypass physical constraints.)

I also think that both range and potency should be affected by magic level. After all, a high leveled mage should learn how to send ranged spells farther than they would have on their first cast. And, to revisit an ancient argument, there needs, for mage characters to have any kind of power in fights, to be a way to break magic immunity. If this does not happen, mages will never be able to be viewed as equals by fighters, as all classes of players should be.

, for mage characters to have any kind of power in fights, to be a way to break magic immunity

:blink:

The advantage of a high magic level is that you can cast higher level spells, less failures, and stronger effect.

So those advantages are enough.

However, a heall allies spell would be nice. Would work on your guildies only.

Heal allies sounds a great idea. (any new spell is always good :omg: )

We need higher level spells thou. Magic highest level is 50 while summoning is 75 for example and they are always complaining :confused:

We need higher level spells thou. Magic highest level is 50 while summoning is 75 for example and they are always complaining :confused:

really theres barely anything to strive for after level 50 magic, and then at and above level 78 magic, its is basically pointless as the stronger effect you get from spells rises so slow...

we do need more higher levelled spells :blink: